I got Google Voice working.

Search This thread

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
Detailing the process:

Uninstalled Google Voice on the Droid and Xoom
Reinstalled Google Voice from the Market on the Droid
During setup, chose "Do not use Google Voice to make calls" and pressed 'Skip' on voicemail setup
Launch Titanium Backup, scroll to Google Voice, click it, press 'Backup!' Terminate uit, let it do its thing
Connect the Droid to the PC, copy the 3 files it created to my desktop
Connect the Xoom, copy said 3 files to the TitaniumBackup folder
Launch Titanium Backup on the Xoom, go to Backup/Restore and look for Google Voice, should be near the bottom, greyed out with a line through it. Click it(not long press) and push 'Restore!'
It'll ask if you want to restore app only or app+data, choose app+data
Restore the app, after it's restored, don't click 'Open,' click 'Okay'
Data will then restore as it should
Go out to your home screen, open the app drawer and open Google Voice
If it shows your inbox the first time but force closes, you'll notice an error message in the notification area, click it and it'll ask if you want to allow Google Voice to use your Google account, click yes, then you can re-launch GV and it should be working.

That's the exact process I used. I just tried my backup with my Droid again for certain on 2.2 and it works still.

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
One more thing, the version of busybox installed is 1.17.1 and it's located at /system/bin/ on both my Droid and my Xoom.

Last edited:

robrowald

Jul 29, 2010
no go for me. I wiped my xoom to make sure it was clean.
i restore it from my backup (from my droid x)
I open the app and it instantly force closes.

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
weird... wish I could help figure this out, have no idea where to look... mine has actually gotten more stable, not having the refresh issue or failure to send anymore.

despich

Mar 1, 2011
fort wayne, in
I tried it as well and I just get force closes. I wasn't using the pro version of titanium but otherwise I filled the instructns to the T. Hopefully someone figures this out though.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App

despich

Mar 1, 2011
fort wayne, in
I even tried it again (hate to give up on it with even a sliver of hope) and uninstalled voice on the droid first and reinstalled and set it up with just the basic settings as per the instructions Before i did the backup. My droid is on cyanagon 6.

I just get FC on the xoom.

One thing that may be messing me up is my google voice account is not my default phone account like the one person that has sucess was. That and the fact I am not using the paid version of titanium. But I ain't spending 7 bucks unless I know it makes a difference.

Dan

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
I even tried it again (hate to give up on it with even a sliver of hope) and uninstalled voice on the droid first and reinstalled and set it up with just the basic settings as per the instructions Before i did the backup. My droid is on cyanagon 6.

I just get FC on the xoom.

One thing that may be messing me up is my google voice account is not my default phone account like the one person that has sucess was. That and the fact I am not using the paid version of titanium. But I ain't spending 7 bucks unless I know it makes a difference.

Dan

I'm using the free version of TB too.

despich

Mar 1, 2011
fort wayne, in
OK there may be some hope. Tried it again and it was still doing the fc. This time I rebooted though and low and behold when I started voice after the reboot it DID START and it had the first page of the setup wizard showing, but no matter what I did after that point though it would fc. If I hit next or I tried the menu it fc. But it was progress. I tried restoring just the data again at that point but then it would just fc immediately.

Any suggestions?

Dec 5, 2010
Tried this on my NOOKcolor running honeycomb. I am having the same issues that everyone else is having. After restore the data, it force closes as soon as I launch Google Voice. If i don't restore it will not get past the first screen. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S phone to backup. Will keep trying different ways.

robrowald

Jul 29, 2010
SO I was able to get it working using the method discussed on Android Central:

1. Made a backup of GV in MybackupPro (app+data)
2. Made a backup of "MyBackupPro" with TB (from my phone)
3. Restored MyBAckupPro from TB on Xoom
4. Restored GV from MybackupPro
5. Cried in relief

despich

Mar 1, 2011
fort wayne, in

5. Cried in relief

I got MyBackupPro but it doesn't show Google Voice as an app it can backup? Shows all the other ones and voice does work on the Phone and shows up in the Setting - Manage applications.

Dan (yanking on the last bit of hair I have left)

despich

Mar 1, 2011
fort wayne, in
OK there may be some hope. Tried it again and it was still doing the fc. This time I rebooted though and low and behold when I started voice after the reboot it DID START and it had the first page of the setup wizard showing, but no matter what I did after that point though it would fc. If I hit next or I tried the menu it fc. But it was progress. I tried restoring just the data again at that point but then it would just fc immediately.

Any suggestions?

Ok still fiddling with this. Something that I noticed that may be messing it up for me. I can't completely uninstall voice on my phone. It appears Voice was included with Cyanogen 6 so the only options I have are to remove the Update. Even manually deleting the APK and the data files and rebooting didn't work as the phone immediately just reinstalled it like it was a update. What i am thinking is because it was included with the ROM it may be running from a different location. I say this because once I try to restore it on the tablet with titanium, i get 2 directories under /data/data
.com.google.android-apps.googlevoice
and
.com.google.android.apps.googlevoice
and they both have basically the exact same folder structure but are in fact different locations. So I am thinking the app is installing in one directory and Titanium is restoring the data to the other.
Now I have spent a few hours trying to manually copy the data folders and I can get Voice to start briefly and display my saved messages but it immediately FC right after that.

I can't do the MyBackup Pro method as for some reason MyBackupPro does not see the google voice app as a option to backup.

tlkid064

Nov 15, 2008

5. Cried in relief

I used this method and eventually it worked. It was easiest when i removed titanium, mybackup pro and all backups from both my xoom and my Nexus One. The problem (I believe) was different versions running on different devices. I had to remove Google Voice from my phone and reinstall it with an apk because I had one cooked into my rom and MyBackup Pro couldn't grab the apk file that way. I can confirm that GV works though and I have tested messages as well.

EDIT: I also noticed something else a little odd. I have the same version of Google Voice on my Xoom and my Nexus One. Oddly, when I go to Sync and Notifications, the options are different. On the Nexus One, I have the option to Synchronize Inbox (making notifications instant). On the Xoom, I only have the option to Refresh Inbox (which can be set at intervals as quickly as 5 mins). Not gamebreaking by any means but very odd.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I modified the apk to get it to run for me. Seems fine to me, but I am a noob at this so it could also break everything. Shouldn't require root or anything. YMMV

edit: Fixed the attachment to use the proper version
    edit: Can probably ignore most of this and use this APK instead:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=11955195&postcount=75

I've been bothered by Google Voice not working since I got my Xoom on launch day, but have been using the web portal... Until now.

I loaded up my Droid, backed up Google Voice+settings with Titanium Backup, restored it on my Xoom and it came up without doing the setup, since it already had my account settings installed. It force closed the first time but I noticed an error in the notification area... Error was asking for permission to use that email address as my Google Voice account, I accepted, re-launched Google Voice and success, full app, working as it would on the phone. Gives notifications and everything.

Enjoy!

edit: Attaching screenshots

GoogleVoice1.png

GoogleVoice2.png
    Here is 0.4.2.24 fixed
    This method seems to work pretty well. Log in to google voice and add your tablet's number which can be found in Settings>About Tablet>Status. It will try to verify from you browser, but just hang up. Then open google voice app on your xoom and go through the setup it won't even ask you for your xoom's number because it already knows it and you can move on to your inbox. After everything is setup, go back to your browser and delete the xoom number that isn't verified. Voila the app still works for text.
    Same issue. Anyone else? Any ideas?
    @justin0469 @bilago:

I had this problem trying to re-setup Google Voice on my G2 (with a non-US SIM) overseas (long story). My solution was to let it freeze on the voicemail setup, and then switch out of the app to Settings and Force Stop it. When I loaded GV after that, things looked to be fine (at least I was able to verify SMS was working, which was the point).