FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

FPse - new Xperia PLAY specific version soon? Check it out.

1,056 posts
Thanks Meter: 357

Post Reply Email Thread
As you may know, there is no touchpad support on FPse unless we are on ICS. So I e-mailed to Schtruck and asked about porting it to GB:

"Hello. Could you make an update with support for Xperia PLAY touchpad but for GingerBread? Xperia PLAY officially won't get ICS at all so touchpad support on GB would be great!"

This is what I received:
"this update would mean a specific version for Xperia Play on GB. huge work because the Java part is big regarding all option for FPse. i can study a port."

I don't really understand this reply... What do you think? New update = new specific app exclusive to Xperia PLAY?

Sent from my beautiful Xperia PLAY using Tapatalk 2
16th June 2012, 02:06 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 177

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by romcio47

As you may know, there is no touchpad support on FPse unless we are on ICS. So I e-mailed to Schtruck and asked about porting it to GB:

"Hello. Could you make an update with support for Xperia PLAY touchpad but for GingerBread? Xperia PLAY officially won't get ICS at all so touchpad support on GB would be great!"

This is what I received:
"this update would mean a specific version for Xperia Play on GB. huge work because the Java part is big regarding all option for FPse. i can study a port."

I don't really understand this reply... What do you think? New update = new specific app exclusive to Xperia PLAY?

Sent from my beautiful Xperia PLAY using Tapatalk 2

His reply implies that he'll look into it and assess the time/practicality ratio.
He's at least considering it so I suppose that's good news
16th June 2012, 07:52 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
The way I read it:
Quote:

"What you're asking me to do is to write a version of FPse specifically for the Xperia PLAY on Android 2.3...

(My background understanding to Android programming: The Xperia PLAY's dual touchpads requires coding in C/C++ via Android NDK, and when using it, the normal Android programming libraries, which is in JAVA, cannot be used.)

Quote:

"... This will be a lot of work because FPse was written in JAVA and also relied heavily on the Android programming libraries; to support the touchpads will require NDK, which in turn messes up many other functions that depends on the Android programming libraries.

I can review the FPse project to see if it's really that bad, and see if there are work-arounds."

... but all that work for a few hundred Xperia PLAY sales? I think very unlikely.
16th June 2012, 02:11 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Well remember the awesome paulscode released a n64 emu with touch pad support. So this could be possible.

Sent from my R800i using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to sfex3best For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sfex3best Ad-Free
16th June 2012, 02:19 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 63

More
it would be quite hard i think, because it is so much easier that ics has built in drivers for mouse/pointing devices like our touchpads, he would probably need to do reverse engineering or somthing like that for gingerbread
16th June 2012, 05:14 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
I'll pay £5.99 for a touch pads version. Someone suggest to him he starts a Kickstarter for the project. Would love to have FPS and Ape Escape etc

Sent from my R800i using XDA
17th June 2012, 02:53 AM |#7  
Flag Skopje
Thanks Meter: 257

More
Mupen 64 (paulscode n64 emu) is open source, so he can "steal" the touchpad implementation from there.

And if Paul can do it on a free app I'm sure schtruck can do it for a paid one

Though with the newest update coming any moment now that brings shortcuts with individual settings I can forgive the lacking touchpad support
17th June 2012, 10:24 AM |#8  

More
Has someone told him he can just take it from Mupen? :-O :D

Sent from my 64gb Xperia Play
17th June 2012, 05:23 PM |#9  
Flag Rio de Janeiro
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Relevant thread! FPSE with touchpads on GB sounds awesome.

Enviado de meu R800i usando o Tapatalk 2
17th June 2012, 06:25 PM |#10  

More
Hopefully someone has emailed him by now... Post the reply here!

Sent from my 64gb Xperia Play
18th June 2012, 11:00 PM |#11  
Flag leicester
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Ok here goes I emailed fpse this

" Hi As a gamer with xperia play and as fpse is my most used app I follow the support of xperia play analogs very closely. I read an email you sent to an xda member saying you would look into it. I understand why it's easier to implement on ics.

I would like to point you towards mupen64 by Paul lamb a N64 emulator famous for using the analog, I would also like to point out how accurate it emulates the N64 stick. With mupen64 ae being open source then the coding is all done and I assume leaves very little work.

An xperia play version would be very popular as owner are almost guaranteed to buy your app.

Kindest wishes Dave

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia PLAY"

I have just received this reply.

" hello Dave,

i saw what Paul did, very good job.

i'll try to make near same thing to implement AnalogPAD on Xperia Play with android 2.3.

Best regards.

Schtruck"

I don't know about anyone else but this is the most straightforward answer I have heard on implementation of this crucial feature :D

Sent from my R800i using xda premium
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dabes88 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dabes88 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)