ZTE V768 (Concord) and V768G (Midnight) Development

Search This thread

ultravioletnanokitty

Jan 2, 2012
Denver, CO
Currently, we only have root access on these devices. I am currently working on a recovery build, and I have plans for CM7 and CM9 builds in the future. Here's how to consistently and easily get root access on the Tracfone V768G and almost certainly V768 (I have a V768G):

Root

The only functional root exploit I have found is via an obscure Chinese program called VROOT. While there is much speculation in other threads as to the nature of this program (and potential for malware), I have had success with it on multiple occasions where no other tool I tried worked. I have seen no evidence that it installs anything other than its strange app market (as an easily-removable user app!) and a superuser program called KingRoot (as a system app, where it should be). While it appears entirely benign and functional, I personally prefer to use superSU. Therefore, the below instructions will include the removal of KingRoot and installation of SuperSU in its place. It is assumed that you have ZTE's preloaded drivers installed and that you have confirmed adb is working.

Unfortunately, VROOT is a Windows-only application, though it works perfectly in a Windows virtual machine (that's how I use it!).

1. Download VROOT and the newest SuperSU
  2. Install and run VROOT. It might take more than one try to succeed.
  3. Confirm that KingRoot is installed, and uninstall the 100% Chinese app that is also present. At this point, your device is rooted. You can simply keep KingRoot, but I would advise continuing to install superSU.
  4. Extract "common/Superuser.apk" from the downloaded SuperSU zip and install it on the device via adb or the file manager.
  5. Open SuperSU and grant it root permissions when KingRoot prompts you. Swipe over to the settings pane and select "Switch superuser app".
  6. Follow its instructions. After rebooting the device, simply install SuperSU again, open it, update the su binary when prompted, and select "Install SuperSU inte /system" from the settings pane. You're done!

abmx7

Dec 13, 2005
San Juan, PR 00685
VROOT installs a app "Superuser.apk" not Kingroot

Hi, thanks for the info.
When I install VROOT via windows, it installs an app called 'Superuser' which I suppose it is to manage root access permissions for other apps. I see no 'KingRoot' app as you mentioned. I only see this 'Superuser' app and a Chinese app.
Either way, this 'Superuser' app appears to not working properly because I am not getting any prompt to either deny or grant root acess to apps like TitaniumBackup or even Root Checker.
I can get root acess via ADB Shell with the su command, but on the phone the 'Superuser' app from VROOT is not prompting me to allow/deny root access.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

pflatlyne

Apr 24, 2007
Hi, thanks for the info.
When I install VROOT via windows, it installs an app called 'Superuser' which I suppose it is to manage root access permissions for other apps. I see no 'KingRoot' app as you mentioned. I only see this 'Superuser' app and a Chinese app.
Either way, this 'Superuser' app appears to not working properly because I am not getting any prompt to either deny or grant root acess to apps like TitaniumBackup or even Root Checker.
I can get root acess via ADB Shell with the su command, but on the phone the 'Superuser' app from VROOT is not prompting me to allow/deny root access.
Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

I was working on getting a custom recovery,but then I ended up getting a Nexus 4 (and then later a nexus 5) and abandoned it. Ill take another look at it. Now that I dont need the phone its less of an issue if I brick it,so I can be a little more agressive.

Try this thread. This is what worked for my V768

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2217810

Last edited:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Currently, we only have root access on these devices. I am currently working on a recovery build, and I have plans for CM7 and CM9 builds in the future. Here's how to consistently and easily get root access on the Tracfone V768G and almost certainly V768 (I have a V768G):

Root

The only functional root exploit I have found is via an obscure Chinese program called VROOT. While there is much speculation in other threads as to the nature of this program (and potential for malware), I have had success with it on multiple occasions where no other tool I tried worked. I have seen no evidence that it installs anything other than its strange app market (as an easily-removable user app!) and a superuser program called KingRoot (as a system app, where it should be). While it appears entirely benign and functional, I personally prefer to use superSU. Therefore, the below instructions will include the removal of KingRoot and installation of SuperSU in its place. It is assumed that you have ZTE's preloaded drivers installed and that you have confirmed adb is working.

Unfortunately, VROOT is a Windows-only application, though it works perfectly in a Windows virtual machine (that's how I use it!).

3. Confirm that KingRoot is installed, and uninstall the 100% Chinese app that is also present. At this point, your device is rooted. You can simply keep KingRoot, but I would advise continuing to install superSU.
  4. Extract "common/Superuser.apk" from the downloaded SuperSU zip and install it on the device via adb or the file manager.
  5. Open SuperSU and grant it root permissions when KingRoot prompts you. Swipe over to the settings pane and select "Switch superuser app".
  6. Follow its instructions. After rebooting the device, simply install SuperSU again, open it, update the su binary when prompted, and select "Install SuperSU inte /system" from the settings pane. You're done!

Edit: was able to root with kingoroot my bad.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Root