[Fix]EE4 sdcard write protection for root users

Search This thread

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
XDA developers, Kejar, nor I are responsible for anything you do to your phone so as always use with care​

For those of you using a custom kernel with Build EE4 to gain root and have run into the Write protection pop up when trying to transfer files to your sdcard.

sdcard patch:
  • simply download below
  • place on sdcard
  • and flash using clockwork

All credit to Kejar , so please remember to thank him

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
You are a beast!!!

Why aren't you on irc foo?

Edit: KELJAR IS A BEAST!!!!

Btw dxc...keljar said it was a dam easy fix. Give me my macchiatos back!

Ill refund you tomorrow EDIT: DONE

and its as easy a fix as anything else is i never said it was a hard fix...ill pull the whole thread sorry

Last edited:

stranula

May 28, 2011
Ann Arbor
After first running this patch, the first time I plugged it in the usb storage option popped up, but then never came up again. I ended up having to go into Setting>USB Settings while the phone was unplugged and changing it to "Ask on Connection" and it works perfectly. When the "Mass Storage" Option is selected, Windows recognizes the phone as a cd rom. Thanks for all your work DroidXCon, Kejar, and everyone else.

rukshmani

Nov 13, 2006
Jersey City
How to Save it on SD when Its readonly

If the SD card is in read only mode, then how can I save the zip on sd card? Also the usb is not recognized because iof it being a read only mode

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
If the SD card is in read only mode, then how can I save the zip on sd card? Also the usb is not recognized because iof it being a read only mode

I would suggest putting the file on the SDcard before you update or pull the sdcard out and use a micro USB card reader to put it on.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org

You can unmount the SDCard and push the file to the SDCard via adb. The SDCard is only read-only when it is mounted as mass storage. I have a feeling that this change is going to cause a few short-term issues with custom kernels at some point, but only time will tell.

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
BTW - TY to kejar & DroidXcon, regardless of how easy a fix is or isn't they still deserve all the props and I will gladly donate the macchiatos to the guys, consider it done :)

RaptorMD

May 2, 2010
imnuts, I know you are working on an update to your debloated ROM, likely built off of EE4, will you be using a custom kernel in yours or stock until we know if it will cause issues?

Syn Ack

Jan 20, 2011
Atlanta
Orrrr. Just send the download link to your phone via email or whatever method you choose. Then use your supa fast 4G facemelter to download the file on your phone and then go into CWM and flash it.

basement_trash

Jun 11, 2011
Quick (noob) Question. When going to apply this patch in CWM, do you use the "apply patch option" or "zip to apply". Literally popped my rooting cherry an hour ago. Everything works besides SD Card being Read Only Status. Thanks in advance.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
1) download the sdcard fix from here and rename the file to update.zip
2) place update.zip in the adb platforms tools directory, where the adb command exits.
3) with USB mass storage off, I used ADB shell to push the file from the host computer to the Charge into the root folder of the SD card, /sdcard

(this assumes you don't have any file named update.zip already in the root of your sdcard)

adb devices
adb push update.zip /sdcard
adb reboot recovery

4) CWR should run and now you use the menu to apply update.zip.

Thanks OP.

Reactions: basement_trash
G

GuestK00231

Now I'm experiencing something slightly different...and this fix isn't helping.

Since the day I got the charge I've had issues writing to it in windows, wasnt til yesterday I started to really question more so why...thinking it was just a cheap card going bad.

I rooted the phone the day I got it, everything worked fine except being able to write to the sd card when mounted. Now I wasnt getting write protection, I was more so getting windows locking up, and things of that nature (thinking bad card right).

Yesterday I unrooted, and updated to ee4. it does the auto mount thing now, I mounted and was able to transfer 200 and some songs to the card, no issues.

Rooted late last night now running the debloated ee4, with pb&j kernel (voodoo enabled) and tried to move some icons over and unzip them, and it failed again, with io errors in the logs...

Anyone have any thoughts on this one...

got_rice64

May 25, 2011
LA
I was able to just plug my microSD card into a card reader to my laptop, and drop the zip file in there. booted into CWR and flashed the update. Worked like a charm. Thanks!!!

My way of testing was to take a screenshot. and verify that it was in the screencapture directory.

Cheers!

clk5068

Jun 14, 2011
No more root

So I installed cwr w Odin, then pb andj kernal w car and the fix w cwr and rebooted. Checkedrootchecker and o was root checked. Then I flashed debloated eel and it worked but now I have no root access. Root heck says busy box is installed correctly but it says "su binary not found in the system declared path??

Thanks

Chris

chadness

Mar 29, 2011
So I installed cwr w Odin, then pb andj kernal w car and the fix w cwr and rebooted. Checkedrootchecker and o was root checked. Then I flashed debloated eel and it worked but now I have no root access. Root heck says busy box is installed correctly but it says "su binary not found in the system declared path??

Thanks

Chris

Hmmm, strange. Try reflashing PBJ. If that doesn't work, try flashing GummyCharged and see if that helps?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XDA developers, Kejar, nor I are responsible for anything you do to your phone so as always use with care​

For those of you using a custom kernel with Build EE4 to gain root and have run into the Write protection pop up when trying to transfer files to your sdcard.

sdcard patch:
    • simply download below
    • place on sdcard
    • and flash using clockwork

All credit to Kejar , so please remember to thank him
    1) download the sdcard fix from here and rename the file to update.zip
    2) place update.zip in the adb platforms tools directory, where the adb command exits.
    3) with USB mass storage off, I used ADB shell to push the file from the host computer to the Charge into the root folder of the SD card, /sdcard

(this assumes you don't have any file named update.zip already in the root of your sdcard)

adb devices
    adb push update.zip /sdcard
    adb reboot recovery

4) CWR should run and now you use the menu to apply update.zip.

Thanks OP.
    Isn't that another rom? Don't I have to be rooted first?

It is, and you don't have to be rooted, you just have to have CWM installed.
    I feel silly asking this but do you have to first unzip the files before placing them on the SD card? The instructions doesn't mention unzipping, so I wasn't sure. Thanks

only the .Tar files have to be unzipped and then installed with odin..
    the .zip files are opened with the CWM when you flash a zip from the sd card.
    you will have to go to "recovery" then select install zip from sd card, select the zipped file and let CWM do the work..

if i have helped a quick Thank you would be appreciated