Weather tab "my location" not updating

Search This thread

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
I did of course work out how to change the weather on the home screen to one I had listed manually, until a fix can be found to the 'My Weather' problem.

Interestingly, yesterday evening I visited friends about 20 miles away in Burton on Trent, and the 'My Weather' screen updated to Burton on Trent weather, and continued updating itself whilst I was there (Snow and Rain). Upon returning home it stayed on that, and again refuses to update, giving the same error message. Travelling to Stafford today, despite being able to have Stafford weather set manually and updating ok (its about 8 miles away so is currently my default weather location), the 'My Weather' service will not work there either!

Even more interesting is that the 'My Weather' data shown has now changed from rain and snow as it was (correctly) in Burton on Trent last night, to Intermittent Cloud (as the nearest location - Stafford's manually set weather is showing now), although I still get the error message when trying to update it and it stills gives the same last update time as last night as it was in Burton when it was snowing/raining...

I have sent a detailed report to HTC's Customer Service and will post here whatever they respond with... not that hopeful though having used their customer service in the past!

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
Progress...

I'm currently in talks with HTC technical support to try and sort out this issue, and will advise of its outcome when it is resolved or whatever. They are being very helpful so hopefully it will all get sorted soon!

Steve

bym007

Apr 17, 2006
Melbourne
I have noticed this issue every now and again on my HD2. I am based in London and I have noticed that this issue is not location-centric.

A hardware reset/restart has always solved the problem for me, but it is far from ideal!

HTC update us now!

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
Some progress...

Well, Having tried the factory reset as suggested by HTC (didn't solve it) they have now escalated the problem to HTC HQ in Taiwan, and the technical support here are keeping the case open to keep up correspondence with me whilst its being - hopefully - resolved. From the input I've been able to give them, they do now recognise it as a real issue/problem that needs solving, not just a simple user setting error!

Steve

bym007

Apr 17, 2006
Melbourne
Well, Having tried the factory reset as suggested by HTC (didn't solve it) they have now escalated the problem to HTC HQ in Taiwan, and the technical support here are keeping the case open to keep up correspondence with me whilst its being - hopefully - resolved. From the input I've been able to give them, they do now recognise it as a real issue/problem that needs solving, not just a simple user setting error!

Steve

We are counting on your good effort! Please keep us updated.

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
I most certainly will keep this thread updated! In the mean time, if anyone else has the same problem, plesae supply details here for me to pass on to HTC.

For example, what network your on, location when trying to update, etc.

I'll post back any reports here when I get them.

Steve

levilad

Feb 5, 2010
HTC HD2 weather MY LOCATION

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue, I live in Dagenham, but my location never updates.

I travelled through East Ham, central London, it always updated. But never at home.

auximinies

Feb 23, 2008
Having seen it update both my location and the weather flawlessly whilst out and about yet not at home, I've just sat and had a play.

Firstly I deleted My City from the list of locations. Then I deleted Home from Google Maps, disabled and re-enabled My Location on Google Maps. I then updated the weather - and it had the usual cannot connect message.

So, how does it know now that I am at home - and therefore not to work - when I have deleted everything that said this was home AND done a soft reset?

Its a real pity - the weather and location update is not only very useful but is also the kind of eye candy I am using to sell WinMo to sad people still wedded to their iPoo. If only it worked properly!

antaed

Nov 23, 2009
I most certainly will keep this thread updated! In the mean time, if anyone else has the same problem, plesae supply details here for me to pass on to HTC.

For example, what network your on, location when trying to update, etc.

I'll post back any reports here when I get them.

Steve

network: rds-rcs

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
Thanks all for your feedback, I shall pass this on to the HTC technical guys who I've been talking to who should then pass it on to HTC HQ in Taiwan.

Stephen Selby

Dec 17, 2009
Do GSM signals bounce off the ionosphere? I sometimes get this GSM transmitter showing as my location that is really several KM away. Could it be that the weather app is working ok but you're getting a ghost location reading? Once it tries to download data from the ghost location, it won't work because the signal's too weak...?

Just a thought...

cd78

Oct 22, 2008
same prob here. my location updates at home in gloucester, although the signal is really bad here. i work in cheltenham, a few miles away and.it wont update. i have cheltenham as one of my other cities and that updates fine!

rodbeezy

Feb 5, 2009
Bay Area, CA.
I've been running into this issue for about the past 2 weeks or so, but on my Touch Pro (Fuze). The weather seems to update more frequently when I turn Wi-Fi on or have my phone connected via USB

Network: AT&T

gadgetwizard

Jun 17, 2007
I found this 'my location' feature to be more trouble than it's worth.

I downloaded and installed Dutty's disable my location .cab. Now my location is gone.

So now i just add a city close to me and update the weather for that.

I even disabled auto update 'cause i just don't need know the weather that badly.

I update in the morning to get a forecast then i look at the sky around me to get the latest weather.

The auto update and my location features might also be contributing to my blank screen problem posted elsewhere but the jury is still out on that one.

bellwelder

Jan 26, 2010
Newmarket
I have the same problem. I have written to Htc who informed me that a fix would be coming out soon. That was nearly three weeks ago and i have seen nothing yet!!!!!

phuong

Aug 25, 2005
Hi!
For my experience: aftert Hard Reset, then I run the Google Map, search my location from Google Map, the Google Map will search and located my location for the PPC. After that, open the weather on today screen, update my location sucessful after tab to enable update my location on the menu.

Zivsal

Jan 30, 2010
Your Location Weather update = The solution !

I faced the problem as described above. I found that in order to recover it you have to do one of the followings:

1) After soft reset it is usually working and u r updated.

2) If not, first activate the "Quick GPS" and then make the soft reset.

Good luck.
:)

sjukmidlands

Oct 17, 2008
Lichfield
I faced the problem as described above. I found that in order to recover it you have to do one of the followings:

1) After soft reset it is usually working and u r updated.

2) If not, first activate the "Quick GPS" and then make the soft reset.

Good luck.
:)

Unfortunately I've tried this several times and still it doesn't work, either here in Rugeley or even in Stafford, our County Town, although manual weather always updates and so does Google Maps without GPS switched on, so location services DO work and therefore it has to be the way HTC implement it that fails.

Still awaiting reply from HTC who have contacted HTC in Taiwan.
Steve

leaskovski

Mar 31, 2006
I have the same problem on my HD2 running the latest ROM. Im on Virgin (uses T-Mob) and was driving back from my mates and used Google Maps. This must have updated my location to Wisely. I have tired switching Google Maps on again to try and get it back to Reading, but to now avail. Its very annoying it showing me weather for a place I have only ever driven by on the M25!!!

Whats the deal with the error message for weather? I comes up occasionally even though it updates the weather?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    try updating over wifi & via sim internet & with gps on or by updating the gps file in settings.
    sometimes initial first location can be a problem, had it before on fresh flashed wm6.5 but can't remember exact sequence that overcome it ...

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Just tried mine and same issue so possibly technical issue or protocol changes that not compatible !