Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Duplicate an SD card install.

65 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By f1jim, Member on 20th April 2014, 06:03 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is there any way to duplicate an SD card install for my Nook Color? I have the latest Cyanogenmod nightly on an existing card but I can't seem to burn a new nightly starting from scratch. The new nightlies all update the existing card. I figure if I can just duplicate the existing, working card I can update it.
As a side note the new installations all give me an endless reboot at the cyanogen logo. I am using Win32Disk Imager, generic-sdcard-v1.3-CM7-9-10-10.1-10.2-11-largest-Rev8b.img, and can't get past this reboot loop. The cards all had working installs on them previously so I know there is not a compatibility issue with them.
Thanks in advance
f1jim

20th April 2014, 06:22 PM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,870

Donate to Me
More
You can use win32diskimager to make an image of the existing card and write that image back to a new card. But be warned, depending on the size of the existing SD, the image can be quite big (same size as the card).

On writing the new 8b image, are you letting it boot first to set up the partitions before you add the CM zip? Also, you said those cards had working installs on those before writing the image. Did you format the card first using SDFormatter? You need to to clear the prior installation. Use size adjustment and overwrite options too.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using XDA Premium HD app
20th April 2014, 06:25 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Thanks
I will try your suggestion on booting first without the zip file.
Thanks
f1jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

You can use win32diskimager to make an image of the existing card and write that image back to a new card. But be warned, depending on the size of the existing SD, the image can be quite big (same size as the card).

On writing the new 8b image, are you letting it boot first to set up the partitions before you add the CM zip?

20th April 2014, 06:26 PM |#4  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1jim

I will try your suggestion on booting first without the zip file.
Thanks
f1jim

see my edit above. You need to format the sd first.

20th April 2014, 07:00 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
I formatted the SD card, used Win32DiskImager, took the card out of the machine, reinserted it, inserted it in the Nook, It did it's thing till it got to the line that looks for the file starting with CM or ends in zip. It goes no further and just flashes a cursor. I take the SD card out of the nook and with it in the PC copy the nightly zip. I then insert it in the Nook and boot up. It appears to be installing everything then shuts down.
I reboot and it starts the reboot cycle over and over. Am I missing a step in the process?

Also I open Win32DiskImager and don't see a way to copy the working SD install. Seems like it only will read and write .img files.

Thanks
f1jim
20th April 2014, 07:24 PM |#6  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Win32diskimager is not supposed to copy the install. It is supposed to create an image (read the card to an img file) of the existing SD. Then use it to write that img file back to a new SD.

And when you formatted you used SDFormatter with the options I suggested? If you did not, then you only changed the SD headers and did not erase the prior data and it is still there when the SD partitions itself.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
21st April 2014, 12:52 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
I can't figure out how to get Win32DiskImager to make an image of the existing install. I see no menu selection to allow this. Are you sure you are not thinking of another program.
Or am I not seeing something obvious?
f1jim

Quote:

Win32diskimager is not supposed to copy the install. It is supposed to create an image (read the card to an img file) of the existing SD. Then use it to write that img file back to a new SD.

And when you formatted you used SDFormatter with the options I suggested? If you did not, then you only changed the SD headers and did not erase the prior data and it is still there when the SD partitions itself.

21st April 2014, 01:59 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1jim

I can't figure out how to get Win32DiskImager to make an image of the existing install. I see no menu selection to allow this. Are you sure you are not thinking of another program.
Or am I not seeing something obvious?
f1jim

Yes the obvious thing you are missing is the read button. The read/write buttons mean read or write the card. When you press the write button with the 8b image file in the box, it writes that image to the card. When you select the read button, it reads the card and makes a new image file that you have typed into the name box. The new image file will be the same size as your whole SD. Then you can use that new image file to write to a new SD. It does not guarantee that the new card is bootable though. Just try it.

You did not answer my question about using SDFormatter.

21st April 2014, 02:41 AM |#9  
OP Member

More
When I run the program the box that opens says image file and a white box that's empty below it. To the right of that box is a blue navigation button that allows one to navigate to an .img file. Still farther right is a device box that only allows the selection of my removable SD drive. The read and write buttons are grayed out till I select an .img file in the white box. Since my current useable SD card had no .img file on it how do you propose I select the SD card to write an image of?
Honest, I have looked this over with a fine toothed comb but cant see how to select my SD card to write an image. The blue selection box will only look for .img files. Till that happens nothing else is an option.
I have been formatting the SD card with Mini Tool Partition Wizard. I format the SD card using Fat32. After that the PC sees it just fine. I will look for SDFormatter and use it.
Sorry if I am overlooking something that should be obvious to me. Your help is greatly appreciated.
f1jim

Quote:

Yes the obvious thing you are missing is the read button. The read/write buttons mean read or write the card. When you press the write button with the 8b image file in the box, it writes that image to the card. When you select the read button, it reads the card and makes a new image file that you have typed into the name box. The new image file will be the same size as your whole SD. Then you can use that new image file to write to a new SD. It does not guarantee that the new card is bootable though. Just try it.

You did not answer my question about using SDFormatter.

21st April 2014, 03:20 AM |#10  
Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
What happens when you type a new file name in the box? Does the read button come ungreyed? Pick a location and type a name like mycard.img.

And as I told you, unless you use SDFormatter with the overwrite and size adjustment on, you are not really formatting, just writing new headers.

21st April 2014, 03:48 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
I used the name "test" and yes, the read button became ungreyed. I hit read and it continued for awhile until an error message popped up at 3%. It says "An error occurred when attempting to read data from handle. Error 1117: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. Tried it twice. Same outcome.
f1jim

Quote:

What happens when you type a new file name in the box? Does the read button come ungreyed? Pick a location and type a name like mycard.img.

And as I told you, unless you use SDFormatter with the overwrite and size adjustment on, you are not really formatting, just writing new headers.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)