[baseband/radio update tutorial] how to update g2x to the july 15 baseband

Search This thread

darkeizer

Apr 22, 2008
I am on wind for past 3 months and updated the bb straightaway ...
but the xp method didn't work for me.... as the timing to reattach the USB was always a headache... I managed to do it on win 7 .... try the xp one if it doesn't work just pm me .... I think I still have the link to the thread through which it worked on win 7

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

can you post it please?

Biker1bob

OK, so for all of you on WIND with the new 21y March 2012 baseband.. what good did it do you?? DO you find ANYTHING better???

I am on Wind as well.. nothing better, and now I have no BT incall. SO dont know what the point was.. this seems to effect every phone, so I dont understand why anyone would want to update to the 21y?? am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 4128896

OK, so for all of you on WIND with the new 21y March 2012 baseband.. what good did it do you?? DO you find ANYTHING better???

I am on Wind as well.. nothing better, and now I have no BT incall. SO dont know what the point was.. this seems to effect every phone, so I dont understand why anyone would want to update to the 21y?? am I missing something?

Well for me, I noticed a signal boost, I live in a basement apartment so my signal sucks when I'm home, but now it's much better. For example, when I have my phone in my pocket I don't lose signal like I did before. GPS accuracy and lock times are much better. I haven't got the BSOD ever since I updated to v21y. Data speeds are a little better, but considering how shi**y Wind's data speeds are, it's not much of a difference (although, I'd like to note that when I was in Niagara the data speeds were crazy, I'm talking above 10Mbps download and above 5Mbps upload, too bad I don't live there lol). Battery life is a little better, not by much though.

As for bluetooth, I don't use it so it doesn't bother me, but in case you didn't know, it does work on the stock 2.3.3 ROM.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THIS MAY OR MAY NOT ONLY WORK ON XP (it may or may not work with virtualization).
    THIS MAY SOFT BRICK YOUR PHONE
    YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR G2X TO THE JULY 15 BASEBAND/RADIO FIRMWARE

DOWNLOAD:
    http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=420545&d=1287222698
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RUO49V2D

PREREQUISITES:
    USB FILES MUSH BE INSTALLED ALREADY: http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/G2X-Driver/index.jsp should be enough though you may need other drivers. also the lg support tool is there, it updates your device in the same exact way as this nex l33t hacker stuff except it's a lot more clunky and a ***** and probably won't actually do anything other than messing up your phone)
    also I personally did http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644 to guarantee success though i'm sure it will work with any custom rom. idk tho. also use this link IF YOU SOFTBRICKED YOUR PHONE
    also BACKUP EVERYTHING to somewhere; not too sure but I think this even formats the sdcard(internal storage)

INSTRUCTIONS:
    unzip first file and follow instructions in readme (install msxml.msi then run KDZ_FW_UPD.exe).

Then
    -LEAVE IT CDMA AND DIAG
    -select your kdz file
    -click "Read phone information"
    -then in the new window click "Upgrade start" (do not click read phone information here it will crash)
    -then select different country and change language to english
    -click ok and contemplate which rom you will flash after it's done

CONCLUSION:
    Not only will this flash a brand spanking new baseband it will also throw in tmobile bloatware and all that ewness

CONTEMPLATION:
    DOes this even do anything? Only the dates change the version numbers stay the exact same. Also on a more whishful tangent what are the chances do you think other random firmwares (like battery controller or something idk) also get updated?

REFERENCEs:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1183168
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=15878353#post15878353

DISCLAIMER: I don't know what these files are and what they do and have no idea what's going on; at the end there's a more recent date in the corner of my phone and I am happy LOL. For more information scour the previous link.

(if you tried it and it worked plz post what you used (roms, cwm or stock recovery) and what exactly happened (did it also format the internal sd or whatever). if it didn't work plz post the problem and what exactly happened)
    D
    Deleted member 4128896
    I had the same issues and even when I got past that stage I kept getting a star model error. I'm curious if anyone else on wind has figured it out

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

I dont know, i went through the whole thread and downloaded a bunch of different files. But I still cant get mine to update. Im on the wind phone that people seem to be having trouble with. The one that says I have the latest rom, which I do not. Frustrating. And on top of it, im running windows 7 which makes the KDZ method crash. :/

I'm a wind user as well and I've had my share of headaches because of the KDZ updater, but thanks to a few xda members flashing basebands has become as easy as flashing a rom for me. Hopefully it'll be as easy for you too, so here's what needs to be done:

1) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1248644&highlight=nvflash to nvflash stock 2.3.3 (Some people say this step is not needed but it's different for everyone and nothing goes wrong with stock)
    2) follow the instructions here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1610597 to update your baseband.

If you run into any problems let me know and i'll try give you more details.
    OK, I managed to finally do this with my Wind P999 that was on Jun 5 baseband.

I'm going to link to a couple of sources that helped me and then explain briefly what I did.

DEV KDZ update in Optimus 3d forum: here

Optimus 3D posts on flashing KDZ (in part): here

I couldn't use the "KDZ_FW launches LG update" because LG update complained I didn't need an update.
    Also, KDZ_FW_UPD crashed under windows 7 for me.

What I did differently that I havent seen anyone in the G2X forum post is this:

1) I put the phone into 'download mode' (ie; forced it to the s/w upgrade screen)
    I did this by removing the battery , plugging in the USB with only vol-down held down.

2) I used the KDZ_FW_UPD thats floating around on the g2x forum, not the ones listed in the threads above. For me, I used it inside "XP MODE" virtual pc that comes with windows ultimate/pro/etc.

3) No one posted in this forum is - you don't need to do the silly "Read phone info" garbage. You can use the 'launch software update' on the first page of the KDZ_FW tool. WITH TYPE "3GQCT" and PhoneMode "EMERGENCY"

4) I found that the USB disconnected every so often during the update, normally that shouldn't be a problem, but in a virtual environment you might have to quickly "re-attach" the local usb to the XP virtual box. Depends on your virtual box.

I am not knowledgeable about this stuff! I just know what worked for me.
    Big thanks to the guys over in the optimus 3d forum for having such good resources to take advantage of.

I'm sure there are many other variations that will work to do this.
    I uploaded these copies of what I actually used, Im afraid I can't attribute who I got the original files from since there are quite a few different ones around.

V21E P999 KDZ file: here
    KDZ_FW_UPD_EN file: here
    Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

Getril just updates the RIL files, no change to the baseband.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

Can you post the links to the files again? The ones on page 1 don't work thanks to the US.

Also can you confirm that you were on June baseband before?

I know for sure I was on the march baseband before. What I did is, I did that l33t hacking stuff he said earlier, which links you to another thread. I installed v21 stock. So it removed my CWM. From there on I ran the LG updater tool. Like the one that lg made and not the hacked KDZ thingy. I ran the updater and bam! New baseband

Here is the link to the. KDZ that jboxer kindly re-loaded for me
    http://www.mediafire.com/?zrgr3mzw4xbe9oe

Sent from my G2X
    Hellfire Phoenix
    Hello people! Mind updating the link...cause Megaupload is gone forever and all...Thanks in advance :D

I posted about a week ago in a thread and included a link that I found and used. I'll see if I can dig it up. It was either on NVFlash/CWM thread or another baseband one...

EDIT: I'll host it for now, if anyone wants to seed this that would be awesome... not sure how long i'll have this up... but HERE is v21e