Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Can't get phone into fastboot mode? It shows "starting rsd protocol support" and stays there until I disconnect battery? Help Please!

:confused:
pull battery, hold volume down, reinsert battery, if phone does not start press power button, continue to hold volume down, when you see moto loge release power button, when you see fastboot release volume down button, press volume up once, you should see Starting Fastboot protocol support.
phone is now ready to flash.

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
fastboot

Do I have it connected to the computer at this point? How do I get to the moto fastboot flash?
pull battery, hold volume down, reinsert battery, if phone does not start press power button, continue to hold volume down, when you see moto loge release power button, when you see fastboot release volume down button, press volume up once, you should see Starting Fastboot protocol support.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I can get to the fastboot now but my computer isn't recognizing the phone????

will the device boot at all?

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
Thanks for you help! The phone has been successfully updated! (Rooted that is.....:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Success, Phone has been successfully updated (rooted)! Thanks!

:good:

will the device boot at all?

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
milestone x2 2.3.6

Phone rooted, Everything working. I have the full fox-fi and it is connecting......Internet is working......:
The only problem is I'm getting the error message 3g data link lost.......
Is there a way to solve this???:confused:
Thanks again in advance!

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
help!

Phone rooted, Everything working. I have the full fox-fi and it is connecting......Internet is working......:
Is there a way to solve this???
Thanks again in advance!

Thanks for you help! The phone has been successfully updated! (Rooted that is.....:fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 01:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

Success, Phone has been successfully updated (rooted)! Thanks!

:good:

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
help

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
root 2.3.6

Tried this method, Brand new phone,,,,,,,So how do I correct the notifications or get rid of the 3G Data link lost?
Does any one know???

This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.

This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!

PREREQUISITES
  • You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
  • You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
  • You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.

PROCESS
  1. Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
  2. Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
  3. Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
    • Shut the phone off.
    • Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
    • After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
    • Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
  4. Start a command prompt on your computer.
  5. Type the following commands:
    • cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
    • moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
    • moto-fastboot reboot
  6. Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
    • adb shell
    • /preinstall/su
  7. On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
    • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    • cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
    • chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...orola-atrix-2/
http://briefmobile.com/motorola-atrix-4g-root

Closing
I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!

UPDATES
09/04/2012 - The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.

09/05/2012 - I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.

Tried this method, Brand new phone,,,,,,,So how do I correct the notifications or get rid of the 3G Data link lost?
Does any one know???

OK first off not everyone is available to respond to your questions all the time. Second the more mad you get and the more irritating the more likely you are to be ignored. Also we don't have enough info to provide help and this is not the thread for questions for things others than getting help with this rooting process. Got it? K, thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: sd_shadow

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
No thanks!

Not the answer I was looking for....Got it!
I can also get mad at my situation as much as I want.
That has nothing to do with trying to get some help.
Have a good day!!!

OK first off not everyone is available to respond to your questions all the time. Second the more mad you get and the more irritating the more likely you are to be ignored. Also we don't have enough info to provide help and this is not the thread for questions for things others than getting help with this rooting process. Got it? K, thanks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

And by the way the rooting process led me to this error. So where else should I ask?

Have a good day!!!

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
very unlikely rooting caused that error, the changes made during rooting, just gives you access to system files and settings

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Thanks again in advance!
you only get that error, while trying to tether, or all the time?

Have a good day!!!

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

And by the way the rooting process led me to this error. So where else should I ask?

while the frustration at the situation is fully understandable, i still see no logs, no info from about phone section of device, what network you are on, screenshots of the issue, we need INFO and more details the better in order to even BEGIN to try and help.

but please don't sit there and act entitled to any help that can be provided. MANY of us are happy to help as much as possible, and while we don't mind irritation being shown, depending on how you word things it can come off as though you are mad at the fact that no one has replied to u fast enough, or that it is someone elses fault, and similar things that could cause a reaction as seen above.

don't take offense to this, just take a breath, and give as much detail as possible about the situation.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

Is there a way to solve this???:confused:
Thanks again in advance!

have you tried Googling for "3g data link lost" error message Milestone X2?
(I'm assuming hopefully that you do have a Milestone X2 and not just a regular Droid X2 )

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

here is something i found after running that thru Google, worth a shot for now until i have more time to look into this.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1769766-Ntelos-Milestone-X2-and-FoxFi

you might be able to do some other things with root access to stop whatever is killing the connection from running but I can't say for sure yet.

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
Thanks Shadow,

Sorry if it seemed like I was expecting anything from anyone, just mad at myself for trying this on (my son in laws) brand new (250.00) phone. He uses fox fi to connect to his play station and netflix. He didn't have any problems with his old samsung galaxie 2. Anyway, the only time I get this is when I try to connect to foxfi, who told me today that the milestone x2 is not even on there list. I ran the program to undo the root process and did a factory reset but still getting the same message. Alltel is his carrier. I may try to sell it. Maybe someone that knows what they are doing can fix it??? Thanks for getting back!

very unlikely rooting caused that error, the changes made during rooting, just gives you access to system files and settings

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

you only get that error, while trying to tether, or all the time?

Sorry if it seemed like I was expecting anything from anyone, just mad at myself for trying this on (my son in laws) brand new (250.00) phone. He uses fox fi to connect to his play station and netflix. He didn't have any problems with his old samsung galaxie 2. Anyway, the only time I get this is when I try to connect to foxfi, who told me today that the milestone x2 is not even on there list. I ran the program to undo the root process and did a factory reset but still getting the same message. Alltel is his carrier. I may try to sell it. Maybe someone that knows what they are doing can fix it??? Thanks for getting back!

try doing what the link i posted mentioned.
even tho they were on a different carrier, you very well could get the same results.

turn on FoxFi like you normally would.
when the error comes up, just leave it alone, from what that thread says it sounds like FoxFi will keep cycling and trying to establish the connection. and eventually after a few minutes the error will stop and it will connect.(I'm basing that on the few things i had found regarding this error and FoxFi with a milestone x2. so it's worth a shot)

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
Thanks ashclepdia

Also sent to The shadow
Sorry if it seemed like I was expecting anything from anyone, just mad at myself for trying this on (my son in laws) brand new (250.00) phone. He uses fox fi to connect to his play station and netflix. He didn't have any problems with his old samsung galaxie 2. He Just wanted to update and get a little better video on the phone. Anyway, the only time I get this is when I try to connect to foxfi, who told me today that the milestone x2 is not even on there list. I ran the program to undo the root process and did a factory reset but still getting the same message. Alltel is his carrier. I may try to sell it. Maybe someone that knows what they are doing can fix it???
It is the Alltel Milestone X2 android ver 2.3.6, system version 45.0.25 mb867 acg.en.US, build number 45.0.43.
Thanks for getting back!

while the frustration at the situation is fully understandable, i still see no logs, no info from about phone section of device, what network you are on, screenshots of the issue, we need INFO and more details the better in order to even BEGIN to try and help.

but please don't sit there and act entitled to any help that can be provided. MANY of us are happy to help as much as possible, and while we don't mind irritation being shown, depending on how you word things it can come off as though you are mad at the fact that no one has replied to u fast enough, or that it is someone elses fault, and similar things that could cause a reaction as seen above.

don't take offense to this, just take a breath, and give as much detail as possible about the situation.

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 PM ----------

have you tried Googling for "3g data link lost" error message Milestone X2?
(I'm assuming hopefully that you do have a Milestone X2 and not just a regular Droid X2 )

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

here is something i found after running that thru Google, worth a shot for now until i have more time to look into this.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1769766-Ntelos-Milestone-X2-and-FoxFi

you might be able to do some other things with root access to stop whatever is killing the connection from running but I can't say for sure yet.

gmstruck

Aug 30, 2013
Game set match

My son-in-law has de activated the phone and has gone back to his old phone.
If you know anyone that needs a new phone that can work on them he told me to list it on ebay.
Thanks for help!

if the problem is root related, unrooting will not fix nor will a factory reset

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Also sent to The shadow
...Anyway, the only time I get this is when I try to connect to foxfi ..!
Doesn't sound like it has anything to do with root then.
don't use foxfi
there several other wifi tether apps
I never used tethered with my x2, so I'm not sure which ones.

what else did you do after rooting, remove any stock apps?

My son-in-law has de activated the phone and has gone back to his old phone.
If you know anyone that needs a new phone that can work on them he told me to list it on ebay.
Thanks for help!

honestly, i don't blame you(/your son in law) for that decision lol.

also, with what i was saying earlier, i didn't mean to make you feel as though you should be sorry. we just ALL know the frustrations of this device :eek:
especially now that it has aged a bit in the android world at this point and the forums have become pretty slow for it.

I'm pretty sure there was a similar issue to this people had back when trying to create a ROM for it.

I'm not certain, but i feel like i remember only being able to tether via USB with my ol X2.(and since you said the tether was mainly for xbox or ps3 i think you said, i know that's not very useful if it's the case...)

If you want a pretty damn near "worryless" device that will be in around the same price range as that one was maybe less at this point, but is still great on performance, go for the Galaxy Nexus if it will work on the carrier(you'll have to look that up)

this x2 is one finicky device IMHO
there might even be some other choices that are even newer for the same price range as the Gnex.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This walks through the process of rooting a Motorola Milestone X2 running 2.3.6. First off I DID NOT come up with this solution nor did I initially post this in this thread. Many many MANY thanks to all those helped make this a reality (which seem to be Brandon15811, the2dcour, and eval-!) and to Sippi4x4man who posted this information here along with DarkFalconX who posted an addendum to help get it working, and to Tiso who made me aware someone had posted this in the thread. See the bottom for the original links that were posted.

This is the process I used it is slightly different than Dark's and the original link. The standard warning applies here, NEITHER MYSELF NOR ANYONE ELSE IS RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE DOING THIS!

PREREQUISITES
    • You MUST have the ADB drivers for your phone installed which are obtained as part of the Android SDK.
    • You MUST have USB Debugging enabled on your phone.
    • You MUST have Superuser installed, which can be found on the Market.

PROCESS
    1. Download the following file (atrix-4g-moto-fastboot-win32.zip): LINK
    2. Extract the zip file to a location that is easy to get to, the original instructions suggested making a Root folder in C:\, however it is really up to you. Just make sure all the files are extracted to the same folder.
    3. Get your phone into Fastboot mode, to do this:
      • Shut the phone off.
      • Hold down the Volume Down Button while pressing the Power Button.
      • After the phone turns on you should see Fastboot at the top of the screen.
      • Press the Volume Up Button to enter Fastboot mode. Your computer may need to install drivers if this is the first time you entered Fastboot mode, so let this happen BEFORE proceeding.
    4. Start a command prompt on your computer.
    5. Type the following commands:
      • cd \<DIRECTORY> where <DIRECTORY> is the folder you created. If you created the Root folder in C:\ it would be cd \root.
      • moto-fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
      • moto-fastboot reboot
    6. Wait for the phone to reboot, once it does so execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open):
      • adb shell
      • /preinstall/su
    7. On your phone you should see a prompt to Allow or Deny Superuser access, allow this. Then execute the following commands (in the command prompt you should still have open)
      • mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
      • cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
      • chmod 6755 /system/bin/su

Initial links Posted by Sippi4x4man
    http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...orola-atrix-2/

Closing
    I have to again thank everyone who created this process and who made people aware of this. I take ZERO credit I am simply reposting information others have already posted. Have fun!

UPDATES
    09/04/2012 - The links for the files were broken, the files needed to root the Atrix 4G are the same as we need so I have updated the link to those used for that, along with tweaking the instructions a bit to match. Thanks to Carl Parker and this post here for the working link. Do not worry that the files are labeled "for" the Atrix 4G, the files do in fact work for rooting the Milestone X2 I just used them successfully.

09/05/2012 - I modified the instructions to flash preinstall.img versus root.img, thanks to aldude999 and sd_shadow for pointing out the error as well as sd_shadow for the new link.
    SUCCESS!!!!!!

Motorola released a 2.3.6 OTA for the Motorola Atrix. They are in the same position that we are in. If the Atrix users flash the OTA they loose root and there isn't a current direct root method available yet. Hopefully they will come up with something soon

http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...ad-ota-update-available-for-motorola-atrix-2/

2.3.6 root for Atrix if anyone feels brave

This method works! There are only 2 differences in the commands (indicated in red):

Obtain the necessary files from the Atrix 2.3.6 link above
    Extract the ADB-Fastboot package and root image to your C:\ Drive under a new folder titled “root”
    Put your device into Fastboot mode: – Turn off your device. – Hold down the power button and downward volume button until you see “Fastboot” on your screen – Push the upward volume button
    Connect your phone via USB cable. Allow Windows to install the new hardware if this is the first time you have used Fastboot mode.
    Open your command prompt (Start >> run “cmd” >> enter)
    Type the following commands
    cd C:/root
    fastboot flash preinstall root.img
    fastboot reboot
    Enable USB debugging (Settings >> Applications >> Debugging)
    adb shell
    /preinstall/su
    Allow Superuser access on the phone when prompted
    mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
    cp /preinstall/su /system/bin/su
    chmod 6755 /system/bin/su
    PATH=/system/bin:$PATH pm install /preinstall/Superuser.apk

:D:D:D:D:D:D Congratulations! You are rooted! :D:D:D:D:D:D
    Commissioning A Successful Root Method

The Milestone X2 from CSpire Wireless, System Version 45.0.43.MB867.ACG-CS.en.US comes stock with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed.

It seems that there are a considerable number of other people also affected by imposed limitations of their purchased devices. I would like to support the cause in offering a $100 donation to anyone providing a clearly documented step-by-step How To complete with links to tools for successfully gaining permanent root access to the Motorola Milestone X2 with Android Version 2.3.6 pre-installed while maintaining complete device functionality (including but not limited to; phone, data and wifi) by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) on Wednesday, January 18, 2012.

An additional $100 bonus will be paid (for a total of $200) to anyone providing the above by 5:00 PM CT (UTC -6:00) tomorrow, Tuesday, January 17, 2012.

[UPDATE - 01/16/2012 02:59 PM]:
    If there are any takers, the job has been posted to oDesk.com here: nosky .us / zPhQrd (no spaces).

The How To (completed and in-progress) can be posted directly to this thread for the benefit of the community. Please indicate your interest by responding to this thread or emailing brainflurry [at] gmail.com.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do (such as providing a backup of my ROM [assuming that's possible without root]).
    Here you go...
    42afacef-2db6-2b0b.jpg

Sent from my Milestone X2 using XDA App
    Ok thanks for the information. I will look into a method thst was dependant on the 2.6.32.9 kernel. No promises.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk