T-Mobile Note 3 SIM Unlock and Reigion Lock Away Question...

Search This thread

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
Hi Friends,

I just got a T-Mobile Note 3, that came with Firmware: NB4 (Android 4.4.2).

Can anyone confirm that they were able to Root and then use Region Lock Away to SIM Unlock their phone to use on other Carriers? I would like to use mine on AT&T?

If not possible, what did you do? Can I downgrade via a Custom ROM and then use it? Does installing Custom Recoveries STILL trip the Knox counter? Is there any way around it?

Thank you so much for your quick help!

Techngro

Dec 4, 2010
NYC
Hi Friends,

Can anyone confirm that they were able to Root and then use Region Lock Away to SIM Unlock their phone to use on other Carriers? I would like to use mine on AT&T?

If not possible, what did you do? Can I downgrade via a Custom ROM and then use it? Does installing Custom Recoveries STILL trip the Knox counter? Is there any way around it?

I was able to root with Chainfire's AutoRoot, and then I used his RegionLock Away app to unlock it as well, so yes, it does work. Just follow the instructions carefully.

The method I used tripped Knox, but I don't know if there may be another method now that doesn't trip it.

phil.culler

Aug 7, 2011
Hi Friends,

I don't know of any way to downgrade your firmware but towelroot came out the other day that should work with our phone that claims to not trip Knox. I believe it works on the NE6 (latest) firmware. As for Region Lock Away, check the website to see if it has compatibility issues with NE6.

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
I was able to root with Chainfire's AutoRoot, and then I used his RegionLock Away app to unlock it as well, so yes, it does work. Just follow the instructions carefully.

The method I used tripped Knox, but I don't know if there may be another method now that doesn't trip it.

I don't know of any way to downgrade your firmware but towelroot came out the other day that should work with our phone that claims to not trip Knox. I believe it works on the NE6 (latest) firmware. As for Region Lock Away, check the website to see if it has compatibility issues with NE6.

Thank you for your responses guys, I *think* the Firmeware I have is "NB4"... does that sound like a valid release?

And Techngro, could you confirm that you have "NB4" or 4.4.2 and Region Lock Away still worked?

I have been on Sprint N3 for a while, with last ROM installed 6 months ago, just Stock Rooted, Odined. I assume there is still NO WAY to install custom ROMs and Recoveries without tripping Knox?

Thanks again guys!

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
Thank you for your responses guys, I *think* the Firmeware I have is "NB4"... does that sound like a valid release?

And Techngro, could you confirm that you have "NB4" or 4.4.2 and Region Lock Away still worked?

I have been on Sprint N3 for a while, with last ROM installed 6 months ago, just Stock Rooted, Odined. I assume there is still NO WAY to install custom ROMs and Recoveries without tripping Knox?

Thanks again guys!
when I was on nb4 I was unable to use region lock away and have it carrier unlock. things may have changed, but you will have to trip Knox if you want a root method for nb4. towelroot works on ne6 without tripping Knox, but again BBB unsure if region lock away has compatibility issues.

Fusionized tweaking tapatalker here...

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
when I was on nb4 I was unable to use region lock away and have it carrier unlock. things may have changed, but you will have to trip Knox if you want a root method for nb4. towelroot works on ne6 without tripping Knox, but again BBB unsure if region lock away has compatibility issues.

Thanks for chiming in bud!

I guess, the most important thing to me is getting that SIM unlocked since I want to use it on the ATT network.

The Knox trip seems inevitable to me as well, since I really want to enjoy my Note 3 with all the ROMs and Themes out there, Sammy won't honor my warranty anyway, since I bought my phone from Craigslist...

So can anyone confirm or negate, if getting the SIM unlock via NB4 is possible? If so, how did they exactly do it?

If not, and I have Custom Recovery installed, can I just jump to ANY older ROM and basically get the Region Lock to work?

Thanks again!

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
Once on the 4.4 bootloader, you cannot roll back. You can definitely just use cf autoroot, and try out region lock away. It will trip Knox, but if inevitable, might as well take the plunge now and give it a try.

Or, upgrade firmware to ne6, use towel root, try region lock away. This way you keep Knox in tact and can report back.

But why do you need region away? Is the phone not paid off? If it is, just get unlock code from t-mobile. Mine only took 2 days.

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
Once on the 4.4 bootloader, you cannot roll back. You can definitely just use cf autoroot, and try out region lock away. It will trip Knox, but if inevitable, might as well take the plunge now and give it a try.

Or, upgrade firmware to ne6, use towel root, try region lock away. This way you keep Knox in tact and can report back.

But why do you need region away? Is the phone not paid off? If it is, just get unlock code from t-mobile. Mine only took 2 days.

Thanks for the very helpful advice there, bud.

Let me see if I understand these correctly:

1. No way to NOT trip Knox on NB4 and Root
2. To root without Knox I have to take a Firmware update to NE4 then do TowelRoot
3. Even if I have the Knox 0x0, there is NO WAY on the T-Mobile Note 3 to install and use Custom ROMs, Recoveries, Themes, and/or Kernels, correct? Because I thought ATT allowed that via Safe Strap?

I bought my Tmo N3 from Craigslist, probably never gonna have anyone honor a warranty on it - Sammy or Tmo. I am not a Tmo customer and wanna use the Tmo N3 on an ATT Prepaid MVNO, like Straight Talk.

That's why I need the Region Lock Away or SIM Unlock to work...

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
Thanks for the very helpful advice there, bud.

Let me see if I understand these correctly:

1. No way to NOT trip Knox on NB4 and Root
2. To root without Knox I have to take a Firmware update to NE4 then do TowelRoot
3. Even if I have the Knox 0x0, there is NO WAY on the T-Mobile Note 3 to install and use Custom ROMs, Recoveries, Themes, and/or Kernels, correct? Because I thought ATT allowed that via Safe Strap?

I bought my Tmo N3 from Craigslist, probably never gonna have anyone honor a warranty on it - Sammy or Tmo. I am not a Tmo customer and wanna use the Tmo N3 on an ATT Prepaid MVNO, like Straight Talk.

That's why I need the Region Lock Away or SIM Unlock to work...

correct. if you came from jb to nb4 release, then you could've retained root through a work around method without tripping Knox.

but... since you are already on nb4 with Knox 0x0, there is no root method that doesn't trip it.

also correct that you can upgrade firmware through ne6 and use towel root without tripping Knox.

lastly, if your phone is paid off though, whether you have service or not through t mobile, they can provide you with the unlock code, because the phone is in fact paid for. unless it is not, then I can see the reason for region lock away.

ProFragger

Jan 9, 2009
correct. if you came from jb to nb4 release, then you could've retained root through a work around method without tripping Knox.

but... since you are already on nb4 with Knox 0x0, there is no root method that doesn't trip it.

also correct that you can upgrade firmware through ne6 and use towel root without tripping Knox.

lastly, if your phone is paid off though, whether you have service or not through t mobile, they can provide you with the unlock code, because the phone is in fact paid for. unless it is not, then I can see the reason for region lock away.

Again, thank you for the great response bud!

Another root method I heard *may* work without the Knox trip is the Kingo Root... any thoughts?

Can you (or anyone else reading this) confirm, that if I wanted to install Custom ROMs and Themes on this phone, there is NO WAY I can do that without tripping Knox?

Lastly, I think if you are not a Tmo customer in some capacity or another, they just will not give you the code, I think... So I need the Region Lock Away :(...

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
Again, thank you for the great response bud!

Another root method I heard *may* work without the Knox trip is the Kingo Root... any thoughts?

Can you (or anyone else reading this) confirm, that if I wanted to install Custom ROMs and Themes on this phone, there is NO WAY I can do that without tripping Knox?

Lastly, I think if you are not a Tmo customer in some capacity or another, they just will not give you the code, I think... So I need the Region Lock Away :(...
Kingo root only works on 4.3. will not work on your current firmware.

Give T-Mobile a call first, you just may get it.

Anonymous777

Jun 17, 2012
Salt Lake City

What exactly do you mean by getting an unlock code from tmobile?? For about the past month I've been in Arkansas and i swear all they have is at@t towers and Verizon. I'm basically using my edge network the whole time which doesn't suffice. Is this unlock code something that let's you pick up off the other towers or would I need to go another route?!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

noobtoob

Dec 27, 2011
Fresno, CA
Moto G 5G
Google Pixel 8
What exactly do you mean by getting an unlock code from tmobile?? For about the past month I've been in Arkansas and i swear all they have is at@t towers and Verizon. I'm basically using my edge network the whole time which doesn't suffice. Is this unlock code something that let's you pick up off the other towers or would I need to go another route?!

This whole thread is about SIM unlocking the T-Mobile note 3 to use on another carriers network. The T-mobile note 3 is able to pretty much use any GSM carriers sim card (i.e. AT&T, Straight Talk, AIO/Cricket Wireless...) if you receive your unlock code: either through t-mobile themselves (by having a paid off phone), by using the region lock away by @Chainfire (may not work on all firmwares), or purchasing an unlock code from one of the websites that offer sim card unlocking. Once unlocked you can get one of the pre-paid sims (like AIO or Straight talk) for $10 and use AT&T towers, or just completely switch carriers.

This is in no way shape or form speaking about using root on these phones with an unlocked bootloader, which seems to confuse most people. I know you didn't ask this, just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who may be confused.

Reactions: Anonymous777

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This whole thread is about SIM unlocking the T-Mobile note 3 to use on another carriers network. The T-mobile note 3 is able to pretty much use any GSM carriers sim card (i.e. AT&T, Straight Talk, AIO/Cricket Wireless...) if you receive your unlock code: either through t-mobile themselves (by having a paid off phone), by using the region lock away by @Chainfire (may not work on all firmwares), or purchasing an unlock code from one of the websites that offer sim card unlocking. Once unlocked you can get one of the pre-paid sims (like AIO or Straight talk) for $10 and use AT&T towers, or just completely switch carriers.

This is in no way shape or form speaking about using root on these phones with an unlocked bootloader, which seems to confuse most people. I know you didn't ask this, just wanted to put it out there for anyone else who may be confused.