Phhusson (Toastcfh) Overclock Kernel Patch :: Downloadable Kernels For G1/32B/32A

Search This thread

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit: It was actually coded by phhusson, in conjunction with toastcfh and others. See thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=665515

This thread is about a new overclock kernel patch for the MSM7K, which includes the G1 and Magic.

Devs working on overclock kernels. If you want your overclock kernel in OP (here) send me a PM and I'll consider linking to it.

For devs, the original patch is here, and an updated commit to allow for scalable frequencies is here
    There's also an autodetection patch for SetCPU by coolbho3000 himself here
    pershoot's github for the lazy: http://github.com/pershoot/ds-kernel

Downloadable Kernels to Flash for the Rest of Us
    These kernels are not officially endorsed by Cyanogen for his ROM, so use at your own risk and do not file any bug reports to the ROM owners. pershoot has done some good things to this for Cyanogenmod including some extra frequencies to choose from.

EBI0 version = 32B Magic or G1 on 1.x or 2.x radio
    EBI1 version = 32A Magic or G1 on 3.x radio

2.6.33.3 for any rom EBI0/EBI1 by pershoot
    Has lots of tweaks and goes up to 576 MHz

Verification:
    This works. Read the thread.

Video proof of 614 MHz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Oaesb0OX8k

FAQ:
    A) How do I try this without flashing this to my phone?
    If you want to try this without flashing your phone, download the zip file for your phone. First turn OFF wifi. Then turn your phone off.

Now go into fastboot. Extract boot.img, probably in the same folder as your fastboot application. Then use:
    Code:
    fastboot boot boot.img
    (replace boot.img with the name of the img file)

This will make the kernel run temporarily on your phone up till your phone is restarted again. Do NOT turn your wifi on at this time, because it will freeze your phone. If you want to keep it, flash the whole zip file from recovery. Otherwise just restart your phone and you will be back to whatever you had before.

B) Ramhack?
    What is known as the ramhack is done by modifying the kernel source code with a patch and making a new kernel to flash. Hence you see a boot.img in the zip files you flash.

This overclock kernel patch modifies the source code of the kernel. If you want both ramhack together with the overclock, you need a kernel that contains both the ramhack AND the overclock patch. If not explicitly stated, you can assume that the overclock patched kernel does not contain the ramhack patch and thereby does not have ramhack.

C) What phones does this work on?
    All HTC Dream/G1 and myTouch/Magic, not including Fender or 1.2 editions of the Magic for the precompiled kernels in this thread.

If you are applying the patch yourself it should work on any MSM7K device.

D) What are some prerequisites I need to flash this?
    Custom recovery compatible with test keys, or root with working adb/fastboot.

And you need a compatible phone (see C)

E) My wifi doesn't work after I flashed x.img file!
    YOU MUST FLASH THE CORRESPONDING WIFI MODULE WHENEVER YOU FLASH THE KERNEL.

The .img file contains the kernel, which requires a patching wifi module to be recompiled (wlan.ko located in your system volume) with that kernel.

If wlan.ko was not provided, wifi will simply not work. Ask whoever compiled that kernel to provide a wlan.ko file for you to flash.

F) Is this stable?
    Stability seems to vary, but at the moment I do not recommend using 614 MHz for day-to-day use.

This kernel does not even run stable at 614 MHz right now for me, or at least when I try to just plug in my usb cable. Not sure what can be done there. I threw in the 653 MHz EBI1 kernel that wouldn't boot for me for kicks.

My gut feeling of being unable to boot at 653 MHz and being unstable at even 614 Mhz leads me to think that the G1 is a pretty hopeless overclock. The 32B Magic might have better luck. CDMA Heros are getting up to 700 MHz easily on the other forum. It is not surprising that HTC designed the phones to have higher clock tolerances than the G1 designed to run at 384 MHz.

(DEVS/COOKS) Original kernel patch to overclock from 528 MHz to 711 MHz, but that wouldn't boot. Boots fine at 614 MHz on my G1 with 3.x radio. Probably more stable at lower speeds.
    For all MSM7K devices including the Hero, Dream, Magic

Credits:
    phhusson for sharing
    ToAsTcfh for coming up with it
    Cyanogen because it's his kernel source
    benbuchacher for Super D
    farmatito for EBI0 compile
    coolbho3000 for SetCPU
    pershoot for some great compiled kernels

Notes:
    I am not a dev!

This patch performs more changes the kernels source in acpuclock.c and involves the software modification of the way PLL is handled to allow for the overclock.

It is different than the previous OC patch that only modified the frequency table.

This patch adjusts the 528 MHz clock to 711 MHz, and can be modified by changing the patch file. Acceptable clocks are multipliers of TXCO (19.2MHz).

710.4 MHz = 19.2 * 37

Should work on 2.6.27 and 2.6.29, and maybe more.

Some devs have already added this to their CDMA Hero ROMs with reports of success.
    Yes...Compare it to 528, you arent running JIT so you dont have some crazy number. Dont be to concerned with these #'s if things are faster than you know the OC is good to go.

thanks.. pulling 4.079 with jit now