602 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,227

Post Reply Email Thread
13th January 2020, 05:38 PM |#14311  
Thanks Meter: 1,244

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmom

As of A10, with the full implementation of system-as-root (SAR), it is no longer possible to write to the system partition so using a systemless solution is the only possibility.

Just adding that for Huawei, SAR is already imposed by Pie, EMUI 9.1 ( making the Systemless hosts mandatory)

Plus one comment:
If you e.g. flash stock Boot/Ramdisk/Recovery (whatever applies to your platform), you loose root (dirty way, but people do it sometimes to circumvent bootloop), however:
- With systemless hosts you are automatically back to your original hosts file (no more blocking ads)
- But without systemless hosts, your hosts file still remains as it was last time updated by AdAway (still blocking ads).
Because in the second case AdAway writes to the real hosts file, in the first case it does not
13th January 2020, 05:56 PM |#14312  
Thanks Meter: 82

More
Quote:

There's a feature for that How to Log DNS Requests

Super helpful - thanks!

For those with the same CNN app issue, I needed to white-list BOTH:
1) config.outturner.com
2) geolocation.onetrust.com

I do now see at least 1 ad on CNN but the trade-off is the app works so far...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to drewcu For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift drewcu Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 06:16 PM |#14313  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcu

Within the last day or so, the CNN app has been broken by AdAway's lists. If I disable AdAway, the CNN app works fine. With it enabled, I get "Unknown Error, Try Again."

I have tried whitelisting *cnn* and *turner* but either I need to be more explicit like *cnn.com* or there is something else on the hosts file that is blocking the CNN app.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewcu

Super helpful - thanks!

For those with the same CNN app issue, I needed to white-list BOTH:
1) config.outturner.com
2) geolocation.onetrust.com

I do now see at least 1 ad on CNN but the trade-off is the app works so far...

I did not properly introduce @jawz101 yet because I was waiting for him/her to accept but he/she did a very good work with de AdAdaway host file.
It wasn't update for a long time now and he/she offers to help the project with a beautiful and up-to-date list!
I did help by providing some tooling to sort/format the hosts file but all credits go to him/her

So yes, you could encounter some changes since yesterday.
He/she has write access on GitHub so fell free to report any trouble you could have on the GitHub project.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 06:27 PM |#14314  
Thanks Meter: 927

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSlayer

him/her
He/she

Not to nitpick, but I generally find it easier to use they/them when their gender is unknown so there's no slashes. Plus it has the benefit of including non binary people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knpk13 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift knpk13 Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 07:28 PM |#14315  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by knpk13

Not to nitpick, but I generally find it easier to use they/them when their gender is unknown so there's no slashes. Plus it has the benefit of including non binary people.

I must admit I was embarrassed when I wrote the post… I am not native english speaker and the gender neutral form isn't simple to use.
It feels strange to use "they" when you are referring to a specific person but thanks for the tip!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PerfectSlayer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift PerfectSlayer Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 08:29 PM |#14316  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,637

More
Quote:

I must admit I was embarrassed when I wrote the post… I am not native english speaker and the gender neutral form isn't simple to use.
It feels strange to use "they" when you are referring to a specific person but thanks for the tip!

Sorry, going OT, but us old native English (American) speakers struggle with gender neutral/non-binary. That's despite millennial children correcting us all the time
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ktmom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ktmom Ad-Free
13th January 2020, 08:36 PM |#14317  
Flag Ames
Thanks Meter: 1,070

More
Quote:

Isn't English great? We use a plural of a pronoun as singular just because gender is unknown or undefined. 😏 Wait until you read a biographical article about one person, but they insist on being referred to they or them instead of he, she, him, or her. It's hard to read after a few sentences. Especially if the author is trying to distinguish between the person and, for example, a group of people that the person belongs to. Then you aren't sure if they refers to the person or the group.
13th January 2020, 09:39 PM |#14318  
Thanks Meter: 927

More
Quote:

That's the best we have, since English does not provide a separate singular gender neutral pronoun. "Normal" languages can be harder than programming languages sometimes lol. I often think that English is popular because of historical reasons (England invaded a bunch of countries), and not any particular linguistic reasons. Just like how you could think of correct grammar as being the linguistic habits of the powerful. Not sure how accurate that is, but its kinda neat to put it like that haha.
14th January 2020, 12:21 AM |#14319  
Thanks Meter: 745

More
I'm a guy.

Looking at the onetrust and turner domains right now. I can understand the turner.com one coming off but the onetrust is on both MVPS and StevenBlack's hosts files as well. The type of business that they are tends to make me think they fall under the tracking category but since I tested and saw the breakage I went ahead and removed them. It looks like it is tied into checking your location and prompting for some sort of privacy consent laws for your country

further info:
https://github.com/Zentrust
https://docs.mparticle.com/integrations/onetrust/event/
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/domai....com/relations
https://www.onetrust.com/products/mobile-app-consent/

Since they're to mParticle (an analytics sdk) it kinda bugs me but oh well.

It's nice to see feedback. My list had some people looking at it but this will have a lot more eyes on it to fix things.

I don't check XDA as much as I used to so if you have github access, using the issue tracker might get a quicker response.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to jawz101 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jawz101 Ad-Free
16th January 2020, 10:28 PM |#14320  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi All, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to whitelist i.ktplay.com/app/id101996 ? On the weekend images on the forum stopped loading. When I disable Adaway images load normally. I've logged the DNS and attempted to whitelist *ktplay.com* but it doesn't help. Cheers

Sent from my ZTE A2017X using Tapatalk
16th January 2020, 10:34 PM |#14321  
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter: 2,637

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceptic01

Hi All, I was wondering if someone could tell me how to whitelist i.ktplay.com/app/id101996 ? On the weekend images on the forum stopped loading. When I disable Adaway images load normally. I've logged the DNS and attempted to whitelist *ktplay.com* but it doesn't help. Cheers

Sent from my ZTE A2017X using Tapatalk

Just a few posts back

Quote:

There's a feature for that How to Log DNS Requests

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)