FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[2017.08.02] DSLR Controller v1.05

11,217 posts
Thanks Meter: 86,000

By Chainfire, XDA Ad-Free Senior Moderator / Senior Recognized Developer - Where is my shirt? on 4th August 2011, 12:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
26th August 2011, 01:46 AM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I have TX-1s (Digic 3) running CHDK. Since the camera (and most other Canons with Digic 3s have already been ported) now has the capabilities of most lower end DSLRs, can this be made to interface with it?
I also run twin setup with 2 TX-1s running Microfunguy's stereo CHDK, and this would be perfect in split screen! We're taking about a $30 app for that niche market.

Thanks, pk

26th August 2011, 10:40 AM |#502  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
intervalometer and bulb mode
Hi,

for the records, intervalometer, bulb mode and lot of other functions are already available using the Magic Lantern firmware:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Unified#Shoot
(free and open source)

intervalometer and bulb timer are available on 550D/T2i, 600D/T3i, 60D and 50D.
1100D/T3 is the next camera to be supported.

Lorenzo
26th August 2011, 11:06 AM |#503  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pootle42

the recommended USB host cables are a bit hard to find in the UK, but I'm hoping this together with the camera standard USB cable is the right answer....

Code:
wwwDOTamazonDOTcoDOTuk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004APRKLS/ref=ox_ya_os_product
Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

This doesn't work, the cable in the picture would work, but this isn't a picture of a nokia CA-157 cable. The CA-157 has a micro USB A connector, and the phone has a micro USB B socket, these aren't compatible. It appears the galaxy S2 needs a B plug, but have it wired as an A plug, to enable the handset to act as a host.

Just makes you wish manufacturers would stick to the standards (an A socket would accept A & B plugs if I understand the wiki page on USB connectors properly)
26th August 2011, 04:47 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Toshiba Thrive
I just purchased a Toshiba Thrive because it had the full size USB port. I tried the app out on it and it works perfect for a BETA version. It is a little laggy and freezes up occasionally but that is to be expected at this state.

However, a couple things I think would make this app great for cinematographers is LIVE VIEW while recording video, which I believe should be included in the future releases. The other thing that would make this a superb app is to take the focus adjustment tool and add a slider bar that you could "Pull Focus" with, AKA, Rack Focusing. I think if you are able to control the focus in steps you should be able to control it in a fluid motion.

That is just my 2 cents on how the app could be improved. Keep up the good work though. This app is well worth the money and I cant wait to see the future versions of the app. Thanks for all of your work on it.
26th August 2011, 05:41 PM |#505  
Flag Zürich
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Can somebody confirm me that this cable will work with my Canon 7D and SGS II ????

klickklack
26th August 2011, 06:44 PM |#506  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PipoXtreme

Can somebody confirm me that this cable will work with my Canon 7D and SGS II ????

That one should work. However, I think you would be happier getting a flexible one rather than a block one. That way you don't have a long ridged piece sticking out of your phone that could easily be bent over. Maybe something like this one...

ecrater . com/p/12147159/micro-usb-to-host-cable-otg-for

Copy and paste this in your browser and delete the spaces around the DOT...
I am new here so I can not post outside links...

That one even says its for the Galaxy S phone (even though I think they are all the same)

Enjoy
26th August 2011, 11:13 PM |#507  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpeverman

I just purchased a Toshiba Thrive because it had the full size USB port. I tried the app out on it and it works perfect for a BETA version. It is a little laggy and freezes up occasionally but that is to be expected at this state.

However, a couple things I think would make this app great for cinematographers is LIVE VIEW while recording video, which I believe should be included in the future releases. The other thing that would make this a superb app is to take the focus adjustment tool and add a slider bar that you could "Pull Focus" with, AKA, Rack Focusing. I think if you are able to control the focus in steps you should be able to control it in a fluid motion.

That is just my 2 cents on how the app could be improved. Keep up the good work though. This app is well worth the money and I cant wait to see the future versions of the app. Thanks for all of your work on it.

Canon's focus adjustment is extremely limited, only allowing you to send it three different step sizes in each direction. It's very difficult to make it smooth unless you use the smallest step size, which also results in extremely slow focus change.

Additionally, you are fighting the traffic over USB if you intend to have the live view display while recording AND try to send focus commands, which makes it even more difficult to use. Essentially you have to send focus commands only between image frames from the live view.

You can test this by using the EOS Utility. The limitations will become evident.
28th August 2011, 04:11 AM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers67

Canon's focus adjustment is extremely limited, only allowing you to send it three different step sizes in each direction. It's very difficult to make it smooth unless you use the smallest step size, which also results in extremely slow focus change.

Additionally, you are fighting the traffic over USB if you intend to have the live view display while recording AND try to send focus commands, which makes it even more difficult to use. Essentially you have to send focus commands only between image frames from the live view.

You can test this by using the EOS Utility. The limitations will become evident.

You are not recording over USB. If you can send other commands over USB during live view, this should be no different, even if that means the command won't be sent unless in between live view frames. What does that give us, 5 commands per second? What's wrong with that?

Meanwhile, the question is can focus commands be successfully sent over USB since the EOS utility mostly just invokes the camera's autofocus command. There are aftermarket USB follow focus attachments on the market that claim to work with USM lenses, so this should be technically possible, however admittedly likely beyond the scope of the project right now.

Meanwhile, what I'd *love* to see, is Chainfire getting in touch with a1ex from the Magic Lantern firmware development, and getting some server-client love (or would it be "host/slave" in this case?) and extended capability out of this app! I mean, the possibilities could be endless!
28th August 2011, 09:58 AM |#509  
Flag Zürich
Thanks Meter: 22

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zpeverman

That one should work. However, I think you would be happier getting a flexible one rather than a block one. That way you don't have a long ridged piece sticking out of your phone that could easily be bent over. Maybe something like this one...

ecrater . com/p/12147159/micro-usb-to-host-cable-otg-for

Copy and paste this in your browser and delete the spaces around the DOT...
I am new here so I can not post outside links...

That one even says its for the Galaxy S phone (even though I think they are all the same)

Enjoy

thx for the tip.. I've ordered a cable as well but not in shop of your link. The guys there don't ship to Switzerland..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App
28th August 2011, 10:48 AM |#510  
Flag Spokane
Thanks Meter: 432

More
I have a pentax BOOOHHOOO
29th August 2011, 10:23 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
i purchased this app to test with my 30d and it opens, displays the cameras information, records the img# but doesn't display any image after clicking the shutter. I am not really concerned with live viewing but would like to see the image after taking the photo. Can you tell me if this is possible?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)