FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[HD/HD+] Dummies Guide for Installing CM 10.1/10.2 (and now CM 11) (Updated 7-13-14)

8,873 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,870

By leapinlar, Recognized Contributor on 27th May 2013, 02:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
10th June 2013, 04:19 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 894

More
Thanks for the additional issues raised. I've revised the guide & FAQ to take them into account, including additional info on file locations.
The Following User Says Thank You to e.mote For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift e.mote Ad-Free

10th June 2013, 09:46 PM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
First Newbie
Let me be the first real newbie to chime in here. First thanks for making this thread. I just bought a Nook HD+ and want to put CM10.1 on it, replacing existing software. I found the instructions on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2263553
But they assume that the user has more knowledge than I have, so again I appreciate these more detailed instructions.

My question is this, are the files you mention to download the same as the ones that are mentioned in the other post? I ask because they appear to be different, and I want to make sure I have the latest software installed.
In particular, the other thread mentions that this one is the latest: cm-10.1-20130608-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-emmc.zip

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Please forgive my ignorance in the last post. I assumed the files were different in this instructions because in the section where it mentions which files to download it doesn't mention: cm-10.1-20130608-UNOFFICIAL-ovation-emmc.zip
But I see now that it's mentioned that I would need that file further down in the instructions.

But now I have another question. These instructions say to use Win32DiskImager to put the image onto the MicroSDHC card. I assume that in order to do this you would need to have a MicroSDHC card reader. Unfortunately I do not. So I was hoping to perform this step while the card is in my Nook (or Galaxy S3) connected to my PC. Is this possible? I tried it and it doesn't seem possible. In Win32DiskImager after I select the image file I try to select the Device, but there is no drop down box (so I can't select the device).

Any help would be appreciated.
10th June 2013, 10:28 PM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 894

More
The PC sees the Nook as an MTP device, which doesn't allow operations like format or image writes. I suppose you can download a terminal emulator to the Nook and try running dd, to write the image to the card--although I've no idea if or how that would work in Android.

The most pragmatic solution is to run down to any store (even Walmart) and pick up a microSD-to-USB adapter for a few bucks. You will need said adapter in any case for many other tasks.
11th June 2013, 12:42 AM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thanks given for an excellent job.

This forum just took a leap forward in user friendliness thanks to e.mote !

Not to take anything away from Leapinlar and verygreen but the previous instructions were a little intimidating for a complete newbie. I'm a veteran of the Nook Color days and have been through a few installations of CM. Even I had to read and re-read the previous instructions carefully before feeling confidant enough to proceed.

I was actually thinking of contributing a User-friendly guide myself but I couldn't have done a better job than this one.

Between this and the great sale going on, hopefully we'll get more forum contributors and progress on CM for Nook HD+ can accelerate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erkdajerk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Erkdajerk Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 01:49 AM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Can't boot from MicroSDHC card
I followed the instructions and created the bootable microsdhc card (samsung 32gb class 6) and when I put it in the nook hd+ and powered it on, it's not booting into it. Any suggestions?
11th June 2013, 02:00 AM |#16  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekimzulad

I followed the instructions and created the bootable microsdhc card (samsung 32gb class 6) and when I put it in the nook hd+ and powered it on, it's not booting into it. Any suggestions?

You can try the new alternate method of making the CWM SD from my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature. See item 1. Also some of the newer HD+ are hard to get to boot from SD. Try blowing air into the microSD slot.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.
11th June 2013, 02:23 AM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Good guide.

Only thing that I did differently was to use TWRP. Didn't boot into SD card the first time, worked on second time.
11th June 2013, 02:26 AM |#18  
OP Recognized Contributor

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonlicht

Good guide.

Only thing that I did differently was to use TWRP. Didn't boot into SD card the first time, worked on second time.

The only issue with using TWRP is I think the backup/restore is broken on this version.

11th June 2013, 02:34 AM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

The only issue with using TWRP is I think the backup/restore is broken on this version.

Isn't that beautiful. Time to flash CWM.
The Following User Says Thank You to zonlicht For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zonlicht Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 03:18 AM |#20  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 190

More
I'm already hip-deep in the process, so this thread is a bit late to do me any good However, one thing I found along the way over in leap's CWM tools thread did make this process faster and easier: you don't have to "burn" a CWM card for the HD/HD+. Apparently the new Nooks' hardware is less picky than older models about what it will boot:

Quote:

Format any size card with SDFormatter (free on web).

Use partitioning software (Mini-Tool Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Manager, both free) to set the first partition as "active".

Unarchive the appropriate set of BOOTFILES for your device (HD or HD+)

I just extracted the files from verygreen's CWM image. It's a lot faster than burning an image, and especially saved me time because I used leap's CWM to root so I could make a Titanium Backup of stock and then swapped in the files from verygreen's CWM for the CM10.1 install. Maybe verygreen's would have worked for both, but it was no trouble swapping out the files.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taosaur For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Taosaur Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 07:05 AM |#21  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 80

More
What do I have to do differently here to go from stock to verygreen's latest more "official" build? I noticed he has a different CWM and obviously a different Rom than the ones you reference here, but his post isn't nearly as foolproof as yours
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)