FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

[HD/HD+] Dummies Guide for Installing CM 10.1/10.2 (and now CM 11) (Updated 7-13-14)

8,873 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,870

By leapinlar, Recognized Contributor on 27th May 2013, 03:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
11th June 2013, 08:05 AM |#21  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 80

More
What do I have to do differently here to go from stock to verygreen's latest more "official" build? I noticed he has a different CWM and obviously a different Rom than the ones you reference here, but his post isn't nearly as foolproof as yours

11th June 2013, 08:34 AM |#22  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
This is probably a stupid question, but none of the guides I can find on here mention it specifically, nor does this one.

Will this method work on the new version 2.1.0 software? It seems the nook's force the update to install, so it is kind of impossible to avoid, but I just wanted to ask to make sure it would work and isn't likely to mess anything up.
11th June 2013, 01:56 PM |#23  
Thanks Meter: 896

More
>Will this method work on the new version 2.1.0 software?

The stock version doesn't matter, since you'll be booting to a bootable SD card and overwriting stock with CM (after backing up of course).

>What do I have to do differently here to go from stock to verygreen's latest more "official" build?

The guide uses the '####' filename designation to mean whatever is the latest CM ROM version from verygreen's development thread. Put differently, the "install from stock" process is the same for any build. I'll add a section for "update" installs for newer ROM versions.

I used leapinlar's CWM boot image because it is a 4GB image and allows more space (for backup) than verygreen's 1GB boot image. I used verygreen's CWM installable package.

I initially used TWRP (from verygreen's thread) over CWM, as TWRP is more navigation friendly, being touch-based, and allows more options. Unfortunately, my test backup/restore routine failed. The backup finished and checked out with MD5 verify, but the restore crashed and corrupted the SD card which has the saved files. This happened twice in a row, and the failure was at the same place (when restoring /boot partition).

The guide relies on the KISS principle, which means simple and foolproof. There may be faster ways to image a file onto media, but any additional software or step introduced is another potential point of failure or confusion. With KISS, you don't give newbies options, as that forces them to make decisions and increases complexity. The guide is responsible for picking the best option for them. "Best" here means most tried-and-true, aka foolproof.
11th June 2013, 02:23 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Thumbs up
Nice, a guide for the rest of us.

With Cm10.1 can the nook hd still read exfat?
11th June 2013, 04:15 PM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 896

More
CM 10.1 doesn't support exFAT or NTFS. There are add-on solutions available, one is here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38264385). Perhaps verygreen will take requests to include exFAT/NTFS support into the build itself.

PS: I've updated the guide to include eMMC install for the Nook HD, now that it's made available by verygreen. But I'll leave it to others to answer questions on the HD since I don't have one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e.mote For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift e.mote Ad-Free
11th June 2013, 07:26 PM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by e.mote

CM 10.1 doesn't support exFAT or NTFS. There are add-on solutions available, one is here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=38264385). Perhaps verygreen will take requests to include exFAT/NTFS support into the build itself.

PS: I've updated the guide to include eMMC install for the Nook HD, now that it's made available by verygreen. But I'll leave it to others to answer questions on the HD since I don't have one.

exfat seems to work using that, thanks!
13th June 2013, 12:01 AM |#27  
Flag Houston
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I just want to thank the OP for this easy to understand guide.
I finally have my HD+ working the way I want.
13th June 2013, 01:02 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Got it all working here thanks

One thing though, I only seem to get a 802.11g connection on wireless - do these devices do 802.11n?
13th June 2013, 03:02 AM |#29  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Awesome guide, thanks for making it. I got everything installed and working correctly; however, I used a 16gb micro sd card and now it is only showing that it is a 4gb card. I want to use the full 16gb capacity for storing media. How do I return the micro sd card to its original state, and is this a good idea or not? Thanks for any help you can provide.
The Following User Says Thank You to tvince0913 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tvince0913 Ad-Free
13th June 2013, 03:41 AM |#30  
Flag Ohiopolis
Thanks Meter: 190

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvince0913

Awesome guide, thanks for making it. I got everything installed and working correctly; however, I used a 16gb micro sd card and now it is only showing that it is a 4gb card. I want to use the full 16gb capacity for storing media. How do I return the micro sd card to its original state, and is this a good idea or not? Thanks for any help you can provide.

SD Formatter: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/
13th June 2013, 12:42 PM |#31  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
HI. I've followed the guide and have CM10.1 running on my 8GB Nook HD, but I wondered if there was any way to move apps to the external SD card ?
I've tried a number of options and apps, but they all seem to fail because of the emulated SD Card (I think that's correct?).

I was running CM10.1 from SD previously, but I was suffering freezing at random (using a SanDisk 16Gb Ultra HC Class 10 card).

Cheers!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)