1,525 posts
Thanks Meter: 368

Post Reply Email Thread
24th July 2013, 05:53 PM |#101  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptosXLayer2

I wouldn't have mentioned soldering the connections and the strength of soldered wires if I didn't solder them to begin with! Twist and crimp connections are NOT going to work on this, and you didn't even mention the crimping part, haha.... so YES, you MUST solder these wires if you want anything to work for more than a few days!

Let me know if shortening that cable works, I don't see how it can, really considering it's only 1.2M to begin with, not 3M like the iBolt one was....

It seems to all depend on the gauge of the wires and length. I noticed that almost all the cables prior to the S4's charging cable use very high gauge (thinner wires), so this new aux cable that doesn't look like it was designed for the s4 probably has very thin wiring inside. The iBolt cable had surprisingly decent gauge wire inside, but was way too long apparently. Shortening the $5 cable might help it.. not sure if there is also another factor in the s4 deciding what current it can pull from any given cable. But it seems its all about current capability of the wire, which is a factor of gauge and length.

@KryptosXLayer2 If you're talking about shortening the iBolt cable, I agree to definately solder all wires, and put a piece of heat shrink over each wire, and a thicker one over the finished 5 wires. You wont want any wire coming loose or contacting another wire. Best to put the wires on top of eachother and twist together before soldering, practise first if its your first time. Putting the wires side by side (parallel) then twisting results in a big clump of wire thats harder to keep slim.

I tried to post a photo of my finished mod, but it was blocked.

This link might work:

Hope this helps,
Paul

24th July 2013, 09:04 PM |#102  
Thanks Meter: 557

More
I believe it's too many of us who bought the older S3 version of i-bolt which was able to work at some point either with the use of a custom kernel or with the late Samsung kernel updates. I personally have 2 of them in my 2 cars and now I have both S3 which I passed to my wife and S4 which I kept for myself.

I believe there must be a way to modify the older i-bolt adapter to make it work so please, if anyone finds a workaround, post it here.

The only workaround I can think as of now is to discard the dock connector and fasten the direct USB connector close to that area and use USB connector instead. Then use tasker commands to automate the procedure of launching dock mode upon USB connection. Not the best solution but I hope someone finds a way to make an adapter to modify the pins layout.
24th July 2013, 10:30 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Since the new Google Maps does not have the "just drive" mode on their Navigation app without entering a destination....I won't really even use my dock very much unless I'm actually entering a destination, which is pretty rare in my own city. Thanks el google for ruining the app. I liked to have it up in the navigation mode so it wouldn't dim the screen and so I could see the traffic ahead of me.

Anyone else figure out a way around this in the new Google Maps?
25th July 2013, 10:22 AM |#104  
Flag Ludwigsburg
Thanks Meter: 99

More
@mmark27 - you should be able to uninstall the update. Open app in the application manager and select uninstall update.
25th July 2013, 03:10 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 429

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithyNZ

@mmark27 - you should be able to uninstall the update. Open app in the application manager and select uninstall update.

Right, I am able to uninstall the update, but I like every other feature except this lack of the just drive mode!

anyways, to update my comment earlier, I did receive the Engive SGS4 Car Dock :

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a real basic dock, very slim and small profile and for that I like it. It doesn't force the Dock Mode, either. The plastic seems reasonably built and the suction cup appears pretty strong. I'd recommend this for anyone that doesn't want bulk and doesn't use a case on their phone.
6th August 2013, 07:01 PM |#106  
Flag Orlando FL
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeds

I bought the proclip and iBolt dock based off of proclips reputation and your recommendations.

The mounting went fine. No major roadblocks there (so punny)

One hangup: The sound quality is inconsistent for me. Sometimes perfect clarity, and other times unbearably crackly. It seems to depend on how the cable is angled. That cable is incredibly stiff!

Any recommendations to loosening up the cable? I emailed iBolt support yesterday morning and haven't heard back. I might already need a replacement :/

Edit/suggestion: as someone mentioned, I unhooked the cable from the back of the dock, so now it hangs. That gives it more leeway. I'll have a 2 hour car ride today to test that out.

Sent from my SGS3 via Tapatalk 4 Beta

I have a similar audio issue on mine. Its not all the time, but enough for me to start thinking about other alternatives. I've got mine mounted on a Kuda mount using the AMPs plate. The cable comes through a hole in the front of the Kuda mount right behind the dock. I've got it coiled up inside the mount right now with the USB side of the cable going into a usb charger plugged into a 12v power port I hard wired in behind the dash. The audio cable goes through a coupler and into the factory 3.5 aux plug located inside the arm rest. I'd say about half the time I get a horribly crackly noise coming through the input. I've tried opening the cover on the back of the dock and unplugging the super stiff extension cable from the y-cable and just plugging the y-cable directly into the phone. I still get dock mode, charging, audio output, etc. Unfortunately, I still get the same noise. Interestingly, the noise goes away if I unplug the usb plug from the charger. I've tried 2 different usb car charger plugs, 1 PNY 2.1a and 1 best buy brand 1a charger. Both produce the same noise. And, the noise seems to be there regardless of what audio source I'm using. Doesn't matter if its Google Music, the phone's music player or Pandora. All produce the same background noise. And its audible when the music is paused and doesn't seem to change if I adjust the volume on the phone. I believe it to be coming from the cable itself.

Also, for those of you concerned about the reduced charging ability of the cable, for my purposes its a non issue. I did an 11 hour drive last week with Pandora going, Google Maps navigation running in the background and the screen on and the battery was just fine. About the same when I got home as when I left. Thankfully, the audio didn't act up at any point on the drive. It was pretty bad on the way up, had to resort to FM radio part of the way.
6th August 2013, 09:23 PM |#107  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 89

More
I still get the crackling noise. My theory is the GS3 and GS4 have issues with grounding the input charging current and pick up static noise from the car engine.

I did extensive testing with a variety of different cables and car chargers. The crackling sound is reproducible and occurs only when the phone is charging via a car USB adapter.

My conclusion is that the quality of the Y cable in combination with a design flaw in the Galaxy Series, will unavoidably have sound issues when charging and using aux output.

Other thoughts:
I've moved to a standard AUX cable.

May upgrade to BT to resolve and noise pickup.

I do still use and like the iBolt mount with revolving plate.

I liked the idea of a car mode, so I'm implenting that through NFC&Tasker.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
19th August 2013, 10:19 AM |#108  
Thanks Meter: 557

More
I could have bought from I-bolt again in the future but what they did is so frustrating that for the sake of principles they are now in my blacklist.

I bought 2 units for my s3 and before I got my s4 I asked them if my existing units could charge the s4. I didn't care about dock mode because I could trigger it with tasker. They confirm that it could work. When I got my s4 and connected it I saw that nothing happened so I got back to them to inform them that the information they gave me was wrong. To my surprise they replied back with a message that due to the misleading information they provided, they would send a free unit. I thanked them and told them that if they did so, I would buy another one from them for my other car. I provided all my details but it ended up to be a joke. Never replied back to any of my emails and not a single word from them ever since. Sometimes it is better for people to just keep quiet instead of promising lies. Just for this I lost my trust in them and they are now in my blacklist. If they didn't say that, I could buy from them again in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
19th August 2013, 04:04 PM |#109  
Flag Gurnee
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy

I could have bought from I-bolt again in the future but what they did is so frustrating that for the sake of principles they are now in my blacklist.

I bought 2 units for my s3 and before I got my s4 I asked them if my existing units could charge the s4. I didn't care about dock mode because I could trigger it with tasker. They confirm that it could work. When I got my s4 and connected it I saw that nothing happened so I got back to them to inform them that the information they gave me was wrong. To my surprise they replied back with a message that due to the misleading information they provided, they would send a free unit. I thanked them and told them that if they did so, I would buy another one from them for my other car. I provided all my details but it ended up to be a joke. Never replied back to any of my emails and not a single word from them ever since. Sometimes it is better for people to just keep quiet instead of promising lies. Just for this I lost my trust in them and they are now in my blacklist. If they didn't say that, I could buy from them again in the future.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

I would give them another chance/time. They have historically provided outstanding customer service to most of us here. I believe they are a rather small company (based in the US!), so there is definitely a human factor involved. Sometimes we err and forget or delay. I am sure that if you contact them again and are patient that they will take care of you in a satisfying manner. In fact, there is a member here from i-Bolt that frequently reads and provides assistance. You might try sending him a PM about your trouble.

EDIT: Here is the forum member that may be able to help you out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=4679934
26th August 2013, 04:56 PM |#110  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Just ordered this and a 2a charger - I'm not clear on what usb cable mods need to be done.

Anyone have a write up on soldering or moding to get ~1500ma in the phone while docked?
27th August 2013, 11:39 PM |#111  
OP Senior Member
Flag Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 368

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsitalon1

Just ordered this and a 2a charger - I'm not clear on what usb cable mods need to be done.

Anyone have a write up on soldering or moding to get ~1500ma in the phone while docked?

My post #96 should tell you everything you need to know - let me know if you have any questions!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)