wireless miracast screen mirroring with Netgear PTV 3000

554 posts
Thanks Meter: 139

By bubblesmoney, Senior Member on 6th May 2013, 11:18 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
20th May 2013, 12:31 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I have a LG and a sharp TV hdmi are good on both adapter works fine with my LG Og on both tvs I'm guessing I got bamboozled and purchased a knock off lol. Or maybe my tvs just aren't compatible with the S4 I hope not though.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using xda premium

20th May 2013, 12:53 AM |#22  
Flag Austin
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonkey

I did everything you described still get the error message I posted. I purchased mine on ebay... the box mine Came in is different then your box maybe I purchased some knock off crap? On the instructions that came with it it says I need to go into settings>display>wireless display and select the SSID noted in step 1. Only problem is I have no idea how to get into the settings you can't navigate into the settings?

Interesting. You may have. Yours is using the Rocketfish color scheme while mine is all metal gray. Your Android logo is green while mine is white. Could be something or could be nothing.

The "settings>display>wireless display and select the SSID noted in step 1." is referring to your phone not the receiver. So basically you would go into the S4's menu to access this. For me I just go into the notification panel for quick settings and choose "screen mirroring". The phone will then scan for nearby devices and you should see your TV's SSID name on your S4. You then just tap on the SSID name and then hit the WPS button and it should start to connect.

Another note is that this particular product from Rocketfish is being sold "exclusively" by Best Buy. That's not to say someone else can't buy it and resell on eBay, Amazon, etc., but my point is Best Buy is the only authorized distributor for them at the moment.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote:

I have a LG and a sharp TV hdmi are good on both adapter works fine with my LG Og on both tvs I'm guessing I got bamboozled and purchased a knock off lol. Or maybe my tvs just aren't compatible with the S4 I hope not though.

Lol. Man that would not be cool if your LG and Sharp TV are not playing nice with the S4. I doubt it since it works well with my Sony. If you felt you got bamboozled then go buy one at Best Buy and try it out to see if it works. If it does then you've confirmed that you got a defective unit from eBay and try to return it. If it still doesn't work then you have 15 days to return it to Best Buy for a full refund.

Or just take your receiver and microUSB cable out to Best Buy or another local store and plug it into one of their Sharp or LG TV and test it out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Au999 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Au999 Ad-Free
20th May 2013, 01:17 AM |#23  

More
The one I purchased was used and like 20 $ cheaper then best buy. Should have known better. The box is like a plain white box with the rocketfish branding being what looks like a sticker that wraps around the box. Smh. If best buy is the only retailer then I would imagine the packaging should all be the same. I'll do some research see if there is a better option like the all share dongle or something else. What flaws did you have with yours? I played a movie with my lgog and sound would cut out for a brief moment every 10 seconds or so.

20th May 2013, 01:37 AM |#24  
Flag Austin

More
Quote:

The one I purchased was used and like 20 $ cheaper then best buy. Should have known better. The box is like a plain white box with the rocketfish branding being what looks like a sticker that wraps around the box. Smh. If best buy is the only retailer then I would imagine the packaging should all be the same. I'll do some research see if there is a better option like the all share dongle or something else. What flaws did you have with yours? I played a movie with my lgog and sound would cut out for a brief moment every 10 seconds or so.

Yeah, it does seem like you have bought a knockoff by the way you're describing the packaging. It doesn't look or feel like that on my box. I had $15 reward dollars that I used towards this so I went for it. My biggest issue is the sound quality. It would cut out just like you described. However, if I just play a regular audio file the sound transmits without any issues and is crystal clear. It only happens when I play games or stream videos. I haven't tried playing a video file yet, but will do so tonight to see if the same issue occurs.

That's a shame too, because for the most part everything else works well for me especially the design of the receiver. Unlike AppleTV or the Netgear it plugs directly into the HDMI port and the microUSB-USB cable plugs into the TV as well so you it's very portable and eliminates the need for additional storage space.

It does lag so gaming is not ideal, but according to other posts in this thread the Netgear lags as well. But my worry is it lagged on me for streaming videos and regular phone usages too. I noticed after you just exited an app you have to let it "rest" a bit otherwise it will start to lag. Especially after about 15 - 20 minutes of use when the phone starts to heat up.
20th May 2013, 02:29 AM |#25  

More
So I tried it with my OG to my LG tv and it worked fine the sound didnt cut out and gaming seemed to be pretty decent not much lag. On the sharp tv compeltely different story very laggy and sound issues. I have no idea what to think maybe sammy doesn't get along with sharp or lg I dunno? Does yours work better on your samsung tv compared to the sony?

20th May 2013, 05:08 AM |#26  
Flag Austin

More
Quote:

So I tried it with my OG to my LG tv and it worked fine the sound didnt cut out and gaming seemed to be pretty decent not much lag. On the sharp tv compeltely different story very laggy and sound issues. I have no idea what to think maybe sammy doesn't get along with sharp or lg I dunno? Does yours work better on your samsung tv compared to the sony?

Unfortunately I get the same results either from the Samsung or Sony TV. I transferred a few 1080p videos onto my S4 and tried to stream it to the TV and it was as bad as streaming videos via YouTube. Complete false advertisement from Rocketfish and I sent them an email about it as well. Let's see how they respond back in 72 hours.

I was still planning to keep it though as it does a pretty decent job if you just want to share your screen. Good for photos, PDFs, Powerpoint presentations, etc. I was planning on keeping it and use it with my tablet for these purposes at work, but unfortunately this thing only supports Android 4.2.1 or newer and Sony's Z tablet is only at 4.1 right now. Even though Sony has released AOSP 4.2.2 to the Z tablet it's not intended for daily use and no telling when they will update their version of Android to 4.2.1 or newer.
20th May 2013, 05:45 AM |#27  
OP Senior Member

More
The ssid should be for the dongle and not the tv.

point which I have mentioned in my review video and my written review on Amazon are that some dongles like wireless keyboard etc get interference from circuit boards so when same dongles are connected via an extension cable then the interference seems to go away. So although having a direct hdmi plug on the device is useful I am guessing it can be affected by interference issues from tv boards. Mine is plugged in via an extension cable.

don't connect it via the bottom hdmi ports try the side ports as signal is stronger. Try keeping it in line of sight as another Amazon review had interference for the reception when not in line of sight or if some one was walking between the devices.

for my powerline ethernet adapter kit the instructions says fluorescent lights can interfere sometimes. Don't know if this might affect this device as well
20th May 2013, 05:50 AM |#28  
OP Senior Member

More
You don't need 4.2 older Sony devices and LG ones are miracast capable as per the link given by me in the YouTube upload video description.

Also Miracast although supposed to be similar on all devices it is not as there are some optional elements and not all manufacturers might include the optional elements which can create issues as per Wikipedia.

Mine works fine on my Sony tv. Will check my LG tv today.

android tv box which supposedly had Miracast does not work for screen mirroring for me. The replacement box does not work either.

Blu-ray player with Miracast will come on Tuesday and I will check. Amazon goofed up and first time the courier tried to con me by giving me an older model that I had ordered too and cancelled transaction. Then for next order the courier tried to get me to sign as delivered for the higher spec model but giving me older model so I complained to Amazon after refusing delivery. Now they are sending one out for the third time. Hopefully there will not be more goof ups again.
20th May 2013, 06:16 AM |#29  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Au999

Unfortunately I get the same results either from the Samsung or Sony TV. I transferred a few 1080p videos onto my S4 and tried to stream it to the TV and it was as bad as streaming videos via YouTube. Complete false advertisement from Rocketfish and I sent them an email about it as well. Let's see how they respond back in 72 hours.

I was still planning to keep it though as it does a pretty decent job if you just want to share your screen. Good for photos, PDFs, Powerpoint presentations, etc. I was planning on keeping it and use it with my tablet for these purposes at work, but unfortunately this thing only supports Android 4.2.1 or newer and Sony's Z tablet is only at 4.1 right now. Even though Sony has released AOSP 4.2.2 to the Z tablet it's not intended for daily use and no telling when they will update their version of Android to 4.2.1 or newer.

Rocket fish has got a YouTube channel. I have all Miracast devices and loads of others on my android accessories play lists. See the rocket fish upload which I think is also there in my android accessories playlist number 2. All play lists are linked in my tag line. I have put lads of Miracast device videos on those play lists. I periodically update my play lists sometimes many times a day. So check it out if you are interested in those devices.
20th May 2013, 06:40 AM |#30  
Flag Austin

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesmoney

You don't need 4.2 older Sony devices and LG ones are miracast capable as per the link given by me in the YouTube upload video description.

Also Miracast although supposed to be similar on all devices it is not as there are some optional elements and not all manufacturers might include the optional elements which can create issues as per Wikipedia.

Mine works fine on my Sony tv. Will check my LG tv today.

android tv box which supposedly had Miracast does not work for screen mirroring for me. The replacement box does not work either.

Blu-ray player with Miracast will come on Tuesday and I will check. Amazon goofed up and first time the courier tried to con me by giving me an older model that I had ordered too and cancelled transaction. Then for next order the courier tried to get me to sign as delivered for the higher spec model but giving me older model so I complained to Amazon after refusing delivery. Now they are sending one out for the third time. Hopefully there will not be more goof ups again.

The Netgear PTV-3000 probably does support older Android devices. I don't know since I haven't looked into it yet. But my comment about 4.2.1 or newer was for the Rocketfish receiver only. I'm only going by what they have on their box and also on their website - which states they only support devices that has version 4.2.1 or newer. I've attached an image from the back of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocketfish2.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1976121  
20th May 2013, 07:42 AM |#31  
OP Senior Member

More
Miracast certified devices have older firmware too. See on the Miracast certifications link I have given on my video description. If the device is Miracast certified even if they have older firmware it should work with your dongle that is certified. Just see the link on my video description.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)