Android 2.3+ on NST and NSTG: Still A Dream!

Search This thread

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran
[NEVERMIND] Ignore this thread as the new Nook glowlight still uses Android 2.1. Sigh! Look here: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/BN-NOOK-Comparison-Chart.pdf

So with the new Nook 2013, simply called Nook Glowlight, it seems the hardware specs have not changed other than better eInk resolution and 4GB internal memory. Yet, as it's running Android 2.3 (reconfirmed by a comment yesterday by Michael*), it gives us hope that once we get our hands on it, we'll be able to port it to the older models.

Personally, I think this is absolutely possible, it's just a matter of time.

*Source: http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/hands-on-with-the-new-barnes-and-noble-nook-with-glowlight-2013

Last edited:

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran
We'll have to see how easy it will be to root it.
Without a microSD slot one avenue is cut off.

4GB is not bad, allocating only 0.5G for sideload is limiting.

Well, seems guys at Goodereader.com were wrong. As you can see, the new NG is reported to still run on Android 2.1. One thing which makes me question the validity of this piece of information (even on B&N's own website) is that on the same page (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Compare-NOOKs/379003181/), the CPU for NST is mentioned as to be 600Mhz!!!!! So, this info might be misleading. We have to see, I hope it's 2.3, but unlikely.

dombeef

Jun 5, 2012
Wouldnt this thread be better suited for the Nook Touch General Sub Forum? Or at the least can you change the title of the thread?

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran
Wouldnt this thread be better suited for the Nook Touch General Sub Forum? Or at the least can you change the title of the thread?

I changed the title, as it was not right; I was mislead by the blog mentioned above that seems authoritative in eBooks, oh well...

On a side note, this corner (Nook Development) and in fact the whole Nook forum is so quiet compared to Kindle forum!!! I didn't expect this.

Reactions: dombeef

idoit

Jan 5, 2012
Canada <3 Iran

straygecko

Feb 20, 2009
I'm eagerly waiting for exposure of Nook Glowlight's source code! It's version 1.3:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/software-updates-nook-glowlight/379004086
B&N has published the GPL source. Looks like Eclair (Android 2.1) webkit. Still no firmware I can find. Probably won't see it until they release the first update to the Glowlight or a new owner figures out how to pull the factory.zip off their new Glowlight.

http://img1.imagesbn.com/pImages/nook/nook08/source-code/nook_glowlight_1_3_0.tgz

Reactions: idoit

aiamuzz

Dec 24, 2011
Wondering Why !!!

Hi,

I couldn't be more happier with my NST with Glowlight.
running 1.2.1 with both multitouch and norefresh hacks running great.

One thing i miss is offline news apps. like the one BBC has going which luckily runs on Android 2.1
but the bulk of offline news apps and many other great reading centric apps are on Android 2.2 and higher

I have been ever so hoping badly on why an Android 2.3 hasn't been a possibility on our NST & NST with glowlight.

I have seen much more bigger challenges accomplished on our NST's with G included.

marspeople, renate, and many more... are all over the NST landscape hacking away and increasing value of our NST's(with the dictionaries added, eink specific handwriting apps, norefresh app, multitouch cracks, kernel mods to unlock other value ... and the latest to the list is Renate's Reader app)

Inspite of all this talent, a shot for cm7 or an android 2.3 or even 2.2 hasn't been attempted.

I am assuming there is something that just doesn't add up ... to make such an attempt worthwhile.

Can Renate or anybody else list out a detailed description on why a custom ROM 2.2 or 2.3(preferably) is so undeserving of our NST's with Glowlight included.

really like to see that DEAD-END ... if there's one ... a very large part of me hoping badly that there isn't one !!!

and we can really live up to see a cm7 for NST & NST with G one day.

Cheers.

Last edited:

dorfd1

Jan 13, 2012
We need a cm compatible device tree, the kernel needs to be modified to boot cm. Would it be better to first attempt to port cm5 since it is based on android 2.1?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Gosh! :)

The Nook is a bit underpowered and doesn't have a lot of RAM.
It would take a bunch of effort to even increment up a few versions of Android.
Add to that is the fact that the best apps are eInk-aware.

I think it's better to decide which apps you want to use on the Nook and adapt/modify those.

Besides, even the apps that support 2.3 will be expiring soon.

dorfd1

Jan 13, 2012
Gosh! :)

The Nook is a bit underpowered and doesn't have a lot of RAM.
It would take a bunch of effort to even increment up a few versions of Android.
Add to that is the fact that the best apps are eInk-aware.

I think it's better to decide which apps you want to use on the Nook and adapt/modify those.

Besides, even the apps that support 2.3 will be expiring soon.

What do you mean by expiring?

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

N

NOOK!E

In a word: drivers. Each new version of Android requires rewritten drivers, without source code this is next to impossible, now you know why your carrier doesn't just push updates when they become available.
OB

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 2

Darn shame. 2.3 would be so nice for my NSTG - not that 2.1 isn't perfectly fine, though! :)

spaboleo

Jul 16, 2010
Darn shame. 2.3 would be so nice for my NSTG - not that 2.1 isn't perfectly fine, though! :)

To be honest...a lot of developers have given up support for 2.1, as the market share is diminishing and it doesn't make sense to put the effort in to maintain compatibility :(

I would love to use moon+ or Google Books on my NSTG :/

Or a newer version of Pocket that is not that painful to use...

N

NOOK!E

To be honest...a lot of developers have given up support for 2.1, as the market share is diminishing and it doesn't make sense to put the effort in to maintain compatibility :(

I would love to use moon+ or Google Books on my NSTG :/

Or a newer version of Pocket that is not that painful to use...

Huh. How can developers give up support for an android version which is the only one available for our device?

Top Liked Posts