Project: OpenAndroid aka Open Android Alliance

Search This thread

jjcd51590

Aug 28, 2008
KATY
I vote for replacing the browser with steel
and email app with k9-mail.
We need also to patch the installer to be able to install apps to system.

Nice ideas and i agree but at the moment we just trying to get somethin that can get google out of our phones for a serious OPEN handset haha but good ideas thanks

and superg05 keep us updated on what you find.

adelco93

Jan 8, 2009
San Leandro, Ca
Cyanogen, i am in no way shape or form being mean or want to take away any of the GREAT and i mean GREAT accomplishments you have acheived, but i think we all need to understand what you did was illegal, you knew it (at least i hope you did), i knew it, and hopefully others who used your roms knew it. You included Google's apps in your roms, as ive said before your roms themselves are not illegal because Android IS open source, but apps such as google maps arent. I dont think the action google is taking against you for violating their copyrights on their apps constitutes an entire revamp of the whole market system that you implement in your roms. People just need to know where their rights to alter software begins and where it ends

deepside7

Jan 24, 2009
I say we stick it up google.

First, let's see what Google gets out of android:

They get our information. They get to see where we go, what we do etc. through the use of their apps.

So let's take that away from them. As people have mentioned, slideme.org is a great replacement for market.

I'd like to see all developers STOP uploading their content via market, and use slideme.org exclusively. I'm sure someone can write an app for slideme.org that will work similarly to market.

Google maps is free on the market, but screw it, we don't want to use it. There are alternatives, use them instead.

IM Clients are plentiful

Opera is a good browser, and there are other good options too.

The only thing we are reliant upon, is the synching.

I am a project manager, and I would love to assist in the managing of this 'project' , to ensure that google regret ever going against cyanogen

digitallysick

Nov 15, 2008
Manila Philippines
It would be far easier to just leave those few things out of the rom. Then later you can install them yourself, just not provided by him. Maybe just install the .apk files from a torrent later.

N3xt2N0N3

Aug 17, 2007
Brooklyn
www.doughboydesigns.com
How about cyanogen makes a rom without any google apps...whatsoever and we just push them ourselves...

If we back up all the googles apps and than just pust them. When cyanogen makes a blank rom.

Idk just a thought.

jjcd51590

Aug 28, 2008
KATY
we wouldnt have to push them, its free on the market, just because you cant distribute it doesnt mean you cant use it.

yes for now but the setup checkin and a few other apps including the market are closed.

I agree they have grounds on this but to un googlize android would not only be a cool project but protect from stuff like this in the future.

What, you don't know how to download the source from AOSP and compile?

Accually I don't I never said I knew how, but I am wholeheartedly willing to learn. Basically I started a thread I know the outside of android and what Ive read from these forums and Im just putting it all together in a sort of brainstorm and i appreciate u helping in tryin to put this all together

Last edited:

adelco93

Jan 8, 2009
San Leandro, Ca
yes for now but the setup checkin and a few other apps including the market are closed.

I agree they have grounds on this but to un googlize android would not only be a cool project but protect from stuff like this in the future.

Accually I don't I never said I knew how, but I am wholeheartedly willing to learn. Basically I started a thread I know the outside of android and what Ive read from these forums and Im just putting it all together in a sort of brainstorm and i appreciate u helping in tryin to put this all together

lol, protect us from what, the law? Thats essentially what cyan did, break the law, we all knew that. to un-googlize google would be horrible, they brought android to us and now you want to cut them out?

superg05

Aug 18, 2008
right now im trying rmaps as a replacement it has good points and bad ones
the good points it lets u keep maps you loaded stored on your sd card and has different map tile providers other than google

bad suppose to have driving directions in stuff still can't figure it out nor do i see a listed directions sort of thing and no public directions
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

veritasaequita

Jul 6, 2009
Slidell
what about t-mobs stance on any of this? Do they actually have anything to do with this? or in any way have to take sides? not sure thats the only reason im asking, with that said ill do whatever i can to help the cause!!! UP with hope and Down with dope!!! Hugs not Drugs!!! lol, wait a minute thats for something different.....lets do this!!!!

adelco93

Jan 8, 2009
San Leandro, Ca
what about t-mobs stance on any of this? Do they actually have anything to do with this? or in any way have to take sides? not sure thats the only reason im asking, with that said ill do whatever i can to help the cause!!! UP with hope and Down with dope!!! Hugs not Drugs!!! lol, wait a minute thats for something different.....lets do this!!!!

wait, i thought it was drugs not hugs? well that explains why my life is so eff'ed up, lol, jk

jjcd51590

Aug 28, 2008
KATY
lol, protect us from what, the law? Thats essentially what cyan did, break the law, we all knew that. to un-googlize google would be horrible, they brought android to us and now you want to cut them out?

This is a project for a limitless experience sure they gave it to us but why not make it so the device does what we want without having to deal with copyrights and by protected i mean from haveing to change up everything just cause someone says so if you dont like it then by all means use a dumbed down version or dare i say stock.

if there is an audience there is a product and this would be my product

adelco93

Jan 8, 2009
San Leandro, Ca
what are these limits you speak of, there are no limits, android IS open source. Which means google says if you dont want to use their apps you dont have to, by all means make your own maps application if you want to, nobody will stop you.

jjcd51590

Aug 28, 2008
KATY
what are these limits you speak of, there are no limits, android IS open source. Which means google says if you dont want to use their apps you dont have to, by all means make your own maps application if you want to, nobody will stop you.

the limits i speak of are exactly what cyan ran into he has been pushing the limits and essentially reached them.

Wow he finally gets the picture of the project

testing567

Nov 18, 2008
I just had a eureka moment! I know how we can install all the closed source apps legally. The idea of remaking all Google apps is still a good idea so I'm going to post up my idea in a new thread. I don't want to clutter up this one. Give me a minute to type it out. I'll give you a hint. Have you ever installed a PlayStation emulator on your PC?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All i want in this thread is only if you are interested in developing/themeing/ect. for our Open Android Alliance Project. Post requiring info needed.

Open-Android-Alliance Create a fully open source Android OS

The new site is officially up: Home of Open Android Alliance register now everyone

As you all are probably aware Cyanogen has been sent a Cease and Desist order.
    The purpose here comes from an idea of Sr. member Doooshty where we should
    use this opportunity to get everyone come together and create alternatives to Google'
    apps we are calling on anyone with experience who is up to the challenge to set this
    straight and out "Android" Google.

People we are rebuilding android as we see fit if you want to Frankenstein it to hell open another
    thread... OPEN SOURCE ALL THE WAY if i can not get the source one way or another it is not being used

This however is not about Getting back at google or who was in the wrong in the C&D
    This is solely a project about distributing a *Flavor* of android that is fully customizeable
    and does not rely on google or other copyrights...

As of now the goal is a Rom (No google at all) that we can make calls from and text
    I would like all apps to be developed in house so it is easy to get in contact with the developer if we
    want to make any changes or get intouch with the origional developer to make sure they approve.

All apps to be open source not just free and require writtin permission from origional developer giving permission to edit (mainly visually)

THIS IS ALL EXPERIMENTAL AT THIS TIME

We are going to need several things from devs such as:

1. New app store
    slideme.org
    anddevstore (cant find exact link)
    various other new open source projects in process of being developed

Obsidiandesire is looking into the android store

2. New email system
    Dev needed

3. New Navigation
    Dev needed

4. New IM client
    Dev needed

5. YouTube
    Dev needed
    Talk of porting a .flv player but unclear about content copyright

6. Setup Wizard
    (App developers is it possible to create a simple app that is basicly
    a drop down with all major carriers APN settings that will
    automaticly set at first boot?)

irrenhaus discovered it is a only database change. Any app developers
    want to look into this with him?

7. Sync Alternative
    Dev needed

8. Browser
    (steel, default, opera)
    Dev needed

I would like to get permission before using them if possible.

9. Making apps talk to each other.
    Dev needed

10. Space for development files.
    Anyone?
    we Should open one of them google project pages :p jk

11. We need a centeral "stock" theme perhaps we can get some prototypes drawn up. this is so the visual
    designers have something they can go against so every app has a sort of "flow" to it and color schemes are
    not changing drastically through every app. (this can be changed later)

90% of useful apps come from this website in some way so i believe along with Doooshty and Cyanogen
    that this can be accomplished...

CALLING ALL DEVS!!!! If you are interested in taking android away from the chains
    of the man post here or send me a private message.

Can anyone create a Rom with no google what so ever to start with so we can see where
    we need to go from there?

This is coming along nicely (other then the occasional "This is dumb blah blah blah") I want to thank everyone for taking an interest in this.

Now while other ways may work like loop holes and loading close source apps on the user end at this point it will require one of 2 things either 1. Each developer does it thier own way (which is perfectly fine). or 2 automatically import the closed source apps in via script (which im sure could be painless in itself) while this is easy the visual customization would be alot less user friendly AFAIK such as theming. Say you got that nice new manup theme everything just flows together but u open up a stock browser/email/whatever it really throws off the experiance I may be completely wrong but this is what I think.

Dont get me wrong i love google but id rather not have them stopping development right as we got something new rolling.
    Stop Talk. Do Work.
    I completely agree with you that replacing Google and breaking the chains is an important long term goal.

It certainly is now, if this is going to be Google's attitude.

Back on the short term solution, couldn't ROM cookers actually include a partial wipe as part of their installer? i.e trash everything on /data/app and /system/app (or /sd/app and /sd/app_s, if you're perverse and insist on that A2SD cobblers :D). Everything that is, apart from the closed source APKs. Not only would you resolve the issue with Google, you'd solve a load of irritating "it doesn't work" posts caused by not wiping.