Best Screen Protector?

Search This thread

dplane

Apr 30, 2012
Motor City
I have the last Verizon one on now. The bottom just decided to lift and bubble around the bottom edge one day, it also has a few really small scratches on it. I need a new one but I'm not really sure what to get. I know I don't want a zagg shield I can't stand those. Has anyone found harder clear ones? Verizon ones are kind of soft

I probably mentioned it before in this thread but Im a big fan of the Realook protector..still on my first one after 9 or so months and still virtually as smooth as glass.
Only thing to keep in mind with these bastards is however that they cover the WHOLE front (including front camera..tho doesnt bother me..pretty much never use it anyway and when I do I dont notice the difference..its not like the front cam has wonderful quality to begin with), it also makes it harder to properly apply than the Verizon one because there is pretty much no room to spare around the edges..I like it tho bc you cant even tell there's a screen protector.

Last edited:

platinumrims

Dec 28, 2010
I probably mentioned it before in this thread but Im a big fan of the Realook protector..still on my first one after 9 or so months and still virtually as smooth as glass.
Only thing to keep in mind with these bastards is however that they cover the WHOLE front (including front camera..tho doesnt bother me..pretty much never use it anyway and when I do I dont notice the difference..its not like the front cam has wonderful quality to begin with), it also makes it harder to properly apply than the Verizon one because there is pretty much no room to spare around the edges..I like it tho bc you cant even tell there's a screen protector.

I ended up ordering some halos. They're so cheap it doesn't matter. I didn't want one covering the front though because of possible light sensor/camera issues. My front cam is broken anyway so I don't really use it anymore lol :-\ if these don't work I'll try a realook one next I suppose. I've seen that one mentioned a lot in here

dplane

Apr 30, 2012
Motor City
I ended up ordering some halos. They're so cheap it doesn't matter. I didn't want one covering the front though because of possible light sensor/camera issues. My front cam is broken anyway so I don't really use it anymore lol :-\

Yeah I initially thought the light sensor being covered as well would be an issue but in my case I dont use auto brightness (so its not being used there), and it seems it requires little accuracy for calls so it wont really matter if its a bit smudged up (never had an issue with it turning off while in call, or back on afterwards).
I also considered the Halos myself in the past and I've heard good things about them too so more power to ya :good:

Last edited:

platinumrims

Dec 28, 2010
Yea these halo ones suck. They don't lay down all the way around the edges. The cut kind of sucks too. Oh well. That's to be expected from cheap ones I guess.

tmushy

Jan 13, 2007
The Halo ones are actually really good I loved mine when I had the rezound. One protector lasted me forever.

Finally installed the Realook. Complete crap. Utter garbage. Worst screen protector ever installed. Will be off within 24 hours when I can replace it. Mind you, I've put everything from Zaggs to mall booth products on mine and other folks' phones with nary a bubble or glitch, and these are just awful. Don't lie flat, bubbles cannot be avoided, and the instructions are just, well, wrong. Avoid. Not worth it for .99$ including shipping on ebay or directly from company (as I got them).

alphabets

Mar 18, 2010
PA
1st Realook has been on my screen since April and I still do not need to put the 2nd one that comes with on. Perfect fit, hard crystal feel, only protector I have ever had that you absolutely cannot tell there is one on. Best screen protector I have ever owned. Makes me forget about Steinhil.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.

1st Realook has been on my screen since April and I still do not need to put the 2nd one that comes with on. Perfect fit, hard crystal feel, only protector I have ever had that you absolutely cannot tell there is one on. Best screen protector I have ever owned. Makes me forget about Steinhil.

Well, maybe mine were counterfeit. Fortunately found a couple of Zagg's on ebay for $4.99.

dplane

Apr 30, 2012
Motor City
Well, maybe mine were counterfeit. Fortunately found a couple of Zagg's on ebay for $4.99.

Seems pretty likely they might ve been counterfeit, especially bc of the oddly low price you paid for them. I agree with the opinion they are very similar to Steinheil, which is the reason I ordered mine at the time bc folks recommended I look into those when I expressed it was unfortunate Steinheil didn't make any protectors for the Rezound. They are pretty hard to put on though bc of the close fit.

Seems pretty likely they might ve been counterfeit, especially bc of the oddly low price you paid for them. I agree with the opinion they are very similar to Steinheil, which is the reason I ordered mine at the time bc folks recommended I look into those when I expressed it was unfortunate Steinheil didn't make any protectors for the Rezound. They are pretty hard to put on though bc of the close fit.

Well, the Zaggs are real --- someone got a load on a pallet and sold them cheaply. I have one and actually ordered another to buy him out. Based upon everyone's descriptions, I'm assuming the Realocks were not authentic, because even the ones Verizon sells were better.

zac41189

May 16, 2012
Albuquerque
I just got some halos in the mail about a week ago and they beat the Verizon screen protectors by a long shot. For half the cost you can't really lose. Amazon has a 3 pack for $4.99 and free shipping.

Sent from my Rezound using xda premium

platinumrims

Dec 28, 2010
I just got some halos in the mail about a week ago and they beat the Verizon screen protectors by a long shot. For half the cost you can't really lose. Amazon has a 3 pack for $4.99 and free shipping.

Mine were 13... I must be doing it wrong lol. They do feel harder but I've gone threw all three and none lay down all the way ¦~\ I should email them.

zac41189

May 16, 2012
Albuquerque
Mine were 13... I must be doing it wrong lol. They do feel harder but I've gone threw all three and none lay down all the way ¦~\ I should email them.

I'm just frugal as hell when it comes to shopping haha found a good deal from a trusted seller and free shipping. That's odd that they won't lay flat for you. Mine applied effortlessly and came out cherry. No air bubbles and laid down all the way around.

platinumrims

Dec 28, 2010
So I finally got back in town and got the replacement protectors they sent. One didn't lay down all the way... Again... And I couldn't get the protective skin off or another one lol. The pull tab just pulled off and the skin didn't come off :-\

But! The last one lays down all the way, success! Even though it's cut poorly and the bottom is uneven lol. Probably not buying halo ones ever again. Actually the next phone I decide to buy should have zag HDs or stien ultra clears or something. I also found a a pack of Verizon brand ones in my closet lol so I didn't even really need to buy any.

jmez900

Jan 9, 2013
Lots of helpful advice! Been lookin for a decent screen protector. The Verizon ones are awful. I actually liked the one that came with the otterbox commuter and that's cuz I've only tried the verizon ones

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ram911

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some tips on applying screen protectors dust free: (I posted these earlier in the thread... if they help you guys out, maybe we can have them added to the OP)

Before you start... wash your hands well and dry the most lint free way you can.

1) Do it in the bathroom... yeah the bathroom. It has the most hard surfaces of any room and has the least amount of dust in the air.

2) Do this right after someone takes a hot shower if possible. The humidity build up kills floating dust.

3)Use a spray bottle with water in it set on the lightest mist setting you can to mist the air in the room before you begin. This helps kill lingering dust in the air.

(If you really want to be anal... take off your shirt... moisten your hair... eliminate other personal dust creators. )

4) This tip is for static style only... Have a piece of scotch tape (the clear kind found on most office desks) near by. You can use this to remove any dust that manages to find its way under the protector. Use one piece to lightly stick to the protector's top to aid in lifting it without damage and then use a second piece to lightly pick off the dust from the bottom of the protector. Just a light touch is all that is needed to remove the dust. Avoid touching with fingers for obvious reasons.

5) clean the screen well with quality glass cleaner, then use a lint free towel to wipe it down and ensure there are no streaks. (the ones that come with cheap protectors are far from lint free so get one on your own if you can) I also highly recommend a can of air to blow off the screen after cleaning just in case dust or lint found its way there. Be careful to keep the can upright as it can spit out liquid propellant and smudge the clean screen forcing a re-clean.

6) If using an adhesive style (zagg, skinomi, others) apply a thin but complete coat to the back of the protector and a light mist to the screen. Do not touch the back of the protector if at all possible, if it must happen keep it to the tiniest bit of edge you can. (the liquid may work with static style as well, don't know never tried and probably never will, try if you want though and report back your findings)

7) For static style do as recommended and only peel back a bout a third of the film and then start at the bottom and use a credit card to slide up the protector. This will cause the film to peel off on its own. It will also help remove air bubbles. Do this slowly and use this time to ensure the fit is straight before its fully applied and needs to be redone. This minimizes the chances of dust. The adhesive kind are a little easier in this regard, as you can slide them around. That clear tape can help remove stubborn air bubbles as well, so don't fret too much should you get one. Here is the time to remove dust as well. (remember this is for static only... sticky tape + sticky protectors = stuck together forever)

8) For adhesive style, after the protector is applied, aligned, bubbles removed and you have ensured all the liquid possible is removed, let the thing sit somewhere warmish and untouched for 30 minutes to an hour. If you can get it somewhere there is some air flow, even better.

9) Enjoy your new dust free screen protector. (remember the adhesive style needs a day or two to fully dry out and clear up)
    Are you saying you got a custom install of Ghost Armor?

In any event the Ghost Armor I had was Crystal clear right after I put it on.
    I got it replaced at the mall after 8-9 months and it was clear when the gave to me 20 min. later.
    Most people could not tell I had anything on my phone.

It's still on the screen of my TP2 and it is still clear after 18 months.

Did you get some sort of anti-glare type of protector?

Do a youtube of Ghost Armor.
    Jesus i dont know. Ive used GA quite a few itmes and i know they dont have different options to choose from. Ill take it back today and ask them about it. Most of those guys there at the mall where i am are dicks too. Ohh and my receipts say no returns on CUSTOM CUTS.,.....Gee, would have bee helpful if i knew that in the first place LO(L
    I'm using Halo clear screen protectors. Its as good as any other protector I've used. They are BY FAR the best value at $6 for 3 and I've tried a ton of different protectors in the past. I can't tell that its applied except that the screen is relatively fingerprint resistant.

They attach via static cling. They appear to be essentially the same as Seido or Steinheil protectors which I've used in the past. In fact, all of these static-typed protectors seem to be pretty much the same. I had a generic one on my OG Droid for 2 years with only miniscule scratches developing.

I find static typed protectors to be much easier to install as they tend to be stiffer, so you can hold them via the edges while applying. Bubbles come out with just a bit of pressure and its easy to remove dust with two pieces of scotch tape (one piece to pick up the protector and one to grab the dust underneath). You really shouldn't have dust issues if you install in the bathroom after a hot shower anyway.

I tried ZAGG on the Rezound and I hated it because of the orange peel, tacky feel and pain in the butt installation. There were subtle finger prints underneath the screen where I had to hold it during the install even after I washed my hands 3 times and wet my fingers with the install solution first. A fleck of dust under it was also there for good. You can't really re-apply ZAGGs since they stretch when you take them off and don't fit as well when you put them back. They're also way too expensive, IMO. For the cost of shipping one back to ZAGG to get a refund, you can almost buy 3 Halos.
    I scratched my rezound the day I got it and since have been trying to find a good screen protector for it. I came from two phones both containing gorilla glass and never had to think much about screen protectors so this was a new territory for me. I thought I could just use the protector that came with my Otterbox commuter and all would be good. Well never having applied a screen protector before I found out what a nightmare dust can be. I couldnt stand the bubbles from the dust and removed it out of frustration. I then went down to my local verizon store and purchased a 3 pack of the VZW Rezound screen protectors - clear. It took 3 tries but eventually I managed to get one on that had 0 bubbles from dust and all was good.

I was proud of my newly installed screen protector ( note I killed 3 trying to install them not knowing what I was doing ) and slid my phone into my pocket knowing now I did not have to worry. One day later I look down at my phone and there are scratches all over the screen protector and two very large smudges which are called "burn" marks I think. All these frustrations was honestly making me hate my phone. I never had to worry about stupid scratches before and I started using my work phone over my personal just because of this. I looked around this forum and decided to give the Realook Crystal Clear's a try.

I received my Realook's two days ago and immediately removed my burned VZW protector so I could install my new one. Installation was a nightmare. I read that using tape can really help in removing dust and reapplying the protector incase you don't place it just right. Realook recognized the installation difficulty and actually gives you two pieces of tape in the package for such a situation. It took me probably about 20-30 minutes to get the screen protector sized just right on the Rezounds screen. If it's off just the slightest bit (because of its tight fit) then the edges will bubble up and there is no way to make it lie completely flush against the screen. After using my provided tape 10+ times to re align the protector I finally found the perfect fit.... but I had about 8 pieces of dust under my protector. Using the two pieces of tape, pulling back the protector slightly and using the second piece of tape to remove the dust made the installation finally perfect.

In the end I highly recommend the Realook Crystal Clear. The touch is much smoother than the VZW protectors and is pretty comparible to glass. You can't tell the protector is there at all on my Rezound, and after two days of work in my pocket, it still has 0 scratches or burn marks. Installation is a pita but my piece of mind with my phone has made it my daily go to phone again :D