How To Repair HTC One X Screen

Search This thread

reeson.nz

Sep 2, 2012
cost of repair by provider in sweden 420 US dollars.

Excellent! I took mine to my local service center but I need to wait 3 weeks for it to arrive. I will keep your links handy just in case. The first 2 look original indeed which is also reflected in the price.

Good luck and keep us posted on the end result!!!

'wow yer there seams to be a sea of fake replacement screens out there... i just cant trust ebay... i have the same problem here in sweden. my provider wanted 420 US dollars to fix my screen... i got a replacement from repairsuniverse.com a week ago for 100 US and its rubbish...

Dave Trouser

Feb 21, 2010
Been trying for ages to get a legitimate One X screen. I broke mine months ago, and every single replacement screen on offer has been hand-assembled rubbish.

The genuine One X screen digitizer is bonded to the LCD across the entire display area, and CANNOT be removed. They are assembled by machine at the factory.

"Fake" screens: Although they may use genuine LCDs and digitizers, they are not bonded together (except around the edges), with an air gap between them. Applying even moderate pressure to the screen will result in the contact point between the two surfaces becoming visible as a sort of "reverse bubble". When that happens, it often sticks and prevents the touch-screen working. This can happen just by having the phone in your pocket.

HTC are terrible, as they won't give a quote for a replacement screen unless I send them the phone first. If I do not like the quote, they charge £30 to send my own phone back.

However, after speaking to O2, they send phones for repair to HTC, but do not charge the ridiculous ransom to get the phone back if I decide I do not like their quote.

I'd recommend any of you with a broken screen to get it done properly - via your service provider if you're on a contract, or direct with HTC if you bought the phone outright.

I've spent months without my One X now, and the repair centre I use has tried multiple sources, and a total of 7 screens. Really wasn't worth it.

Kenia1234

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2008
Been trying for ages to get a legitimate One X screen. I broke mine months ago, and every single replacement screen on offer has been hand-assembled rubbish.

The genuine One X screen digitizer is bonded to the LCD across the entire display area, and CANNOT be removed. They are assembled by machine at the factory.

"Fake" screens: Although they may use genuine LCDs and digitizers, they are not bonded together (except around the edges), with an air gap between them. Applying even moderate pressure to the screen will result in the contact point between the two surfaces becoming visible as a sort of "reverse bubble". When that happens, it often sticks and prevents the touch-screen working. This can happen just by having the phone in your pocket.

HTC are terrible, as they won't give a quote for a replacement screen unless I send them the phone first. If I do not like the quote, they charge £30 to send my own phone back.

However, after speaking to O2, they send phones for repair to HTC, but do not charge the ridiculous ransom to get the phone back if I decide I do not like their quote.

I'd recommend any of you with a broken screen to get it done properly - via your service provider if you're on a contract, or direct with HTC if you bought the phone outright.

I've spent months without my One X now, and the repair centre I use has tried multiple sources, and a total of 7 screens. Really wasn't worth it.

These are really like horror story!! :( I'm sorry and afraid at hearing that!
I just hope that this time they sent to me an original unit!! To be honest I don't care that much about wether it's new or used so it might be a piece derived from a broken One X and I do hope so!!
As soon as I get the object I will let you know!
If it's not original or not working this time I'm gonna take the piece from an HTC Repair Center!!
By the way, could anybody explain me how to do that in case that this last attempt will fail?
Thank you very much!

Garoto1973

Dec 29, 2010
Heredia, Costa Rica
'wow yer there seams to be a sea of fake replacement screens out there... i just cant trust ebay... i have the same problem here in sweden. my provider wanted 420 US dollars to fix my screen... i got a replacement from repairsuniverse.com a week ago for 100 US and its rubbish...

I believe my replacement screen wont be original either. This seems like an impossible game to play.

A friend of mine told me my credit card covers "accidental cellphone damage caused by a third party" and that he once got someone to "accidentally" bump him inside a supermarket while holding the phone which fell to the ground as a result of the shopping cart crash. He got a letter from the supermarket describing the incident and that was enough to get him a new phone. Not saying I am going to that just sharing the story. :cyclops:

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
If anybody is interested, I found that in the original unit, the reverse bubble effect does not show up at all..
so if you find that issue it means that your piece is not original!!
My broken LCD+digitizer did not present this issue even if the parts were separated...so it's not about the glue...it's about original gorilla glass and HTC screen or not!!
I will keep you up to date as soon as I get the spare part..

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
The screen for the international and AT&T version are the same except for the fact that they have a different logo in the front as far as I know...
However I successfully repaired my phone by myself...
The piece I bought was original HTC!
Now my phone is repaired and I M very happy with it...
Ps if you need any photo of my repaired phone just ask...

Inviato dal mio HTC One X

Garoto1973

Dec 29, 2010
Heredia, Costa Rica
The screen for the international and AT&T version are the same except for the fact that they have a different logo in the front as far as I know...

I wanna see the result!

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010

Glad to hear your repair went well!

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
Well, at first thank you repair universe for your guide! It was useful for me!
I repaired successfully my HTC One X and now it's great!

I'd like to share my experiences with you guys hoping that they'll be useful for you.
Replacing the screen ain't an easy thing as you can easily understand but if you are very patient and good at this kind of things, and you are going to follow this guide, you can try.
The most hard part was to find a good seller who can deliver you an Original HTC OEM product!
Infact, most of the seller will send you a chinese crap item that will break in 4/5 month of usage and it's far from being an authentical Gorilla Glass Screen! I went over 4 refunds before getting a genuine one.
The reliable seller that I found is express-homeshop, and you can visit it through the links that I've posted before; I believe that there are also some other shops where you can find authentical original screens..
However if you need to know the difference between a crap and an original one, the method to find out if your screen is original is :

1)the screen must be as dark as the original cracked one if it's off!!
2)you have to put a finger on the glass and another on the LCD panel and press. If it doesn't appear anything on the screen then it's original, otherwise you will get a "reverse bubble" effect which will turn on damaging the touch panel (crappy chinese products).
3)The original units have three backlights conductive paths made in plastic, located between the glass and the lcd panel, that will redirect your backlights to the right place (otherwise they'll be shifted of about 0,5cm from the capacitive button place)
4)The HTC logo on the top of the glass must be as tall as your cracked original screen (chinese's one is taller)
5)The crappy unit is slightly thicker than the original and as soon as you reassembly the phone you will do notice that!! the screen will be higher than the plastic and it will cause a different feel of the phone and an increased probability to break your screen.

with this method you should distinguish a good assembly from a crappy one! They are very different as you can notice!

I strongly suggest you to take an original piece (even if it costs a little bit more 90€ against 160€) because the difference is very very noticeable (I had both original and crappy).

Don't believe to sellers who tell you that "it's original" without sending you photos of the real product. You need the photos and my method to be sure to purchase an original unit.
And be sure that they will offer you a refund in case anything goes wrong!
In fact, most of the sellers don't even know that their product is not original!

I hope that this will be helpful for you unlucky people with broken screen like I was before! :)

Now I leave you some photos of my new amazing original screen next to my old cracked one! :)

Regards!

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 819

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
Hi, I'm looking for a replacement screen and someone help me identify if this screen is original or not on ebay??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200810150730?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619
Well...if the product corresponds exactely to the photo it is original.
But I won't be very sure of this unless I'd ask to the seller for real photos of the product. Especially considering that the price is very low for an original unit!
They may be illustrative photos that shows a very similar product but not quite the same! :)

Last edited:

rajbsn

Jun 15, 2007
Well...if the product corresponds exactely to the photo it is original.
But I won't be very sure of this unless I'd ask to the seller for real photos of the product. Especially considering that the price is very low for an original unit!
They may be illustrative photos that shows a very similar product but not quite the same! :)

Thanks!! I will check with the seller and let you all know

Reactions: Kenia1234
D

Deleted member 4847978

Screen won't work

I just finished the these steps to repair my One X after it's screen became cracked.

Unfortunately my screen now does not work at all.

I'm not quite sure what I have done wrong here. The notification light is working (flashing green at me, changes to red when charging), so I assume that the device is working and it's just the screen that isn't.

Any light on this?

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
I just finished the these steps to repair my One X after it's screen became cracked.

Unfortunately my screen now does not work at all.

I'm not quite sure what I have done wrong here. The notification light is working (flashing green at me, changes to red when charging), so I assume that the device is working and it's just the screen that isn't.

Any light on this?
Sorry...I don't understand...
Have you cracked your screen while placing it? Or it went all ok and you just don't have it on?
However it could be the connector of the LCD.
Make sure that it's correctly inserted and place a little piece of sticker on it.
Good luck!

D

Deleted member 4847978

Sorry...I don't understand...
Have you cracked your screen while placing it? Or it went all ok and you just don't have it on?
However it could be the connector of the LCD.
Make sure that it's correctly inserted and place a little piece of sticker on it.
Good luck!

Sorry I should have been clearer!

Yeah it was cracked beforehand and that was why I replaced it. And it all went okay but it just doesn't seem to be showing anything at all.

I guess it could be the connector, it's all snapped in right now so I'm going to have another shot at it when I get some more tools.

Thanks for your input!

Kenia1234

Dec 15, 2008
Sorry I should have been clearer!

Yeah it was cracked beforehand and that was why I replaced it. And it all went okay but it just doesn't seem to be showing anything at all.

I guess it could be the connector, it's all snapped in right now so I'm going to have another shot at it when I get some more tools.

Thanks for your input!
You're welcome...So I definitively confirm you that it may be related to the LCD connector...just try and let us know! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RepairsUniverse compiled a written repair guide to repair a damaged screen or other internal components on your HTC One X. This detailed take apart guide will walk you through each step on how to disassemble and replace the damaged parts on your One X.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC One X part(s):
    • HTC One X Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC One X LCD Screen Replacement

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Adhesive Strips (for touch screen repair)
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer

HTC One X Repair Guide:
    • First, use a safe open pry tool to begin releasing the back housing. Start at the bottom of the device and work your way around the edges, applying pressure to pop the case off. With all 3 sides released you can pull the device from the back cover. Be cautious as the battery is often adhered to the housing and will need to be removed with the rest of the device.
    • Once the back cover had been removed, we can now remove the small plastic housing located near the camera. Used Small Phillips screwdriver then remove the five (5) screws shown in red on figure 1.

htc-one-x-1a.jpg

Figure 1​

• There will be one (1) more small Phillips screws that will be located at the bottom of the motherboard, near the battery, that will need to be removed.
    • Start releasing all the connections located on the motherboard. Release the single pop connector and jaw connector located on the top of the motherboard (shown in orange in figure 1).
    • Release the power button flex cable and volume button flex cable from the housing. These will be lightly adhered to the housing (shown in green in figure 1).
    • You can now lightly lift the motherboard up, being careful as it is still attached with flex cables. The battery can also be swung out, revealing two (2) more connection on the skinny part of the motherboard. Release these two connections and remove the motherboard and battery from the device (shown in figure 2).

htc-one-x-2a.jpg

Figure 2​

• Use a heat gun or hair dryer to start warming the front of the screen assembly. Work around the outside edges of the screen on medium heat for about 45 seconds. This will soften the adhesive holding the screen assembly to the housing.
    • Once the screen is properly heated you can use a safe open pry tool to being lifting the screen assembly away from the housing. Be sure to lift both screens out at the same time.
    • After the screens are partially released, be sure the flex cables are fed through the housing. Remove the screen assembly.
    • Use the heat gun or hair dryer again to warm the seal between the touch screen and LCD screen. Use quick movements for about 30 seconds. Once this is complete, use a safe open pry tool to carefully separate the screens.
    • You can now replace the touch screen digitizer or LCD screen.

Reverse the instructions above to reassemble your phone.
    Thanks for the information. Very curious to know if this is really a original screen, if so I can order one for a friend of mine, who has a One X with a broken screen. Hopefully you can take some pictures once you installed it, I am especially interesed in the viewing angles of this screen.

Right screen fitted, it IS an original, fitted it, spot on!! Will put photos on when I can :good:

Viewing Angle Perfect!!

Link to photos below, unfortunetly cannot post links as I am a new user

w w w.d r o p b o x . c o m/sh/oq40am214eep0zj/RjTdlBGNH4/HTC%20One%20X%20Screen

Hope this helps everyone in sourcing a screen
    Well, at first thank you repair universe for your guide! It was useful for me!
    I repaired successfully my HTC One X and now it's great!

I'd like to share my experiences with you guys hoping that they'll be useful for you.
    Replacing the screen ain't an easy thing as you can easily understand but if you are very patient and good at this kind of things, and you are going to follow this guide, you can try.
    The most hard part was to find a good seller who can deliver you an Original HTC OEM product!
    Infact, most of the seller will send you a chinese crap item that will break in 4/5 month of usage and it's far from being an authentical Gorilla Glass Screen! I went over 4 refunds before getting a genuine one.
    The reliable seller that I found is express-homeshop, and you can visit it through the links that I've posted before; I believe that there are also some other shops where you can find authentical original screens..
    However if you need to know the difference between a crap and an original one, the method to find out if your screen is original is :

1)the screen must be as dark as the original cracked one if it's off!!
    2)you have to put a finger on the glass and another on the LCD panel and press. If it doesn't appear anything on the screen then it's original, otherwise you will get a "reverse bubble" effect which will turn on damaging the touch panel (crappy chinese products).
    3)The original units have three backlights conductive paths made in plastic, located between the glass and the lcd panel, that will redirect your backlights to the right place (otherwise they'll be shifted of about 0,5cm from the capacitive button place)
    4)The HTC logo on the top of the glass must be as tall as your cracked original screen (chinese's one is taller)
    5)The crappy unit is slightly thicker than the original and as soon as you reassembly the phone you will do notice that!! the screen will be higher than the plastic and it will cause a different feel of the phone and an increased probability to break your screen.

with this method you should distinguish a good assembly from a crappy one! They are very different as you can notice!

I strongly suggest you to take an original piece (even if it costs a little bit more 90€ against 160€) because the difference is very very noticeable (I had both original and crappy).

Don't believe to sellers who tell you that "it's original" without sending you photos of the real product. You need the photos and my method to be sure to purchase an original unit.
    And be sure that they will offer you a refund in case anything goes wrong!
    In fact, most of the sellers don't even know that their product is not original!

I hope that this will be helpful for you unlucky people with broken screen like I was before! :)

Now I leave you some photos of my new amazing original screen next to my old cracked one! :)

Regards!
    Yes this is possible. These screens are not fused together but held by adhesive. You will need to apply heat on the front touchscreen too loosen the adhesive. Good luck with the repair.

Glad to hear your repair went well!