[ROOT] Saferoot: Root for AT&T Galaxy S4 ZOOM SM-C105AUCUAMJ2_On 4.2.2 JB

Search This thread
For now simply follow the instructions and use the provided file download from the link posted below

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392009&postcount=1

I have personaly tested this method in full on My AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 ZOOM SM-C105AUCUAMJ2 (4.2.2 Jelly Bean)

although it should be safe to use on any AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 ZOOM running an android version prior to Kit-Kat

All Credit for this, "exellent completely safe", Root method goes to its creator k1mu
And please Know that it is only being shared with you via his explicit permission.

EDIT:

Q&A for [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for AT&T Galaxy S4 ZOOM SM-C105AUCUAMJ2_On 4.2.2 JB

Please if you are not on an AT&T Galaxy S4 ZOOM C-150a, Feel Free to Read
but Do not seek help,instruction, or any other type of advice by posting in this thread as it is hard enough to find information about a specific device when the said device does not have a dedicated forum. Thank You for your Understanding in this.

Last edited:
Reactions: anab2206
Hey @Phatboyj420, as far as converting a raw OTA file to Odin files, here's what I can tell you. The OTA file should be filename.cfg, i.e. a cfg file. Believe it or not, this can be manipulated like an archive (like zip or rar or tar) so open that cfg file in 7zip, WinRar, or whatever. You're going to want to extract the files like (I can't guarantee this a full list, just the ones I can remember) modem.bin, NON-HLOS.bin, boot.img, recovery.img, aboot.mbn, rpm.mbn, sbl1.mbn, sbl2.mbn, sbl3.mbn (you might not have all 3, idk), and tz.mbn. Again, there may be others you need, and/or not all the ones I just listed might be necessary, they're just the ones I remember dealing with before. Oh, you're going to need to make sure the system, cache, and persdata partitions are all packed into .img.ext4 files, idk if they're like that in the OTA cfg archive.

Here's where it gets even hazier for me. So, I know from personal experience that you can take any of these files (I'll just use recovery.img for this example). In a linux terminal (I use Ubuntu for convenience's sake, my laptop has windows and ubuntu partitions) run this command:
Code:
tar -H ustar -c recovery.img > recovery.tar
So that's how you can take any one of those files I mentioned last paragraph and pack it into an Odin-flashable tar. I'm still a n00b when it comes to the linux terminal, so I can't really say the syntax for packing more than one at once.

So I guess I haven't really given you the complete process, but hopefully this is at least a decent starting point. Honestly I consider myself a hobbyist at best, not an expert. muniz_ri, who Devo7v mentioned earlier, did all the heavy work in this regard so he can probably help you much more, I just didn't want to volunteer him for the job

Hey @Phatboyj420, as far as converting a raw OTA file to Odin files, here's what I can tell you. The OTA file should be filename.cfg, i.e. a cfg file. Believe it or not, this can be manipulated like an archive (like zip or rar or tar) so open that cfg file in 7zip, WinRar, or whatever. You're going to want to extract the files like (I can't guarantee this a full list, just the ones I can remember) modem.bin, NON-HLOS.bin, boot.img, recovery.img, aboot.mbn, rpm.mbn, sbl1.mbn, sbl2.mbn, sbl3.mbn (you might not have all 3, idk), and tz.mbn. Again, there may be others you need, and/or not all the ones I just listed might be necessary, they're just the ones I remember dealing with before. Oh, you're going to need to make sure the system, cache, and persdata partitions are all packed into .img.ext4 files, idk if they're like that in the OTA cfg archive.

Here's where it gets even hazier for me. So, I know from personal experience that you can take any of these files (I'll just use recovery.img for this example). In a linux terminal (I use Ubuntu for convenience's sake, my laptop has windows and ubuntu partitions) run this command:
Code:
tar -H ustar -c recovery.img > recovery.tar
So that's how you can take any one of those files I mentioned last paragraph and pack it into an Odin-flashable tar. I'm still a n00b when it comes to the linux terminal, so I can't really say the syntax for packing more than one at once.

So I guess I haven't really given you the complete process, but hopefully this is at least a decent starting point. Honestly I consider myself a hobbyist at best, not an expert. muniz_ri, who Devo7v mentioned earlier, did all the heavy work in this regard so he can probably help you much more, I just didn't want to volunteer him for the job

Thanks My guy,

This definately gives me a good jumping off point.

The phone shipped with JB-4.2.2 and I think there has been an AT&T OTA for KK so it would have to be a complete Firmware so thats good news.

I'm working on several projects at once so I don't know exactly when I'll get to this but when I do the first thing will be to verify whether the .img's for data/system/cache are img.ext4 or not and if not how to produce correctly.

Also I don't have a Linux Dev setup yet I'm running Windows On a 2011 Dell XPS-17_L702x with an intel 2720 quad core. So from your post I take it Ubuntu would be your suggestion for Linux Distro. and should I make a separate Linux Partition and run from it, or run from a VM-Box inside of windows? Which do you think would be most efficient?

Now that I think of it I'm going to start a dedicated thread for development discussion for this specific device. If I start the thread in the Development section for the general S$-ZOOM but title it specifically for the " AT&T-C105a_ZOOM " do you think the mods would want to move it to the general Q&A section?
" I would hope that, as it would pertain directly to the development of the specific device they would see fit to leave it in the development section.

Sorry for the randomness of my thoughts but I will link you to the thread when I get around to starting on it.

For now I'm going to get back to work on the S4_Active for My daughters B-day I intend to have it Rooted and rommed out for her. When I get that done I'll make my way back to this Project, and start the dedicated thread.

Thanks again,
" I look forward to future collaboration as it seem we share a similar Hobie at the least ",
Phatboyj

capt_planit

Apr 6, 2016
Unfortunately for the few lonely SM-C105a users still hanging on out there this does not appear to be a completely effective root. I get this in dmesg: <3>[ 2130.920856] c0 Restricted changing UID. PID = 11580(su) PPID = 11575(sh)

Unfortunately for the few lonely SM-C105a users still hanging on out there this does not appear to be a completely effective root. I get this in dmesg: <3>[ 2130.920856] c0 Restricted changing UID. PID = 11580(su) PPID = 11575(sh)

:confused:
What is your build # because this is a fully effective root method for the ATT SM-C105a running build# SM-C105AUCUAMJ2

Please elaborate on where your dmesg is coming from.
Is it from running Saferoot to obtain Root?
Or is it from some other function you are attempting after obtaining root?

Last edited:
Reactions: capt_planit

capt_planit

Apr 6, 2016
@Phatboyj420 Great to see you here--when I'm sure your S4 Zoom is long gone. Yeah, that's my build and I should point out that I get that in dmesg only for certain operations in the system folder (trying to copy modules I think). No biggie, for day to day this method works fine. I'm more interested in whatever happened with that unbrick image you were trying to make from dd. Did you ever test it? Was it effective? My current efforts are focused on developing a reliable unbrick method for our phones. Rather than the complete image I think we may need to extract and flash the original bootloader in many cases. Can you provide any feedback on this?

@Phatboyj420 Great to see you here--when I'm sure your S4 Zoom is long gone. Yeah, that's my build and I should point out that I get that in dmesg only for certain operations in the system folder (trying to copy modules I think). No biggie, for day to day this method works fine. I'm more interested in whatever happened with that unbrick image you were trying to make from dd. Did you ever test it? Was it effective? My current efforts are focused on developing a reliable unbrick method for our phones. Rather than the complete image I think we may need to extract and flash the original bootloader in many cases. Can you provide any feedback on this?

@ capt_planit
while I have moved on from using my AT@T S4-Zoom, I do still have it and the dd dumps of it the problem with providing said dumps publicly is that some "idiot would inevitably flash the complete dd.image to there phone giving them an exact clone of my phone explicitly the IMEI via EFS parition are my concerns.
That being said if I know that the dd.images were to be used in a proper manner, by say a knowledgeable Dev. I would gladly supply them to further /Kickoff Development,

It sounds as if we are of like mind but I found myself at a stand still and did not recieve any response from the plea in my Sig.

But rest assured if there is something I can do to assist I will.

as far as an unbrick.img for the Zoom c105a
I did make one but have had no reason to use it to know if it works or if the SD unbrick method even works for the Zoom like it does on the Galaxy S3 that the method was originally discovered on.

Even if it does work the SD-Unbrick method only gets you to a state where Download
mode works SO unless I am mistaken and you can access adb through Download Mode witch I'm pretty sure you cant, we would still be at a stand still as there is no stock firmware publicly available for our device " Ludacris I know " but true none the less.

Edit:

1 thing we need is the OTA update from JB to KitKat available for our device we need some one to extract it before updating then and only then might we be able to create an install-able firmware for our device.

if I'm not mistaken after you download the OTA update you should be able to find it in /cache/fota just zip the entire fota folder move it to your sd-card and make it available to me and we'll make it happen from there.

If you don't want to except the update just delete it at this point and reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: capt_planit

capt_planit

Apr 6, 2016
I think this user @awwar describes an inability to access download mode>here. In anycase, I think that thread would be a great place to post your unbrick. image. I think your dd image seems too small. But if you still have it, that is what @moomoo was asking for when he started that thread. I can't provide mine, except as separate img files. My understanding is that flashing an efs image won't provide a real IMEI. I think flashing some combination of boot, system, cache (I'm surprised this would be necessary) and recovery should get the operator some kind of system. But so far it doesn't seem to work that way. Your help getting some working phone flash would be greatly appreciated. I believe, BTW that the OTA is dead...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For now simply follow the instructions and use the provided file download from the link posted below

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392009&postcount=1

I have personaly tested this method in full on My AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 ZOOM SM-C105AUCUAMJ2 (4.2.2 Jelly Bean)

although it should be safe to use on any AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 ZOOM running an android version prior to Kit-Kat

All Credit for this, "exellent completely safe", Root method goes to its creator k1mu
    And please Know that it is only being shared with you via his explicit permission.

EDIT:

Q&A for [ROOT] Saferoot: Root for AT&T Galaxy S4 ZOOM SM-C105AUCUAMJ2_On 4.2.2 JB

Please if you are not on an AT&T Galaxy S4 ZOOM C-150a, Feel Free to Read
    but Do not seek help,instruction, or any other type of advice by posting in this thread as it is hard enough to find information about a specific device when the said device does not have a dedicated forum. Thank You for your Understanding in this.
    Will this same method also work on the SM-C105AUCUAMJ2?

Most Definitely as this was the reason for my post

:confused:
    What is your build # because this is a fully effective root method for the ATT SM-C105a running build# SM-C105AUCUAMJ2

Please elaborate on where your dmesg is coming from.
    Is it from running Saferoot to obtain Root?
    Or is it from some other function you are attempting after obtaining root?

@ capt_planit
    while I have moved on from using my AT@T S4-Zoom, I do still have it and the dd dumps of it the problem with providing said dumps publicly is that some "idiot would inevitably flash the complete dd.image to there phone giving them an exact clone of my phone explicitly the IMEI via EFS parition are my concerns.
    That being said if I know that the dd.images were to be used in a proper manner, by say a knowledgeable Dev. I would gladly supply them to further /Kickoff Development,

It sounds as if we are of like mind but I found myself at a stand still and did not recieve any response from the plea in my Sig.

But rest assured if there is something I can do to assist I will.

as far as an unbrick.img for the Zoom c105a
    I did make one but have had no reason to use it to know if it works or if the SD unbrick method even works for the Zoom like it does on the Galaxy S3 that the method was originally discovered on.

Even if it does work the SD-Unbrick method only gets you to a state where Download
    mode works SO unless I am mistaken and you can access adb through Download Mode witch I'm pretty sure you cant, we would still be at a stand still as there is no stock firmware publicly available for our device " Ludacris I know " but true none the less.

Edit:

1 thing we need is the OTA update from JB to KitKat available for our device we need some one to extract it before updating then and only then might we be able to create an install-able firmware for our device.

if I'm not mistaken after you download the OTA update you should be able to find it in /cache/fota just zip the entire fota folder move it to your sd-card and make it available to me and we'll make it happen from there.

If you don't want to except the update just delete it at this point and reboot.