Root without SU app?

Search This thread

tawheed12

Apr 30, 2012
Edmonton, AB
I just rooted using towel root. Planning on staying stock just needed to make one modification. Everything is perfect including knox and flash counter. Is it okay to keep the phone rooted without having the SU app installed?

If I install supersu will it trip my flash counter? If I use it to unroot will it trip?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
Some questions are asked over and over. Which is why we can tell that you didn't do a search or take ten minutes to read a few threads - you couldn't have avoided finding the answers if you had. You'd also have gotten a quicker answer if you had tried searching.

Super SU won't increment Knox by itself. The flash counter per se can be reset. It's a widely respected and robust app and you didn't give any specific reason why you wouldn't want to use it. If you remove Super SU without manually adding more cumbersome alternatives, you won't be rooted anymore. If it is your intention to remove root, then go ahead. If you want to remain rooted, then you should do some reading as it would seem that you don't understand what Super SU does.

tawheed12

Apr 30, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Some questions are asked over and over. Which is why we can tell that you didn't do a search or take ten minutes to read a few threads - you couldn't have avoided finding the answers if you had. You'd also have gotten a quicker answer if you had tried searching.

Super SU won't increment Knox by itself. The flash counter per se can be reset. It's a widely respected and robust app and you didn't give any specific reason why you wouldn't want to use it. If you remove Super SU without manually adding more cumbersome alternatives, you won't be rooted anymore. If it is your intention to remove root, then go ahead. If you want to remain rooted, then you should do some reading as it would seem that you don't understand what Super SU does.

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually Googled and read through the few rooting threads I found but couldn't find the answer for this specific question. Towelroot rooted the phone and supersu was not installed. I don't want to increase flash counter or have custom status as I want to continue to receive OTA updates. I only rooted to access a sql dB which I needed to modify.

I was never under the impression that SU will trip knox, I was wondering if it would trip my flash counter. Also, my question was based more on security. If I don't have supersu to allow root access I would assume any app can get it and would that be a security issue?

Last edited:

fffft

Jul 16, 2013
In might be a theoretical advantage to not be rooted. But you loose a lot of functionality for that security "gain". Pragmatically though there have been plenty of malware exploits that can root your device as part of their incursion. So it's hard to believe that you are gaining much security by avoiding root on your handset.

Your device will never be completely secure. Most of your risk is removed if you make a best effort to only use apps from legitimate sources and apply security updates. If you are keen you can also install a antimalware app like lookout or configure iptables.

tawheed12

Apr 30, 2012
Edmonton, AB
In might be a theoretical advantage to not be rooted. But you loose a lot of functionality for that security "gain". Pragmatically though there have been plenty of malware exploits that can root your device as part of their incursion. So it's hard to believe that you are gaining much security by avoiding root on your handset.

Your device will never be completely secure. Most of your risk is removed if you make a best effort to only use apps from legitimate sources and apply security updates. If you are keen you can also install a antimalware app like lookout or configure iptables.

Agree 100%. Hence my concern about being rooted currently and not having SuperSU installed to control what apps can gain and use root access. Installation of SuperSU was a byproduct of every other root method I've used and thus I was concerned about having rooted with towelroot and not having SuperSU installed.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Agree 100%. Hence my concern about being rooted currently and not having SuperSU installed to control what apps can gain and use root access. Installation of SuperSU was a byproduct of every other root method I've used and thus I was concerned about having rooted with towelroot and not having SuperSU installed.

If you choose to root your phone you should forget about OTA`s imo as this causes only issues in most cases and the loss of root. Disable/uninstall or freeze all system apps regarding OTA`s and flash an updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll keep root ;) BTW rooting has so much more advantages like AdAway adblocker, freezing all the unused Samsung apps/widgets, backup and restoring of apps with TB etc etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sepero

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you choose to root your phone you should forget about OTA`s imo as this causes only issues in most cases and the loss of root. Disable/uninstall or freeze all system apps regarding OTA`s and flash an updated rom with Mobile Odin Pro and you`ll keep root ;) BTW rooting has so much more advantages like AdAway adblocker, freezing all the unused Samsung apps/widgets, backup and restoring of apps with TB etc etc.
    You dont need SuperSU for root. Its on a handler for it. It stops malware accessing root without your notice....