[GUIDE] Step-by-step instructions for debranding and HSPL for AT&T Titans

Search This thread

iamwin

Sep 21, 2006
This worked perfectly for me after getting a Dynex MicroSD/SD reader @ Best Buy. I was using a Sony SD reader that didn't work (maybe because its SD + Memory Stick), but trying the Dynex worked.

I had a few little niggles. After the flashes were done off the goldcard, it did not reboot at all. Just said "Update Completed" and sat there. I had to manually reboot. Also, after flashing the DFT SPL, the versions did not change after the first reboot. I had to then reboot into the OS, then reboot into SPL for the new 2.5.xxx.xxx version to show. Then the HSPL worked fine, except I had to RE-Flash the DFT bootloader to get it to boot into the OS again.

After that, in order to flash any other ROM, I couldn't use RUU, as it just simply wouldn't connect. I had to rename the new ROM (in this case the Nokia modded one) to ETERIMG and redo the goldcard flash again. In the end, it worked out fine. Thanks for the tips and your hard work!

nice guide, though a bit confusing. still this will help many who cannot debrand their titans :) thanks for this :)

pbp8ntballer

Aug 9, 2010
Bloomsburg
nice guide, though a bit confusing. still this will help many who cannot debrand their titans :) thanks for this :)

Whenever I get the time, I'll do a clean up on the guide so it's a bit more easier to comprehend...although, I cannot entirely change up the method steps; unfortunately, this is what we're stuck with until a more easier method is introduced.

Reactions: iamwin

pbp8ntballer

Aug 9, 2010
Bloomsburg
im stuck in 2.5 no way to go back no way i can install the eu rom to get spanish in it.

Nope, if you flashed DFT'S custom SPL 2.5 BEFORE debranding the phone to an European rom, then you are stuck. DO NOT ATTEMPT to flash a European rom at this point, as it's been reported to me that you may risk a very real chance at bricking your device.

Unfortunately, you are faced with two options here: wait for DFT to release a fix or wait it out for a new phone. Sorry =/

rylovengeance

Feb 19, 2010
friends and create my gold card install remote loading I get says other things restarts and returns to be in USB mode and does nothing but reboot and I get so spl is spl 2.5 but the problem is when q command to install the HSPL q tells me is installed perfectly but when it restart and put it in mode q spl again tells me this HSPL installed 2.5 but does not tell me anything under no bone or serial or uSB aparese and connect to the pc and not reconose someone this happened to you ..?

did you ever find a fix for this? i have the same problem

threeclaws

Mar 7, 2006
California
Looks like I'm screwed until DFT releases a fix and from my experience with the HD2 I might as well just get a different phone. A warning to others with ATT Titans, there is a very good chance that you won't get HSPL to flash and you will be stuck with a phone that at best can't access the marketplace and at worse is stuck at SPL, there are pages of people in the DFT thread with this issue and really it just isn't worth messing around with this yet if you have an ATT branded device.

someeh

Aug 21, 2008
Bronx,NY
Okay, I bought a AT&T titan yesterday. It is unlocked (t-mobile user). I was looking at the SPL which is at version 1.6. Do I need to use the DFT rom to get to spl 2.5 bypassing the initial use of the goldcard? I know I'll need the goldcard to install HSPL, correct?

Last edited:

someeh

Aug 21, 2008
Bronx,NY
I get a debug error when I had the custom goldcard img into the goldcard maker. The link that is posted at the 1st page for the goldcard image is suppose to be "my custom img"?.

malvo26

May 21, 2012
Guayaquil
I get a debug error when I had the custom goldcard img into the goldcard maker. The link that is posted at the 1st page for the goldcard image is suppose to be "my custom img"?.

That image is the one you need. Download it and put it in the same folder as the goldcard tool. Don't forget to first install the European rom first before installing SPL otherwise you will be stuck with 2.5.

someeh

Aug 21, 2008
Bronx,NY
That image is the one you need. Download it and put it in the same folder as the goldcard tool. Don't forget to first install the European rom first before installing SPL otherwise you will be stuck with 2.5.

Okay, I have it. Thanks! I assume you should see a progress bar when flashing to the Euro rom, correct?

Last edited:

someeh

Aug 21, 2008
Bronx,NY
Has anyone tried flashing the Euro ROm via the update utility? this goldcard process and getting the right parts is just retarded..

UPDATE!! I successfully flashed my Titan and HSPL. I redid my Y-cable and used a PNY USB flash drive.

Last edited:

rgencarn

Oct 4, 2010
Denver, CO
Has anyone tried flashing the Euro ROm via the update utility? this goldcard process and getting the right parts is just retarded..

UPDATE!! I successfully flashed my Titan and HSPL. I redid my Y-cable and used a PNY USB flash drive.
Hey someeh.

What's your phone looking like now? Are you getting Internet Sharing working? Are you getting faster data connection?

tzones

Jun 13, 2009
BayArea
Hi,
I have flashed my titan with SPL directly before flashing the Euro ROM and my phone is stuck at SPL 2.5. The main reason I bought the titan to unlock it so as to take advantages of some of the nokia apps. I hope a fix for this would be made available soon and hopefully developers/admins are looking into it.

thanks again for all the hardwork being done,
TZ

nikola92

Oct 25, 2010
Novi Sad
i have by some miracle, titan x310e, it says on top at&t its sim free, SPL 2.5 now, how do i know is the phone debranded, what rom is on it EU or US, what is the smartest move?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ATTENTION: Due to the lack of time, to which I sincerely apologize for, I am no longer able to maintain this guide. Also, I am no longer answering PMs in reference to help with this guide. I apologize, but life's a little hectic for me at the moment. Thank you all that have read my guide and if you would like to take over for this guide and update it, please PM me. Thank you!!

Hello everyone! Figured I'd put together a step-by-step guide for those trying to figure out how to install HSPL and roms onto their AT&T branded HTC Titans.

************STOP AND PLEASE READ BEFORE PROCEEDING************​

• You are currently required to debrand your phone. DO NOT continue further with this guide if you do not wish to remove your AT&T branding.
    • This guide is NOT for the HTC Titan II. There is currently, to my knowledge, no way in being able to install HSPL on the Titan II as of this time. So please, do not even attempt to go through with this guide with your Titan II. Not only will it not work, but you never know if doing so will damage your phone.
    • ***For the record, you CANNOT hold me nor those credited below responsible for any mishaps and/or catastrophic failures with your phone. Not even when T-800s start to emerge from your phone! You are following this guide at your own free will and discretion, and as such, it is your own responsibility if you break your phone. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE: read this guide slowly and carefully. Read it through several times, just so you are absolutely sure you understand the instructions. If you feel as though you're not entirely sure what to do on this guide, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER. Instead, you may post your question down below and I'll try to answer it as best as I can. But I cannot guarantee you an answer nor any help in general. You have been warned.***

************Continuing with this guide means you've understood the warnings and accept all responsibility for your actions************​

Pre-installation notes: Due to how the process is still somewhat finicky at best, this guide is NOT guaranteed to work. Also, you have no choice at this time besides having to make a goldcard. There's just no other way.

Also, as listed in DFT's thread: Only Titan phones that have the following MIDs will work: " 'PI39****", 'PI391100', "PI391000' " Also, they've posted an issue about not updating to 4.xx.xxxx.xx roms, as there is an issue with this. Please thoroughly read the thread before proceeding: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1684912

However, if you do follow the guide properly and with a little lady luck on your side, this guide should help you debrand your Titan, as well as install HSPL on it. If I am missing anything about this guide, please inform as soon as possible, as so I can update this guide accordingly and credit you.

Also, for those looking for a more visual aid, please view Budniu's video on downgrading SPL's and using the goldcard method down below past the written instructions. If they helped you, please thank him!!

Requirements:

Hardware:
    -Y-USB cable. I actually made my own easily. I'll post pictures in the following post on how to make your own without soldering.
    -1 or 2 gb SD or microSD card. To my experience and knowledge, SDHC and SDXC cards DO NOT work. I wasted money figuring that out the hard way. The way it worked for me was with a 2gb microSD card from Sony that came with the SD card adapter.
    -SD card reader, preferably a single-SD card port on it. In my experience, I tried two multi-card readers with no avail. I purchased a regular SD card reader and it worked wonders.
    -Optional: Flash drive*

*This is optional, due to the fact that I never had any luck in using a flash drive as my gold card. It may or may not work for you, but the chances of it not working are higher than getting an SD card that won't work. At least, that's just how my experience with this went.

Software (links provided below):
    -HTC Eternity EU official rom 1.09.401.02, link will be provided once upload is complete. File size is 410 mb, so be forewarned.
    -Goldcard maker
    -Goldcard image
    -DFT's HSPL
    -Optional: HTC Eternity Cingular rom & RUU*

*There is a possibility trying to debrand the phone without downgrading your SPL first may or may not work. When in doubt, it would be better to first flash this image first on your phone before proceeding any further. If your SPL is 1.10.xxxx.xx or lower, you may skip this process.
    UPDATE: As found by XDA member Prerna, you do not need to downgrade with a stock Cingular rom prior to flashing a stock Euro rom. Thank you!
    UPDATE #2According to both members from different threads, as well as those that have contacted me about this, you are no longer able to download the European rom from its original location. I have thus uploaded it via DropBox, and a link to the download has been provided below. Thank you for notifying me!

*Update*: I forgot to add this, which may account to the gold-card method not working out for you, but you must change the name of the rom you are putting on the SD card BEFORE you make it a goldcard to "ETERIMG.nbh". Otherwise, the phone will most likely not be able to read the .nbh file. Sorry for this!!

Instructions for debranding:

I. Backup anything you don't want to lose from your phone. This process will delete everything.

II. Step Two has been removed as it is now a unnecessary step in this process as noted above.

III. Create your goldcard and debrand your phone:

Note: As mentioned by Prerna, he noted that a manual reboot after using the goldcard method was required. In my case, my phone rebooted on its own; perhaps this may have been just a fluke, I'm not entirely sure. However, based on how sure he was about this, I would then like to add that it is more than likely that you are required to reboot the phone from USB host mode manually to the SPL screen after flashing.

• i. Insert your SD card into your card reader and plug into your computer. If you're using a flash drive, just follow this guide the same way.

[*]ii. Once your memory shows up completely, go to "My Computer", right click on where your SD will be shown, and click on "format". Make sure that under "File System" says "FAT32" and under"Allocation unit size" is "4096". IT CANNOT BE ANYTHING ELSE. Whether or not these settings were enabled, select "Start", only if "Quick Format" is selected. Once it completes formatting, time to find your downloaded goldcard maker.

[*]iii. Open up the goldcard maker by right-click, select "Run as Administrator". When it opens, make sure your SD card appears in the drop-down box next to "HTC MMC:".

[*]iv. Ignoring the top portion with the CID options, go down to where it says "Load GoldCard.img". Wherever you downloaded the goldcard image, select it and click "open".

[*]v. Click on "Patch MMC" and wait for it to complete. The debug log window will let you know whether or not your card was successfully completed.

[*]vi. Once you successfully made your goldcard, you will then drag and drop the .nbh image file into the SD card. Once completed, safely eject your SD card and reader.

[*]vii. Next, plug the reader with the card into one of the female ends of your y-cable (assuming you either purchased one with a female end on it or you followed my guide below). With the power-only male end of your cable, plug that either into a wall charger or into your pc (preferably a back port if on a desktop).

[*]viii. Next, you want to power off your phone, give it a kiss, and boot it into USB-Host mode. The way I did this was while holding the Volume-Down button and the Camera button, I plugged my micro-usb end into the phone, while the micro-usb cord was plug into my y-usb cable. This will make the phone boot on its own and into USB-Host mode.

[*]ix. If you did the following correctly, your phone will display "Entering USB-Host mode..." momentarily, before switching to a "loading" screen. You should hopefully then see the phone reading the image file on the SD card and performing the debranding. Your phone will reboot one or two times back into USB mode.

[*]x. If the debranding was a success, your phone *will reboot back into SPL mode with the update rom version*. In my case, I rebooted my phone back to normal instead. If the startup screen says "HTC X310e", then the debranding is a success.

*As mentioned above, it is more than likely that the phone WILL NOT reboot back to SPL mode on its own. In my experience, it did. Either way, if your phone does not reboot back into SPL mode on its own, then simply reboot the phone back into SPL mode via Volume UP+DOWN+Power button.

IV. Goldcard part II:
    • i. After confirming that you DO now have an unbranded Titan, you will now proceed to redoing the gold card method once more. This time, however, you need to delete the .nbh image you placed on your card and place the one that can be found in the DFT .rar you downloaded earlier. To find it, simply extract the contents, navigate through >DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1>1_SPL205>TITAN>ETERIMG.nbh.
      [*]ii. Select this file and place it onto your goldcard (assuming you plugged it back into your computer properly (not attached to the y-cable) and deleted the previous ETERIMG.nbh file on it.
      [*]iii. Once it's on the SD card, remove it once again and follow steps "vi." through "viii." of the steps for the goldcard instructions, disregarding anything about it being debranded. This is only an upgrade flash.
      [*]iv. Once it reboots properly back into the SPL screen on its own**, make sure that the rom version has been updated to 2.5.xxxx.xx. If not, you may have done something wrong, and if you're able to, redo the process more carefully.

**Again, as mentioned above, I've been told that this isn't entirely true. It's more than likely that the phone will not reboot back into SPL mode after flashing. If it hasn't, manually reboot into SPL mode. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

V. HSPL
    • i. Once confirming you have 2.5.xxxx.xx on your SPL screen, you will now proceed to the final part: enabling HSPL. What you will need to do is navigate once more into "DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1" (the .rar file you downloaded from DFT), and go here: >DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1>2_HSPL>DFT_HSPL_WP7SG1_INSTALL.exe. Open the executable and properly read the instructions.
    • ii. Enter SPL once more on your phone and plug it into your computer, making sure that it says "usb" in black letters towards the bottom portion of the screen.
    • iii. Click next on the program and read careful about what requirements you will need on the computer. Typically, it should all be there, but it never hurts to make sure.
    • iv. Take a deep breath and click next. It will attempt to connect to the phone. If it succeeds, continue reading the instructions the program will display. If it does not work, recheck your wire connection and that you have spl 2.5.xxxx.xx on your device, and that it is in SPL mode.
    • v. Make sure you select the rom version that you have (it should be the only selection there, but just make sure it is before continuing). Select next once you've made your selection.
    • vi. It will install HSPL. Once completed, the phone may reboot itself back into SPL mode. If it has succeeded, underneath where it shows your rom version, it will either have "DFT" or "CotullaH" written there. Mine says "CotullaH".

VI. Finished!
    -If there's anything that I may have missed whilst writing this guide, please do not hesitate in leaving a reply in this thread. As you can see, it is somewhat long and complicated, and I wouldn't be surprised if I had forgotten to add something. So please, let me know so I can update this guide as well as give you credit. Thank you and congratulations if the guide worked!!

Visual aid provided by Budniu:

Post-installation notes: As stated above, this is NOT guaranteed to work. It had happened to work out for me quite well and figured that perhaps this may work for others as well.

Thanks notes: As I've been here for about a year or two but haven't really posted much, I don't entirely care whether or not I receive any thanks. But if this guide worked for you, then it would be mucho appreciated :) Also, you should thank those who I've credited down below for their contributions in making this guide possible for you guys. They deserve it 100%. Downloads are just past the credits. Happy flashing, everyone!!

Credits: The following people/teams are to be credited for their contributions to this guide as follows:

• -Team DFT > for creating this HSPL method possible for our Titans! :D
    • -MarysFetus > for his excellent guide on how to make and use a goldcard (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597837)
    • -Football > for providing the community with the original shipped Eternity roms
    • -jbowes > for his excellent guide on how to make your own y-usb cable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p10LgZFIawo
    • -Budniu > for providing an excellent video guide on how to install HSPL via goldcard method for WP7 phones.
    • -Prerna > For his findings and contributions to this guide!
    • - And anyone else I may have forgotten to mention. If so, please just leave a post below and I'll credit appropriately! :)

DOWNLOADS LINKS:
    -DFT HSPL and 2.05 SPL: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1684912
    -Goldcard maker & image: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1597837
    -Cingular Eternity Rom: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334468
    -European Eternity Rom: No longer uploading the file for some time, if I have the time, I'll upload it onto a storage website.
    Thank you! And I'm just glad someone liked it, that's all haha
    All the more glad to give you the first (+). :good:
    If you want you can add my movie to first post:
    We're talking about reformatting the Titan's internal drive; yes? Wouldn't a factory reset do the trick; I grant you it's not a task 29 like what can be done on the HD2 but has anybody tried a Task 29 on the Titan or is that highly improbable?

For SPL 2.5 MFG, you can use emmc*******, but it only works on some partition, it looks like other partitions are protected. here is the command list

Code:
    mb
    mh
    mw
    ram_test
    powertest
    powerdown
    eMMCRamStress
    ew
    eh
    eb
    lnb
    lr
    dumpnb
    changecid
    task
    stask
    info
    jump
    mddiw
    mddir
    i2cr
    i2cw
    i2c3r
    i2c3w
    EnableCam
    Setgpio
    Getgpio
    Setpmicgpio
    Getpmicgpio
    usbgo
    usbhostgo
    switchtousb
    eraseconfig
    writeconfig
    readconfig
    writesku
    readsku
    writeSN
    readSN
    midw
    midr
    checksum
    checkimage
    rtask
    qctmenu
    audio
    displaytest
    lsnrflashadcr
    lsnrflashadcw
    psnrflashadcr
    psnrflashadcw
    keypad
    TP_TEST_ATMEL
    loaddiag
    btrouter
    btaddr
    fmrouter
    btwritebda
    btreadbda
    emmcread
    emmcwrite
    emmcerase
    emmclistpartition
    emmcreadpartition
    emmcwritepartition
    emmcerasepartition
    emmcchecksum
    ruustart
    password BsaD5SeoA
    wdata
    ResetDevice
    progress
    getdevinfo
    blversion
    getimei
    waddr
    emapiTest
    emapiCountryID
    emapiWlanMac
    emapiFW
    emapiInit
    emapiChannel
    emapiRate
    emapinRate
    emapiCountry
    emapiTXpwr1
    emapiPkteng_start
    emapiPkteng_stop
    emapiOut
    emapiFqacurcy
    emapiCrsuprs
    emapiJoin
    emapiUp
    emapiMpc
    emapiCounters
    emapiVersion
    emapiScan
    emapiEtheraddr
    emapiDebug
    emapiReadCal
    emapiNvram
    eblog
    Stuck on SPL2.5.160015.3? HSPL is still achievable

but this means you are still stuck with that dreadful SPL (no HSPL). I thought you got HSPL from the other thread? I got the same thing as you by accident (letting it sit there for a while and it rebooted and it flashed the EURO rom :) ) I was about to post the discovery but I couldn't get HSPL so it was pointless.

This is not a perfect edited document. I will edit this document in the days ahead but I wanted to get this out after spending 4 nights in a row with this problem and reading every thread on here in regards to this problem. If...if...your SPL will not downgrade, it is not the end of the world. You may also think that seeing the words "Entering USB Host Mode" and staring at it for a solid 10 minutes is a failure it is not. I changed the flashable file names from ETERIMG to ETERDIAG and loaded them to a PNY 4GB thumb drive using the Gold Card method and it worked. I realize the following is long and somewhat wordy but I wanted to layout a realistic picture of what I did. The bottom line is you're not dead if you think you're stuck in SPL2.5 Hell. Forget RUU'g any of this, it's Gold card all the way; yes, HSPL must be done in bootloader mode and for the bazillionth time this process has zero to do with the HTC Titan II (Radiant).

HTC Titan I (Eternity) Guide to Common Sense Flashing

1. I said, the HTC Titan I, the Eternity!!! I did not say the HTC Titan II, the Radiant and/or the rumored HTC Titan III, the Zenith!!!

2. It is an illusion if any of you think that flashing anything via RUU will work until “the” last step which is HSPL; it’s a gold card all the way.

3. When I say, “ETERIMG” and “ETERDIAG” in regard to naming your gold card files; you will not add the following characters “.nbh” to the end of these file names; the files are downloaded in compressed format (as of this typing) from File Factory - http://www.filefactory.com/f/db553db625fe2273/ . They are either -

a. IMG_Eternity_HTC_Europe_1.09.401.02_Radio_16.23.02.09_A… (Double check your device's radio, it should be 16 at this stage)

or

b. IMG_Eternity_Cingular_US_1.10.502.04_Radio_16.23.02.26_...(Double check your device's radio, it should be 16 at this stage and yes, I said that twice !)

4. My success came with using a PNY 4GB USB (Flash or Thumb) Drive that comes in two to a set at Wal-Mart; they are red and dark blue in the pack; $12. My Y-cable was bought from Amazon.com. The red end supplies the power; it doesn’t matter whether you plug it end to your computer or to your cellphone’s USB power supply or directly into the outlet if you have so equipped one of your outlets courtesy of one that is wired directly into what use to be a wall outlet. The black end will require a USB Gender Change Adapter; they’re dirt cheap over at eBay or Amazon.com.

5. My Sun-Pak 72-in-1 is a multi-card reader and like the instructions located at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1744253 . I can confirm you’re wasting your time trying to use this with your Y-cable. I opted not to use it with copying my files to the thumb drive.

6. I did buy new a Nokia 1GB microSD which came with a SD adapter and a (black and red) plastic adapter that will plug directly into the USB 2.0 port on your computer. While it held up, it did work; however in the end I found the PNY thumb drive to be the easiest and the fastest to work with going between the computer and the Y-cable. Both the microSD with adapter and PNY thumb drive worked, my point the thumb drive is sturdier and more reliable in my fun this week.

7. Referring back to #3, I had success with both ROMs but not before my patience were severely tried. I own two Titan I (Eternity) devices. Initially, I successfully used the Cingular 1.10 ROM on one device. The filename throughout that process was “ETERIMG” (minus the quotes…7 characters, that’s it!)

8. My Gold Card came from the above web site in #5. You will “quick format” your microSD or thumb drive in FAT32 and 4096 cluster size. I named my card(s) “Goldcard”. You will use your computer’s Windows/File Explorer to do this. Once formatted you will not have to do so again; simply delete the file(s) through each stage of the process and copy them back.

9. I strongly suggest you take off whatever protects your device, you will be doing a lot of pulling the battery to power off/on your device; if you think your fingers can hit those tiny little buttons without your device shell, you’re a better person than me!

a. To “Entering USB Host Mode” – you will press down the Volume Down rocker and Camera button at the same time and while pressed down you will next put your finger on the power button and hold it there until the white screen displays and will immediately take your finger off the power button. You device will bring up the bootloader screen immediately followed by “Entering USB Host Mode.” The screen will be a grayish-white with blue letters.

b. To enter Bootloader where you will become intimate with the SPL – you will hold down the Volume Up/Down rocker together and you will next put your finger on the power button and hold it there until the white screen displays and will immediately remove your finger. You are in a world of hurt in what all of us affectionately call the “brick” if this page doesn’t load.

10. I do not need to remind y’all to charge your battery; this process takes way longer than flashing custom ROMs.

11. When those folks say read the instructions carefully, that’s exactly what they mean. As you enjoy this wonderful experience that once done you will never miss or do again, you will be introduce to this little word we call “patience.” You’re going to need a lot of patience and a supporting spouse if you're so blessed.

12. My first device went off without a hitch; my second device took 4 days of re-reading every thread, every little tidbit of advice throughout much of the WP7 pages regardless of device but NuttyBuddy turned me on to something I missed while I was enjoying a string of strike outs – ETERDIAG (8 characters…that’s it). My devices gave me two entirely different experiences but in the end, solvable; your situation may require you to rename your files like mine, but stay with the pattern through steps 1 and 2 of the goldcard joy and jollies.

13. Like many, my SPL refused to downgrade. Forget HTC’s update SPL2.6! I read threads where there were discussion about why it mattered or didn't mattered. It occurred to me the problem was not the SPL steadfastly not budging; it was whether my device at initial OS startup read HTC Titan x310e or for four days read HTC Titan P139100 and once I got x310e the next step was did it matter if it read SPL2.5 and not 1.09 or 1.10. Later it would not matter.

14. I retraced all my steps and following NuttyBuddy’s advice to change the filename from ETERIMG to ETERDIAG; something wonderful happened as I was making notes. My device is sitting on the arm of my couch, I didn’t want to touch or move or disrupt it in any way.

a. I renamed and copied the Eternity 1.09 ROM to my thumb drive, set up the device to say “Entering USB Host Mode” and exactly as the debrand instructions imply; the device restarts and re-enters USB Host Mode and a parade of yellow “>*>*>*…” march through the screen; eight rows deep.

b. The words “Update Successful, UPDATE COMPLETED” pop up, say one HAIL MARY, pull the battery out and pop it back in and hit the power button and look for those magic words “x310e”. I follow the prompts and finally when my tile screen is up, I immediately head over to settings and a couple of menu later I read, not SPL 1.09 but like many that stubborn SPL2.5.160015.3 (137079).

c. Up until my device read “x310e” it had read ‘P139100”. I made up my mind what mattered was not the words "P139100" but "x310e" and proceeded forward.

d. I delete the Eternity 1.09 file from my thumb drive; I rename and copy the .nbh file within DFT’s SPL2.05 folder, a 24 megabyte file to “ETERDIAG” not ETERIMG; don’t ask me why, but this matters. If you begin this whole process with ETERDIAG, this next step must be identical. Forget the Chinese diagnostic version of this, I looked it up, it’s a 283K file. The key here is the filename.

e. Because the file is 24 megs, this won’t take long except right at the beginning. This step will do the exact same thing as the Eternity/Cingular ROM; it will restart on its own and the waiting and patience begins. When I was about to write off this step as a failure, the device came to life and loaded the file. Stunned and in disbelief, I said, what the hell, restarted the device in bootloader mode, made sure Zune was running, pulled up DFT’s HSPL folder on my computer followed the prompts and my four day torture was over; “CottulaH” and those 4 beautiful letters “HSPL”.

f. I immediately chased down my Windows Phone 7.8.8858 custom ROM and 10 minutes later, my 4 days of torture were over. Like many, I was stuck on the belief my SPL had to read 1.09 or 1.10; it doesn’t; the key is whatever 1.09/1.10 ROM you use in the beginning does in fact run on the device; forget that the SPL reads 2.5, proceed to DFT’s flashing of SPL2.05 file which will also read SPL2.5 which I realize is a bit confusing to look at.

15. I can only tell you that the difference on my second device was the filename change and not worrying about the SPL downgrade.

16. I will edit these steps later and will make them available via PM and a post on the debrand thread. The file was originally written with Word 2010.

17. The bottom line is be patient with the device, what worked on my wife’s device did not work on my device but tweaking the steps along the way and changing the filename from ETERIMG to ETERDIAG and not expecting a downgrade in the SPL got the job done. The Gold card method works. When I think about how many times I have flashed my Rhodium and HD2, I think about the Titan I and it does not have an expandable microSD card slot. When I got past the differences, it pretty much felt like the same experience despite the nuances in each device. The HD2 is a dream to flash; why Microsoft has made this harder than it has to be, I do not know.

18. Good luck and don’t give up! Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and remember it’s between you, your device, your wife and lady luck if you attempt this procedure. Off the record, at any step along the way, I never lost the capability to program load; I had SPL2.5 the entire way until right at the end and finally HSPL2.5.
    The HD2 is a leak and pain in the butt for microsoft and HTC, by creating those type of phones they want one thing and that is to sell as much as they create, by doing so they plan to copy apple, for every update we give you a new phone, they dont want: hey we sell u HD2 now and u wont have a need for a phone for next 5 years? No, ofc, the HD2 is still keeping some consumers from buying new phone alltough they have financial posibilities to buy one or few, and thats not what an company as HTC or any other want. Locking is only way to secure money, earn even more and stand high in this buisness

I've owned 5 devices since we went to cells and not a landline. It's been an amazing and a depressing evolution as what began as $2.99 data is now as high as $70.00 and that's only 10 years if you're with T-Mobile; the carriers too have a role in all of this too. Like IM, it's a cash cow for carriers but T-Mobile narrows what devices can use wi-fi to call and text and its not available on other carriers unless everybody in your universe is using the same app...not likely. It's frustrating when there is money to be saved but I have no doubt, it's all deliberate.