How To Root An Acer Iconia A500

Search This thread

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
I'm referring to yr post quoted first above....if a500 manager reports device not found then it most certainly is a communication error.

Throw it in apx mode and run nvflash manually - its a darn site easier than mucking about with the tools.
Good luck with it. Its new years eve here and its time to chillax Woohoo

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I've tried reading the posts about using nvflash and they all seem to assume I want to flash a bootloader or ROM. I want to take this one step at a time. I've already bricked one a500 and I want to be careful not to brick another. At this point ALL if want to do is ROOT the tablet. I can't find any instructions on doing that via nvflash.

So far, I've gotten both the ADB and APX drivers installed on a Win7 laptop. I manually put the tablet in APX mode via the reset button method. Win 7 "Device Manager" shows the APX connection OK. I tried to use the A500 Manager tool to retrieve my CPUID and Bootloader version but both failed to return any info.

I then used a Linux box to manually retreive the CPUID and SBCalc.exe to generate the SBK number. Both worked an I now have the numbers. So how do I use nvflash to simply ROOT the tablet? Or must I flash a "rooted bootloader"? The tablet came with Acer's stock version of Android 4.0.3. If I use the V8-UNL-ICS-HC-bootloader-MULTI-cwn tool and run V8.bat, do I risk bricking the tablet?

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Depends why u want root, these tabs are unbrickable the only thing that will stop u is acers faulty memory chip.

I've posted 3 times now to use icsRoot. ..you've not mentioned using it yet???

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
Depends why u want root, these tabs are unbrickable the only thing that will stop u is acers faulty memory chip.

I've posted 3 times now to use icsRoot. ..you've not mentioned using it yet???

You've posted telling me to click on the entry in your sig. I've done this three times. It first led me to ICS_rooting_A10x_A5xx.zip and I posted the error result from that. I then tried
ICS Root 7.2.0.zip, which did nothing. And finally I ran the exe from this zip step_3__ICS_Root_Tool_2.0.1.0.zip. This one appeared to work and came back telling me I was rooted. But I still get the Android Bot with the yellow ! point when I try to boot into recovery. And when I first power on, I don't get a message in the upper lefthand corner telling me the tablet is rooted.

edit: BTW, I did succeed in using v8.bat to install the new bootloader but with it, when I hold the vol+ while powering on and get its menu, when I choose "Recovery" from the menu it still just goes to the Android Bot with the yellow !.

Last edited:

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
You've posted telling me to click on the entry in your sig. I've done this three times. It first led me to ICS_rooting_A10x_A5xx.zip and I posted the error result from that.
sorry I havent seen any error I been using my phone so I dunno??
I then tried ICS Root 7.2.0.zip, which did nothing. And finally I ran the exe from this zip step_3__ICS_Root_Tool_2.0.1.0.zip. This one appeared to work and came back telling me I was rooted.
Soooo, icsRoot tells you its rooted....but are you???
Open up your favourite file explorer (most of them require root, so you should get a pop up asking if you want to grant permission for root rights.) Make sure you enable read/write access and then head to / and look for a boot.p file. icsRoot normally deletes this file for you, so hopefully thats happend.

But I still get the Android Bot with the yellow ! point when I try to boot into recovery.
If boot.p file is in / then rename it or delete it, this file overwrites your newly flashed custom recovery with the "dead android" which is Acer Stock Recovery.

And when I first power on, I don't get a message in the upper lefthand corner telling me the tablet is rooted.
Not sure about this one - as far as I know theres never a message of this type showing rooted on the Acer??

edit: BTW, I did succeed in using v8.bat to install the new bootloader but with it, when I hold the vol+ while powering on and get its menu, when I choose "Recovery" from the menu it still just goes to the Android Bot with the yellow !.
The process requires a strict order otherwise you go round in circles.

1. Root with icsRoot to delete the boot.p file.
2. Have your custom ICS/JB rom on your ext sd card - you must use a custom rom with the unlocked bootloader!!
3. Put your tab in apxmode
4. Run the v8.bat - use cwm recovery until you get up and running
5. Enter recovery and flash the rom.
6. Done!!

You must follow the steps in this order, as all the guides say to, if you deviate, it wont work. As soon as you've run the v8, boot direct to cwm and flash rom.

EDIT: TO ENTER RECOVERY _ POWER AND VOLUME DOWN BUTTON NOT VOL UP

Last edited:

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
sorry I havent seen any error I been using my phone so I dunno??

Soooo, icsRoot tells you its rooted....but are you???
Open up your favourite file explorer (most of them require root, so you should get a pop up asking if you want to grant permission for root rights.) Make sure you enable read/write access and then head to / and look for a boot.p file. icsRoot normally deletes this file for you, so hopefully thats happend.

If boot.p file is in / then rename it or delete it, this file overwrites your newly flashed custom recovery with the "dead android" which is Acer Stock Recovery.

Not sure about this one - as far as I know theres never a message of this type showing rooted on the Acer??

The process requires a strict order otherwise you go round in circles.

1. Root with icsRoot to delete the boot.p file.
2. Have your custom ICS/JB rom on your ext sd card - you must use a custom rom with the unlocked bootloader!!
3. Put your tab in apxmode
4. Run the v8.bat - use cwm recovery until you get up and running
5. Enter recovery and flash the rom.
6. Done!!

You must follow the steps in this order, as all the guides say to, if you deviate, it wont work. As soon as you've run the v8, boot direct to cwm and flash rom.

EDIT: TO ENTER RECOVERY _ POWER AND VOLUME DOWN BUTTON NOT VOL UP
Running "Root Explorer" verifies the tablet is not rooted. When I try to "Mount R/W" I get a message saying it isn't rooted. There is no boot.p file in the / directory.

In step 1 you say to use icsRoot but as I posted, I have tried all three of the icsRoot files I found and I'm still not rooted. But with no boot.p file, I will try once more to use V8.bat but with a ROM image on the SD card. I'll post back with the results.

dibb_nz

Sep 23, 2010
Shake City
Running "Root Explorer" verifies the tablet is not rooted. When I try to "Mount R/W" I get a message saying it isn't rooted. There is no boot.p file in the / directory.

In step 1 you say to use icsRoot but as I posted, I have tried all three of the icsRoot files I found and I'm still not rooted. But with no boot.p file, I will try once more to use V8.bat but with a ROM image on the SD card. I'll post back with the results.

What rom were u on b4 flashing the v8.bat?

lewmur

Apr 30, 2011
What rom were u on b4 flashing the v8.bat?

I was on ICS 4.0.3 stock. But I think I solved the problem. I think the security software on the Win 7 box was the problem. I turned it off and then ran ICSRoot and it rooted the tablet. I can now "Mount R/W" in Root Explorer. And then I ran V8.bat again and it also worked. I can now boot into TWRP recovery mode. Thanks a lot for your help.

gregzem

Oct 27, 2008
Hi Guys.
I'm facing with rooting problem on my Acer Iconia A501 (4.0.3) with the following version of firmware

ACER_AV041_A501_1.023.00.WW_GEN1

I've already tried two different ways to root the device: using blackthund3r application and shell script.

Both ways proceed without any errors, copy files, launch shell scripts and say "Device has been rooted" at the end but I don't see icon with "android pirate", su command from terminal says "Permission Denied" and application still say that device has to bee rooted. So it seems I don't get root.

Is there any special procedure to get root on version 1.023 (4.0.3) of A501? Does anybody perform described approach on the same version of device?

Appreciate any comments and help with this.

joker66599

Aug 15, 2010
I have my bosses acer 500 tablet and i kniw this postis hella oldbut are there any other specs i need to check before doing this?
A500
Image acer av041 a500 rv05rc01 pa cus1
Build acer av041 a500 1.033.00 pa cus1

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Notice: A New Q & A thread has been created in the Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting Sub-Forum.
New Discussion and Q & A Tabs have also been created, located just under threads Title, when viewing in a Browser.
Posts from members with less than 10 posts will automatically be posted in the new Q & A thread.
Please check it out, and see if you can help out someone with a question about this Topic.

IRamzayI

Feb 28, 2008
GingerBreak-1.2 runs for over an hour.

I am applying GingerBreak v.1.2 on Acer Iconia A500 with Android 4.0.3. GingerBreak was running for over an hour with the message "Rooting... Running exploit... This may take a few minutes! Device will reboot on success!"
USB debugging is turned on and Unknown Sources is selected. MicroSD card is inserted, and device is locked in portrait mode.

Is this behavior normal?
Should I keep waiting till it finishes?
How much longer?
What happens when the exploit is not successful?
Is this safe to terminate GingerBreak and restart it?

Thanks.

LRail

Sep 8, 2013
I am applying GingerBreak v.1.2 on Acer Iconia A500 with Android 4.0.3.

Gingerbreak doesn't with ICS/IceCream sandwich.

I used the tool by blackthund3r with a fully stock A500 running 4.0.3 and it worked perfectly:
(I used ICS Root for window 7.2.0)
http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

Here's the xda thread you may wish to read:
xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1205204

I had to have USB mode is set to MTP in the A500 Settings

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening from the uk

earlier on today a bunch of devs managed to actually root this tablet using a modified version of gingerbreak

below is the walkthrough of how to root this device

1. make sure usb debugging is turned on and unknown sources is selected
    2. have a micro sd card inserted and turn the tablet on portrait and lock it with the switch to fix it in portrait
    3. download and execute the attached apk. (i had to download from my comp and transfer to the tablet for it to work)
    4. once the apk is installed run the root procedure within the app which was installed
    5. wait and you will receive full root access

Edit to add original dev and thread

A BIG BIG thank you to monki-magic who provided the modified apk and the original thread is

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1046277
    To root under 3.2, you can use timmyDean's method from XDA.
    Probably better to wait for ICS at this point.
    Acer Iconia A500 Rooted
    How to Root Acer Iconia A500

How to Root Acer Iconia A500

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9srwjuAF6w
    I have to go cut the grass before I start playing with my A5 again. Can you guys tell the benefits of rooting so far? another forum mentioned deleting bloatware and freezing apps that hog resources/battery life.

From http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Why_Root

What Does Root Give Me?

1. Full control over your system
    2. Ability to alter system files. You can replace many parts of the "Android Core" with this including:
    o Themes
    o Core apps (maps, calendar, clock etc)
    o Recovery image
    o Bootloader
    o Toolbox (linux binary that lets you execute simple linux commands like "ls") can be replaced with Busybox (slightly better option)
    o Boot images
    o Add linux binaries
    3. Run special apps that need more control over the system
    o SuperUser (lets you approve or deny the use of root access to any program)
    o Task Manager For Root (Lets you kill apps that you otherwise could not kill)
    o Tether apps (like the one found at [android-wifi-tether.googlecode.com])
    <there are more but I cannot think of any right now>
    4. Backup your system
    o You can make a folder on your sdcard and backup all of your .apk files to your sdcard (helps if an author decides to "upgrade" you to a version that requires you to pay to use the version you just had)
    5. Relocate your (browser/maps/market) cache to your /sdcard
    6. Relocate your installed applications to your /sdcard
    7. Reboot your phone from the terminal app easily (su <enter> reboot <enter>)