[HOWTO] [ROOT] No Tripping Flash Counter [SPR L710VPBLJ7] JB 4.1.1

Search This thread

mrRobinson

Dec 20, 2010
Hello there...

I just bought my new Galaxy S III (I9300)

With Android Jelly Bean 4.1.1 out of the box...
With these fw version;
Ap: I9300XXDLJ1
CP: I9300DXDLI5
CSC: I9300OLBDLJ1
also screenshots attached...

Is the procedure from the 1st post works without any problem on my phone.
I dont want to loose my warranty so i asked this 1st..
Thank you for any help and inputs..

Sent from my GT-I9300
You are going to want to go to the I9300 forum.

mooncraterx

Jan 24, 2007
Credo Galaxy III

Hello,

Credo uses sprint service will this method work for credo? will it trip the counter? Do i have to use specific injection files? I tried looking around for it and couldnt find any definitive answers.

Thanks!

Jniede

Jul 30, 2012
I keep getting a FAIL. Here is the error:

<ID:0/005> Added!!
<ID:0/005> Odin v.3 engine (ID:5)..
<ID:0/005> File analysis..
<ID:0/005> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/005> Initialzation..
<ID:0/005> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/005> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/005> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/005> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/005> sbl1.mbn
<ID:0/005> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/005> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/005> sbl3.mbn
<ID:0/005> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/005> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Can anyone help figure out what is wrong. I can't get back to stock and the phone only boots to the firmware error screen. Kies wont see the device either.

Jacob_newton

Nov 1, 2010
Thanks for posting your question Jniede.

I am having the same issue exactly.

I upgraded the stock firmware after I bought the phone and
I'm wondering if that is related. Did you upgrade to the latest stock firmware before attempting
to flash?
Edit: According to an earlier post in this thread by EndlessDissent it shouldn't matter which
firmware is on the phone. So maybe that's not it.
Edit2: a more recent (2013) post by toeshot
(http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2555284)
says "once you install the 4.3 update you cannot use Odin to flash a downgrade ROM even an official Samsung ROM." so maybe that is it...
I don't have any more time to mess with it right now I hope some of this information is helpful.

I am currently digging around for a solution.
My Odin log is identical to yours and now my phone will only boot into download mode with an error.

The error states "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. please select
recovery mode in Kies & try again."

Edit2: At the top of the phone it states:
SW REV CHECK FAIL : Fused 1 > Binary 0

Which firmware did you attempt to flash? I tried the latest one in the OP.
"root66_SPR_L710VPBLJ7.tar.md5"

I was going to try and flash the "L710VPALI3" one but I don't have a decent internet connection to
download it on.
Have you tried flashing one of the other images?

Last edited:

Jacob_newton

Nov 1, 2010
I just flashed the official 4.3 stock Rom and I'm sending this message from my phone.

I couldn't find a decent link for the stock rom on XDA or sprint's site
so I dug around and found one at theandroidsoul.com

My problem was that I didn't realize Odin would not flash an older firm than was already installed.

Has anyone made a root injected odin flashable 4.3 similar to the ones listed in the OP?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a completely stock ODIN flashable ROM with root injected into the system image. The latest image is based off of the official Kies SPR L710VPBLJ7 release which is the first official JB release on this phone.
    This is a fairly easy way to get root WITHOUT tripping the flash counter that will void the warranty. If you don't care about tripping the counter then you can get root other ways.

You can get ODIN here
    and the drivers for the SPH-L710 so ODIN can detect your phone can be found at Samsung's site. Click on the Manuals & Downloads tab at the bottom and then on Software for the latest driver.

First download the stock odin tar that has a rooted system image injected into it:

SPR Image (JB 4.1.1)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - root66_SPR_L710VPBLJ7.7z

SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALI3

Old SPR Image (ICS 4.0.4)
    Perm Mirror 1: Download - L710VPALEN

Second,
    Extract the root66_SPR_L710VPALI3.tar from the .7z file you downloaded.
    Put phone into download mode [ with phone off, hold vol. down + home + power ], connect to computer and open Odin.
    once in odin click the PDA field and select the root66_SPR_L710VPALEN.tar you downloaded.
    Leave Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time checked.
    click start and
    when done let phone reboot.
    If you have issues flashing with Odin please ensure you are using the microusb cable that came with the phone, users have had issues using other cables.
    If you just want a stock, rooted phone with no custom recovery, no plans to flash custom roms, etc. then you can stop HERE.

Third, (optional) - on a Jelly Bean release, loading a non-stock recovery will trip your flash counter.
    If you want to get clockworkmod recovery loaded so you can flash whatever you want, nandroid, etc then continue on....
    Once rebooted you can essentially follow this thread to load the clockworkmod recovery but make sure you use METHOD 1 or you will trip the counter. As long as you flash the recovery using the dd method with adb (or use terminal emulator from the play store) then you will NOT trip the flash counter. If you use ODIN to flash a custom recovery you will trip the counter.
    The standard CWM recovery is here and the touch recovery is here.

If you've made it this far with a stock, rooted phone with cwm and you don't want to flash a custom rom (which will do its own de-bloating) you can check out my Aroma installer based De-bloater to easily get rid of bloat system apps you no longer want to see. Simply flash in CWM like anything else and you will be presented with a menu system to choose what to remove. If you are unsure it is safe to pick Recommended and a decent de-bloat.

OTA Updates
    I understand on Sprint there are OTA updates available. If you use this root method and want to move to an OTA update you basically have two options.
    1. After using this method you can grab voodoo OTA rootkeeper from the play store and apply the update straight as it is from OTA. The rootkeeper app should keep root for you after the update is applied.
    2. Find someone who made a CWM flashable update, potentially with certain pieces removed and simply flash it in CWM.

Thanks
    To get the injected root system image I followed pieces of
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=27801304&postcount=1
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22798858&postcount=32

so thanks to those guys. Neither of those worked out of the box needed a bit of tweaking.
    Correct. It will not wipe data. You may want to depending on your needs.
    Does this wipe data?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    Since the original .tar file didn't wipe data, I'll go out on a limb and say this doesn't either. However, if you're restoring your home .tar file for warranty purposes I'd suggest performing a full wipe in CWM prior to flashing this in Odin, or Mobile Odin.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    so to go back to completely stock, you would flash a stock tar in odin and that wouldn't trip the counter either?

Correct. Anything that is a stock Samsung provided file(or phone thinks it is Samsung provided file) will not trip the counter.
    so not to sound stupid, but after doing this method and getting root and CWM, then we can flash anything in cwm without tripping the counter correct?

That's what I'm wondering. Anyhoo, is there any basis to state that the tripping the flash counter will void the warranty or is that just a wild assumption?