Review of Trident Perseus, Aegis, and Cyclops S5 case w/lots of pics!!!

Search This thread

vectron

Apr 23, 2011
This is a review of Trident Perseus, Aegis, and Cyclops cases for S5. http://www.tridentcase.com/shop-products/samsung-galaxy-s-v/

In the past I have reviewed a lot of different Trident cases for smartphones and tablets, and was always pleased with their design, build quality, and very reasonable pricing (make sure to check Amazon for that). That's why I was very excited to get an opportunity to review their cases for the new Galaxy S5. Cleverly partitioned into different series, these offer various levels of protection depending on your use. Here, I'm going to look at Perseus Series (light-weight protection), Aegis Series (everyday protection), and Cyclops Series (tough protection) cases.

Starting with Perseus, I was very impressed with a packaging box which provided a full display of the case and a detailed description of features on the back. In addition to a case, Trident also included a film screen protector which is a nice bonus. The case itself is constructed of shock absorbing TPU gel material. Although rated as light-duty protection, it's actually of a better quality than typical cheap TPU cases. It has precise cutouts and alignment with all S5 ports, and power and volume buttons are covered. It should protect your phone from scratches and will provide a basic drop protection. The lip around the screen will keep it off the surface if placed face down, and it also offers anti-skid protection and no wobbling when placed face up. Also, it features a smooth surface finish so it will be easy in and out of the pocket.

trident_s5_cases-01_zps823885f9.jpg

trident_s5_cases-02_zps0a86c985.jpg

trident_s5_cases-03_zps5d6647ad.jpg

trident_s5_cases-04_zps794b09f8.jpg

trident_s5_cases-05_zpsc38f0816.jpg

trident_s5_cases-06_zps8dd6832f.jpg

trident_s5_cases-07_zpsf5069f8e.jpg

trident_s5_cases-08_zps5693c67d.jpg

When you ready to step up to a more serious protection, Aegis Series is the way to go. It consists of two layers, inner shock-absorbing silicone layer and outer hardened PC plastic shell. In addition, it also comes with a screen protector. According to description of features on the back of the packaging box, this case actually meets or exceeds Military standards (MIL-STD-810F for vibration and drop), and it sure feels like it. Inner silicone layer has nice textured thicker back padding and also a thicker all around bumper with enhanced corner protection. The screen bumper is raised so there shouldn't be any issues placing the phone down on the screen. It also has attached port covers for micro-usb and headphone ports. I do have to mention because this is silicone material there is a little bit of pull around the edges. At the same time, I have not noticed it being lint magnet, it worked great with my tempered glass screen protector, and it felt pocket friendly. Outer PC shell wraps around the back with extra layer of protection and with side grips to keep inner shell from sliding off. Also, it has a dust cover for the speaker port. Both shells interconnect with a precision and wrap around S5 to give a solid feel. In addition to covering headphone, micro-usb, and speaker ports, power/volume buttons are covered as well and have a very nice tactile feedback response. The camera/flash is one common opening, and with border lining of inner silicone layers it makes sure your don't get flash reflection which often a problem on white cases where pictures get overexposed.

trident_s5_cases-09_zpsbc32d15a.jpg

trident_s5_cases-10_zps221d4d2d.jpg

trident_s5_cases-11_zpsea78ab2b.jpg

trident_s5_cases-12_zpse8b90179.jpg

trident_s5_cases-13_zpsdf7139f3.jpg

trident_s5_cases-14_zps637d3e44.jpg

trident_s5_cases-15_zps466e0420.jpg

trident_s5_cases-16_zps05034e09.jpg

trident_s5_cases-17_zpsce2fba83.jpg

trident_s5_cases-18_zpsd7e19488.jpg

trident_s5_cases-19_zps70d83e3d.jpg

trident_s5_cases-20_zps0cc7fd91.jpg

When you think about Tough Protection cases, lightweight and slim doesn't jump into your mind. Lightweight and slim doesn't go together with a case which has been build to meet or exceed MIL-STD810F standard by independent testing, including a requirement to survive 26 drops onto concrete from 4ft height. Well, I hope your phone/case will never have to experience this kind of a torture because guys at Trident already verified it for you So let's take a closer look at how this Cyclops monster looks!

Once you take it out of the box, you can't help but notice how lightweight it is. At only 62g and with a very slim profile it will not add too much bulk to your S5. But don't let the light weight and slim design fool you. The case is made out of two fused layers of TPE and PC material to provide a serious shock-absorbing impact protection. The power and volume buttons are fully covered while still having a nice tactile response. The same with headphone and micro-usb ports, covered by a flexible flap of TPE layer extension. Every other port opening has a precise cutout and perfect alignment with S5. You can also find a skid pad around the whole back perimeter to prevent case from sliding off any surface. But the best feature of the case is the removable screen protector. It's permanently attached to an outer frame piece that goes on top and interlocks with a case. Once locked, it creates a solid seal with virtually no movement of the phone inside of the case. The screen protector has a cutout for home button, top speaker, and front camera. It worked great even with my tempered glass screen protector and I didn't notice any issues with screen touch sensitivity. Obviously, its not waterproof case, but you will be able to use your phone in some mild rain and wind with this extra seal protection. There is also a loop opening in the lower corner to attach a lanyard for extra security while using your phone outdoors.

trident_s5_cases-21_zps9fb33694.jpg

trident_s5_cases-22_zps5efb9ac8.jpg

trident_s5_cases-23_zps685674da.jpg

trident_s5_cases-24_zpsd68cb9b1.jpg

trident_s5_cases-25_zpsfd834a72.jpg

trident_s5_cases-26_zps85d413ad.jpg

trident_s5_cases-27_zps8176a68f.jpg

trident_s5_cases-28_zpsb809ee6c.jpg

trident_s5_cases-29_zps9f6589bc.jpg

trident_s5_cases-30_zpse2bef607.jpg

bogdaryl

Jul 13, 2012
Bogalusa
Really cool cases. I especially like the fact that some of them have the port covers for the headphone jack and the usb plug. Most for the cases being made for the S5 don't have this feature and I guess It's not the biggest deal in the world but I prefer them. I guess I'm just accustomed to having them.

alxrock

Aug 17, 2010
Tampa
I tried out the Aegis case for my S5 with the wireless charging back and can confirm that it will not fit. However, I was surprised at how bad the quality has become on Trident's cases. I've owned other Trident cases in the past and they felt pretty solid, but the newer builds have a much thinner silicone layer that provides very little protection. I would definitely spend the extra cash to go with an Otterbox.

Last edited: