[GUIDE] How to extract Huawei firmware (update.app)

Search This thread

Onecton

Mar 16, 2009
Thanks man,
i sucessfully extracted the System.img from The Ascend Mate B905 Firmware... now i can play a little bit!

Cheers Mate

New Droid

Jun 22, 2012
repack to .zip

Hi first off all thank for all the info. Now the question... I'm trying to update my acend p1 to the lastest official rom from huawei Jelly Bean+EMUI1.5, but when follow the steps to update, http://youtu.be/33E8qmfdFhg, when the phone reboots i stays stuck at my custom recovey, cwm recovery v5.8.4.5 with a information "E:Invalid command argument". How can i repack every file to make a update.zip so i can make the update from my custom recovery.
Thanks

g525dragon

Oct 16, 2013
kota kinabalu
well, i tried it but somehow it doesn't work on the huawei ascend g525-u00 update.app
what i'm trying to say is even the split_updata.pl won't work:crying:

cris.huawei

Nov 10, 2013
nice job!!!-help request

first of all Nice job creating tasks like this is out of the ordinary and i want to tell you that i admire your knowleddge and your patience.
A request now, i have a huawei g520 t10 as my second phone due to my travels for job purposes to china,the phone is tdscdma and i can use
3g in china telecom networks.The phone has cwm recovery automade (thanks arm1 for the good job) with droid tools,and miui v5 unofficial (thanks someone in china....) and works more than decent, in fact no bugs at all.Till yesterday at least that my 2 years old daughter managed to erase the imei from the device while i was preparing her milk as i had the phone connected to the pc with droid tools and i was trying something she pressed the mouse and she changed the imei but in fact the droid tools erased it and i can not get it back.Droid tools wont work (no device on ptty....error),mobile uncle and engineer mode in generall (error sending the command in at),terminal emulators wont touch this system file.......Anyway i figured out the only way might be if i lad the original rom again but since i have cwm recovery i cant,thats where i need your help
i extracted the rom your way(pretty easy and user friendly) but i am missing boot and system img,anyway even if i had it my knowledge ends somewhere near.....and i dont know how to make it flashable to cwm.Would you be kind enough to help etheir by guiding me or by preparing the zip file by the app file for me (that would be huge).ANY HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

Azujual

Dec 8, 2013
update.app help

Hello, everyone.
Please help me to find update.app for Huawei Y320-U10. After two month of searching still nothing.
Please help.

Mechaniker86

Jun 9, 2012
Puerto La Cruz
I did not get recovery.img Huawei G526

Greetings, I have followed your tutorial to exactly, but do not get the recovery.img my Asceng FIRMWARE Huawei is the G526. Check this picture please.

Adaephon

Apr 3, 2014
526 Official ROM

Hello, everyone.
Please help me to find update.app for Huawei Y320-U10. After two month of searching still nothing.
Please help.

Hi,

did you manage to extract the 526 in the end? if you did can you please upload it, seeing as ive managed to flash mine with an orange branded g740 offical rom, it works but its stuck with no imei, and wont let me unlock the bootloader anylonger...

Adaephon

lauri_ylonen

Mar 5, 2013
hannover
hi extract update and i can write recovery and boot on the flastboot for update but can not write file system and write error

L:\File Flash\htc\ADB___FASTBOOT\ADB & FASTBOOT>fastboot flash recovery recovery
.img
sending 'recovery' (3972 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.984s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.594s]
finished. total time: 1.578s

L:\File Flash\htc\ADB___FASTBOOT\ADB & FASTBOOT>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (3604 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.906s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.531s]
finished. total time: 1.438s

L:\File Flash\htc\ADB___FASTBOOT\ADB & FASTBOOT>fastboot flash system system.img

sending 'system' (191560 KB)...
FAILED (remote: data too large)
finished. total time: 0.000s

about_ar

Jan 10, 2011
Dubai - UAE
Many Thanks for the great post, it helped me too much.

Actually the script didn't rename the files correctly, I was looking for the recovery.img file and I managed to find it by trial and error ;)

I hope if you can update the scripts in order to find the new file sizes.

littleshiro

May 2, 2012
Nearly the same output

Greetings, I have followed your tutorial to exactly, but do not get the recovery.img my Asceng FIRMWARE Huawei is the G526. Check this picture please.

I've the same output but with a little bit differences in system.img, unknown_file.7.img and unknown_file.14.img.

G526_output.png

I suppose it's because I've installed a different firmware, isn't it?

G526_firmware_(G526-L11_Android 4.1_Emotion_UI_V100R001C86B191_Spain-Yoigo_05011UPY)

littleshiro

May 2, 2012
How?

Hi,

did you manage to extract the 526 in the end? if you did can you please upload it, seeing as ive managed to flash mine with an orange branded g740 offical rom, it works but its stuck with no imei, and wont let me unlock the bootloader anylonger...

Adaephon

How did you? Could you explain it? everything worked fine (screen, camera...)? Which android version is installed? I'm trying to get the android 4.2.2 from G740 and bring to G526 and I don't know where to start...

Bedeulfi

Apr 1, 2011
thanks. works great on honor rom but is used files from here w w w . android-hilfe.de/root-hacking-modding-fuer-huawei-ideos-x3/152438-how-img-app-dateien-entpacken.html

no need for Active Perl

13noninja

May 5, 2013
Confused?????

Sorry for the noobness, but I can't seem to find the update.app for my G525. Can anyone help me?:confused:

ouro898

Dec 23, 2013
Hi. I'm having problems using the EXT4 Unpacker. I'm encountering this error.

unpacker_error.png

How do I get around this?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to extract Huawei firmware / update.app

I wondered how to extract the firmware files Huawei, since with the dsixda's Android Kitchen I could not do it. After some research I finally found and I share my method in this thread.
    This method works for the newer firmware (i tested on JellyBean Emotion UI 1.5) but should also work on a lot of others version.
    Please for all improvements, send me a MP. I’m french and it’s possible for me to misspellings

This thread is in constant progress thanks to your feedback..​

I. What you will need

II. Download and install ActivePerl

1. Download ActivePerl
    2. Install it:

257120731.png

501646142.png

668285883.png

820209554.png

894470805.png

145202936.png

380670207.png

3. It's okay for ActivePerl

III. Install script to extract update.app

1. Create a new folder on your Desktop named "Huawei ROM extract"
    2. Download this script (I modified it to work properly) in the folder "Huawei ROM extract"
    3. Put your update.app in the same folder
    NB: It have to be named update.app !!!
    4. So you folder look like this:

119082448.png

5. Double click on split_updata.pl
    6. This window will appear, just wait:

270591589.png

7. When it finish the window is closed automaticaly
    8. In your folder this is a new folder named "output", open it
    9. You will see some files like:

8294977310.png

10. It's okay for extraction

III. Find system, boot and recovery files

1. Download my script HuaweiFinder in the folder "Huawei ROM extract"
    2. Execute my script with a double click, youwill see this windows:

1906043311.png

3. It's done, go into ouput folder and you will see some files:

2006861512.png

boot.img is the kernel files
    recovery.img is the recovery
    system.img is the rom
    others files are some others system files

III. Open and extract img

1. Now download Android ICS JB EXT4 imagefile unpacker
    2. Extract it in the folder "Huawei ROM extract"
    3. Open ext4_unpacker
    4. Double clic on ext4_unpacker.exe

5752007913.png

5. Clic on this icon:
    5070577914.png

6. Go to the output folder and select system.img clic on "Open"

7216531315.png

7. Now select all files, right clic and clic on "Extract"

8156893016.png

6195477617.png

8. You will see this:

9518189918.png

9. It's okay the ROM is extracted where you have choosen !!

I hope this guide will be helpful!! And don't forget to thanks :)

GalaxyUser
    if you mean the size of the update.app i used, it was about 10.26mb

Edit

here is the update.zip for the update.app file

So this is an OTA update and not a full rom ;)

Will look at
    Hi,

Thanks for the great guide, but I have a problem executing split_updata.pl. when i double click it, a terminal just opens and closes itself in less than a second but there is no change. I installed the active perl in the link. Any idea?

Edit:
    If i type
    Code:
    perl split_updata.pl update.app
    on terminal, it gives me
    Code:
    Unrecognised file format. Wrong identifier.
    And it makes a folder named "output" in the directory, but nothing is in there.
    The update.app was in the update.zip from B522 to B601 for ascend d1.

It's stange... Which is the size of the file ?

great tread!
    but for ascend y300 don't work very well..
    it dont' recognize boot.img and recovery.img

Send me boot.img and recovery.img, or give me the rom link. I will try to fix that
    Hello to community.
    For the first - big thanx to developer of this tool and author of this thread-

Im a newbie here with a poor knowledge of English, but I will try to do my bests to desribe my situation.
    I deleted everything from the phone Huawei G6 - L11 (also know as G6 4G) via TWRP (by mistake) and I would like to recover my phone back. I have downloaded the Perl Package Manager. The first thing I can not find is a mentioned script (split_updata.pl) mentioned on the first page of this theme.
    May I ask someone from the thread to assist me with finding the right script and to provide me a guidance to pass throug this work? Any help will be appreciated.
    Regards
    Jirka
    here is my How-to about extracting huawei update.app. with links added.:
    note that i use ubuntu not windows.

extract huawei update.app:

https://github.com/marcominetti/split_updata.pl

# copy splitupdate, crc and UPDATE.APP files in same folder.
    cd in that folder.

chmod +x splitupdate
    chmod +x crc
    ./splitupdate UPDATE.APP

then copy system.img in another folder

download simg2simg

https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-tab-3/development-10/dev-simg2img-makeext4fs-binaries-mac-os-t2865515

I was able to use simg2img like this:

sudo apt install android-tools-fsutils

simg2img SYSTEM.img SYSTEM.img_raw

Then you can do
    sudo mkdir /media/<username>/temp

and afterwards

sudo mount SYSTEM.img_raw /media/<username>/temp

open it via terminal such as

nautilus /media/<username>/temp

You should be able to copy out of the mounted directory.
    You cannot make dirs and files in the mounted dir
    But if there is a problem you can do

chown <username>:<username> /media/<username>/temp
    I found the files on my laptop, and decided to upload them to GitHub
    Link: https://github.com/Raphdeumax/Huawei-ROM-Extractor