Completely hide the virtual keys in A70

Search This thread

akmalhisyam

Jan 7, 2011
I dont know if you guys already know this.
But I just found out that you can completely hide the virtual keys completely, not moving it to the notification bar.

Here's how to do it:
1. Make sure your filesystem is r/w
2. Use root explorer, rename folder /system/board_properties to other name (i just put "z" in the end of the name)
3. Reboot!

I've test it in Urukdroid 1.1b2 and it works like charm. Buttons mode still can be used, but i prefer Button Savior. New version of Button Savior is perfect, no more bug like before.

Try it and tell me if it works! :D

[UPDATE]
Sibere method (if my method doesnt work) [Post #22]

1. rename or move /system/board_properties folder
2. add this to /data/local.prop:
Code:
ro.board.has_buttonbar=no
ro.board.has_soft_keys=yes

thanks sibere! :)
btw your kernel for uruk rocks!

Attachments

• fb-20110625-112836.jpg
    fb-20110625-112836.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 763
Last edited:

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
Thank you, I will test that afterwards.

But which version is the latest version of button savior? And what's better in the pro version?

And can I undo it, if I rename the folder to board_properties?

akmalhisyam

Jan 7, 2011
Button Savior pro only enable us to change the button arrangement..
The latest version is 1.1.2

Yes, you can undo the change! Just rename it back and reboot..

Last edited:

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
Why I can't change the name? I've 2.1.08 with chulri's root and r/w filesystem and I can't rename the folder.

What can I do? Should I reinstall the SDE and root?

Last edited:

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
Now I put the folder to /board_propertiesx but it doesn't work. I could move the folder, and I could rename it, when it was in /.

There isn't a folder in system anymore, but the buttons are still there. Maybe because I don't have Urukdroid?

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
Yes, I've rebooted and put the folder from /system/ to / and I renamed it.

But I don't know, why I couldn't rename it in /system but could move it and renamed it in /?...

But is there maybe an other possibility in the local.prop? I tested ro.board.has_soft_keys=yes, but then the touchscreen doesn't work.

Reactions: akmalhisyam

akmalhisyam

Jan 7, 2011
I'm still finding other ways to hide the virtualkeys..
Maybe this method only works in UrukDroid I guess..
thank you for trying!

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
But are there any other guys with stock firmware who want to try it? Maybe I'm not the only one can't hide the buttons.

But what about UrukDroid? Do my files and apps will be removed when I install Urukdroid? Is Urukdroid like the SDE with root?

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
I think, I will stay with the stock firmware.

But it would be great, if other people with stock firmware would test that, too.

glimmling

Jan 27, 2011
tuetenmensch.blogspot.com
Hi. It works with chulri's ROOT. I'm on firmware 2.3.26. First it won't work with just renaming the folder. Then I moved the folder to / but it is also still there in /system. I deleted the board_properties - folder in /system, renamed the copy in / to board_properties.bak and moved this one back to /system as a backup. After a reboot the buttons were gone. Hope this helps.

Edit: After every reboot the Archos-Widget App crashes. I think, it is looking for files in the board_properties folder and can't find them. I freezed this app with titanium-backup and now everything seems fine. Maybe it needs only to disable the archos-widget app without the need to rename the folder to get rid of the buttons.

Last edited:

akmalhisyam

Jan 7, 2011
Hi. It works with chulri's ROOT. I'm on firmware 2.3.26. First it won't work with just renaming the folder. Then I moved the folder to / but it is also still there in /system. I deleted the board_properties - folder in /system, renamed the copy in / to board_properties.bak and moved this one back to /system as a backup. After a reboot the buttons were gone. Hope this helps.

nice..
glad to hear that its working :D

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011

I tested the same, but it doesn't work.

I will reinstall the SDE and the kernel and will test it again.

Flix123

Jan 30, 2011
I reformatted my Archos 70, put the SDE on it, but it still doesn't work.

Maybe it's because of the firmware 2.1.08?

glimmling

Jan 27, 2011
tuetenmensch.blogspot.com
Hey. Just recognized, that some games will work now without the softbuttons on my a70. Cut the rope and MonkeyBlast didn't run before the modification and now they do.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk

msticninja

Mar 16, 2007
Anyone with Chulri's R/W root, try this:

Go into the board_properties folder, find the file that relates to your model(mine is an A101, so my file was virtualkeys.A101IT), and rename it(add .old to the end of it), and reboot. If that doesn't work, try opening the file as text and delete all the text in it, then save as the original filename(not with the .old extension). Also, make sure you haven't turned off the Soft Buttons through UrukConfig or manual edits. You have to reenable the softkeys(remove them from notification bar) to make them disappear completely with this method.

Reactions: werzoo

arpruss

Jul 3, 2010
pruss.mobi
Another option is to hide them mostly--edit the right board_properties file and set their width to something really small, like 10 pixels. Then they remain usable (though the label will be cut-off), but they take up very little screen space.

bigfau

Inactive Recognized Developer
Worked for me on Archos 101 Churli's R/W Root

I have the 101 with Chulri's R/W root. All I did was move the board_properties to my sd card and rebooted. Abracadabra, their gone. Renamed to board_properties.bak and put back into the system folder. Rebooted again just to make sure it stuck and it did, no soft button:Ds.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    But I just found out that you can completely hide the virtual keys completely, not moving it to the notification bar.

Here's how to do it:
    2. Use root explorer, rename folder /system/board_properties to other name (i just put "z" in the end of the name)
    3. Reboot!

I've test it in Urukdroid 1.1b2 and it works like charm. Buttons mode still can be used, but i prefer Button Savior. New version of Button Savior is perfect, no more bug like before.

[UPDATE]
    Sibere method (if my method doesnt work) [Post #22]

1. rename or move /system/board_properties folder
    2. add this to /data/local.prop:
    Code:

thanks sibere! :)
    btw your kernel for uruk rocks!

Edit: After every reboot the Archos-Widget App crashes. I think, it is looking for files in the board_properties folder and can't find them. I freezed this app with titanium-backup and now everything seems fine. Maybe it needs only to disable the archos-widget app without the need to rename the folder to get rid of the buttons.

Here's how to do it:
    3. Reboot!

Hum not working for me :(

I had a local.prop made by urukconfig.
    I have deleted that file, renamed /system/board_properties to /system/board_propertiez, rebooted my uruk 1.0 and... The button bar is back ! :(

EDIT:

Had to add ro.board.has_soft_keys=yes to /data/local.prop to get completely rid of the soft buttons.
    I now have this in /data/local.prop
    Code:
    Yes, I've rebooted and put the folder from /system/ to / and I renamed it.

But I don't know, why I couldn't rename it in /system but could move it and renamed it in /?...

But is there maybe an other possibility in the local.prop? I tested ro.board.has_soft_keys=yes, but then the touchscreen doesn't work.
    Anyone with Chulri's R/W root, try this:

Go into the board_properties folder, find the file that relates to your model(mine is an A101, so my file was virtualkeys.A101IT), and rename it(add .old to the end of it), and reboot. If that doesn't work, try opening the file as text and delete all the text in it, then save as the original filename(not with the .old extension). Also, make sure you haven't turned off the Soft Buttons through UrukConfig or manual edits. You have to reenable the softkeys(remove them from notification bar) to make them disappear completely with this method.