Samsung Focus i917 Screen Repair Take Apart Guide

Search This thread

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Does your outer and inner screen having issue? Repairing the Samsung Focus i917 is a fairly simple task. This repair guide will walk you through the steps required to replace your AMOLED (LCD) and glass touchscreen digitizer combo. Follow this guide to insure a quick and safe repair for your Samsung smartphone.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Focus i917 part(s):
  • Samsung Focus i917 AMOLED (LCD) & Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Replacement

Tools Required:
  • Safe Open Pry Tool
  • Small Phillips Screwdriver
  • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer (optional)

Samsung Focus i917 apart guide:
    • First remove the back cover and the battery from the phone. Next remove the six small phillips screws. Once the screws are removed, use a safe pry tool to release the clips along the sides of the casing. Once the clips have been release you can remove the back housing from the rest of the phone.
    • Next ease the motherboard up slightly to allow access to the ribbon cable underneath the motherboard. Release this ribbon connector using a safe pry tool or screwdriver. With the ribbon released, you can now open the phone. Careful as the motherboard is still connected.
    • Using a safe pry tool release the ribbon clip, put the mother board on the side but be careful as it is still connected. Next, ease out the volume button. You will now be able to fully remove the motherboard from the rest of the phone.
    • You can now release the jaw connector on the back of the screen releasing the flex cable. Do this using a safe open pry tool to release the small flap on the back side of the connector.

Focus1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • Next using a hot hair dryer or heat gun, warm the front of the screen along the sides on the top to the bottom to warm the adhesive which is holding the screen to the frame of the phone. Use a safe pry tool to pry the glass away from the frame of the phone.
    • Ease the ribbon cables through the hole so that we can remove the screen, once the screen removed you can now replace it.

Focus2.jpg

Figure 2​

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.

Reactions: EnderPsp

EnderPsp

Apr 6, 2008
Lost in Europe :)
Thank you, good initiative! Hopefully won't be many in need of this but just in case :)
Could you add specialized replacing (screen, charger assembly, mic etc)? I know there's several videos out there. What would also be good is have a document attached here (pictures on image-hosts tend to get lost after some time) for reference.

ghettocruiser

Mar 29, 2011
There's a MUCH easier way....

When I was searching for a screen replacement for my Focus, I came across two options. One is the glass, digitizer and LCD combo. Which requires the steps in this write up, and the video that you'll find on youtube. Heat gun, new adhesive, etc.

Along with that option, there is another item that is the glass, digitizer, LCD already installed in the front half of the frame. It comes with the earphone jack already installed. And maybe a few other odd bits. All you have to do is take your phone apart, remove your motherboard with camera and vib motor, and install it in the new chassis. Thats it.

Best part about option #2... ITS THE SAME PRICE AS JUST THE GLASS/LCD/DIGI! I paid $95 shipped. In my opinion, you cant beat it. Even if the heat gun method was only 50 bucks...I would still pay more for the whole frame. Its so easy, so quick, and the best part, you dont have to worry about the new screen popping off because the adhesive failed.

Just my $.02!

J.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
There's a MUCH easier way....

When I was searching for a screen replacement for my Focus, I came across two options. One is the glass, digitizer and LCD combo. Which requires the steps in this write up, and the video that you'll find on youtube. Heat gun, new adhesive, etc.

Along with that option, there is another item that is the glass, digitizer, LCD already installed in the front half of the frame. It comes with the earphone jack already installed. And maybe a few other odd bits. All you have to do is take your phone apart, remove your motherboard with camera and vib motor, and install it in the new chassis. Thats it.

Best part about option #2... ITS THE SAME PRICE AS JUST THE GLASS/LCD/DIGI! I paid $95 shipped. In my opinion, you cant beat it. Even if the heat gun method was only 50 bucks...I would still pay more for the whole frame. Its so easy, so quick, and the best part, you dont have to worry about the new screen popping off because the adhesive failed.

Just my $.02!

J.

Purchasing the LCD/touch screen combo is definitely the way to go!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does your outer and inner screen having issue? Repairing the Samsung Focus i917 is a fairly simple task. This repair guide will walk you through the steps required to replace your AMOLED (LCD) and glass touchscreen digitizer combo. Follow this guide to insure a quick and safe repair for your Samsung smartphone.

This guide will help you to install the following Samsung Focus i917 part(s):
    • Samsung Focus i917 AMOLED (LCD) & Touch Screen Glass Digitizer Replacement

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tool
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • Hot Air Gun / Hair Dryer (optional)

Samsung Focus i917 apart guide:
      • First remove the back cover and the battery from the phone. Next remove the six small phillips screws. Once the screws are removed, use a safe pry tool to release the clips along the sides of the casing. Once the clips have been release you can remove the back housing from the rest of the phone.
      • Next ease the motherboard up slightly to allow access to the ribbon cable underneath the motherboard. Release this ribbon connector using a safe pry tool or screwdriver. With the ribbon released, you can now open the phone. Careful as the motherboard is still connected.
      • Using a safe pry tool release the ribbon clip, put the mother board on the side but be careful as it is still connected. Next, ease out the volume button. You will now be able to fully remove the motherboard from the rest of the phone.
      • You can now release the jaw connector on the back of the screen releasing the flex cable. Do this using a safe open pry tool to release the small flap on the back side of the connector.

Focus1.jpg

Figure 1​
      • Next using a hot hair dryer or heat gun, warm the front of the screen along the sides on the top to the bottom to warm the adhesive which is holding the screen to the frame of the phone. Use a safe pry tool to pry the glass away from the frame of the phone.
      • Ease the ribbon cables through the hole so that we can remove the screen, once the screen removed you can now replace it.

Focus2.jpg

Figure 2​

Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.