[Q] Galaxy S3 custom rom question?

Search This thread

LaosPerson

May 15, 2013
Okay so my cousin has a galaxy s3 from at&t running 4.1.2 or 4.1.1? forgot, touchwiz and rooted, is it safe to install a kitkat aosp rom without updating to 4.3 jellybean touchwiz and removing the knox on that then installing the custom rom?

Reactions: frankslan

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Okay so my cousin has a galaxy s3 from at&t running 4.1.2 or 4.1.1? forgot, touchwiz and rooted, is it safe to install a kitkat aosp rom without updating to 4.3 jellybean touchwiz and removing the knox on that then installing the custom rom?

Yes, you can install a kitkat based custom ROM without necessarily first updating to 4.3JB. The custom ROM would probably, like most custom ROMs do, retain your current bootloader. Whether or not it's safe to do that would depend on what ROM you are flashing. There is always a risk in any custom ROM and you would need to do your research thoroughly prior to proceeding.

LaosPerson

May 15, 2013
Yes, you can install a kitkat based custom ROM without necessarily first updating to 4.3JB. The custom ROM would probably, like most custom ROMs do, retain your current bootloader. Whether or not it's safe to do that would depend on what ROM you are flashing. There is always a risk in any custom ROM and you would need to do your research thoroughly prior to proceeding.

Okay sounds good, thanks, and yes I know how to correctly flash a ROM, done it probably more than 50 times with my old galaxy note lol

frankslan

Apr 8, 2013

So what rom would be a bad one with 4.1.? Of course flashing a rom that is not for our phone, but is there anything we should look out for when running roms with 4.1?

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
So what rom would be a bad one with 4.1.? Of course flashing a rom that is not for our phone, but is there anything we should look out for when running roms with 4.1?

I'd be wary about custom ROMs for several reasons. No easier way to brick or backdoor your phone so you'd need to do a lot of research. Making recommendations or criticisms would be against the rules of the forum so I cant really make direct references. Generally, however, you should avoid any rom that messes with your bootloader. Also, unless you are a developer or tester gathering development data, you'd do well to stick with stable versions and avoid nightlies. Finally, the well known and tested names are usually safer and have better user support.

Reactions: frankslan

frankslan

Apr 8, 2013
I'd be wary about custom ROMs for several reasons. No easier way to brick or backdoor your phone so you'd need to do a lot of research. Making recommendations or criticisms would be against the rules of the forum so I cant really make direct references. Generally, however, you should avoid any rom that messes with your bootloader. Also, unless you are a developer or tester gathering development data, you'd do well to stick with stable versions and avoid nightlies. Finally, the well known and tested names are usually safer and have better user support.

Oh man My phone just came it it's running on MJB but it rooted. Now I have to figure out what is safe to run on that. Man I thought this phone would be easy to install roms but it's seems way more tricky than most phones at least with the MJB bootloader. I really just want my acid sound mod.

Larry2999

Feb 7, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Oh man My phone just came it it's running on MJB but it rooted. Now I have to figure out what is safe to run on that. Man I thought this phone would be easy to install roms but it's seems way more tricky than most phones at least with the MJB bootloader. I really just want my acid sound mod.

You can still run a custom ROM with the MJB bootloader especially since it is rooted and probably de-knoxed already. Most custom ROMs don't dicker with your bootloader. In fact, I don't know of any which does. I have, however, heard several reports that some of them do muck with your bootloader which is why you need to proceed with caution.

frankslan

Apr 8, 2013
You can still run a custom ROM with the MJB bootloader especially since it is rooted and probably de-knoxed already. Most custom ROMs don't dicker with your bootloader. In fact, I don't know of any which does. I have, however, heard several reports that some of them do muck with your bootloader which is why you need to proceed with caution.

Cool thanks, that's what I've been reading I started another thread hopefully someone can give a definitive answer there. I remember reading in some thread there is a way to check the zip file and look for certain files but I have no idea where I saw that. I read so many threads and that was pages deep.

codemonkey98

Nov 5, 2013
Pensacola, FL
Cool thanks, that's what I've been reading I started another thread hopefully someone can give a definitive answer there. I remember reading in some thread there is a way to check the zip file and look for certain files but I have no idea where I saw that. I read so many threads and that was pages deep.

For future reference, your definite answer can be found there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.