Turn Chromecast off after use

Search This thread

zoso28

Feb 17, 2008
East Coast
I would like to eventually see Google allow some configuration options in the Chromecast setup app, and some "turn off display after X minutes of idle" option.

I agree with this.. I'm really surprised there aren't any settings whatsoever. I realize they're trying to keep the cost down & make it easy to operate but c'mon Google gimme some settings to play with!

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
I agree with this.. I'm really surprised there aren't any settings whatsoever. I realize they're trying to keep the cost down & make it easy to operate but c'mon Google gimme some settings to play with!

Not about cost...The only cost involved would be in paying the Developers to write it into the code....

It's kept as minimal as it is to keep up with some of the many minimalist brains that will buy one and if given half the chance would mess it up and stop it from working! LOL

So they pretty much made it idiot proof!

This is meant to be a plug it in and forget about it device.
Will even switch the input for those who have no clue how to do that like My Parents lets say (obviously not the folks around here!)

To have it go off means you have to turn it on to use it.
You would be surprised how many people would never use it if they had to do that! LOL

Reactions: a.broken.star

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Design flaw? Use a short USB cable to plug it into the USB port on the TV. When the TV turns off, the Chromecast turns off.

IIRC, it only draws something like 5W. That's not going to jack your electric bill up much at all.

My TV leaves USB power on even after I turn it off. As long as it's connected it's got USB power (Vizio 65" 3D)

I have a similar question, since it has shell can't we issue a powerdown or shutdown command to it? It's kinda like my Android TV stick..? it really doesn't turn off?

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
My TV leaves USB power on even after I turn it off. As long as it's connected it's got USB power (Vizio 65" 3D)

I have a similar question, since it has shell can't we issue a powerdown or shutdown command to it? It's kinda like my Android TV stick..? it really doesn't turn off?

You do realize don't you that your TV is sucking down way more electricity to leave the USB on than the CCast is? LOL

bhiga

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 13, 2010
Correct, always waiting for a command... like a Cylon.

People can barely wait long enough for their TV to turn on - they don't have the patience to wait for another device to boot up, and they won't remember to turn on their Chromecast before flaming Google when they don't see a cast option in YouTube.

So, makes the most sense to turn it on and leave it on. Complaints and returns cost a lot, especially for a $35 retail device.

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Correct, always waiting for a command... like a Cylon.

People can barely wait long enough for their TV to turn on - they don't have the patience to wait for another device to boot up, and they won't remember to turn on their Chromecast before flaming Google when they don't see a cast option in YouTube.

So, makes the most sense to turn it on and leave it on. Complaints and returns cost a lot, especially for a $35 retail device.

Yeah, I guess. I had an Android TV go whacky (had to lower CPU speed from 1.6Ghz to 1Ghz to get it stable) from leaving it running with the 1080p kernel with no heatsink on CPU but its still kikin' and working great... But Android TV was more expensive... I hope these devices are built to last... my temp is in the 60's

---------- Post added at 12:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

You do realize don't you that your TV is sucking down way more electricity to leave the USB on than the CCast is? LOL

No, but what I see is if I have a Chromecast connected to it, I can see it draw more power that not having a Chromecast connected to it. Don't get me wrong, I get your point, it's next to nothing, but I was just curious because to me, these things seem to boot way faster than Android TVs...

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Yeah, I guess. I had an Android TV go whacky (had to lower CPU speed from 1.6Ghz to 1Ghz to get it stable) from leaving it running with the 1080p kernel with no heatsink on CPU but its still kikin' and working great... But Android TV was more expensive... I hope these devices are built to last... my temp is in the 60's
I wouldn't worry about it unless it reaches the 70's (degrees C). If you aren't already using the HDMI Extender, use it - it should help the reduce temperature a tad by moving it away from the TV (which is a great heat source). Both my Chromecasts are away from the TV (one's on a long HDMI extension, the other is connected to my downconverter) and they run between 50 and 53 C.

According to the teardown, there's a big honking heatsink in the unit too, and contrary to some people's belief, a hot casing is not that bad - at least the case is conducting and radiating heat.As looking as that's how the product was designed, like Chromecast, then it's okay. If Chromecast whChromecast wasn't designed this way it would have a plastic case that would melt, cook the components, or both.

Asphyx

Dec 19, 2007
Android Wear
Google Pixel Watch
No, but what I see is if I have a Chromecast connected to it, I can see it draw more power that not having a Chromecast connected to it. Don't get me wrong, I get your point, it's next to nothing, but I was just curious because to me, these things seem to boot way faster than Android TVs...

Your right...it is...

But really the ideal way to do this is to have the unit stay powered but go into a standby mode (like your TV is doing), Then when you connect/cast to it a Wake on Lan signal wakes it up or switching to it's input sends a wake command via CEC.
You won't save much other than what little extra it takes to run at full power but it will allow you to get some savings without having to disable/enable or plug/unplug the device each time you wanted to use it.

The way I see Google approaching this device is as if it is a test bed/Proof of Concept unit alternative to Miracast that was kept cheap so it can be marketed to gauge interest in such devices (Much like the original (2012) Nexus7 was a stripped down Tablet to keep the price low) and once it has a foothold in the Market with plenty of App support they will add many features to the next generation unit for power users to upgrade to.

see my thread here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591132
for what kind of things I would love to see the next gen of CCast incorporate

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Your right...it is...

But really the ideal way to do this is to have the unit stay powered but go into a standby mode (like your TV is doing), Then when you connect/cast to it a Wake on Lan signal wakes it up or switching to it's input sends a wake command via CEC.
You won't save much other than what little extra it takes to run at full power but it will allow you to get some savings without having to disable/enable or plug/unplug the device each time you wanted to use it.

The way I see Google approaching this device is as if it is a test bed/Proof of Concept unit alternative to Miracast that was kept cheap so it can be marketed to gauge interest in such devices (Much like the original (2012) Nexus7 was a stripped down Tablet to keep the price low) and once it has a foothold in the Market with plenty of App support they will add many features to the next generation unit for power users to upgrade to.

see my thread here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2591132
for what kind of things I would love to see the next gen of CCast incorporate

What I don't like about the unit not being able to power off (like on some non-smart TV's which is what I use it - I have in my computer room a Sceptre 40" TV that powers the USB off when I turn the TV off and that's where I do all the CC testing) so I was wondering if it could be turned off with a command that way I don't rist a file system failure. (that was my point of view / reason of question) Not to save energy ;)

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
... I was wondering if it could be turned off with a command that way I don't rist a file system failure. (that was my point of view / reason of question) Not to save energy ;)
I'm sure someone @Team-Eureka can elaborate but I believe the critical stuff mounts read-only and is only made writable during an update?

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
I wouldn't worry about it unless it reaches the 70's (degrees C). If you aren't already using the HDMI Extender, use it - it should help the reduce temperature a tad by moving it away from the TV (which is a great heat source). Both my Chromecasts are away from the TV (one's on a long HDMI extension, the other is connected to my downconverter) and they run between 50 and 53 C.

According to the teardown, there's a big honking heatsink in the unit too, and contrary to some people's belief, a hot casing is not that bad - at least the case is conducting and radiating heat.As looking as that's how the product was designed, like Chromecast, then it's okay. If Chromecast whChromecast wasn't designed this way it would have a plastic case that would melt, cook the components, or both.

Yes. Hot casing is not bad, that's how it keeps it cool, transferring the heat out. Completely understand. And yes, I am running it with an HDMI cable and the CC is laying close to keyboard with a Female-Female HDMI converter.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

I'm sure someone @Team-Eureka can elaborate but I believe the critical stuff mounts read-only and is only made writable during an update?

Good to know. At least we can reflash Eureka back again booting with the USB stick and pressing the button, that should take care of everything. Something cool would be a backup/restore of settings :)

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
At this point, I think I'm in favour of this as well. The ChromeCast keeps powering my TV on after I am done watching it. No matter how long I'm using another source it still powers my TV back on after I turn it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
At this point, I think I'm in favour of this as well. The ChromeCast keeps powering my TV on after I am done watching it. No matter how long I'm using another source it still powers my TV back on after I turn it off.
Are you sure there isn't still some app running that's still connected to Chromecast?

I can see it doing this if it isn't at the Chromecast idle nature screen (it's still connected to a client and running the associated app), but if it's at the nature screen it shouldn't be powering the TV on.

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007

I would also check if your TV has the option to turn off this Auto-ON feature.

Funny...Different scenarios yet same feature would solves both.. :)

ddggttff3

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2009
Minnesota
Pretty much, the chromecast is designed to store most of its r/w files in /tmp, so if you just unplug its power to shut it off, there is no risk of corrupting any file system on the device.

Good to know. At least we can reflash Eureka back again booting with the USB stick and pressing the button, that should take care of everything. Something cool would be a backup/restore of settings :)
As long as you don't do a data wipe (aka factory reset) our ROM will remember your settings you have set in our Web Portal :D

m4f1050

Apr 20, 2007
Pretty much, the chromecast is designed to store most of its r/w files in /tmp, so if you just unplug its power to shut it off, there is no risk of corrupting any file system on the device.

Cool, that's how my firewall works (pfSense on WG Firebox)

As long as you don't do a data wipe (aka factory reset) our ROM will remember your settings you have set in our Web Portal :D

Nice!!! :good:

abuttino

Sep 12, 2006
Are you sure there isn't still some app running that's still connected to Chromecast?

I can see it doing this if it isn't at the Chromecast idle nature screen (it's still connected to a client and running the associated app), but if it's at the nature screen it shouldn't be powering the TV on.

Yup, a couple times I don't use ChromeCast and the TV still powers back on.

Also, the oddest thing, I've quadruple checked that CEC is disabled.

It just doesn't let the TV power off.

EDIT: It appears that if I turn ON CEC, it doesn't power the TV back on

Might put it on a home automation unit to stop this.

Last edited:

bhiga

Oct 13, 2010
Yup, a couple times I don't use ChromeCast and the TV still powers back on.

Also, the oddest thing, I've quadruple checked that CEC is disabled.

It just doesn't let the TV power off.

EDIT: It appears that if I turn ON CEC, it doesn't power the TV back on

Might put it on a home automation unit to stop this.
Now that's weird... Does your TV has some sort of auto-input detect or USB connection detect (if it's on TV's USB)?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If there is no power off button, the Chromecast will operate as long as the AC adapter is connected. It wastes the power when you do not use it and is an environmental issue. How come does it have such design flaw? Looking at the spec, it is CEC compatible but not every old TVs are CEC compatible. Google must fix it to save the energy as you know now energy saving is very heated subject.

Design flaw? Use a short USB cable to plug it into the USB port on the TV. When the TV turns off, the Chromecast turns off.

IIRC, it only draws something like 5W. That's not going to jack your electric bill up much at all.
    I hope this makes it to the ChromeCast vampire thread.

I came upon that thread by searching for "chromecast vampire bandwidth" and I was searching on that because I had discovered that unused CCs were sucking quite a bit of my bandwidth, about 1/2 gb/day. That is significant to me because my average allottment from my provider is only about 2 gb/day. That determination made by looking at my Tomato router.

So, maybe y'all are missing the point? The 2 watts of power is not significant but the bandwidth it uses is. At least, to me.
    I would like to eventually see Google allow some configuration options in the Chromecast setup app, and some "turn off display after X minutes of idle" option. That should save a tad bit of power if they can turn off the HDMI output entirely, plus TVs with automatic input switch would then switch back to whatever other input is active. Even if they can't turn off the output, at least it would help prevent burn-in.

Not about cost...The only cost involved would be in paying the Developers to write it into the code....

It's kept as minimal as it is to keep up with some of the many minimalist brains that will buy one and if given half the chance would mess it up and stop it from working! LOL

So they pretty much made it idiot proof!

This is meant to be a plug it in and forget about it device.
    Will even switch the input for those who have no clue how to do that like My Parents lets say (obviously not the folks around here!)

To have it go off means you have to turn it on to use it.
    You would be surprised how many people would never use it if they had to do that! LOL
    I hope this makes it to the ChromeCast vampire thread.

I came upon that thread by searching for "chromecast vampire bandwidth" and I was searching on that because I had discovered that unused CCs were sucking quite a bit of my bandwidth, about 1/2 gb/day. That is significant to me because my average allottment from my provider is only about 2 gb/day. That determination made by looking at my Tomato router.

So, maybe y'all are missing the point? The 2 watts of power is not significant but the bandwidth it uses is. At least, to me.

Good point, and while on that subject, many stock firmwares have the ability to block internet access for a specific device at certain times and days, so if you have such a device, that can be used as well.