Google TV hack!

Search This thread

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
not sure why people are bumping. GTV is dead. Unfortunately Google screwed us big time with this piece of crap.

jmlott

Jul 3, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Chill out Debbie Downer. If you don't like it, sell it. Google didn't screw anyone. I agree that the current software situation isn't what we all dreamed of, but it's better than anything else on the market... and I promise it will get better soon. Good things come to those who wait.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
Chill out Debbie Downer. If you don't like it, sell it. Google didn't screw anyone. I agree that the current software situation isn't what we all dreamed of, but it's better than anything else on the market... and I promise it will get better soon. Good things come to those who wait.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

Its not just the software, its the hardware too. It cannot pass 3d, it cannot pass dolby digital properly, it cant do macros. Its been out for 6mos now, how long are we supposed to wait?

Please no flame wars, but...

Its not just the software, its the hardware too. It cannot pass 3d, it cannot pass dolby digital properly, it cant do macros. Its been out for 6mos now, how long are we supposed to wait?

You know I really have to agree. Not with the hardware thing (gimme a break...most people wish 3D would die, Dolby 7.1 surround works perfectly fine for me, and not all of us want macros) but, I know that the devs that are working on this have been breaking there backs to try and find a software exploit. The problem that I have is with Google. Google, I love you and everything that you do for us, BUT...How freaking hard is it to upload the D**M SDK?!? I really cannot fathom why they have not gotten this to developers yet.

Last edited:

thewilliams1

Nov 18, 2010
My Revue was delivered today. I think I'm skipping over rooting for now in hopes of a software based tool once the market is opened.

Tonight's Test: Tracking down and watching the first episode of Spartacus and trying to find and watch the Nuggets v Suns game. If I succeed, GoogleTV Wins!

thewilliams1

Nov 18, 2010
My Revue was delivered today. I think I'm skipping over rooting for now in hopes of a software based tool once the market is opened.

Tonight's Test: Tracking down and watching the first episode of Spartacus and trying to find and watch the Nuggets v Suns game. If I succeed, GoogleTV Wins!

All aboard the FailBoat... I was able to view the game, but all in all, this device is extremely limited without root.

To be fair, I'm not disappointed in Google, as they are up against the networks and it's still a work in progress, however.... I purchased it through Dish Network. I was under the impression that I could use DishOnline, their OnDemand service, via this unit.. and guess what.. not supported... Awesome, right? I can watch all this content on my TV through the DVR, but Dish's OnDemand service via the DVR must be downloaded before it can be viewed .. it's not streamed.. therefor, you need to demand to watch something 40 minutes to an hour and a half (or more) before you want to watch, but you can watch it instantly on a browser .. except for the browser used with GoogleTV. Makes sense to me that Dish would not support this feature for Dish Subscribers on Dish equipment.

also.. The HBOGO app that comes stock?? not supported by Dish.

I'm giving this thing a chance .. I'll continue to play with it and see if I can muster the $180.00 plus $4.00 per month value out of it, but at this point it's looking bleak.

Moral of the story: ROOT it if you got it.

suzook

Jan 25, 2010
New update coming out today...Its NOT the market, but some media player improvements..hopefully my rooted box dosnt update.

Ep3n3wp

Aug 8, 2010
Newport beach
Is the update any good? When you search does it look in netflix now? I will have to check for update when I get home took revue off network last week

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA Premium App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google tv rooted!

We finally got root on the revue box and have released a package to manual update the box to the most recent revision, the current hack requires an un-updated box but we have already made a lot of progress on a unofficial sdk and toolchain.

Here are some videos of it all:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6wOqV0UzMo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvw4K0az2hU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWaA6VRP0v0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ysG0SF2m5Q

Here is the README for the hack and a little bit about all the files and the process.
    http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/Steps_to_get_root

Toolchain and SDK Info can be found at:
    http://www.gtvhacker.com/index.php/GTv-OS_(AndroidTV)

You can also find a link for the install package above, I didn't want to post it on here in case it violates any xda rules.

We all idle on IRC at irc.freenode.net #gtvhacker . If you have any questions, comments, or ideas to better the package please stop by and chat.

Thanks
    Zenofex
    GTVHacker Team
    NSZ-GS7 can now be rooted with custom recovery: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qe6pPiJFV5k

Don't know about the release date though...
    I know this is an old thread, but if somebody still has his Google TV, can somebody upload the launcher .apk to an XDA reply? (Im pretty sure is less than 20MB)
    I want to see how it looks. I've just heard of Google TV.

Old thread all right. I still have my GT1 in a closet somewhere. I might try to root it eventually and if I do I'll upload that.
    I'm starting to think the easiest way to make this platform open (apps, root, etc) is to make a bootable USB stick, and boot it using the bootloader, not even disturbing the on-board FLASH.Searching the web shows that this bootloader has been used on other Atom CExxxx platforms, anyone know of other platforms that use it, or have any experience with it?

Looking at the boot.img and recovery.img in the update.zip, they don't seem to follow the same pattern as the Android .img files. It would be great if someone can decipher them as they appear to be compressed (and not gzip as far as I can tell.) The boot.img is around 18MB, so we definitely need to figure out how to extract the contents. Extracting the recovery may shed some clues on what can be done with the recovery.

It will be great to get the Sony update.zip as well to compare with the Logitech.
    OK GUYS...

I've tried everything that I can think of to get into recovery...played with reset button for an hour, tried ADB'ing in over network and USB, and tried update.zip over USB. Any ideas because I am all out. We may have to go inside to get access to this thing...