Manually edit your max MMS size limit

Search This thread

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
Android 2.1 currently has an issue with image compression for MMS. The default sms/mms client in Android does compress images, but it doesnt compress enough. It compresses all images so that it has a maximum image size of 2592x1944. However, for many carriers, the file size limit is around 300kb which will make you unable to send the MMS.
Luckily, there is a quick and easy way to manually edit the max sending size value..

I posted a quick guide here

Cyanogen is solving this issue in the next version of his Android ROM, but for everyone who wants a fix now or dont use Cyanogen, this guide should solve your issues

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
Yes it will I think, as you need root in order to push the mms.apk back in as far as i know

Untouchab1e

Apr 11, 2007
I dont think Ive heard of a MMS receiving size limit anywhere, so dont think there is one..

norazi

Mar 30, 2010
my n1 camera is set to take photos in 1600x1200 only (2mp?). I find that any higher is pointless because you are limitedby the low quality sensor/optics... so you are just wasting resources by using 5mp. also, a higher mp setting usually adds more noise.

krazichinaman

Mar 20, 2008
You can set the max size limit on Handcent.
Settings > Send message settings > Maximum MMS size

I have noticed that people on AT&T can only receive mms at 500k or less (I'm sending pics from Tmobile).

shotta35

Nov 30, 2008
NYC & Germany
You can set the max size limit on Handcent.
Settings > Send message settings > Maximum MMS size

I have noticed that people on AT&T can only receive mms at 500k or less (I'm sending pics from Tmobile).

T-Mobile i think went up to 1MB max size but AT&T uses 600KB. Most other carriers are only 300KB (maybe 350KB) still however however.

I generally lower the resolution of my photos too for exactly that reason. No point in sending "5mp" images for people to view on a ".3 - .8mp" screen. :) I figured 2-3mp is good enough to save to email later on or view on the PC as well as send via MMS.

subvecto

Aug 28, 2008
Since installing whatsapp, stopped using sms and mms, other than replying incomings, no worries on mms size limitations anymore...

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts