FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Official projectM (Milkdrop) for Android thread

55 posts
Thanks Meter: 30

By psperl, Member on 22nd December 2011, 04:38 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
projectM homepage

Carm and I have released projectM for Android. This is a complete rewrite of the renderer in OpenGL ES 2 to improve performance on our devices. We've been working on it for almost a year, and we figured it was time to get it out there.

Android Market

Amazon Appstore link coming soon

Features:

Preset Browser
Preset Ratings
Preset Search
Music Control (Google Music + PowerAMP)
Album Art and integrated music browsing
Transparent music control overlay
Multi-touch interative drawing
Automatic Switching between Microphone and Audio Input
Live Wallpaper and Standalone app modes
Downloads presets at first start
FPS Counter and Limiter
Honeycomb/ICS Action Bar support
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to psperl For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift psperl Ad-Free
22nd December 2011, 04:39 AM |#2  
OP Member

More
What's New:

3.29:

PowerAMP Support (Enable in Settings)
ICS Stability Improvements
Hide Soft Buttons in ICS
Live Wallpaper will not reset each time you navigate to the home screen
Redesigned Settings
Minor rendering fixes

3.28:

Pixel Shaders (Milkdrop 2.0) - Awesome New Effects!
Free Downloadable Preset Packs
Stability Improvements

3.25:

Major Performance Enhancements
Single Preset Mode for Live Wallpaper
Revamped Preset Browser
Buttons for Lock/Next/Random/Previous/Search
Stars instead of Mushrooms for preset ratings
I loved the mushrooms but most people didn't know what they were for, stars are more obvious
Untested x86 support
What's New Dialog

3.21:

Settings stored in file on sd card instead of database

3.19:

Left/Middle/Right tapping on the screen selects Prev/Random/Next preset respectively
Search button on preset browser
Preset Browser scrolls with selected preset
Menu/Action Bar Icons and improvements
Performance Enhancements (drawing waveforms)
Ability to hide Settings button on HoneyComb/ICS

3.18:

Performance enhancements
Honeycomb/ICS Action Bar support
Framerate limiter and on-screen fps display

3.16:

Live Wallpaper is now multi-touch sensitive
Music Player controls added (Stock Player and Google Music)
Option to re-download presets if anything goes wrong
Many other bugfixes and improvements!
22nd December 2011, 10:38 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Excellent!

How is the Tegra 2 support? Looking to try it out on the Atrix.
22nd December 2011, 11:09 AM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 560

Donate to Me
More
I bought it the other day, and it runs pretty well on my Samsung Epic 4G.

And don't let the android market fool ya, it's android requirement is v2.3.3 not v2.3.7.

=]
22nd December 2011, 06:20 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhuy

Excellent!

How is the Tegra 2 support? Looking to try it out on the Atrix.

At least on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, it runs a little slower than I would like at high quality settings(1024 texsize = 15-30fps depending on preset). If you lower the texsize to 512 in settings (which is still pretty sharp), it helps a lot.

I am not sure why it runs slower on the Tegra 2, but I suspect its because the GeForce ULP is not a variant of the PowerVR GPU that most phones use and the OpenGL ES drivers don't like one or two calls I'm making.

I fully intend to get it buttery smooth on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, so you can buy this with confidence. If I am not able to make it 100% within a few weeks, I'll refund you

I plan on working on improving Tegra 2 performance over the next few days, so you should see improvement soon. I have not tried it on an Atrix, so for all I know, it could work better than my tablet.
24th December 2011, 10:15 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
awesome
so glad to see this finally made it to the market, there are some presets that seem to run smoother in androp, hopefully some shared knowledge will get that sorted out, already told the dev about it anyway, just had to post something cause I'm too much of a noob to figure out how to subscribe to this thread any other way :-/
24th December 2011, 12:56 PM |#7  
Flag San Diego, CA
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Awesome I never thought I'd be able to have milkdrop in my pocket from when I started using it in winamp years ago. I'm also on an Atrix and am looking forward to improved Tegra 2 support. One problem though, Market complains that my device isn't compatible with the app. Any idea why? I'm running a CM7 nightly which is up to 2.3.7. Not sure what the other requirements of the manifest file are...
24th December 2011, 10:42 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded068

Awesome I never thought I'd be able to have milkdrop in my pocket from when I started using it in winamp years ago. I'm also on an Atrix and am looking forward to improved Tegra 2 support. One problem though, Market complains that my device isn't compatible with the app. Any idea why? I'm running a CM7 nightly which is up to 2.3.7. Not sure what the other requirements of the manifest file are...

The market is strange. I don't understand how it decides who can install something. It says the Atrix is supported in the developer's console, so I'm not even sure where to look next.

It should be up on the Amazon market soon, although with their one week delay for updates, it will be out of date most of the time.

We released version 3.10 today, mostly centered around startup performance and stability. It helps a lot with the live wallapaper.
24th December 2011, 10:43 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarded068

Yeah, I will be looking at the presets you poinetd out next week after the holidays. Performance stuff on that level erquires more concentration than I have available right now.
25th December 2011, 07:59 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Looks to be running fairly well on the Atrix but seems to slow done a bit when there's a lot of lines drawn on the screen. Also tends to force close every now and then.

Running CM7 FYI.

BTW, is there a way to make this dependent on only media sound output rather than mic input?
27th December 2011, 03:58 AM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhuy

Looks to be running fairly well on the Atrix but seems to slow done a bit when there's a lot of lines drawn on the screen. Also tends to force close every now and then.

Running CM7 FYI.

BTW, is there a way to make this dependent on only media sound output rather than mic input?

We are working on allowing you to select only mic or audio input instead of the aut omode that projectM currently uses. Technically, projectM already supports thi feature, but we don't have a settings screen yet. I know, it sounds stupid. projectM is pretty boring with no sound input at all, so we made auto the defualt and figured we would add the option eventually for people like you who know what is going on. Expect it in a week or so.

As for the FC issue, can you give me any info? I would love to fix it for you.

We just released 3.13 to the Market. 3.11 and 3.12 were big crash fixers, 3.13 not so much.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)