[WARINING] DO NOT install a recovery from 4.1 on a 4.2 tablet!

Search This thread

ocapad

Jan 2, 2013
What i mean is That i could instal a recovery with out hardbricking my tf300.

Enviado desde mi ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T usando Tapatalk 2

joelalmeidaptg

May 25, 2012
What i mean is That i could instal a recovery with out hardbricking my tf300.

How did you reinstalled OTA without a working recovery? o0

There are many reports on Q&A of people that hard bricked their tablets, they broke even their fastboot by installing a wrong recovery. Godly was an example of a "experienced" user that ended up with an unrecoverable tablet.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using CROMI

ocapad

Jan 2, 2013
The oficial twrp.blob file v2.4.4.0 didnt work because it didnt mount any partition but i found a modified file That solve this problem. After flashing this recovery ive could instal the ota firmwere but losing my recovery. After i just reinstal the recovery.

pcoussa

Jan 5, 2013
Hobart
www.mytabletcase.com
Joel! You have just saved my tablet man! I was just about to flash an incompatible ROM and somehow came across this thread.

A BIG thanks to you mate!

Cheers

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

lk2l

Apr 1, 2013
untill you ave fastboot access or adb acces should be possible to restore the system to stock version with out big big trouble..

VICODAN

Apr 27, 2011
San Jose, CA
Guys, I think this post is needed and probably should be sticked on all TF300T forums. I saw a lot of people bricked their tablets for good on Q&A because they didn't read all the info or were just careless. So, if you are on 4.2.1 firmware version, or thinking about upgrading, read this info carefully!

If your tablet has 4.2.1 Android version from Asus, DO NOT FLASH A RECOVERY THAT WAS ACTUALLY MADE FOR 4.1 TABLETS! You will end up on a PERMANENT BRICK with no solution until now. You won't be able to use fastboot ever again. You won't be able to flash anything ever again. You will be stuck with a bricked tablet!

Older ROMs won't work with the new bootloader, such as CM10.1 and ParanoidAndroid ! READ THE ROM THREAD AND ENSURE IT SAYS IT WORKS ON A 4.2 BOOTLOADER! If you are unsure, then READ THE THREAD ANSWERS, ASK AND SEARCH! Five minutes of search can save you from ruin your tablet.

OLDER KERNELS WON'T WORK ON THE NEW BOOTLOADER!! Don't even try to flash TF700T ones!!

If you are looking for a Recovery for a 4.2.1 bootloader (and a complete guide for updating), read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2187982

STAY AWAY FROM CWM FOR NOW!

Here you have a list of ROMs that are compatible with the new bootloader and are safe to flash once you are on 4.2.1 firmware:

I hope I was clear enough :p

Yes this happened to me. Is there any fix?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Ive instaled twrp 2.4.4.0 In my tf300 with android 4.2.1 and it worked but it not mount any directory , so i cant instal any rom . Next i found a custom twrp recovery and it mount all but i try to instal PA from aospa and it not boots , so i reinstal OTA with any problem .

Can you provide the steps to do this?

spikehome

Feb 21, 2011
Nijmegen
I bricked mine to see post HERE

got it today back from asus.
it is runnung now 4.1
want to install cyanogemod again but a bit afraid now:silly:

Rhian

chrismine

Sep 29, 2012
Just to make sure – I have TWRP unpatched and if I want to install JB4.2 it will work as the recovery is already installed. Not AFTER upgrading to 4.2...
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question as I have bricked another TF300TG before.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300TG using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Last edited:

splashg

Apr 10, 2013
The oficial twrp.blob file v2.4.4.0 didnt work because it didnt mount any partition but i found a modified file That solve this problem. After flashing this recovery ive could instal the ota firmwere but losing my recovery. After i just reinstal the recovery.

What "modified file" was this?

pcoussa

Jan 5, 2013
Hobart
www.mytabletcase.com
Just to make sure – I have TWRP unpatched and if I want to install JB4.2 it will work as the recovery is already installed. Not AFTER upgrading to 4.2...
Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question as I have bricked another TF300TG before.

This is correct. On the TWRP site you will see a JB variant that has 42 in its file name. This is the one you want after you have the 4.2 boot loader.

Just flash it the normal way and you're right to go!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

chrismine

Sep 29, 2012
Again to make doubly sure, I do the upgrade to JB 4.2 first with existing recovery which is now 2.5 JB version and then install the TWRP 4.2 recovery?

grcsus51

Mar 25, 2013
There is no solution?

I was a victim of flashing the 2.5 TWRP.

Now I only have access to APX Mode. Is there anything I can do?

Vep-User

Apr 19, 2013
TWRP 4.2.2.0 Mod resqued me.

I've been sitting on the TF300T 10.6.1.8 update for a month now simply because I didn't see a reason to update from JB 4.1.
Today I installed the update which removed my recovery, forced TWRP to present me with a "Password" prompt (once I reinstalled it), and
locked me out of my units storage. After a couple of hour of searching, a link brought me back here to xda where I found a link for the
team at twrp, to a modified copy of TWRP v.4.2.2.0.

I fastbooted the TWRP, and installed "root-signed & UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25" at the same time.

Everything is back to normal; No Worries!
:fingers-crossed:

P.S. I had installed over a rooted Asus version JB 4.1, so my unit was never bricked, it just wasn't rootable.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guys, I think this post is needed and probably should be sticked on all TF300T forums. I saw a lot of people bricked their tablets for good on Q&A because they didn't read all the info or were just careless. So, if you are on 4.2.1 firmware version, or thinking about upgrading, read this info carefully!

If your tablet has 4.2.1 Android version from Asus, DO NOT FLASH A RECOVERY THAT WAS ACTUALLY MADE FOR 4.1 TABLETS! You will end up on a PERMANENT BRICK with no solution until now. You won't be able to use fastboot ever again. You won't be able to flash anything ever again. You will be stuck with a bricked tablet!

Older ROMs won't work with the new bootloader, such as CM10.1 and ParanoidAndroid ! READ THE ROM THREAD AND ENSURE IT SAYS IT WORKS ON A 4.2 BOOTLOADER! If you are unsure, then READ THE THREAD ANSWERS, ASK AND SEARCH! Five minutes of search can save you from ruin your tablet.

OLDER KERNELS WON'T WORK ON THE NEW BOOTLOADER!! Don't even try to flash TF700T ones!!

If you are looking for a Recovery for a 4.2.1 bootloader (and a complete guide for updating), read this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2187982 Don't do it with any other tutorial: they are for 4.1 bootloaders!

STAY AWAY FROM CWM FOR NOW!

If you don't want to download TWRP from the post above and want to do it from the official TWRP website ensure that you use the correct version for your bootloader! Any other one will brick your tablet! Read the list below:
    There is NO CONFIRMED WAY FOR DOWNGRADING, so if you want to upgrade to 4.2.1, keep in mind that you may never be able to return to 4.1 bootloader.

Just tried downloading the oldest update image from ASUS' official website and flashing it manually via fastboot, I managed to downgrade to 4.1.1 and flash recovery-jb.img without any mounting/bootloop issue whatsoever.

You just need to unpack the official zip, get the blob and flash it inside the "staging" partition. The tablet will repartition the whole NAND and reinstall 4.1.1. (obviously after flashing you need to wipe /data to prevent bootloops -- /emmc will be formatted while flashing)
    Just tried downloading the oldest update image from ASUS' official website and flashing it manually via fastboot, I managed to downgrade to 4.1.1 and flash recovery-jb.img without any mounting/bootloop issue whatsoever.

You just need to unpack the official zip, get the blob and flash it inside the "staging" partition. The tablet will repartition the whole NAND and reinstall 4.1.1. (obviously after flashing you need to wipe /data to prevent bootloops -- /emmc will be formatted while flashing)

Well, didn't know that ;) I'm removing that part from the post

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using CROMI