[ROOT] Superboot - Nexus 10 root solution

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
  • Superboot r1 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: f53825a2df09277f899b6738b3a059d5
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

dexteristheshiz

May 2, 2011

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

P

I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

So this won't wipe anything at all, right?

Reactions: TheFamilyMan

treyy

Nov 19, 2010
the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device

rufus-

Apr 20, 2012
the superuser not. But u have to unlock it before and that wipe your device

How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup¿?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
I almost asked if anyone could confirm that this works... then I saw that it was written by Paul O'Brien himself.

Awesome!

Correct, unlocking does though.

How can i save all program, data, internal storage, aplications, etc, before unlock bootloader?
comand "adb backup" save all this? and then, how restore the backup¿?

This method of root changus the stock recovery? Or only installs ths superuser whitout changes on any stock system?

For OTA updates, i need to relock recovery or not?

Thank you

No recovery change, just Superuser, no need to relock for OTA.

P

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Smiling Cat

AjSvb

Nov 17, 2012
So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
So I've had my Nexus 10 a few days and unlocked only. Can I use this as is or do I need to wipe my device first? Noob here and have been hearing horror stories of boot loops etc with the other methods so this appeals to me....won't lose any of my data or app installs because it's already unlocked right?

This does not wipe your device. Unlocking it does. If you have already unlocked, this will not erase anything. Just an easy way to get root.

rufus-

Apr 20, 2012
Thank you. I rooted tablet easy.
This method not change stock recovery. Then...
With bootloader unlocked can i update by ota? Keep root updating by ota?

punzada

Feb 4, 2008
+1 confirmed rooted while on locked bootloader, made esp easy with "naked drivers" package.

rufus-

Apr 20, 2012
wow, if i konw this, i dont unlock my bootloader :( Now I have unlocked boot.... I wait dont have any problems with ota updates!

eager27

Jul 20, 2012
Is there anything special or additional that needs to be done in order to root without unlocking? In other words, can I just follow the op steps as if I have unlocked the boot loader?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

P
    Just root 4.2.1, then use root keeper from market, you won't need to use this method again.

This will work fine with 4.2.2.

P

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Works great with [ADB/FB/APX Driver] Universal Naked Driver 0.72

OTA should work fine and likely stay rooted too.

P
    Thanks Paul and this works great with this new Naked Driver for people that are having problems getting this to work and connect to Windows box. :^}
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998650

---------- Post added at 03:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Ive tried over and over again to follow the instructions on page 1 but seem to get no where I try to unlock the device using the fastboot-windows but that just flashes up cmd black box then vanishes instantly when i try the superboot-windows it just stays flashing waiting for device and goes no further. Any help would be appreciated.

nexus 10 info.

bootloader version MANTALJ12
    carrier info. NONE
    lock state. LOCKED.

Try the Naked driver I posted about to connect and make sure usb debugging is turned on...
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1998650

I could root easily with bootloader locked.
    PAULY! YOU SWEET SON OOOOO AAA!!!

Confirmed, Locked bootloader WITH root access! No wiping, no issues, just pure stock Nexus 10 with root access! And too think everyone is saying that the patched exploit since 4.2.1 prevents this & forces >fastboot oem unlock - Not the case folks! On both a WalMart & a Play Store Nexus 10, I have rooted without unlocking & WITHOUT wiping.

FOr those having issues, the USB driver has thrown a few loops.

I find the best way is to manually delete your Android device from Windows Device Manager, then delete the drivers manually via USBDeview & then install the Nexus 4 USB driver or the Naked USB Driver. You have to install it to both the device & to the fastboot device, which means once while in the OS & once while in bootloader. To activate USB debugging for this, you need to go into setting/about device & tap "Android Version" 7 times. That will force show Developer options in the settings menu, where you can select "enable USB debugging".

One you have USB debuggin running & the new drivers installed, just click on Pauly's superboot-windows batch file or call it via cmd windows. Voila...You are unlocked & saved yourself an hour of re-installing apk's or waiting for new back ups via adb.

P

Awesome!