discussion of s-off

Search This thread

scotty1223

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 3, 2011
Didn't someone say the rl changes to rh when you get s-off?
S-on rl
S-off rh

I'm pretty skeptical, the second shot fails to show you the Verizon on top of the phone. The s-off ones aren't branded right?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
my developer s-off rezound is rl. id say that it has nothing to do with s-on/off

Thadrow

Jan 24, 2008
Patience is all we needed . We eventually got unlocked, then ICS leaks, now sense 4.0 with a rumored ics ots friday now maybe s off . Great . Aosp and cm9 hopefully a little after all that too. :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
The rezound is an amazing phone, makes sense to me. I'm hoping for an AOKP too.

Why? I mean, for devs s-off doesn't really do anything, unless there's a way to do it without the HTC Unlock, which might mitigate their concerns about the warranty. It doesn't sound like this s-off method mitigates the warranty issue, for those that have it.

mighty_markus12

Sep 18, 2011
Why? I mean, for devs s-off doesn't really do anything, unless there's a way to do it without the HTC Unlock, which might mitigate their concerns about the warranty. It doesn't sound like this s-off method mitigates the warranty issue, for those that have it.

that's why alot of them migrated to the gneuxs because the bootloader can be easily unlocked then relocked to a factory state. it's the same reason alot of moto devices don't get alot of dev supoort. as i said i "heard" if we had s-off alot of other devs might be coming over. nothing is set in stone.

i do wish these guys luck though in achieving s-off for us.

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011
Why? I mean, for devs s-off doesn't really do anything,

i think its more of an "ease of dealing with things" aspect. while its true,htcdev unlock lets you flash roms and kernels,its a PITA with android info documents,and either launching recovery from fastboot,or jumping thru hoops to get hboot to flash your kernel.

plus,on a personal level an s-off device is muc more fun to have.

i effin knew as soon as i traded my gnex for an s-off rezound that some sort of exploit would be found :D

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
that's why alot of them migrated to the gneuxs because the bootloader can be easily unlocked then relocked to a factory state. it's the same reason alot of moto devices don't get alot of dev supoort. as i said i "heard" if we had s-off alot of other devs might be coming over. nothing is set in stone.

i do wish these guys luck though in achieving s-off for us.

prolly just to get root access. after you are radio s-off,it wont matter if youre unlocked or not

Right, but if you're unlocked then even s-off won't bring you back to factory state, unless they figure out a way to use the s-off to get you back to "s-on locked." Otherwise your phone will still show relocked, even if you return from s-off to s-on. And even then, HTC still knows you ran the HTC Unlock tool because you have to get the keys from them.

Edit--basically, s-off is cool, but s-off that requires HTC Unlock seems of dubious utility. It's totally cool, and I welcome the development, but I'm at a loss to figure out what S-off gives me other than flashing radios, which doesn't seem necessary.

Last edited:

mighty_markus12

Sep 18, 2011
Right, but if you're unlocked then even s-off won't bring you back to factory state, unless they figure out a way to use the s-off to get you back to "s-on locked." Otherwise your phone will still show relocked, even if you return from s-off to s-on. And even then, HTC still knows you ran the HTC Unlock tool because you have to get the keys from them.

id just like to be able to flash radios separate and change the fugly splash screen. :D

for some reason unknown to me s-on just drives certain devs away.

Reactions: jscarano

*Madmoose*

Aug 13, 2011

Edit--basically, s-off is cool, but s-off that requires HTC Unlock seems of dubious utility. It's totally cool, and I welcome the development, but I'm at a loss to figure out what S-off gives me other than flashing radios, which doesn't seem necessary.

I think one of the key things about the HTC unlock tool is that you may have requested it, but they have no way of proving that you used it on your phone without having it physically in front of them. I think people worry too much about that tool.

tekhna

Dec 31, 2007
I think one of the key things about the HTC unlock tool is that you may have requested it, but they have no way of proving that you used it on your phone without having it physically in front of them. I think people worry too much about that tool.

Yeah, I think so too. I don't really give a crap that I may have voided my warranty, it's a non-issue for me.

scotty1223

Jan 3, 2011

it gives you the option to change radios,spash screend,run a patched hboot(for eng commands) and run older RUUs.

if youre willing to htcdev unlock,then the warrany isnt an issue. with s-off you can get back to locked instead of relocked (ive done it on other devices)

you could always claim you never unlocked,and your rezound came with s-off :D

not to mention s-off means write to boot from recovery,so no more android info files,flastboot flashing,etc :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We were sworn to confidentiality until the exploit is released....

But yes, it works! I have seen it first hand.

But YES, S-OFF is coming your way once that team perfects the process. This I can assure.

This is all I can and will say. If I say too much HTC could close the loophole. Just like every other exploit... So dont be upset that I cannot give details.

-Scott
    The key word is hacked. If you don't want the risk of running hacked software then don't root. Or get an iphone. Otherwise grow a set of testicles or don't post.
    And Wtf is up with all this crying? They will release when they are ready. Otherwise figure it out for yourself. It's that simple.
    I notice the biggest problem makers on xda are people who contribute nothing and expect everything.
    Just saying..
    Rant over

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium
    Excellent. I just achieved s-off on the second try, after drinking since 2 this afternoon on the golf course. Was running the ICS Leak before doing the s-off method. Steps I took, if it helps anyone:

1. Downloaded the proper file for my situation.
    2. Unzipped contents, placed the 3 files in the same folder as ADB/Fastboot.
    3. Removed sd card I normally use, replaced with original Dinc sd card.
    4. With phone booted normally into BAMF Evita 2.0, hooked up USB cable.
    5. Went into folder containing s-off files and ran Controlbear as administrator.
    6. Watched it do its thing and did the "wire trick" when prompted.
    7. Phone rebooted a few times, ultimately booting into the rom I was using.
    8. Replaced SD card that I normally use, and wrote this post.

This is what worked for me, your experience may vary.
    I dunno con it probably would of been better if they sent out private invites to beta test this instead of making it public. You cant open a thread and expect people to not post. Plus we have members flaunting off s-off that doesnt help matters either.

I don't agree. They aren't members of the Rez community so they don't know who to invite. Plus, they wanted testers as soon as possible and waiting for people to respond to emails/PM would take alot longer. If you ask in a thread for people not to post, people should be able to listen. If you can't follow simple instructions you don't deserve S-OFF. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to sit down, shut up, and just wait. Most people are adults here. I am amazed that alot of people can't act like one. People flaunting S-OFF? They risked a $600 device to people they don't even know. You should be greatful that some people were willing to test and spend alot of time helping to improve the process. It is also nice to have several different people proving that it works. It is also important that people are starting S-OFF only threads like the splash screen thread. If work on that stuff doesn't start now, everyone is gonna S-OFF their device when the process is released and have nothing to do with it. It will be a hurry up and wait situation. It is also MUCH less annoying than your continued complaints about not having AOSP, the continued pestering of developers on how RIL is going, and the general vibe that I get from you about how you would have rather had a Nexus. Please just wait patiently. If you don't agree with me, please take it to PM, I am happy to talk with you there. However we need to get this back on topic.
    So i cleaned the thread.

I would rather not have to do it again.

So how about from here on out you take your trolling of one another to PM. If you have an issue that you can't get worked out or you think someone is doing something they shouldn't get a hold of a moderator. This is a much better idea than trying to prove people wrong or prove that you have the biggest e-peen.

The "issue" is currently handled, please continue with the rest of your evening.