[How To] Retrieve MSL and speed up internet faster

Search This thread

yoboii23

Oct 5, 2009
Original Post HERE By techwerkz

Many many thankx to him!! :D

If you want to thank me, thank him insted :D

This will give us something to do until we get root :(

I only updated some pics and minor information. Also made it a lil easier on the Evo 3D community :p

TO SPEED UP YOUR INTERNET... instructions from Avalaunchmods (Edited)

1. Get your MSL, by calling Sprint or by using CDMA workshop like i explain below
2. After you have your MSL go to your phone and type ##3282#
3. Click Edit Mode
4. Click Advanced
5. Scroll down to RTSP/HTTP Setting
6. Change RTSP proxy IP to 0.0.0.0 or You can leave this blank if you like
7. Change RTSP proxy Port to 0 (Zero)
8. HTTP proxy IP to 0.0.0.0 or You could leave this blank if you like
9. HTTP proxy port to 0 (Zero)
10.Go enjoy Downloads and a .20-.60 mbps increase in 3G speeds!

*********Original settings if you want to revert back.

Original settings

rtsp proxy ip: rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
rtsp proxy port: 554
http proxy ip: pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
http proxy port: 8085

TO GET YOUR MSL USING CDMA WORKSHOP

Please be very careful with CDMA Workshop. I am not responsible for your curiosity, or stupidity!

I have included screenshots for installing the drivers on Windows 7 x64. This seems to be a little different for most users, so I hope this helps. Windows XP should be pretty similar to below. You can enter Device Manager the same way. Some of the prompts will be slightly different, but at the end most of the same dialogs will appear.

Prerequisites:
CDMA Workshop - http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html
The Demo version will be able to retrieve the MSL.

HTC Diag Drivers - http://www.techwerkz.com/evo/HTCDiagDrivers.zip
I have compiled this zip which includes both x86 (32 bit), and x64 (64 bit) drivers for HTC diagnostics. I have successfully tested the x64 drivers on Windows 7, and all works without issue.

The Fun Part
Step 1 - Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone.

Step 2 - Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. When prompted to install the drivers use the drivers from the ZIP provided above.

Windows will probably not be able to find the drivers:
1.jpg

You will need to manually install the drivers from Device Manager. Quickest way to get there is to press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type in devmgmt.msc:
2.jpg

Once Device Manager is open you will see it cannot find the HTC Diag driver :(:
3.jpg

Right click on HTC Diag, and go to Update Driver. You will be prompted with the following, choose Browse my Computer. Then choose Let me Pick. Click Next. Click Have Disk. Browse to the drivers you downloaded, and choose the proper INF file. Click Next. Then finally Yes, if prompted :eek::
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

If all went well you will see it installing the driver. Then finally let you know it was successfully installed!
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Step 3 - Run CDMA Workshop you downloaded earlier.

Once CDMA Workshop is open click the word Port found on the left:
A2izy0j

You will be given the options to select the correct COM port (Please note the demo version will only go to COM9. If you have an issue with this please follow this tutorial written by me to lower you port if you have one above 9.....

1. Connect your phone to computer and dial ##3424#

2. Go to device manager and double click modem.. you should see something named HTC USB modem #2 if you see that do a right click and click propeties (it might freeze for a few seconds, if nothing happens try again.)

3. Once the propeties window opens click on the tab advance.

4. Look for Advance Port Settings, and click it.

5 .A new window should open.. now u should be able to see the option to change the COM Port its called COM Port Number... Make sure you change it to port 9 and below... Once you done changing the port press ok, ok and exit device manager

You succesfully change your port! and now you are able to use CMDA Workshop!

Y98ze3a

Once the correct COM port is selected click Connect:
9ifULb5

NIk2YxY

Head over to the Security tab and click Read under the SPC / User Lock section:
6uJjkfy

If all has gone well you will be given your MSL code! It is the 6 digit number listed after pressing Read. Great Success! :D

Testing
The following sections should prompt for your MSL code. Enter what you have retrieved to find out if it is in fact the correct MSL code.

##data# (##3282#)
##debug#(##33284#)
##diag#(##3424#)
##svn#(##786#)
##prev#(##7738#)
##vocoder# (##8626337#)

If you followed the steps correctly, the code should work.

Hope this helps everyone with finding their MSL when Sprint will not give it to you. Again, I am not responsible for what you do with this information. This is a use at your own risk method!

Last edited:

drob77777

Nov 23, 2009
South Bend
I already had my msl. followed the other forum can confirm increase in speeds thank you quick note on evo 3d after hitting advanced scroll down to bottom its in the rtsp/http setting

by the way this is very easy if you already have your msl

Last edited:

yoboii23

Oct 5, 2009
I already had my msl. followed the other forum can confirm increase in speeds thank you quick note on evo 3d after hitting advanced scroll down to bottom its in the rtsp/http setting

by the way this is very easy if you already have your msl

Oh yeah!! I forgot about that lol :)

Thanx for the heads up!

ZeeMox

Jul 2, 2010
Is your MSL the same from device to device? If so I got mine back on my Evo 4G with that app that needs root.

yoboii23

Oct 5, 2009
Is your MSL the same from device to device? If so I got mine back on my Evo 4G with that app that needs root.

All devices/phones have different MSLs... for now u need to use this method to be able to retrieve the msl.. tha app won't work bc we dont have root (YET! ;))

aoaleman

Sep 28, 2010
San Antonio, TX
First of all, thank you for the tip but on the original thread, it states "HTTP PD Proxy Port & HTTP PD Proxy Address" but on the Evo 3D I see a "HTTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy port". Looks and sounds the same, just would like to be sure.Thank you in advance.

yoboii23

Oct 5, 2009
First of all, thank you for the tip but on the original thread, it states "HTTP PD Proxy Port & HTTP PD Proxy Address" but on the Evo 3D I see a "HTTP proxy IP" and "HTTP proxy port". Looks and sounds the same, just would like to be sure.Thank you in advance.

Yeah they are the same thing they just changed the order a little.. I forgot to mention that in the OP

CrippleB

Aug 19, 2010
El Sobrante, CA.
You could just call Sprint and ask nicely for your MSL. It worked for me. :)

Yeah just said I was going to do some diagnostics, but she did ask if this was the first time calling so I might not get the same help again. Make sure you write it down so you will always have it in case Sprint wants to be difficult.

Last edited:

MRBULLRED

Jun 17, 2010
New Orleans
Okay, I called and got my MSL.. Now what do I do??? change to port and proxy to 0 and 0.0.0.0??? like on the OG EVO?? thanks
EDIT... MISSED IT SORRY..

Last edited:

heathmcabee

Feb 9, 2008

This is what I am wondering also. I changed this and rebooted my phone and it made me lose my data connection all together. Had to go back and change it again. Can someone elaborate on the specific area I need to change on the 3d, cause its a little different than the 4G. Thanks

lilflip21

Feb 18, 2009
Rochester, MN
t.co
My changes..

Nice.. got my msl.. I changed a few things that I have changed on my TP2 and Evo4G like :)

Enabled USB charging
Slot cycle index to 1 ..delay between phone checking tower for incoming calls.. aka slightly quicker ring time..
ACCOLC to 2 ...priority on tower - set between 2-9 .. 2 is highest.. 1 is for emergency numbers
EVRC-B to enable ....all of the follwing are for supposed better voice quality... can't say I notice a difference..
Home Orig - EVRC-B
Roam Orig - EVRC-B

and..
HTTP Proxy Port to 0
HTTP Proxy Address to 0.0.0.0 .. 3g internet speed increase

Seems to be working great...

Last edited:

CrippleB

Aug 19, 2010
El Sobrante, CA.
Does someone have instructions to change my COM port? Tried to google it but kinda confusing. Thanks.

Are you trying to get MSL? Calling Sprint was easier then dealing with all the other stuff. I just called *2 and then ask for technical support, if one turns you down call again. I didn't get turned down, just make it sound like a legitimate reason for needing it. Say you are a dev or running diag.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Original Post HERE By techwerkz

Many many thankx to him!! :D

If you want to thank me, thank him insted :D

This will give us something to do until we get root :(

I only updated some pics and minor information. Also made it a lil easier on the Evo 3D community :p

TO SPEED UP YOUR INTERNET... instructions from Avalaunchmods (Edited)

1. Get your MSL, by calling Sprint or by using CDMA workshop like i explain below
    2. After you have your MSL go to your phone and type ##3282#
    3. Click Edit Mode
    4. Click Advanced
    5. Scroll down to RTSP/HTTP Setting
    6. Change RTSP proxy IP to 0.0.0.0 or You can leave this blank if you like
    7. Change RTSP proxy Port to 0 (Zero)
    8. HTTP proxy IP to 0.0.0.0 or You could leave this blank if you like
    9. HTTP proxy port to 0 (Zero)
    10.Go enjoy Downloads and a .20-.60 mbps increase in 3G speeds!

*********Original settings if you want to revert back.

Original settings

rtsp proxy ip: rtsp.vog.sprintpcs.com
    rtsp proxy port: 554
    http proxy ip: pd.vog.sprintpcs.com
    http proxy port: 8085

TO GET YOUR MSL USING CDMA WORKSHOP

Please be very careful with CDMA Workshop. I am not responsible for your curiosity, or stupidity!

I have included screenshots for installing the drivers on Windows 7 x64. This seems to be a little different for most users, so I hope this helps. Windows XP should be pretty similar to below. You can enter Device Manager the same way. Some of the prompts will be slightly different, but at the end most of the same dialogs will appear.

Prerequisites:
    CDMA Workshop - http://www.cdma-ware.com/workshop.html
    The Demo version will be able to retrieve the MSL.

HTC Diag Drivers - http://www.techwerkz.com/evo/HTCDiagDrivers.zip
    I have compiled this zip which includes both x86 (32 bit), and x64 (64 bit) drivers for HTC diagnostics. I have successfully tested the x64 drivers on Windows 7, and all works without issue.

The Fun Part
    Step 1 - Dial ##DIAG# (##3424#) on your phone.

Step 2 - Connect the phone to the computer via the USB cable. When prompted to install the drivers use the drivers from the ZIP provided above.

Windows will probably not be able to find the drivers:
    1.jpg

You will need to manually install the drivers from Device Manager. Quickest way to get there is to press the Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog. Type in devmgmt.msc:
    2.jpg

Once Device Manager is open you will see it cannot find the HTC Diag driver :(:
    3.jpg

Right click on HTC Diag, and go to Update Driver. You will be prompted with the following, choose Browse my Computer. Then choose Let me Pick. Click Next. Click Have Disk. Browse to the drivers you downloaded, and choose the proper INF file. Click Next. Then finally Yes, if prompted :eek::
    4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

If all went well you will see it installing the driver. Then finally let you know it was successfully installed!
    11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Step 3 - Run CDMA Workshop you downloaded earlier.

Once CDMA Workshop is open click the word Port found on the left:
    A2izy0j

You will be given the options to select the correct COM port (Please note the demo version will only go to COM9. If you have an issue with this please follow this tutorial written by me to lower you port if you have one above 9.....

1. Connect your phone to computer and dial ##3424#

2. Go to device manager and double click modem.. you should see something named HTC USB modem #2 if you see that do a right click and click propeties (it might freeze for a few seconds, if nothing happens try again.)

3. Once the propeties window opens click on the tab advance.

4. Look for Advance Port Settings, and click it.

5 .A new window should open.. now u should be able to see the option to change the COM Port its called COM Port Number... Make sure you change it to port 9 and below... Once you done changing the port press ok, ok and exit device manager

You succesfully change your port! and now you are able to use CMDA Workshop!

Y98ze3a

Once the correct COM port is selected click Connect:
    9ifULb5

NIk2YxY

Head over to the Security tab and click Read under the SPC / User Lock section:
    6uJjkfy

If all has gone well you will be given your MSL code! It is the 6 digit number listed after pressing Read. Great Success! :D

Testing
    The following sections should prompt for your MSL code. Enter what you have retrieved to find out if it is in fact the correct MSL code.

##data# (##3282#)
    ##debug#(##33284#)
    ##diag#(##3424#)
    ##svn#(##786#)
    ##prev#(##7738#)
    ##vocoder# (##8626337#)

If you followed the steps correctly, the code should work.

Hope this helps everyone with finding their MSL when Sprint will not give it to you. Again, I am not responsible for what you do with this information. This is a use at your own risk method!
    My changes..

Nice.. got my msl.. I changed a few things that I have changed on my TP2 and Evo4G like :)

Enabled USB charging
    Slot cycle index to 1 ..delay between phone checking tower for incoming calls.. aka slightly quicker ring time..
    ACCOLC to 2 ...priority on tower - set between 2-9 .. 2 is highest.. 1 is for emergency numbers
    EVRC-B to enable ....all of the follwing are for supposed better voice quality... can't say I notice a difference..
    Home Orig - EVRC-B
    Roam Orig - EVRC-B

and..
    HTTP Proxy Port to 0
    HTTP Proxy Address to 0.0.0.0 .. 3g internet speed increase

Seems to be working great...
    I made a video of how to do this and a speed test of before and after. check it out if you want. Did'nt see a video of how to do this on here. sorry if there is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0or6dmQK0&feature=channel_video_title
    Thank you for your enthusiasm. But, can I have my retinas back?
    be careful with this. although the old proxies from 2.2 did slow down speeds and did not reroute data correctly, the new ones increase streaming video streams, correctly and efficiently set you on a sprint tower for 3G and make 4G connections faster, and pre-encode streams.

so although you will get faster download speeds for normal data packets, in the end you will wind up with alot more headaches.

so thats just my .2cents on this. be sure to write down the old proxies and ports should you need to revert.