[TUT] Revert OTA 3.2 back to 3.0.1

Search This thread

drkalo

Jul 13, 2009
Sofia
I've done full wipes, stock roms, custom roms, all with the same results.

OK, why not trying to edit build.prop file with a tool like Root Explorer in R/W mode - open it and find the ro.product.locale.region and change it to US if it is different. Save the file and restart the device. Alternatively you can try Market Enabler.

elsuirad

Just a quick (newbie) question...

After I made through downgrading to 3.0.1 (from OTA 3.2), what's the next thing to do to get to 3.1 and get the rooted 3.2?

Can someone give the added step-by-step tutorial here.

Thanks.

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008
This would be alot easier if everyone just used the image vache posted for 3.0.1. That image WILL work for the locked bootloader. After you get back to 3.0.1 you can then root it then install CWM.

OP please update your guide, that is the much easier/safer option.

EDIT-

The actual link has been update. I pointed you to the wrong file previously
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GR57P1NN

Last edited:

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008
That's method 2. Would you like me to remove metod 1?

No that still uses an EUU.
The zip in my previous post is an update.zip FROM acer specifically to downgrade from 3.2 to 3.0.1. It will work after you get a locked bootloader.
After you do that iconiaroot would work, but there are other ways to root 3.0.1 as well. Anyway, it seems like it would be easier and quicker and platform independent.

Try it out

Reactions: ezterry and drkalo

elsuirad

I just followed the Method 2 even my battery was 55%.

My Tablet is now back from Factory Setting.

It took me 10 mins to do it (after thinking for at least a day to decide to do or not) and now from unrooted 3.2 back to 3.0.1 and now, already rooted and will continue the process later when I get home.

I'll be waiting for the tutorial on step-by-step how to achieve the rooted 3.2.

Thanks for drkalo for the updated post on page #1. - and Yes, please remove the Method 1 because it's very easy to do the Method #2.

Last edited:

jyams

Sep 25, 2010
I just followed the Method 2 even my battery was 55%.

My Tablet is now back from Factory Setting.

It took me 10 mins to do it (after thinking for at least a day to decide to do or not) and now from unrooted 3.2 back to 3.0.1 and now, already rooted and will continue the process later when I get home.

I'll be waiting for the tutorial on step-by-step how to achieve the rooted 3.2.

Thanks for drkalo for the updated post on page #1. - and Yes, please remove the Method 1 because it's very easy to do the Method #2.

Me thinks you just need to download one of the 3.2 roms with a kernel and wipe and flash through CWM. I have had my a500 for several months but finally took the plunge yesterday and left the stock 3.1 behind. Was rooted but never had left the stock install. So, went with Taboonay 2.1b (Honeycomb 3.2) and Richard Tripp's 3.4 kernel and am very happy. Running at 1.5ghz overclocked and smooth as butter. Also did the Asus Transformer Netflix patch and Netflix works great too! Be sure to use this version of the Netflix app. Liking this alot, plus, not waiting on Acer to send us a 3.2 update that can't be rooted LOL:).

Last edited:

elsuirad

Success on Downgrading, Rooting and Installing Taboonay 2.0 ROM

I think there's no need for my requested tutorial.

I managed to make my ROM installed after downgrading to 3.0.1 and now, I'm using Taboonay 2.0 after I flashed and wipe some couple of memories and others.. then installed it and after a few minutes, VIOLA! I'm now Taboonay ROM, v3.2 and Rooted!

Here are some screenshots of my tablet:

24ceahj.jpg

My current Live Wallpaper KOI

21dqsjl.jpg

My Settings - Taboonay 2.0

xc5ah3.jpg

My KOI Live Wallpaper, page 2 of 5 (right side)

14obxcm.jpg

My KOI Live Wallpaper, page 3 of 5 (left side)
:D

Note: Actual image sizes captured by Screenshot ER

Last edited:

matrix.bharath

Apr 15, 2008
Bangalore
www.facebook.com
Hi Its not working please help

Hi i got my UID and edited the same in th CPUID file and lauched the program as Administrator. but then its showing this error please help what to do

attachment.php

thanks

PS. Edit : It works after some fiddling around.
what i did was deleted ADB file in temp and deleted if there was a second process. and then the process started. now im on taboonay 2.1b super fast than stock 3.2 and many features. especially now i have root :) thanks to all the devs for making this happen

Last edited:

samaliset

Jun 29, 2007
Paris
Root install prob

This would be alot easier if everyone just used the image vache posted for 3.0.1. That image WILL work for the locked bootloader. After you get back to 3.0.1 you can then root it then install CWM.

EDIT-

1st many thanks for this idea.
This is what I have done:
1- copied the update.file to the ext sd
2- off and on the iconia with volume (-) then update process completed in 1-2 minites
At the end no way I could intall root.
Also I had message error "android.process.acore"
4- to get rid of this message I get an update.zip file from ROM 3.1
5- Updated the iconia the same as above. The problem disappeared.
But unfortunately I still could not root and this is big issue now.

Any help?

Thanks again

GMC7000

Sep 9, 2010
As someone who just bought their A500, came home and updated it to 3.2 without reading about it online, thank you!!

Being a longtime owner of an Xperia X10 phone with their tighter-than-fort-knox bootloader, you can't imagine how frustrated I was to go online and find out I had just inadvertantly locked the bootloader on my Iconia. I used the first method (the second method mentioned gives the file, but being somewhat new to all this, I wasn't quite sure what to do with it once I had it) and it worked perfectly. Now I'm going to see if I can overclock this thing.

EDIT: After I figure out how to root it, that is

Last edited:

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
2- off and on the iconia with volume (-) then update process completed in 1-2 minites

Any help?

Thanks again

I used yesterday the file to revert back my iconia without problems. It worked and I was able to root the iconia again. My steps were:
Use the file to revert back the iconia. I didn't allow to reboot after the flashing, and I flashed the stock US 3.1, after that I let it boot and I was able to root again. So maybe the trick is not to let the update to reboot the tablet and flash the 3.1 OS version immediately.

By the way I'm again on 3.2 stock unrooted, I don't feel I need to root it right now. The only thing I hate is ads, but most applications I have I bought them, so not so many ads for me. I least I know I have a way back if needed. A BIG thanks to Vache for the file.

Last edited:

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008

Any help?

Thanks again

Please use iconiaroot1.3 from sc2k. I have confirmed this method works myself.

The acore error is expected. Its an (intentionally) unstable ROM.

My question would be how you installed the 3.1 zip without rooting. You would have still had a locked bootloader. It should have given you the error "Boot verification failed" or something along those lines.

samaliset

Jun 29, 2007
Paris
Please use iconiaroot1.3 from sc2k. I have confirmed this method works myself.

The acore error is expected. Its an (intentionally) unstable ROM.

My question would be how you installed the 3.1 zip without rooting. You would have still had a locked bootloader. It should have given you the error "Boot verification failed" or something along those lines.

I got the update.zip file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1113878 , Full Package / HoneyComb 3.1 / Acer_A500_4.010.42_EMEA_GEN3 : http://cdn.acer.futuredial.com/Acer_...1_036d89ae.zip

I did try the iconiaroot1.3 but refused to install. I think the method I am using is not the right one and as you suggest the bootloader is still locked.

I'll try again and see if I can find a way to root since it is essential for me presently.

kekinash

Nov 23, 2010
Sunny South Texas
Can you try my steps? Don't let the tablet reboot after downloading with Vache's update.zip file, just flash again the 3.1 update file and then let it reboot. Then you can root it. Not need to boot into 3.0.1 and root it. It's just a step to reflash the unlocked bootloader.

It worked for me using the Stock US 3.1 rom

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008
I got the update.zip file from here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1113878 , Full Package / HoneyComb 3.1 / Acer_A500_4.010.42_EMEA_GEN3 : http://cdn.acer.futuredial.com/Acer_...1_036d89ae.zip

I did try the iconiaroot1.3 but refused to install. I think the method I am using is not the right one and as you suggest the bootloader is still locked.

I'll try again and see if I can find a way to root since it is essential for me presently.

What did the refusal to install message read?

GamezR2EZ

Jan 23, 2008
Try redownloading the package.
How are you installing this, with adb or on the tablet itself?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well as long as we have ICS OTA this thread seems to be less needed. Anyway, I'll leave it this way in case someone is stuck on HC 3.2 without root and without being able to update to ICS. How to get root on your stock ICS, look here or here

If you’re reading this may be you’re stuck with a 3.2 OTA update without ROOT privileges on your A500. This tutorial explains how to revert your OTA 3.2 to 3.0.1. Original article for those of you who speak Russian here
    Thanks to begemot666.
    These methods could be used to unbrick your device i.e. when boot.img and recovery.img are corrupt.

METHOD 1 - thanks, vache

It is best to use a PC with Windows 7 on it. Most of the problems reported seem to be XP related.

1. Download and unpack the archive provided by vache here - for Firefox rightclick and select "Save link as".
    MIRROR
    2. Get your UID (without it nothing is going to work). How to do that – read sc2k’s itsmagic thread. Enable USB debugging on the tablet.
    3. Edit the file CPUID inside the extracted folder with a text editor - you have to change this line with your UID number but you need to add “zeroxzero” in front of it, example: if your UID is 37c7040425ff0d7, at the end it needs to look like 0x037c7040425ff0d7.
    Save the file.
    4. Connect your tablet with the PC.
    5. Run PBJ20upgrade.exe as administrator and follow app instructions. USB drivers are provided with this archive and the app installs them automatically according to your system.
    6. After driver installation the app scans your tablet and it will show version number of your current firmware and version number of the firmware that is going to be applied after restoration. Follow all application instructions. Tablet will switch to APX mode with ACER logo on its screen and on your PC you’ll see the progress bar of the process. Before the beginning of the flashing process the app will ask you for identification number. Here you enter your UID which you have placed in the CPUID file with a zero infront. Example: 037c7040425ff0d7

Below are screenshots from the EUU app that's used to downgrade to 3.0.1

The whole things takes 10 or more minutes so be patient. Then you’ll have HC 3.0.1 :D
    All data on your system and data partitions will be lost. Storage will remain intact.

7. Once on Honeycomb 3.0.1, install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    8. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

METHOD 1 update: You can use timmyDean 's modified and tweaked EUU tool that will flash directly a rooted stock 3.2.1 ROM:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1307539

METHOD 2 - thanks GamezR2EZ
    This is even easier because it does not need your UID. It is just flashing as a normal update but actually it is an older HC version that is rootable by Iconiaroot. Additionally method 2 leaves your data intact and you will be able to backup your apps after downgrading with tools like Titanium Backup. Thanks heldc for pointing this out.

1. Download this package (named "downgrade not stable"). mirror1 mirror2 mirror3
    2. Extract the update.zip from it and place it on your external SD card.
    3. Turn off your tab and then turn it back on while holding Volume Down key. This will automatically flash the update.zip from your SD card.
    4. After flashing is finished you'll have unstable Honeycomb 3.0.1 - gives errors and crashes but you only need it to root and install CWM. If it fails to boot try to hard reset your device *.
    5. Install Iconiaroot 1.3, root your tab and then install CWM from thor's site (there you can find the latest version) or use Acer Recovery Installer from the Market, or look at the original thread here
    6. Boot into CWM and flash whatever ROM you like!

GOOD LUCK !

* How to hard reset your Iconia A500

1. Turn off your tablet
    2. Place the screen lock button on the left (red not visible)
    3. Hold Volume UP + Power button
    4. After the vibration, release the power button and toggle the screen switch few times left-right until you see the following lines appear on the screen

Erasing Userdata...

Erasing Cache...

You can now release Volume UP button.

5. In the top left corner you'll see formatting has started.
    6. Tablet will reboot
    Maybe it could help : EUUs_SBK_Acer_A500_1.016.05_COM_GEN1
    You can post it in 4PDA.ru.

EDIT-

That's method 2. Would you like me to remove metod 1?

No that still uses an EUU.
    The zip in my previous post is an update.zip FROM acer specifically to downgrade from 3.2 to 3.0.1. It will work after you get a locked bootloader.
    After you do that iconiaroot would work, but there are other ways to root 3.0.1 as well. Anyway, it seems like it would be easier and quicker and platform independent.

Try it out
    Glad it worked for you. EUU is not thor's tool, it's ACER's which does not mean he's not a great dev :)

MIRRORS for method 2:

WUPLOAD
    HOTFILE