the 4.4.X update - discussion thread

Search This thread

hlcm151

Sep 21, 2009
http://www.tmonews.com/2014/02/andr...alaxy-s4-s4-note-3-and-other-samsung-devices/
Today, Samsung announced that it would be pushing out KitKat to a slew of its Android-powered smartphones. Although we’re not precisely sure on specific dates for T-Mobile devices, the 4.4.2 update will be rolling out from today.

Among the list of devices being supported are the Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy S 4 and S 3 as well as others. Full press release below:

DALLAS, February 18, 2014 – Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) announced today that a number of Samsung Galaxy® devices will receive the Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) software update, enriching the Galaxy experience.

The upgrade provides a number of innovative, easy-to-use features that enhance the user experience, including a more intuitive user interface, enhanced messaging capabilities and updated applications:

· Location Menu: An integrated location menu enables users to easily activate GPS, Wi-Fi and mobile networks, while simultaneously checking the battery usage of apps running location service capabilities.
· Enhanced Messaging: Enables users to choose between Messages or Hangouts as their preferred default messaging application, and select from a larger assortment of updated Emoji icons.
· Upgraded Google Mobile Service™ (GMS) apps: Users can automatically back up photos and video and can open, view, rename and share Google Docs and files.

Samsung Galaxy U.S. devices currently scheduled to receive the KitKat update include select carrier variants of the Galaxy Note® 3, Galaxy Note® II, Galaxy S® 4, Galaxy S® 4 mini™, Galaxy S® 4 Active™, Galaxy S® 4 zoom™, Galaxy S® III, Galaxy S® III mini™, Galaxy Mega®, Galaxy Light, Galaxy Note® 8.0, Galaxy Tab® 3, Galaxy Note® 10.1, Galaxy Note® 10.1 2014 Edition.

Availability varies by carrier and product, with updates beginning today and continuing throughout the coming months.

If you have one of the Galaxy devices mentioned in the announcement, be sure to let us know when/if the update lands. T-Mobile isn’t always speedy when it comes to giving the green light to software updates on Android. Let’s hope these start to land pretty snappish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
Don't update, the bootloader might be locked. It best to wait for a dev to get a hold of the firmware and make it into a flashable rom that doesn't include the bootloader.

I am used to waiting to take updates being on VZW and what they did with breaking root with the Bionic and then the S4 fiasco. But why would Tmobile launch a phone with an unlocked bootloader only to lock it after an OTA update? It's one thing to patch an exploit, but to lock an unlocked bootloader when it was meant to launch unlocked I think would be stange. Again, I'm waiting anyway, but I think the phone will stay unlocked.

cun7

Feb 13, 2014
Not sure how excited I am for 4.4.2

No app ops. I can't believe google would intentionally remove a vital security feature. I guess we'll just have to add it back in :)

rhetorician

Feb 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Not sure how excited I am for 4.4.2

No app ops. I can't believe google would intentionally remove a vital security feature. I guess we'll just have to add it back in :)

I agree! In fact, that's the first thing I thought about when I heard about the news.

We do, however, still have xPrivacy, though. I've donated to the developer and hopefully we'll see continued development including, I hope, a more user-friendly system closer to the way App Ops works. (For the record, I'm not knocking xProvacy; rather I'm pointing out that it could be easier to manage for laymen like myself.)

Reactions: SteelQualityMan

dragonstalker

Jan 1, 2008
Fort Myers, Fla
I am used to waiting to take updates being on VZW and what they did with breaking root with the Bionic and then the S4 fiasco. But why would Tmobile launch a phone with an unlocked bootloader only to lock it after an OTA update? It's one thing to patch an exploit, but to lock an unlocked bootloader when it was meant to launch unlocked I think would be stange. Again, I'm waiting anyway, but I think the phone will stay unlocked.

i'm guessing you are right. But you have to remember, it's not TMO that's doing it. It's all part of Sammy Knox initiative to make the phones more secure. If you have an unlocked bootloader, there's no way to say that your product is secure. We've picked apart the last 3 builds /na6/na7/nb3 of kitkat from germany, and there's alot of pointless crap built into these roms that will have to be pulled out to , along with the regular developmental crap that sammy puts in there for "Future Updates" Like fingerprints scanner perms and instructions, radios that will never be used, and something pointing to a backup antennae even though the phone does not have one (that's for the note 10.1)

I think they are being lazy, , making one huge TW Rom and then modifying it for individual devices. If you look at the S4 release and the Note 3 release, they are identical builds minus screen size settings and the addition of spen support.

sacky73

Sep 12, 2011
Any idea when the TMobile update will be available? Sprint customers are getting theirs from today.

djtheraven

Jun 1, 2008
I've have been with tmo from the beginning of this computer like smart phone generation, and I will say we are almost always the last to get an update. .. Our wifi calling and wifi alone had a bug for 6 months now no update when other carriers got the fix. .. Just saying. ...

Evertime there's an update these discussions happen. ... When when when. .. sit back relax and flash someone else's rom. ... lol

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Last edited:

cun7

Feb 13, 2014
Call it eye-Kat. Make it look exactly like iOS and give Apple the finger

Sent from another galaxy

paul89

Jul 30, 2009
I've have been with tmo from the beginning of this computer like smart phone generation, and I will say we are almost always the last to get an update. .. Our wifi calling and wifi alone had a bug for 6 months now no update when other carriers got the fix. .. Just saying. ...

Evertime there's an update these discussions happen. ... When when when. .. sit back relax and flash someone else's rom. ... lol

IKR, the wifi bug is pissing me off!

bladehawk

Apr 15, 2013
Don't update, the bootloader might be locked. It best to wait for a dev to get a hold of the firmware and make it into a flashable rom that doesn't include the bootloader.

Apparently using Mobile Odin you can flash the update with rootkeeper and you keep Knox at 0x0 and get a rooted 4.4.2 (make sure you set it to reboot into download to flash the bootloader)

Details are in this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49502152

I wish T-Mobile would herry the heck up!!!! :p

Eric214

Oct 24, 2012
Philly
i'm guessing you are right. But you have to remember, it's not TMO that's doing it. It's all part of Sammy Knox initiative to make the phones more secure. If you have an unlocked bootloader, there's no way to say that your product is secure. We've picked apart the last 3 builds /na6/na7/nb3 of kitkat from germany, and there's alot of pointless crap built into these roms that will have to be pulled out to , along with the regular developmental crap that sammy puts in there for "Future Updates" Like fingerprints scanner perms and instructions, radios that will never be used, and something pointing to a backup antennae even though the phone does not have one (that's for the note 10.1)

I think they are being lazy, , making one huge TW Rom and then modifying it for individual devices. If you look at the S4 release and the Note 3 release, they are identical builds minus screen size settings and the addition of spen support.

Yeah i can see where you're coming from. but I still don't think Sammy will lock it down, but we'll see.

daraj

Jun 21, 2007
Florida, USA
TMO is busy now with their "marketing campaign" to attract new customers.. They have no time to do software updates for existing customers
Come on peeps cut them some slack :p

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
TMO is busy now with their "marketing campaign" to attract new customers.. They have no time to do software updates for existing customers
Come on peeps cut them some slack :p

This is what I was afraid of when switching to TMO. Yeah I save money but at the cost of crappy CS service and very very slow to non-existant updates.

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There will be another update in May to bring us the GS5 look and you can believe me or not I dont care I told you all about this update and I wasn't wrong now wait for the next update in May

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    And please don't ask me for pics of the update charts becausa I really can't do that I don't want to loose my job for that but I will let you all know when there is something coming

GREAT NEWS Everyone! Samsung released the kitkat source code for our N900T today!

It's labeled N900TUVUCNB4.

Means we should be getting it VERY SOON!

You can download it by going to http://opensource.samsung.com/ and in the search field type N900T. The filename is SM-N900T_NA_KK_Opensource.zip

Enjoy!
    Yes there is an issue with the GPS not activating on some devices we have the update in our service center and on some devices it works flawless and on other devices it doesn't TMO already has the update and knows about it but its just a minor fix the update is still on track for Wednesday any changes and I will let you all know

Everyone who questioned Razierpr as to the validity of him informing that the update would come out today owes him a big apology here.

Thanks Razierpr for the information. I am stock unrooted and downloading over wifi the OTA to the phone. Thanks again for your information.

Ian B