[Q] Phone Incorrectly Reads Battery Level

Search This thread

anthonyherbz

Feb 26, 2014
Hey all, I'm in need if some advice/help. My Galaxy S3 seems to be incorrectly gauging how much battery life it has.. For a better explanation, here's a familiar scenario: phone is 100% and will slowly keep creeping down by a percent with little to no use. In a few hours it "dies." If I leave it for a couple of minutes or do something like take the battery out however, it'll have a reading of 36%. I can do this several times in a row! Another instance is say it was at 100% and drops down to 80% in an hour or so. If I leave it in standby the battery level will actually start creeping back up after a couple of minutes.

I have tried these steps and suggestions to combat this problem:

• flash to CyanogenMod
  • buy an extended battery
  • calibrate the battery with apps
  • wipe battery stats

I've run out of ideas short of bringing the phone in to T-Mobile and have it replaced. Google searching has turned up pretty fruitless so I'm asking here before I make anymore moves! Thanks for all the anticipated help.

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Please do a factory reset and leave just the Rom and Gapps. Nothing else on there for a some time to experiment.

Please install BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store. Make sure to enable Root Features from under settings >Advanced Settings > Enable Root Features checkbox.

Next reboot the phone and then leave it alone for some time. Preferably overnight. In the morning, hit the Share button in upper right corner of the app. Choose text as the output format. It will save a text log in /SDCARD folder. Attach that here.

Reactions: anthonyherbz

anthonyherbz

Feb 26, 2014
Currently letting my phone run the tests. Just out of curiosity I have noticed something funny already. With 55m 49s on battery, it says Wi-Fi has been running the whole time (100% ratio), and I definitely have Wi-Fi turned off.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Currently letting my phone run the tests. Just out of curiosity I have noticed something funny already. With 55m 49s on battery, it says Wi-Fi has been running the whole time (100% ratio), and I definitely have Wi-Fi turned off.
There are variety of reasons. Please Turn off Google Location Reporting.

Please post a log as I described before.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Are you sure you turned off Google Location Reporting ? If not then do so first. If you had done so, please turn off location service all together.
Under Settings >Wireless>Advanced, do you have "Keep Wifi on during sleep" set to never ? Also uncheck Scanning always available. Lastly what's the deal with your calendar ? Do you have so many events on there ?

anthonyherbz

Feb 26, 2014
Are you sure you turned off Google Location Reporting ? If not then do so first. If you had done so, please turn off location service all together.
Under Settings >Wireless>Advanced, do you have "Keep Wifi on during sleep" set to never ? Also uncheck Scanning always available. Lastly what's the deal with your calendar ? Do you have so many events on there ?

Location services are disabled all together. I did however have to set "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to never. And no I don't have any events... Could that be the problem lol?

Last edited:

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
You most certainly have some Location Service going on. Please check again. You will need to wipe data for Calendar and then sync it just the one time with Google Account.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
In that case, reboot and post an IDLE log for 4 to 5 hours.

Idle = Phone is on but not being used at all.

Reactions: anthonyherbz

anthonyherbz

Feb 26, 2014
Four hours idle. Sorry for getting back so late... School is very busy!

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2014-03-19_221640426.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 7

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Facebook and Google+ are really chewing your battery. Please remove both apps. Use their mobile websites instead. I know its not as good but your battery will thank you.

Please reboot after removing both and then provide another Idle Log. There are additional issues.

anthonyherbz

Feb 26, 2014
Here's another 5hr log. Thanks for sticking this out with me!

Attachments

• BetterBatteryStats-2014-03-24_143657284.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 7

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Here's another 5hr log. Thanks for sticking this out with me!
This looks pretty good. Please get the app called "Kill Mediaserver" and use it as the name says. If possible, copy everything from the external sd card onto a pc, format that card to FAT32, then copy everything back to the card.

You do realize, you have Google Now. Please understand it will have a hit on battery. So long you are aware of this, keep it. Otherwise freeze it. Earlier in this thread, @Karpfenhai has posted a mod for Google Play service. Use it please.

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Hey pardon, and thank you for sharing your wisdom on this subject. Am wondering, did I understand correctly when reading the link that greenify would achieve the same result with Google play services?
It may or may not. I do not recommend Greenify as the principle it operates on is flawed in my opinion.

I have been using that Mod ever since with Great Results.

Reactions: Titchener17

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please do a factory reset and leave just the Rom and Gapps. Nothing else on there for a some time to experiment.

Please install BetterBatteryStats from the Play Store. Make sure to enable Root Features from under settings >Advanced Settings > Enable Root Features checkbox.

Next reboot the phone and then leave it alone for some time. Preferably overnight. In the morning, hit the Share button in upper right corner of the app. Choose text as the output format. It will save a text log in /SDCARD folder. Attach that here.
    In that case, reboot and post an IDLE log for 4 to 5 hours.

Idle = Phone is on but not being used at all.
    Hey pardon, and thank you for sharing your wisdom on this subject. Am wondering, did I understand correctly when reading the link that greenify would achieve the same result with Google play services?
    It may or may not. I do not recommend Greenify as the principle it operates on is flawed in my opinion.

I have been using that Mod ever since with Great Results.