[XOOM2/XYBOARD][HOW TO] Motorola Xoom 2/Xyboard Everything Root and more!

Search This thread

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
The JB update was flawless and smooth transition for my MZ617-16..No problems at all..

I have two 32gb, and one 64gb model(s) waiting on possible Root exploit and SafeStrap before going to JB..

But of course, I knew there would be a problem (most likely) being on Rooted ICS, so before ever attempting the OTA to Jelly Bean, I FXZ'd back to stock ICS before taking the upgrade..

Can't comment on the stock launcher for JB, I loaded Next Launcher 3D right away, and the Next Launcher seems to run great..after experiencing Next Launcher, for me..all the others are the same..anyhow

This XYBoard is happy..

Sent by my MZ617-16 XYBoard 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2

csmoore88

May 1, 2011
The JB update was flawless and smooth transition for my MZ617-16..No problems at all..

I have two 32gb, and one 64gb model(s) waiting on possible Root exploit and SafeStrap before going to JB..

But of course, I knew there would be a problem (most likely) being on Rooted ICS, so before ever attempting the OTA to Jelly Bean, I FXZ'd back to stock ICS before taking the upgrade..

Can't comment on the stock launcher for JB, I loaded Next Launcher 3D right away, and the Next Launcher seems to run great..after experiencing Next Launcher, for me..all the others are the same..anyhow

This XYBoard is happy..

Sent by my MZ617-16 XYBoard 10.1 Jelly Bean 4.1.2

that is great news. I unfortunately was not so lucky. I noticed during the soak that several others had the same problem with the wrong blur version that I did. The support at Motorola acknowledged that some devices got a corrupt rom. I was one of the unlucky ones. However, fastboot files saved me. Now i am waiting for the official push.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

aftabbabar

Nov 13, 2010
I have been checking every hour on my xyboard mz617 and I still haven't gotten the update yet. I am on stock ics 4.0.4

djnostek

Jul 26, 2010
no ota yet

I have been checking every hour on my xyboard mz617 and I still haven't gotten the update yet. I am on stock ics 4.0.4

I am in the same boat as you but I wonder about the update.

I have the 4g Xyboard but it has not had its own active sim in a while, I still have my grandfathered unlimited data and I currently use my Razr Maxx's sim card inside of my Xyboard for my 4g. I wonder if it has to be currently "active" under Verizon in order to receive the OTA? I as well have been checking frequently with no success.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina

I have the 4g Xyboard but it has not had its own active sim in a while, I still have my grandfathered unlimited data and I currently use my Razr Maxx's sim card inside of my Xyboard for my 4g. I wonder if it has to be currently "active" under Verizon in order to receive the OTA? I as well have been checking frequently with no success.

I took the OTA update, flawless update..with Stock ICS..MZ617-16..but..don't know if it makes a difference, I had signed my device up as a soak tester..(??)

RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
Android > 4.2.2
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(#1)

Last edited:

aftabbabar

Nov 13, 2010

mine has no sim installed from the beginning and I live in Dominican republic. I also have the MZ617 and still waiting for the update. I check 4 times/day. I guess i would have to do it manually if possible.

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
mine has no sim installed from the beginning and I live in Dominican republic. I also have the MZ617 and still waiting for the update. I check 4 times/day. I guess i would have to do it manually if possible.

Maybe your location is a factor also..MZ617 is a Verizon device only, I believe.? But..maybe soon, a FXZ will be available, and if not OTA for you soon..then you could FXZ instead of OTA..I myself hoping the FXZ is available soon, I feel better, with a backup, someway to return back to stock, if need be..

I hope you receive the OTA soon..if not, then hopefully we will have the FXZ soon..

RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
OTA System > 12.15.15.obake-maxx_verizon
Android > 4.2.2
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(#1)

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina

Here is a post on the Motorola site..

Comment:
Xxxxxccccc said:
I have the 10.1 4g version, but I took my sim card out and cancelled data because it did this "refresh" issue, where apps would start over randomly. *Can I still get the upgrade or will I need to insert a sim card?

View original @xxxxxxxxx,

Yes, you will still be upgraded without the SIM card installed or a data plan. The OTA upgrade servers look for you MEID, which is hard coded to the radio ID of the tablet. Of course, you have to be connected to the Internet to receive any upgrade.

-xxxx

RockMyMoto Root
SafeStrap ver. 3.65
Android > 4.2.2
XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
(#1)

Reactions: aftabbabar

csmoore88

May 1, 2011
I still have not got the update. Motorola reached out after they sent me a corrupt update ROM to ask if I ever got the OTA when I said no I never heard back. I expect to see it soon tho.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

rjkmadison

Apr 3, 2011
Madison, WI
There is an issue with ICS Xyboards (just 8.2?) where the speakers are not stereo. The one on the bottom is much quieter than the top one, even in landscape mode. There is an app that fixes it with root on ICS.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wms.xoom2mespeakersfixfree

I have tested this on my JB updated Xyboard 8.2 and it no longer works. I contacted the developer and he said:
Unfortunatelly i bricked my xyboard, and until i find a way to fix it i can't add support for jellybean. :(

If you have any contacts in Motorola, and can get the "pbrdl.bin" signed for xyboard, then i would be very thankful and happy to add the JB support to the app.

Anyone able to help make this work again?
Rob

Droidjava

Apr 5, 2013
Voodoo Root JB 4.1.2

I was able to keep root using Voodoo Root Keeper going from ICS to JB ota. Just one minor issue, the apps that were already installed have root access. ie SafeStrap, Root Explorer, Titanium Backup but any new app installed isn't granted root access. Any suggestions to correct this issue would be greatly appreicated.

Javca

Dec 8, 2013
Greetings. Having problem with update on this tablet via System Updates..
First i tried normal update everything goes ok but when it comes to 1/3 it resets and shows system has failed to install. So i rooted him to install from sd card also failed same problem. I tried hard reset and nothing. I tried to search forum and saw that people provide error logs here, so here it's mine as well

here are some other info about tablet
System Version
0.281.4.MZ608.Retail.en.EU
Android Version
Firmware configuration version
GAS_EMEA_USATBLT1UMRTCEE_p013
Baseband configuraiton version
X1_02.05.00RU
Baseband configuration version
USAPASTE01RTUE1025.OR
Build number
1.6.0_281.4-MZ608

Build which System Update provide me is Blur_Version.0.281.4.MZ608.Retail.en.EU.zip so if i can put newer one somehow please let me know and ty for you help :)

Edited:
Hmm the problem is even worse now i'm stuck in boot loop :D. Tried factory reset and wipe cache nothing still in boot loop
i have a Blur_Version.0.281.4.MZ608.Retail.en.EU.zip on SD card tried via recovery it says

assert failed: apply_pach_check ("/system/lb/libfluency-java-internal.so", "8171d57d4b386241d35a1..........
E:Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip (status 7)

anyone can help?

Attachments

• last_log.txt
    41.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

tdively1

Jan 10, 2011
Can't Find .zip for rooting Xyboard MZ617

XOOM2/Xyboard Everything root and more!

Note: This method will not complete the process on Windows 8. Only Windows XP+, Linux and Mac OS X is supported.

Big Note: This thread is not supported anymore. Information maybe out of date in the future.

Root Method - Honeycomb
1. Download the Windows version here, or the Linux/OSX version here.

2. Your Computer must have Motorola Drivers installed before rooting and connect your device with debugging on to your computer via USB. (Mac Users don't need drivers)

3. Extract the zip file from the download link, and run “run.bat” (on Windows) or “run.sh” from a terminal (on Linux/OSX)

4. Your device should reboot a few times during the process, don't worry.

5. Then you should see a finished message on the Root Method Window. At this point your device is safe to be removed from the computer.

7. As you are running Honeycomb if you are reading this then you should be receiving the ICS OTA soon. So lets backup your root so you can restore everything root after the upgrade (saves time). Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.

6. Well Done! You have root. Enjoy root and be safe.

Blog Post: Here

Root Method - Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Connect your Xoom2/Xyboard via USB to your Windows PC. Install Motorola Drivers from here.

2. Under Settings > Developer Options > Hit the "Enable USB Debugging" selection.

3. Download the Root Installer from here. (Says for Droid RAZR but also works on Xyboard and Xoom 2]

4. Unzip the download.

5. Then run the installer included in the download (file DroidRazrRoot404.bat).

6. Well Done! You now have root.

Bootstrap/Safestrap[Custom Recovery]
Waring: DO NOT proceed if you are inexperienced. bootstrap is messy and is only needed once we have ROMs cooking. All questions about the recovery ask in the developer thread.

1. Install the Bootstrap APK file.
2. Allow Superuser Powers.
3. Read the instructions which is displayed on the user interface.
5. You will now see a splashscreen after you reboot (before boot animation), here you can decide if you want to enter recovery or continue with boot.
-Method Under Constuction-

Unroot or temporary unroot

Temp Unroot - If you need to unroot for any reason and come back at any time, then install OTA Rootkeeper and then select the option "temp unroot). This will remove root without restarting and you can restore by a touch of a button.

Full remove of Root - If you want to complety remove root all together, if you need to send in your device for repair or trading your device. Install Ginger Unroot and continue with the onscreen instructions. This application has confirmed to work on the Xoom2/Xyboard.​

I have been looking for the .zip file referenced in the "How to Root post at the beginning of this thread, but the link does not seem to be active anymore. Is there another method or link to follow for rooting the MZ617 with Android 4.1.2?

Reactions: mpgrimm2

NWKENT

Dec 17, 2010
Tryon, North Carolina
I have been looking for the .zip file referenced in the "How to Root post at the beginning of this thread, but the link does not seem to be active anymore. Is there another method or link to follow for rooting the MZ617 with Android 4.1.2?

This will Root JB 4.1.2 Go here, install to Windows..then run the program with your device plugged in via USB..

sent by my 4.4_19.5.3
TWRP 2.6.3.1 XT1080M Droid Maxx #2
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

Please donate to: Hashcode
(if you can)

Reactions: mpgrimm2

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011

This will Root JB 4.1.2 Go here, install to Windows..then run the program with your device plugged in via USB..

sent by my 4.4_19.5.3

(if you can)

Sorry I no longer own the XOOM 2 so I was unaware of any changes to rooting the device. Updated the OP with NWKENT comment (with credit).

lucasarran

Jan 29, 2011
Sir..your updated OP is not correct..please remove the mention of me and my link..

sent by my 4.4_19.5.3

(if you can)
Certainly.

If anyone has a clear method on how to root the device running Jelly Bean and are happy to have it on the OP, please send me a PM with the new instructions.

Reactions: NWKENT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    XOOM2/Xyboard Everything root and more!

From 26/03/2014, I will no longer be updating this post as I no longer have the device and Motorola won't be upgrading the device further. Please instead of sending me PMs, go to the Q&A board or post your comment on this thread.

Note: This method will not work on Windows 8. Only Windows XP, Vista, 7, Linux and Mac OS X is supported.

Root Method - Honeycomb
    1. Download the Windows version here, or the Linux/OSX version here.

2. Your Computer must have Motorola Drivers installed before rooting and connect your device with debugging on to your computer via USB. (Mac Users don't need drivers)

3. Extract the zip file from the download link, and run “run.bat” (on Windows) or “run.sh” from a terminal (on Linux/OSX)

4. Your device should reboot a few times during the process, don't worry.

5. Then you should see a finished message on the Root Method Window. At this point your device is safe to be removed from the computer.

7. As you are running Honeycomb if you are reading this then you should be receiving the ICS OTA soon. So lets backup your root so you can restore everything root after the upgrade (saves time). Download OTA Rootkeeper and backup root.

6. Well Done! You have root. Enjoy root and be safe.

Blog Post: Here

Root Method - Ice Cream Sandwich

1. Connect your Xoom2/Xyboard via USB to your Windows PC. Install Motorola Drivers from here.

2. Under Settings > Developer Options > Hit the "Enable USB Debugging" selection.

3. Download the Root Installer from here. (Says for Droid RAZR but also works on Xyboard and Xoom 2]

4. Unzip the download.

Bootstrap/Safestrap[Custom Recovery]
    Waring: DO NOT proceed if you are inexperienced. bootstrap is messy and is only needed once we have ROMs cooking. All questions about the recovery ask in the developer thread.

1. Install the Bootstrap APK file.
    2. Allow Superuser Powers.
    3. Read the instructions which is displayed on the user interface.
    5. You will now see a splashscreen after you reboot (before boot animation), here you can decide if you want to enter recovery or continue with boot.
    -Method Under Constuction-

Unroot or temporary unroot

Temp Unroot - If you need to unroot for any reason and come back at any time, then install OTA Rootkeeper and then select the option "temp unroot). This will remove root without restarting and you can restore by a touch of a button.

Full remove of Root - If you want to complety remove root all together, if you need to send in your device for repair or trading your device. Install Ginger Unroot and continue with the onscreen instructions. This application has confirmed to work on the Xoom2/Xyboard.​
    Jelly Bean soak test invitations went out 10/27/13!!! Won't be long.

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk
    Here is a link to some mods I have started for our device http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2053048.

Sent from my MZ617 using xda app-developers app
    I don't think this is caused by the root method as I have heard successful reports of rooted xyboard owners upgrading to 3.2.2 fine. But a user on this forum http://rootzwiki.com/topic/18963-up...514mz617enuszip/page__pid__497187#entry497187 has uploaded a zip version of the update, I'm assuming that you can flash this by the stock recovery somehow.

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2
    I was going to include instructions in my post @ rootzwiki on how to install this update through recovery in my post but I haven't been able to get recovery to mount the internal or an external storage(thumbdrive or sdcard with dongle).
    I tried leaving the name alone and with it renamed to update.zip with no success.

Note: I pulled the files from my VZW xyboard 10.1. I can not confirm that it is the same update for all versions of the Xoom2/xyboard variants.
    I think the problem is coming from the fact that I removed some verizon bloat. And when it tries to run the update it hangs on verifying a file called vcast-vzw-signed-fleming.apk . If someone could possibly upload a copy of this file i would appreciate it. it is from the /data/app folder.

Have a look for the file in a xyboard dump like this - http://www.mydroidworld.com/topic/1...7-117279-system-dump/page__unlockUserAgent__1 :)

Sent from my Motorola Xoom 2