[TOOL] Backup & Restore EFS (IMEI) for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 / S4 GT-I9500

Search This thread

AHLASSICH

Dec 15, 2012
Backup EFS

its very easy, u can unrar with winrar... go to "efs_backup_restore_windows_scripts_v3" folder and click on "efs_backup.cmd" , on your phone will ask to superuser grant thats all.

I downloaded a program called "7 Zip" and extracted the script. This is probably a stupid question but where do you run the script? Tried the CMD prompt and the script will run but it does not do anything to the phone. It just runs on the PC and returns an error "file not found". I did have the phone connected in download mode but nothing happened.

Oh, I just read that you have to give root permission to ADB. Apparently you have to run the script in ADB?

Where do I get ADB and how do I run the script in it? Step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

ayfon

Dec 11, 2010
istanbul
OnePlus 6T
Redmi Note 10 Pro
I downloaded a program called "7 Zip" and extracted the script. This is probably a stupid question but where do you run the script? Tried the CMD prompt and the script will run but it does not do anything to the phone. It just runs on the PC and returns an error "file not found". I did have the phone connected in download mode but nothing happened.

Oh, I just read that you have to give root permission to ADB. Apparently you have to run the script in ADB?

Where do I get ADB and how do I run the script in it? Step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

you dont need download mode, connect usb to your phone and run the script , there will open cmd command prompt and than on your phone will come popup of root permission on your phone give easy grant after 10 second backup ready in the folder from script. sorry for english.

AHLASSICH

Dec 15, 2012
EFS Backup

The script appears to work on the Samsung Galaxy Note II SGH-I317 (ATT).

It put a file called efs.img into the same directory as the backup.cmd file. That is fine.

I am comfused about where it put it on my phone. I performed a search for efs.img and found it in two places. Is that correct.?

I found it at /data/media/efs.img and also /mnt/sdcard/efs.img. The time stamp corresponds to the date and time that I did the procedure.

Is it working as intended or is something amiss?

Thanks a bunch!:good:

examiner

Oct 25, 2011
batangas
thank you for this ive managed to back-up my efs to my computer..Working on PACMAN n7100 running latest nightly ..now i have 2 back ups..one in my phone and in my pc..thanks

kfyros

Feb 7, 2008
Well ,the backup cmd,
didn't copy the file on the working folder on the pc,
so i found it in the sdcard folder of the smartphone (which is the built in storage on samsung devices),
and copied it my self .

The file is 20 megabytes.

Probably some access rights issue..

tallus

Nov 15, 2009
I'm trying to do a restore using the script, but keep getting the same error message:

Press CTRL+C to cancel

'CHOICE' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

--- Push efs image "efs.img" to phone "/sdcard/efs.img" ---
The system cannot find the path specified.

--- Restore efs image "efs.img" from phone "/sdcard/efs.img" ---

--- TRY KILLING ADB DAEMON / EVENTUALLY SHOWN ERRORS BELOW CAN BE IGNORED
ERROR: The process "adb.exe" not found.

--- RESTORE SCRIPT IS FINISHED

Your EFS partition is restored from "/sdcard/efs.img"

For any feedback or when having problems feel free to contact me at XDA.
Please include also your phone model and Windows version if you have problems.

Press any key to continue . . .

This is driving me up the wall at this stage.

underlines

Aug 26, 2011
Bangkok
Is it possible to backup the EFS from an old Samsung Galaxy S2, and restore it on a new phone like the Note2 or Note3?
So we could have a spare EFS backup in case there's a problem with a new phone...

My guess is that the EFS files have an identical structure on all Androids and don't change with different models/manufacturers.

herege

Aug 2, 2007
Sines
Hello,

I have a tar.gz file with my EFS backup and not a .bin one.
Can I use this script to make the restore or what is the best method to restore my IMEI in my International GT-N7100?

Thanks in advanced

HassanM

Aug 29, 2012
Hi friends....

Im really confused here.... I downloaded the zip file (340kb) and have it on my desktop... When I use WinZip to extract the files, it gives me an error... However when I double click on the file, WinZip Window opens and shows me 5 files in it ; Adb.exe , AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, efs_backup.cmd and efs_restore.cmd.

Plz advise...

Thanks in advance

mw86

Jul 17, 2012
Afton
forum.techinferno.com
Hi friends....

Im really confused here.... I downloaded the zip file (340kb) and have it on my desktop... When I use WinZip to extract the files, it gives me an error... However when I double click on the file, WinZip Window opens and shows me 5 files in it ; Adb.exe , AdbWinApi.dll, AdbWinUsbApi.dll, efs_backup.cmd and efs_restore.cmd.

Plz advise...

Thanks in advance

Now that you have your efs backed up since my tip to use winrar to extract worked, could you leave other users any tips that would help while doing this process.

rakeshtiw

Nov 21, 2007
New Delhi
I'm trying to do a restore using the script, but keep getting the same error message:

Press CTRL+C to cancel

'CHOICE' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

--- Push efs image "efs.img" to phone "/sdcard/efs.img" ---

--- Restore efs image "efs.img" from phone "/sdcard/efs.img" ---

--- RESTORE SCRIPT IS FINISHED

Your EFS partition is restored from "/sdcard/efs.img"

For any feedback or when having problems feel free to contact me at XDA.
Please include also your phone model and Windows version if you have problems.

This is driving me up the wall at this stage.

I got the same error when I tried to backup efs. I realised my efs_backup file was too deep in sub-sub-sub directory structure in windows using long file name for directories. The problem was solved and successful EFS backup taken once i moved the EFS_Backup folder to "c:\" in my win7 OS. My device is Note2 N7100.

Reactions: tallus

tallus

Nov 15, 2009
I got the same error when I tried to backup efs. I realised my efs_backup file was too deep in sub-sub-sub directory structure in windows using long file name for directories. The problem was solved and successful EFS backup taken once i moved the EFS_Backup folder to "c:\" in my win7 OS. My device is Note2 N7100.

Thanks for the reply.

I ended up returning the phone to the Samsung repair centre to have it repaired. They quoted the problem as a "calibration" issue, and didn't charge me so I'm happy with the outcome.

inamie

Aug 16, 2012
KLang
It works with Samsung Galaxy GT-i9152, Galaxy Mega 5.8

it works for me too on Mega 5.8...but the size of efs.img is only 256kb. Is that correct?

for note 2 is about 20MB.. :confused:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using emulator on phone:
mount > /sdcard/mount_info.txt <---- read text on internal memory and get info mmcblk0p? for efs

su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p?? of=/mnt/sdcard/efs.img <----- this will backup efs.img on phone.
20 MB ~ 20.480 kb

Or

On PC
edit script "/dev/block/mmcblk0p3" to "/dev/block/mmcblk0p??" youll get the efs.img for your device on PC.

*/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 for my Mega 5.8 (20 MB ~ 20.480 kb).. hope this is correct.

Last edited:

omdevsinh

May 12, 2013
How to use this script please answer? ???

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ekunagba

Feb 11, 2013
This is a simple script, to backup and restore the EFS / IMEI partition of the N7100 and other Samsung phones under Windows OS.

It is tested by me on a Galaxy Note 2 / GT-N7100 under Windows 8, but reported by users to work also for other phones, see details below.

Please let me know, if its also working on N7105, S3 or other Samsungs ;)

See the attachment file and let me know, if it is useful to you.

Requirements before running the scripts:
  • Developer Options -> USB Debugging must be enabled
  • Phone must be rooted and root access given for ADB Shell access
  • Phone Drivers must be installed correctly on your OS
  • Connect the phone by USB and run one of the scripts

Reported Devices by users which are working:
  • Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100
  • Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 (reported by "iznee", thanks)

CHANGELOG - SCRIPTS LAST UPDATED 2013-05-11
  • v3 - Updated text output of the scripts
  • v2 - Updated ADB binary files

Hit the THANKS button if you like it!

Why my scripts?

I was inspired by batch scripts of xda user "as i9000".

But his "Windows" scripts did not satisfy me, because there where file not found issues, and in my opinion missing checks, that made me build up my own scripts from scratch...

Great, backed up successfully. It first gave an error message but succeeded on second trial!

92MB

Jul 20, 2009
EFS Backup !

Hi, I have been trying to backup and I get this answer below : Also I never get any notification from SU to grant permision. What I am doing wrong ?

BACKUP of EFS for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - GT-N7100

'RESTORE' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

--- START ADB DAEMON AND WAIT FOR DEVICE

--- Backup efs image to phone sdcard ---

--- Pulling backup "efs.img" from phone to computer ---

--- ERROR OCCURED

The backup of your EFS partition could not be created.

Please contact me by xda developers and post this output with an explanation
of what you exactly did. Include also your phone model and Windows version.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [TOOL] Backup & Restore EFS (IMEI) for Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100 / S4 GT-I9500

This is a simple script, to backup and restore the EFS / IMEI partition of the N7100 and other Samsung phones under Windows OS.

It is tested by me on a Galaxy Note 2 / GT-N7100 under Windows 8, but reported by users to work also for other phones, see details below.

• Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100

Why my scripts?

But his "Windows" scripts did not satisfy me, because there where file not found issues, and in my opinion missing checks, that made me build up my own scripts from scratch...
    I fear you have not understood what I was telling.I could not backup EFS as the Tool is is saying "error: write faileure during connection" and stopping there without making Backup.What might be the reason for the Tool is not able to establish connection with the phone?I have enabled the phone USB Debugging and Unknown sources.Also in my PC(Windows XP) the Firewall and Antivirus is disabled.I had also installed Samsung Drivers(not Kies).Now please suggest the remedy.

I understand very well.

I fear you did understand what information I need to give you support:

- Do you have an SD card, Yes / No ?
    - Screenshot or exact copy of the console output to see at exactly at which position you get the error?

Other checks you can do:
    If you use custom firmware, you can check the mount path of sd, because I create a temporary copy to /sdcard/efs.img. If the path dont exist it might give an error.
    Try the script 2x because it might kill another version of running ADB at the end of the script.
    If you still get the error try to run the command manually.

Open a console
    run: ADB SHELL

You should get to a shell where you can access your phone and use "ls" to show the content of the local directory.

If you dont get that far there is something wrong with your drivers, OS configuration or phone...

Phone needs USB debugging enabled and it must be rooted / superuser rights granted over ADB!
    This is a script to backup and restore the EFS partition / IMEI of the N7100.

It is only tested on N7100, please let me know, if its also working on N7105, S3 or S4 other Samsungs ;)

But his Windows scripts did not satisfy me, because there where file not found issues, and in my opinion missing checks that made me build up my own scripts from scratch...

See the attachment and let me know if its useful for you :D

Hit the THANKS if you like it!

I tried this on galaxy note 2 GT-N7100 and galaxy S4 GT-i9500 both worked succesfully. Thanks:good:

• Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7100

Why my scripts?

gt-I9505xxuamdm....it works: :highfive:
    The file il 128kb...it'ok?
    Thanks
    Hi, how long does the thing take to backup? it seems to be running forever..