[Q] NEW Nook Color rootable? article...

Search This thread

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
hey, I am new to the tablet world, I tried to search for this and look in the recent post and didnt really find the answer I was looking for....

So if I buy a new or refurbished Nook Color right now from B&N... will I be able to root it?!

this article is old... so I am not sure if this is the case?

any advice Please

WARNING - READ THIS FIRST: Barnes and Noble has introduced a new hardware revision which bricks your unit if you install their official 1.0.0 Firmware (A step needed to root). As of right now, Nooks with serial #s starting with 1003 (running firmware 1.5) cannot be rooted, and should NOT be attempted. See nookdevs New_Hardware_Revision for more details before you think of trying this!

nooktalk.net/news/time-to-hack-root-your-nook

THANKS!

cant post the regular link yet

nookd

Jan 15, 2012
Just buy from eBay or Craigslist you'll find it cheaper n rootable

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium App

Reactions: alexwick

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
Well, where is the difference if I buy it new from eBay?! How is it more or less rootable...? If it is new it is new No matter where it comes from or?!
and 135$ for refurbished didn't seem bad... Or?!
Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
First.... those may be Nooks and NOT Nook Colors... The newest firmware for Nook Color or Nook Tablets is 1.4.1 and you reference FW ver 1.5.

Also, I don't know of any NC's or NT's with serial numbers below 2000 first 4 digits.

Additionally, with the newer rooting tools available, you don't need to install anything prior to 1.4.1 to root them.

Last edited:

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
I am aware the article is old... So short answer...

A new bought nook can be rooted?!?

Last edited:

MISRy

Oct 25, 2011
Kay See Emmoh
Short answer, yes.

My base FW is 1.0.0. I'm running the 20120217 build of Mirage-Kang from eMMC.

I can't imagine how it could get much more rooted than this unless it would be to follow the directions to root it to the letter but if I did that then I wouldn't be much of an Asshole and I am a journeyman Asshole so there you have it.

Oh, and I don't feel terribly compelled to take it out of the case to look at the serial.

:D

DizzyDen

Feb 7, 2011
Short answer, yes.

My base FW is 1.0.0. I'm running the 20120217 build of Mirage-Kang from eMMC.

I can't imagine how it could get much more rooted than this unless it would be to follow the directions to root it to the letter but if I did that then I wouldn't be much of an Asshole and I am a journeyman Asshole so there you have it.

Oh, and I don't feel terribly compelled to take it out of the case to look at the serial.

:D

But do you have a Nook... or a Nook Color?

I mean yeah the Nook is rootable... but I didn't know a Mirage Kang was done for it.

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
Just ordered a refurbished nook color for 135$ hope will get it rooted fine... Which is the best thread for noobs here to get it rooted?!

BruceMcF

Feb 6, 2012
Just ordered a refurbished nook color for 135$ hope will get it rooted fine...
Since there is a manual nooter for the 1.4, there's no problem rooting it.

Which is the best thread for noobs here to get it rooted?!
Which rooting do you wish to do? If you want to run the stock B&N apps side by side with apps downloaded from the B&N market, then first register the refurbished system with B&N, then go to NC developer forum and look in "[NC][1.4.1] ManualNooter 5.02.19". That's a couple of minor version steps past the one I used, but it looked like its got it all pulled together from the three different sources of info I used last month.

I wanted to keep Nook Comics support in the stock ereader, so I opted for the manual nooter.

If you want to do a CM7/CM9/MIUI root, which installs alternate firmware for the system instead of modifying the existing firmware to allow Android market apps ... well then, I dunno, as after experimenting with a CM7 sd sidecard, I opted for the manual nooter approach. I'd look in the developer forum for the most recent thread with detailed install instructions for the firmware I wanted to install.

mateorod

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 16, 2011
New Orleans
www.gigmasters.com
Pretty off topic, but this helped me when I needed to exchange a nook color that I had lost the box for. If you need your serial number, it is inside the flap that covers the micro SD slot.

There are other ways to find it, but if you are on the phone with support and a rooted nook, this is a useful thing.

May 26, 2011
I also just bought a refurb Nook Color. It is running 1.3.0 out of the box. I want to root it then install CM7. However I can't find any clear posts on how to. Either they are all for earlier FW or 1.4. Should I update to 1.4 before Nootering? If so which MNooter should I use? Or is it recommended to just Nooter 1.3? Again which Mnooter should I use for 1.3?

Thanks

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
Since there is a manual nooter for the 1.4, there's no problem rooting it.

Which rooting do you wish to do? If you want to run the stock B&N apps side by side with apps downloaded from the B&N market, then first register the refurbished system with B&N, then go to NC developer forum and look in "[NC][1.4.1] ManualNooter 5.02.19". That's a couple of minor version steps past the one I used, but it looked like its got it all pulled together from the three different sources of info I used last month.

I wanted to keep Nook Comics support in the stock ereader, so I opted for the manual nooter.

If you want to do a CM7/CM9/MIUI root, which installs alternate firmware for the system instead of modifying the existing firmware to allow Android market apps ... well then, I dunno, as after experimenting with a CM7 sd sidecard, I opted for the manual nooter approach. I'd look in the developer forum for the most recent thread with detailed install instructions for the firmware I wanted to install.

Can I not install cm7 on the SD and the regular b&n system when boot from internal memory?!

bobstro

Jun 6, 2009
I also just bought a refurb Nook Color. It is running 1.3.0 out of the box. I want to root it then install CM7. However I can't find any clear posts on how to. Either they are all for earlier FW or 1.4. Should I update to 1.4 before Nootering? If so which MNooter should I use? Or is it recommended to just Nooter 1.3? Again which Mnooter should I use for 1.3?
You do not need to root the B&N firmware before loading CM7. You do need to decide whether you want to run CM7 on internal eMMC or external SD. If you plan to install CM7 to eMMC, you will over-write the B&N firmware, so rooting it is pointless. Once you've decided that, we can point you in the right direction.

There are also guides here on rooting B&N firmware that you can locate with a bit of searching.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:14 PM ----------

Can I not install cm7 on the SD and the regular b&n system when boot from internal memory?!
Yes, you can.

Last edited:

BruceMcF

Feb 6, 2012
Yes, as I said, that's the setup I was using when I decided I prefer a manual nooter. Among your choices, you can:

(1) Replace the stock firmware with an alternative, such as CM7
(2) Run CM7 off a booting SD card and run stock B&N from internal memory
(3) Root the stock B&N system and then load and run Android market apps alongside the B&N built-in and B&N store apps.

I wanted to keep the features of the 1.4.1 ereader, including Nook Comics support, so for me (1) was out, and I only needed a few apps from the Android Store, so I finally settled on (3) to avoid having to boot back and forth between the two systems. But first I did (2) to try things out and get an idea of whether I wanted to root the B&N firmware or replace it with something like CM7.

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
Yes, as I said, that's the setup I was using when I decided I prefer a manual nooter. Among your choices, you can:

(1) Replace the stock firmware with an alternative, such as CM7
(2) Run CM7 off a booting SD card and run stock B&N from internal memory
(3) Root the stock B&N system and then load and run Android market apps alongside the B&N built-in and B&N store apps.

I wanted to keep the features of the 1.4.1 ereader, including Nook Comics support, so for me (1) was out, and I only needed a few apps from the Android Store, so I finally settled on (3) to avoid having to boot back and forth between the two systems. But first I did (2) to try things out and get an idea of whether I wanted to root the B&N firmware or replace it with something like CM7.
It think I wanna go for option 2&3, can I not root the B&N internal system and also run CM 7 from SD card?
Do I have to take the SD card in and out depending in which one i wanna boot!?

Also another question... The whole reason this rooting is done if I understand correctly is to have access to all the systems in the NC, where do I get the Apps from ? Do I still have to get them through the market? Or can I download them somewhere!?

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
Got a question... Git my nook today, and it seems to be lagging quite a bit sometimes... Is that normal? Sometimes tottaly unresponsive... Is this normal?!

BruceMcF

Feb 6, 2012
It think I wanna go for option 2&3, can I not root the B&N internal system and also run CM 7 from SD card?
Taking the SD card in and out depending on which one I wanted to boot, then full power off and power on was the way I did it. Don't know if there's a better way, but never saw a better way mentioned.

You can indeed run CM7 from an SD card and root the B&N internal system. That would allow you to use Nook Tweaks in the CM7 side to, for example, run a keyboard off the USB port and overclock the chip ~ neither of which you can do with the stock kernel ~ and still have the use of the 1.4.1 ereader for Nook Comics or media-enhanced ebooks.

Get a main microSD card for the CM7 SD card install. Follow the CM7 SD card instructions to do the CM7 SD card install on the big card.

And then get another microSD card (2GB Class 4 is plenty) and follow the 1.4.1 manual nooter instructions to root the stock B&N kernel.

Also another question... The whole reason this rooting is done if I understand correctly is to have access to all the systems in the NC, where do I get the Apps from ? Do I still have to get them through the market? Or can I download them somewhere!?
If you follow the CM7 SD card install directions, you will have access to the full Android Market on that install. Same thing if you follow the 1.4.1 manual nooter instructions ~ you will have access to the Android Market via the Nook Color Application Manager, and if you want can put the Android Market on the B&N Home Screen.

Its best to have a gmail.com account already, for the Android market registration, so sign up for one of those before starting the process if you don't already have one. And from the Android Market, you can also install the other markets (Amazon, 1mobile, GetJar) if you prefer one of those.

Got a question... Git my nook today, and it seems to be lagging quite a bit sometimes... Is that normal? Sometimes tottaly unresponsive... Is this normal?!
It can be laggy, especially if you have too much load on it. Sometimes I'm surprised at how many windows I have open in the stock browser. Turning it all the way off will shut down apps that you may have left unclosed, free up RAM, and its normally back to its normal self.

Mind, the gurus have Android apps that can be used to shut down individual apps, but the brute force approach seems to work for me.

alexwick

Feb 25, 2012
thanks for the quick detailed reply...
for the LAGS, well I dont have hardly anything open... the only thing i installed and bought was from the market. Angry Birds... and it seems sometime it will not respond to the throwing of the bird, but just scale the screen... even to exit the game and after the game is closed it seems to not respond properly... having to tap a button 5 times until it responds... and than it works fine after a reboot... and than a couple hours later same thing in the game... ..
also it seems like internetpages like nick.com seem to load forever and are very laggy. I ahve a 10 MBIT Internet connectio over wifi, so that shouldnt be a problem....

To teh dual Systems...Do I also need a second 2GB card for the rooted internal stock system, or is that just for the installation of it!?

I actually do have a 16 GB and a 2 GB at home already...

"If you follow the CM7 SD card install directions, you will have access to the full Android Market on that install. Same thing if you follow the 1.4.1 manual nooter instructions ~ you will have access to the Android Market via the Nook Color Application Manager, and if you want can put the Android Market on the B&N Home Screen."
Well on my android phone... most of the apps are available I believe for free on the forums... is this similar here... or do I have to buy them!? BTW My phone is not rooted...

The System is some 1.3 version I received... will I need to update to 1.4 first!?

I also do already have a gmail account... its a german one though xxx@googlemail.de but that should be fine ... It is the german GMAIL

Also linked the nook to th BN Store I believe...Is tehre any waay to check?!
Should I not be able to stream netflix... with the regular nook!?

ONCE AGAIN THANKS FOR YOUR TIME !!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: gsutton

BruceMcF

Feb 6, 2012
... also it seems like internetpages like nick.com seem to load forever and are very laggy. I ahve a 10 MBIT Internet connectio over wifi, so that shouldnt be a problem....
That's just the stock Android Browser and an 800MHz single core system with 512Mb RAM plowing through a site with all the bells and whistles and targetted at a PC. Try the Dolphin HD browser (its in the B&N store, and its free so no worry about having to re-download it from the Android market to your CM7 install) ... it has an option to hold off flash content until you actually want to run it that can really speed up some sites.

To teh dual Systems...Do I also need a second 2GB card for the rooted internal stock system, or is that just for the installation of it!?

Installation ... you want a good sized card for the CM7 install, and reading and storing an image from a large card, then formatting it and writing the install card image, then saving the install card image, formatting, and restoring the CM7 install image is a royal pain.

Note that you probably want to keep the install card as a bootable recovery card. 1GB is enough to do the manual noot, but 2GB is enough to hold the recovery of the original stock B&N before you do the manual root. 4GB is even better, as it can hold a recovery of the stock B&N as well as a recovery of the system right after it is manually nooted, in case you do something later to get it messed up.

And you can get a 4GB Class 4 card for $5 with free shipping from Amazon ~ the new 32GB flash cards have pushed the price of the smaller ones way down ~ so to my mind that's worth it to be able to set aside a recovery card.

Well on my android phone... most of the apps are available I believe for free on the forums... is this similar here... or do I have to buy them!? BTW My phone is not rooted...
Yes. There are paid apps, but both the CM7 install or the manual nooter give full access to a wide range of free apps on the main Android Market, and allow you to install 1mobile, GetJar, or Amazon if you prefer any of those markets.

The System is some 1.3 version I received... will I need to update to 1.4 first!?
Not for the SD card install of CM7. Be sure to follow the instructions for making an SD card install on a 1.3 system.

You'll want to upgrade for a rooted stock B&N Kernel to 1.4.2, because its only 1.4 that has the updated ereader, Nook Color tailored Netflix app, likely B&N Store HuluPlus this Friday ... if you were replacing the stock Kernel, there's be no reason to update, and the installs for the 1.3 system are more mature ... but if you want to keep the B&N Kernel, upgrade to 1.4.2. before you lock it down from further OTA updates.

I also do already have a gmail account... its a german one though xxx@googlemail.de but that should be fine ... It is the german GMAIL
I'd don't know from personal experience, but I've seen some warnings about it being best to have a gmail.com account. Just to be safe, I'd sign up for a gmail.com account and give your primary gmail account as the email account used to confirm that you are a real person. Save it in an "Accounts" folder in your main gmail if you are unlikely to use it for anything except the Android market.

Before you start working on the unit, go to the store (its on the navbar) search for apps and download a free app. Dolphin HD is a good one. If it downloads and installs, you are linked to the B&N store.

Reactions: gsutton

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Taking the SD card in and out depending on which one I wanted to boot, then full power off and power on was the way I did it. Don't know if there's a better way, but never saw a better way mentioned.

You can indeed run CM7 from an SD card and root the B&N internal system. That would allow you to use Nook Tweaks in the CM7 side to, for example, run a keyboard off the USB port and overclock the chip ~ neither of which you can do with the stock kernel ~ and still have the use of the 1.4.1 ereader for Nook Comics or media-enhanced ebooks.

Get a main microSD card for the CM7 SD card install. Follow the CM7 SD card instructions to do the CM7 SD card install on the big card.

And then get another microSD card (2GB Class 4 is plenty) and follow the 1.4.1 manual nooter instructions to root the stock B&N kernel.

If you follow the CM7 SD card install directions, you will have access to the full Android Market on that install. Same thing if you follow the 1.4.1 manual nooter instructions ~ you will have access to the Android Market via the Nook Color Application Manager, and if you want can put the Android Market on the B&N Home Screen.

Its best to have a gmail.com account already, for the Android market registration, so sign up for one of those before starting the process if you don't already have one. And from the Android Market, you can also install the other markets (Amazon, 1mobile, GetJar) if you prefer one of those.

It can be laggy, especially if you have too much load on it. Sometimes I'm surprised at how many windows I have open in the stock browser. Turning it all the way off will shut down apps that you may have left unclosed, free up RAM, and its normally back to its normal self.

Mind, the gurus have Android apps that can be used to shut down individual apps, but the brute force approach seems to work for me.
    Just buy from eBay or Craigslist you'll find it cheaper n rootable

Sent from my NookColor using XDA Premium App
    First.... those may be Nooks and NOT Nook Colors... The newest firmware for Nook Color or Nook Tablets is 1.4.1 and you reference FW ver 1.5.

Also, I don't know of any NC's or NT's with serial numbers below 2000 first 4 digits.

Additionally, with the newer rooting tools available, you don't need to install anything prior to 1.4.1 to root them.
    [...] From:
    nooktalk.net/news/time-to-hack-root-your-nook
    At the very top of that article, it states:

Last Updated on Wednesday, 29 December 2010 12:54

You might find reading more recent articles a bit more revealing. A few things have happened since 2010.
    ... also it seems like internetpages like nick.com seem to load forever and are very laggy. I ahve a 10 MBIT Internet connectio over wifi, so that shouldnt be a problem....
    That's just the stock Android Browser and an 800MHz single core system with 512Mb RAM plowing through a site with all the bells and whistles and targetted at a PC. Try the Dolphin HD browser (its in the B&N store, and its free so no worry about having to re-download it from the Android market to your CM7 install) ... it has an option to hold off flash content until you actually want to run it that can really speed up some sites.

Installation ... you want a good sized card for the CM7 install, and reading and storing an image from a large card, then formatting it and writing the install card image, then saving the install card image, formatting, and restoring the CM7 install image is a royal pain.

Note that you probably want to keep the install card as a bootable recovery card. 1GB is enough to do the manual noot, but 2GB is enough to hold the recovery of the original stock B&N before you do the manual root. 4GB is even better, as it can hold a recovery of the stock B&N as well as a recovery of the system right after it is manually nooted, in case you do something later to get it messed up.

And you can get a 4GB Class 4 card for $5 with free shipping from Amazon ~ the new 32GB flash cards have pushed the price of the smaller ones way down ~ so to my mind that's worth it to be able to set aside a recovery card.

Yes. There are paid apps, but both the CM7 install or the manual nooter give full access to a wide range of free apps on the main Android Market, and allow you to install 1mobile, GetJar, or Amazon if you prefer any of those markets.

Not for the SD card install of CM7. Be sure to follow the instructions for making an SD card install on a 1.3 system.

You'll want to upgrade for a rooted stock B&N Kernel to 1.4.2, because its only 1.4 that has the updated ereader, Nook Color tailored Netflix app, likely B&N Store HuluPlus this Friday ... if you were replacing the stock Kernel, there's be no reason to update, and the installs for the 1.3 system are more mature ... but if you want to keep the B&N Kernel, upgrade to 1.4.2. before you lock it down from further OTA updates.

I'd don't know from personal experience, but I've seen some warnings about it being best to have a gmail.com account. Just to be safe, I'd sign up for a gmail.com account and give your primary gmail account as the email account used to confirm that you are a real person. Save it in an "Accounts" folder in your main gmail if you are unlikely to use it for anything except the Android market.

Before you start working on the unit, go to the store (its on the navbar) search for apps and download a free app. Dolphin HD is a good one. If it downloads and installs, you are linked to the B&N store.