Volume seems...low?

Search This thread

Locklear308

Feb 6, 2012
Loganville
Google Pixel 6a
So... Not sure what's going on. But my m8 seems to only be loud on the last 3 clicks of the volume slider. Anything below that is almost inaudiabe.

Is this normal?

Sound just doesn't travel far either. I'm running skydragon with the hardon karmon thing. So maybe that's bugged?

Just need to know what volumes I should expect.

TheEmpyre

Sep 23, 2012
Definitely abnormal. I have to keep my phone reasonably low or else my ring tone is obnoxiously loud. One thing I know I have on my phone is that the speaker grills are a little bit occluded with what looks like where they drilled holes for the speakers. They are filled with material which does impede sound. Doesn't impact my experience enough to degrade the experience as a whole but check it out

Sent from my HTC One_M8

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Assume you are talking about the speakers (versus headphone volume), as you don't specify, but do mention how the sound "travels".

Similar to the above response, I find the volume to be just great. The loudest speakers on any smartphone I've owned, by far. Normally have it at about 2/3 max volume when listening to music with the device somewhat nearby (maybe about 5-10 feet from where I am) and find it plenty loud enough to enjoy and hear details in the sound, etc. But still able to hear people in the room talking to me. The last couple "clicks" on the volume slider are too loud for me under most circumstances, actually. Of course that depends a bit on your own tastes (on how loud you want it), what you are listening to, how far you are from the phone, etc.

Ringtone volume anywhere above maybe 1/3 is obnoxiously loud.

I'd try a different ROM. I'm presently on InsertCoin, which has Harmon Kardon, but does not seem to have affected the overall volume significantly. It might be the ROM you are on, or some result of your settings/configuration. Hopefully its just the ROM, and not some sort of hardware defect.

Locklear308

Feb 6, 2012
Loganville
Google Pixel 6a
Assume you are talking about the speakers (versus headphone volume), as you don't specify, but do mention how the sound "travels".

Similar to the above response, I find the volume to be just great. The loudest speakers on any smartphone I've owned, by far. Normally have it at about 2/3 max volume when listening to music with the device somewhat nearby (maybe about 5-10 feet from where I am) and find it plenty loud enough to enjoy and hear details in the sound, etc. But still able to hear people in the room talking to me. The last couple "clicks" on the volume slider are too loud for me under most circumstances, actually. Of course that depends a bit on your own tastes (on how loud you want it), what you are listening to, how far you are from the phone, etc.

Ringtone volume anywhere above maybe 1/3 is obnoxiously loud.

I'd try a different ROM. I'm presently on InsertCoin, which has Harmon Kardon, but does not seem to have affected the overall volume significantly. It might be the ROM you are on, or some result of your settings/configuration. Hopefully its just the ROM, and not some sort of hardware defect.

Ah! Thank you mate. That gives me a much better idea of the phone's potential.

Also...I'm very gentle with my electronics, how durable are the speakers to damage?

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Also...I'm very gentle with my electronics, how durable are the speakers to damage?

You mean like blowing them out? I don't think you will do that just by playing MP3, streaming music, etc. Once you have the low volume issue resolved, you might just keep the volume a notch or 2 below max volume to be safe. But I wouldn't worry about it too much.

modest_mandroid

May 23, 2010
One thing I know I have on my phone is that the speaker grills are a little bit occluded with what looks like where they drilled holes for the speakers. They are filled with material which does impede sound. Doesn't impact my experience enough to degrade the experience as a whole but check it out

The speakers actually do not span the length of the speaker grill. The obstruction you're seeing on ~50% of the bottom grill and ~40% of the top grill are other hardware components (headphone/usb ports on bottom, camera module, etc. on top). The actual speakers are only on the left half of both grills, which you can test by playing music and covering the right sides with your thumbs, then the left sides.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

I regularly blast them on max volume in lieu of the radio my piece of **** car doesn't have. I do this twice a day for about 30 minutes both ways, and haven't noticed any damage or degradation.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    One thing I know I have on my phone is that the speaker grills are a little bit occluded with what looks like where they drilled holes for the speakers. They are filled with material which does impede sound. Doesn't impact my experience enough to degrade the experience as a whole but check it out

The speakers actually do not span the length of the speaker grill. The obstruction you're seeing on ~50% of the bottom grill and ~40% of the top grill are other hardware components (headphone/usb ports on bottom, camera module, etc. on top). The actual speakers are only on the left half of both grills, which you can test by playing music and covering the right sides with your thumbs, then the left sides.

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

I regularly blast them on max volume in lieu of the radio my piece of **** car doesn't have. I do this twice a day for about 30 minutes both ways, and haven't noticed any damage or degradation.