[G800F/M/Y][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for G800F/M/Y [Alpha 15/08/2015]

Search This thread

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
This is a CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (G800F/G800M/G800Y). Support for G800M is untested so far.

DO NOT USE IT FOR G800H OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
Although G800F and G800H share the same name they are not related in terms of hardware due to the different SoCs used (Exynos vs. Snapdragon).
Hence please do not ask for support or ROMs for the G800H.

Working features
  • Receiving and making calls
  • Hardware sensors (Light, Orientation, Compass, Proximity, Acceleration)
  • Audio
  • Bluetooth (audio in HFP seems to be distorted with at least some headset devices)
  • Wifi
  • HW accelerated GUI
  • USB-OTG (Keyboard, Mouse, USB-Audio, Mass-Storage)
  • Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front)
  • MTP storage
  • IR
  • GPS
  • NFC

Non-working features:
  • Fingerprint scanner (no app for tests found)
  • Pulse sensor + Step counter (no app for tests found)
  • Hall sensor
  • SELinux

Known issues:

Disclaimer:
  • You flash this image at your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing this image (bricked device, lost data, ...)
  • Flashing this kernel image will trigger the KNOX counter, so your warranty will be void.
  • Applications that use KNOX (e.g. "Private Mode") might not work anymore when returning to the stock ROM, as the device is regarded as compromised. Do not flash this ROM if you need those applications.
  • The image is only for Exynos3470 based S5 Mini variants SM-G800F/M/Y.
  • It might be instable, crash your device, drain your battery, or even might damage your smartphone (e.g. if an USB-OTG device drains too much power)
  • Some users reported that their touch-screen stopped working permanently after some weeks of usage. For some user's (two at the moment including me) NFC stopped working permanently. Probably this issues are not related to this ROM as also many stock user's complain about hardware issues (random reboots, black screens, unresponsive touchscreen) but you have been warned.
  • Backup your data before flashing and check if the original firmware is present (e.g. at SamMobile)
Before you start:
  • Backup your data, like call history, contacts, sms, WhatsApp messages, favourite app settings that are on internal and external sd (by using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore). At least all internal data will be lost in any case. If you have bad luck you might also loose data from your external sd card.

Download:

Install recovery:
  • Reboot your device into Odin mode: turn off your device, then press Volume-Down + Home + Power button at the same time and release them.
  • Confirm the following warning message with the Volume-Up button.
  • Connect your device to your PC via USB
  • Make sure the device driver's are installed on your PC
  • Start Odin
  • In Odin select PDA and select the recovery image (recovery.tar.md5)
  • Check that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" is set
  • Click on "Start": the kernel image should be flashed now and the device should reboot afterwards. By flashing the recovery, your warranty will be void.
  • After the recovery flashing process was successful, power of your device. If not restart into Download mode and flash again or flash the stock rom.

Before you flash:
  • You need the latest TWRP recovery (see above). Otherwise TWRP might not be able to flash the ROM. This is because TWRP checks now if the device is "supported".
  • Wipe the device to avoid problems with remaining files from the old installation (see instructions below). This also applies if you already installed an older version of CM 12.1.

Flash CyanogenMod:
  • Reboot into recovery mode (Press Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
  • If you come from a stock ROM, this is your opportunity to make a Backup of your phone(Backup, then select Boot, System, Data, then swipe to backup). Note that the recovery might fail to restore the backup when you want to go back to the stock ROM (for me it got stuck after a restore during boot. But the backup was made with a different version of TWRP, so it might work in general) - simply do not expect too much of it at the moment.
  • If you haven't copied the installation files yet, you can now copy the GApps and CyanogenMod zip to your internal sd or external sd (be careful not to put the files into the data directory of the internal sd card as this will be deleted in the next step). Be sure that MTP is enabled (inside Mounts, click on Enable MTP), then, from your pc, copy the files. If MTP does not work from recovery, try it directly from Android or remove the external sd card from the phone and put it into your PC.
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe). Do not report problems if you did not wipe those partitions as the problems are most probably related to this!
  • Install the CM 12.1 ROM zip-package
  • Install the GApps zip-package
  • Reboot the system and enjoy a Lollipop

How to root:
No SuperSu is needed as CyanogenMod already comes with integrated root support. Root access is disabled by default.
You normally do not need root access. If you want to activate root access for apps, do the following:
  • Open the Settings menu, select "About Phone"
  • Tap on the "Build number" entry seven times. You should be notified, that the developer settings are now active.
  • Open the Settings menu, select "Developer options". Enable root access by selecting "Apps" in the "Root-Access" setting.

In case you want to go back to the stock ROM:
  • lf you do not have the latest ROM for the G800F you can download it from SamMobile
  • Reboot your phone into Odin mode
  • Open Odin on your PC and connect your smartphone with your PC via USB
  • If you have a zip-file unzip it so that you have a .tar.md5 file
  • In Odin click on the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file. Then press "Start".
  • Normally the stock rom fails to boot as the data from CM12 is still on the data partition. So after flashing the stock rom, reboot into recovery mode (it looks a bit different now). First wipe the data partition, then wipe the cache.
  • Reboot

Changelog
Code:
15/08/2015:
* Synchronize with newest CM 12.1 sources (contains stagefright patches)

08/07/2015:
* Update to latest CM-12.1 sources (LMY48G)
  * Camera app supports saving pictures to external SD-cards 
* Partition sizes of system and data slightly reduced to avoid "unable to mount /system" failure during installation on some variants of the G800 (e.g. G800Y)

19/05/2015:
* Update to CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1)
* Merged Kernel-sources from G800FXXU1ANL1 
* Re-enabled NFC
* TWRP update

11/04/2015:
* Update to CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1)
* Update to TWRP 2.8.6.0
* Fixed blinking capacitive touchkey lights
* Fixed unresponsive touchscreen on wake-up
* Added support for Automatic Brightness control
* Added advanced touchscreen settings (Glove and Hovering mode)
* Use open-source Light-HAL, Power-HAL and IR-HAL implementations
* Updated Power-Profiling

23/03/2015:
* Fixed non-working mic on incoming call issue
* Fixed non-working menu-button
* Synchronized with latest CyanogenMod sources

This section is for developers:
A README file with build instructions can be found here:
Code:
https://github.com/cm-3470/patcher_kminilte

Sources:
Code:
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_kminilte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_vendor_samsung_kminilte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_kernel_samsung_kminilte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_smdk3470-common

Developers welcome
  • At the moment the G800F/M/Y specific port of this ROM is only done by one person (hennymcc). Although Unjustified Dev also works on this ROM he does not own an Galaxy S5 Mini but a Galaxy Light which has a similar base but is different when it comes to camera, nfc and other components (maybe even slightly when it comes to audio and radio).
  • Help from other developers is always welcome. See the bug/feature section and this thread to see what is missing. Just give some short info (here in this thread or PM) that you want to work on some issue or feature so that work can be synchronized. Maybe there are also other devs that want to work with you on the same issue.
  • Knowledge in how the kernel works and good programming skills in C, C++ and Java would be nice but not necessary for all problems. At least you should be able to build the ROM and test your changes yourself but you do not need experience in porting ROMs.

Thanks to Unjustified Dev from Team Regular. As the S5 mini (G800F/M/Y) and the Galaxy Light are quite similar we worked on this together.

XDA:DevDB Information
[G800F/M/Y][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for G800F/M/Y [Alpha 15/08/2015], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
hennymcc, Unjustified Dev
Source Code: https://github.com/cm-3470

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery [version from 15/08/2015]
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-04-15
Last Updated 2015-09-22

Attachments

• cm12-g800f.jpg
    cm12-g800f.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 51,368
  • cm12-g800f2.jpg
    cm12-g800f2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 51,295
Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
FAQ:

Question:
I'm trying to flash this rom but it says to me: "This package is for kmniltexx, kminiltedv, kminilteub; this device is kminilte. E:Error executing updater binary zip ...."

Answer:
The device names were changed with the newest CM12 build to be able to distinguish between G800F (kmniltexx), G800Y (kminiltedv) and G800M (kminilteub) as all of them are kminilte devices. The new builds of TWRP and CM12 detect the correct device at runtime.
Older TWRP releases (for example that of RVR in another XDA thread) still detect the device as kminilte (instead of kmniltexx,...) and hence are not able to install the new CM 12 releases so please do not install RVR's TWRP if you want to install CM 12. Always use the TWRP image linked in the first post of this thread.

Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
As none of the pre-alpha testers reported any issues with NFC, I assume that the broken NFC of LS97 and me was caused by electrostatic discharge while removing and re-inserting the battery (at least I did this hundreds of times). In addition we already broke our NFC some weeks ago after having used 5.0.2 for some while, so this ROM should be at least as safe as 5.0.2 and there is no direct link between the custom ROM and the broken NFC.

Just as a precaution: to avoid damage of the NFC-chip (which is connected to the antenna in the battery) by electrostatic discharge, use the power button to reboot the smartphone instead of removing the battery.

What a nice first post for this new ROM :)

Last edited:

CTXz

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 11, 2015
Prague
Are the links above the same like the ones you posted into the comments in your 5.0.2 thread? Just so i know if something has changed in thos links obove.

n3n00

Dec 7, 2010
Split
So how is the Final version going to look like if this is Alpha... Damn [emoji41]

Nielsieboy

Feb 17, 2015
I have a small problem, everytime i touch the screen my capacitive buttons light up. I already tried disabling this in the settings but it doesn't let me do that.
Anyone have soms advice ?

CTXz

Apr 11, 2015
Prague
I have a small problem, everytime i touch the screen my capacitive buttons light up. I already tried disabling this in the settings but it doesn't let me do that.
Anyone have soms advice ?

Hey. What i did is just rather turn them off completely.

Settings > Buttons > Backlight > Uncheck Illuminate buttons

Else there is no fix, due cm12.1 universality it doesn't work with the buttons like the stock ROM did.

Nielsieboy

Feb 17, 2015
Hey. What i did is just rather turn them off completely.

Settings > Buttons > Backlight > Uncheck Illuminate buttons

Else there is no fix, due cm12.1 universality it doesn't work with the buttons like the stock ROM did.

Well tried that but The setting just changes back to the default. :(

CTXz

Apr 11, 2015
Prague
Well tried that but The setting just changes back to the default. :(

Ok thats wierd. Have you wiped all partitions you needed to like said above ( dalvik cache, cache, system, data )

If it gets verry anoying you might give a reflash a try. Also i know this sounds funny but did you atleast try rebooting the device?

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Also did you give this a shot https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deskangel.kblight

There are many more apps on gplay for button backlight. Just search it

DerMoeJoe

Feb 25, 2010
Xiaomi Mi A3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A8
i've flashed it yesterday over the old buidl (without full wipe). so i got FC's on several google apps.
after flashing several different gapps for lolipop 5.1 the errors with the FCs are still stere.

then i've made a full clean install with full wipe and installed the pa gapps from the 04-10-2015 and now everything works fine & smooth.
tommorrow ill gonna test the bluetooth cause on the old build there were sond errors....
but for now it looks very good

andix

Feb 20, 2015
I've discovered something. If you enable LiveDisplay the device will lag a bit.
And when you think I did a full wipe and reflashed the ROM, just to find out that my problem was related to this little feature...

CTXz

Apr 11, 2015
Prague
I personally don't see a lot of advantages in it and would not recommend it, especially for this phone, regardless of whether or not it's compatible.

Why not. I use it for daily use and i have to say i have less bugs than my stock rom had.
With that it boosted my phone like hell and there is no more lagg when oppening apps, going to the homescreen, scrolling through apps and no more touchwiz. Plus you got the newest android up to date. That fixed some app issues with my phone ( i no longer got the app not compatible error after lolipop. Oh yeah and no more bubble sounds when pressing on something Thaankk you! There are many other things that i preffer over the stock rom. So i see so much potential in this ROM and would preffer it as much as i can if you got a s5 mini g800f.

Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Why not. I use it for daily use and i have to say i have less bugs than my stock rom had.
With that it boosted my phone like hell and there is no more lagg when oppening apps, going to the homescreen, scrolling through apps and no more touchwiz. Plus you got the newest android up to date. That fixed some app issues with my phone ( i no longer got the app not compatible error after lolipop. Oh yeah and no more bubble sounds when pressing on something Thaankk you! There are many other things that i preffer over the stock rom. So i see so much potential in this ROM and would preffer it as much as i can if you got a s5 mini g800f.

The only way to find out if it works is to try it. So if you want this feature you can flash that mod and report if it works :).
I personally do not need it as I want the phone to turn off when I "power it off".

Note that the mod could cause stability issues. So before reporting bugs here you should reinstall CM 12.1 first with a full wipe and check if the problem is still present.

Edit:
this was supposed to be an answer to DerMoeJoe's question about the QuickBoot mod

Last edited:
Reactions: pad11

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy S5 mini (G800F/G800M/G800Y). Support for G800M is untested so far.

DO NOT USE IT FOR G800H OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
    Although G800F and G800H share the same name they are not related in terms of hardware due to the different SoCs used (Exynos vs. Snapdragon).
    Hence please do not ask for support or ROMs for the G800H.

Working features
    • Receiving and making calls
    • Hardware sensors (Light, Orientation, Compass, Proximity, Acceleration)
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth (audio in HFP seems to be distorted with at least some headset devices)
    • Wifi
    • HW accelerated GUI
    • USB-OTG (Keyboard, Mouse, USB-Audio, Mass-Storage)
    • Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front)
    • MTP storage
    • IR
    • GPS
    • NFC

Non-working features:
    • Fingerprint scanner (no app for tests found)
    • Pulse sensor + Step counter (no app for tests found)
    • Hall sensor
    • SELinux

Known issues:

Disclaimer:
    • You flash this image at your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing this image (bricked device, lost data, ...)
    • Flashing this kernel image will trigger the KNOX counter, so your warranty will be void.
    • Applications that use KNOX (e.g. "Private Mode") might not work anymore when returning to the stock ROM, as the device is regarded as compromised. Do not flash this ROM if you need those applications.
    • The image is only for Exynos3470 based S5 Mini variants SM-G800F/M/Y.
    • It might be instable, crash your device, drain your battery, or even might damage your smartphone (e.g. if an USB-OTG device drains too much power)
    • Some users reported that their touch-screen stopped working permanently after some weeks of usage. For some user's (two at the moment including me) NFC stopped working permanently. Probably this issues are not related to this ROM as also many stock user's complain about hardware issues (random reboots, black screens, unresponsive touchscreen) but you have been warned.
    • Backup your data before flashing and check if the original firmware is present (e.g. at SamMobile)
    Before you start:
    • Backup your data, like call history, contacts, sms, WhatsApp messages, favourite app settings that are on internal and external sd (by using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore). At least all internal data will be lost in any case. If you have bad luck you might also loose data from your external sd card.

Download:

Install recovery:
    • Reboot your device into Odin mode: turn off your device, then press Volume-Down + Home + Power button at the same time and release them.
    • Confirm the following warning message with the Volume-Up button.
    • Connect your device to your PC via USB
    • Make sure the device driver's are installed on your PC
    • Start Odin
    • In Odin select PDA and select the recovery image (recovery.tar.md5)
    • Check that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" is set
    • Click on "Start": the kernel image should be flashed now and the device should reboot afterwards. By flashing the recovery, your warranty will be void.
    • After the recovery flashing process was successful, power of your device. If not restart into Download mode and flash again or flash the stock rom.

Before you flash:
    • You need the latest TWRP recovery (see above). Otherwise TWRP might not be able to flash the ROM. This is because TWRP checks now if the device is "supported".
    • Wipe the device to avoid problems with remaining files from the old installation (see instructions below). This also applies if you already installed an older version of CM 12.1.

Flash CyanogenMod:
    • Reboot into recovery mode (Press Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
    • If you come from a stock ROM, this is your opportunity to make a Backup of your phone(Backup, then select Boot, System, Data, then swipe to backup). Note that the recovery might fail to restore the backup when you want to go back to the stock ROM (for me it got stuck after a restore during boot. But the backup was made with a different version of TWRP, so it might work in general) - simply do not expect too much of it at the moment.
    • If you haven't copied the installation files yet, you can now copy the GApps and CyanogenMod zip to your internal sd or external sd (be careful not to put the files into the data directory of the internal sd card as this will be deleted in the next step). Be sure that MTP is enabled (inside Mounts, click on Enable MTP), then, from your pc, copy the files. If MTP does not work from recovery, try it directly from Android or remove the external sd card from the phone and put it into your PC.
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe). Do not report problems if you did not wipe those partitions as the problems are most probably related to this!
    • Install the CM 12.1 ROM zip-package
    • Install the GApps zip-package
    • Reboot the system and enjoy a Lollipop

How to root:
    No SuperSu is needed as CyanogenMod already comes with integrated root support. Root access is disabled by default.
    You normally do not need root access. If you want to activate root access for apps, do the following:
    • Open the Settings menu, select "About Phone"
    • Tap on the "Build number" entry seven times. You should be notified, that the developer settings are now active.
    • Open the Settings menu, select "Developer options". Enable root access by selecting "Apps" in the "Root-Access" setting.

In case you want to go back to the stock ROM:
    • lf you do not have the latest ROM for the G800F you can download it from SamMobile
    • Reboot your phone into Odin mode
    • Open Odin on your PC and connect your smartphone with your PC via USB
    • If you have a zip-file unzip it so that you have a .tar.md5 file
    • In Odin click on the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file. Then press "Start".
    • Normally the stock rom fails to boot as the data from CM12 is still on the data partition. So after flashing the stock rom, reboot into recovery mode (it looks a bit different now). First wipe the data partition, then wipe the cache.
    • Reboot

Changelog
    Code:
    15/08/2015:
    * Synchronize with newest CM 12.1 sources (contains stagefright patches)

08/07/2015:
    * Update to latest CM-12.1 sources (LMY48G)
      * Camera app supports saving pictures to external SD-cards 
    * Partition sizes of system and data slightly reduced to avoid "unable to mount /system" failure during installation on some variants of the G800 (e.g. G800Y)

19/05/2015:
    * Update to CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1)
    * Merged Kernel-sources from G800FXXU1ANL1 
    * Re-enabled NFC
    * TWRP update

11/04/2015:
    * Update to CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1)
    * Update to TWRP 2.8.6.0
    * Fixed blinking capacitive touchkey lights
    * Fixed unresponsive touchscreen on wake-up
    * Added support for Automatic Brightness control
    * Added advanced touchscreen settings (Glove and Hovering mode)
    * Use open-source Light-HAL, Power-HAL and IR-HAL implementations
    * Updated Power-Profiling

23/03/2015:
    * Fixed non-working mic on incoming call issue
    * Fixed non-working menu-button
    * Synchronized with latest CyanogenMod sources

This section is for developers:
    A README file with build instructions can be found here:
    Code:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/patcher_kminilte

Sources:
    Code:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_vendor_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_kernel_samsung_kminilte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_smdk3470-common

Developers welcome
    • At the moment the G800F/M/Y specific port of this ROM is only done by one person (hennymcc). Although Unjustified Dev also works on this ROM he does not own an Galaxy S5 Mini but a Galaxy Light which has a similar base but is different when it comes to camera, nfc and other components (maybe even slightly when it comes to audio and radio).
    • Help from other developers is always welcome. See the bug/feature section and this thread to see what is missing. Just give some short info (here in this thread or PM) that you want to work on some issue or feature so that work can be synchronized. Maybe there are also other devs that want to work with you on the same issue.
    • Knowledge in how the kernel works and good programming skills in C, C++ and Java would be nice but not necessary for all problems. At least you should be able to build the ROM and test your changes yourself but you do not need experience in porting ROMs.

Thanks to Unjustified Dev from Team Regular. As the S5 mini (G800F/M/Y) and the Galaxy Light are quite similar we worked on this together.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [G800F/M/Y][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for G800F/M/Y [Alpha 15/08/2015], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini

Contributors
    hennymcc, Unjustified Dev
    Source Code: https://github.com/cm-3470

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery [version from 15/08/2015]
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-04-15
    Last Updated 2015-09-22
    Thanks

C60OgW8.jpg

As you can see I am compiling on my laptop since I am staying at my friends for vacation so compiling will take longer especially when I have the sources on my external HDD
    A new untested build is available here:

Same disclaimer as before:
    As this is untested, bricking your device is possible. It is also possible that the ROM does not boot at all.
    Report problems in this forum.
    After a crap ton of patches @hennymcc and I got our first compile done. I will try to flash mine once my compile is done.
    Compiling CM 13 at the moment, wish me luck. If I get it to boot there might bee some bugs from before since I will add patches later