603 posts
Thanks Meter: 5,244

Post Reply Email Thread
4th May 2016, 12:43 AM |#6001  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

AFAIK that is the very reason the adaway zip exists.

From this thread's OP:

"Flash for systemless hosts file
This flashable zip preps your device so that AdAway can remain pointed to /system/etc/hosts yet never actually touch your /system partition.
A prerequisite for using this is having one of the SuperSu systemless root installed.
Download: AdAway_systemless_hosts_v2.zip :: shasum = 1bbd9ce73adb0a433995e14c4642e75ae03a9bef"

.. but then I dont use systemless and am just a test driver "hey what's that noisy thing under the hood of this car"?

The intent of the system-less adaway zip is that one can continue to use adaway as normal while also not modifying /system (this is accomplished by bind mounting /system/etc/hosts to /su/etc/hosts).

My point was that this zip won't help users who have issues writing to /system/etc/hosts because (as discussed above) "systemless" root does not preclude one from mounting /system r/w. However, I admit that I don't know how the bind mount affects the write permissions of /system/etc/hosts -- I suppose that it's possible that with that in place /system doesn't need to be mounted r/w (just /su) which would sidestep a user's issue if their issue is mounting /system r/w.

Really my point is that if a user says that their adaway is having issues writing the updated hosts file then "you need to flash the system-less zip if you have system-less root" isn't actually valid advice. More helpful advice / investigation would be to figure out if that user is capable of mounting /system r/w in general.
4th May 2016, 12:58 AM |#6002  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,331

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccit

The intent of the system-less adaway zip is that one can continue to use adaway as normal while also not modifying /system (this is accomplished by bind mounting /system/etc/hosts to /su/etc/hosts).

My point was that this zip won't help users who have issues writing to /system/etc/hosts because (as discussed above) "systemless" root does not preclude one from mounting /system r/w. However, I admit that I don't know how the bind mount affects the write permissions of /system/etc/hosts -- I suppose that it's possible that with that in place /system doesn't need to be mounted r/w (just /su) which would sidestep a user's issue if their issue is mounting /system r/w.

Really my point is that if a user says that their adaway is having issues writing the updated hosts file then "you need to flash the system-less zip if you have system-less root" isn't actually valid advice. More helpful advice / investigation would be to figure out if that user is capable of mounting /system r/w in general.

Please dont take this personally, but I just dont understand the widespread persistent interest in trying to redefine the already existing clarity of the OPs and countless other posts in this thread. It is a rabbit-hole of circular chicken-egg discussion about stuff that has already been explained.
"...
Go ask Alice
I think she'll know

When logic and proportion
Have fallen sloppy dead
"
4th May 2016, 01:03 AM |#6003  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Greenify permissions are not working and keep turning off since I installed this.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
4th May 2016, 01:09 AM |#6004  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 823

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9guy

If this was asked sorry I searched but my Nexus 9 wifi tablet on Android n preview 2 running SuperSU 2.71 keeps having the host file downloads fail each time on my adaway 3.1.1 and I tried the zip for systemless root unless I am missing something I didn't see any info on what to do with it tried to install it but just opened to folders, am I supposed to flash it in recovery ? Adaway 3.1.1 worked fine for me on preview 1. Sorry but ads drive me up the wall I can't live without my adaway omg I never loved an app more yes we are spoiled but can someone please steer me in the correct direction as I am pulling my hair out I can't deal with these ads on all my apps lol.

Not sure if this works in N... What error you get when it fails?
4th May 2016, 01:12 AM |#6005  
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronTechmonkey

Please dont take this personally, but I just dont understand the widespread persistent interest in trying to redefine the already existing clarity of the OPs and countless other posts in this thread. It is a rabbit-hole of circular chicken-egg discussion about stuff that has already been explained.

Because people clearly do not understand. Just last week there was an extended back and forth that included the following:
"@ last two posts... What version of supersu are you on (systemless root ?)... If so, did you flash the systemless root .zip prerequisite from twrp? See OP for details/links."
"If you are on android 6/M and using supersu v2.56 or later then you are systemless root... You must flash the prerequisite .zip file from twrp, read this thread post #1 for details."
"*Facepalm*
Regardless of what you Andorid 6 current version SuperSU folks all "believe"... Just continue to read up on systemless root and"
Which then of course started discussions about systemless root in general... This type of bad advice is exactly what I'm talking about that we should clear up in this thread so that going forward everyone can be on the same page.

And frankly, if you felt that my comments were just beating the dead horse, then your comment trying to say as such are really just another blow to the same horse...
4th May 2016, 01:21 AM |#6006  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,331

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccit

Because people clearly do not understand. .

Exactly
4th May 2016, 01:27 AM |#6007  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 195

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by githyanki

Not sure if this works in N... What error you get when it fails?

I get copy failed then below copying of file hosts file failed! Then under that I get please read help for more information. With the option for help or close. I have read all of the help area and can find nothing referring to Android n. I had it working fine on preview 1 with the same 3.1.1 and also with the same SuperSU 2.71 beta pretty sure it was that or the 2.68 but chainfire lists that Android n users should use the SuperSU 2.71 as it's now including Android n support also and not just marshmallow.
4th May 2016, 06:23 AM |#6008  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 823

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M9guy

I get copy failed then below copying of file hosts file failed! Then under that I get please read help for more information. With the option for help or close. I have read all of the help area and can find nothing referring to Android n. I had it working fine on preview 1 with the same 3.1.1 and also with the same SuperSU 2.71 beta pretty sure it was that or the 2.68 but chainfire lists that Android n users should use the SuperSU 2.71 as it's now including Android n support also and not just marshmallow.

Did it ever prompt you for su access?
4th May 2016, 10:44 AM |#6009  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Hello, I add some sites to my Blacklist and I patch de host file, but doesn't work on Opera browser.
COf course, it's a problem of Opera. But anyone know why this happen?
Sorry for my English.
4th May 2016, 10:53 AM |#6010  
Flag Banská Bystrica, Slovakia
Thanks Meter: 2,051

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by piri_vm

Hello, I add some sites to my Blacklist and I patch de host file, but doesn't work on Opera browser.
COf course, it's a problem of Opera. But anyone know why this happen?
SorrySorry for my English.

AFAIK Opera has data saver function, if is enabled then AdAway will not work...
The Following User Says Thank You to Ja_som For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ja_som Ad-Free
4th May 2016, 03:50 PM |#6011  
Thanks Meter: 2

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrRobinson

That's what I did. I uploaded a good and working app. Ad free isn't open source so I can't build it's latest version. Clearly you don't understand that. If you want adfree go download it somewhere else as this thread is just for adaway.

Perfect reply
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ad block, adaway, adblock, adblocker, source

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)