Vote on whether your Dell Venue Pro is crashing frequently

Is your Dell Venue Pro crashing frequently (once or more per day)?

• Frequent crashing, 16GB model, less than 14GB available storage remaining

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • Frequent crashing, 16GB model, more than 14GB available storage remaining

Votes: 12 10.8%
  • Frequent crashing, 8GB model, less than 6.5GB available storage remaining

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Frequent crashing, 8GB model, more than 6.5GB available storage remaining

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No frequent crashing, 16GB model, less than 14GB available storage remaining

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • No frequent crashing, 16GB model, more than 14GB available storage remaining

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • No frequent crashing, 8GB model, less than 6.5GB available storage remaining

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • No frequent crashing, 8GB model, more than 6.5GB available storage remaining

Votes: 8 7.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

pjfan75

Nov 16, 2010
Trying to see if there's something in common with those who are experiencing lock ups.

Last edited:

sureloch

Aug 4, 2007
Colorado
Seem like I am having some crashing, though it seems to be dependent on using data service with little or no 3G reception. 16gb Model.

gshocker

May 20, 2006
San Diego
My units is not crashing all the time but it does it at least once a day which is bad. It seems to be when trying to switch between using cell network and WiFi. Would be nice if it was fixable with firmware.

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010
Mine hasn't crashed so far. I tried downloading Harvest Game and it went fine over wifi. Tried heavy browsing with music in bgrnd and that too was fine. Only issue was the Bluetooth not communicating to the car properly. Its been a week now.

gauravr88

Jan 4, 2010
chicago
ive crashed only once, which was in the newsroom app, i was also updating marketplace one time and instead of crashing it would just take me back to the start menu..

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
In the first 36 hrs I had the phone, I spent at least half of it in the PC connect screen. The phone would not boot...well..sometimes. Then it would boot by itself...reboot rather.

I called MS, ZUNE support. They helped walked me through some basic steps. Apparently I was touching the side buttons, camera, volume down, while powering up. Not sure if this was true, but dam they could reproduce the PC connect everytime. Since that call, I was more careful about powering up and have had no problems since.

I do get a lag in IE on WiFi, sometimes, not often, but daily. I found a web page that always sends me back to the desktop.

But crashing.....I have to be honest and admit that most of the crashes...if not all, in the first 36 hrs, probably were user errors. Now, I'm not a novice. I own more smartphones than most people on this forum. And if the phone buttons are that sensitive, then something is not right. However, since I've grown accustomed to the button layout and sensitivity, I've not had a single malfunction.

I've also recognized that certain apps are prone to causing, umm....unexpected results. Maybe instead of voting on crashes...we should keep a list of app suspects....

palmbluetooth

Feb 27, 2006
I got 2 units.
The first one had the Wifi issue and was constantly crashing.
The second one the Wifi is good, and it never crashed.

Maybe is related?

Lionstone

Dec 30, 2010
Seem like I am having some crashing, though it seems to be dependent on using data service with little or no 3G reception. 16gb Model.

Same here, also 16GB model. Every crash I've had has either been related to the Marketplace, or it's happened when my rickety 3G connection had poor signal.

yasserwaqas

Mar 14, 2009
Crashes a lot. Sometimes back to back so after doing numerous battery pulls, I had mine switched out. Its always an app though that crashes it and the screen becomes unresponsive. Phone goes to home screen and the people hub is grayed out. Its not an os specific crash cuz my hd7 doesn't do that.

efjay

Nov 18, 2004
So far phone is mostly stable, crashes have been only with wifi enabled, and only had 1 other crash without wifi on. Been running for the last 3 days, no crash at all.

kr33mo

Jun 15, 2008
thatsmy5cents.wordpress.com
I have had my phone almost a week and have been noticing the crashing a bit more frequent. It always seems like when I am in the MP or using an app that requires retrieving data from the cloud.

phuguet

Nov 8, 2008
I got mine since November... never saw it crashing

Only once it would not start...I had to remove the batteries and put them back on.
I have a feeling it goes with having it in your pocket for a long time.
Sometimes (happened twice in 3 month) the screen locks but it has something to do with static electricity, or rain (I switched on and off and it worked).

I got it upgraded to 32 GB by swapping the micro SD card.
Took a while to boot.... (I think it reformats the card) worked like a charm!
Fankly, it is the sexiest piece of hardware I've owned in a long time.

Much more stable than any phone I ever owned.

MikeDupp

Nov 21, 2010
I've had my 16GB since the 28th. I have not had a single crash, freeze or hang in the 5 days I have been using it. OS performance wise, it has pretty much been perfect.

I am probably not a typical owner though. I was an existing T-Mo customer on the EM+ plan. I didn't have to call or activate the DVP with T-Mo. I just took the SIM out of my flip phone and put it into my DVP and was up and running. Since I am on EM+ and I paid full price for the phone, I am also not required to have a data plan and I haven't gotten around to adding one yet. Everything I have done is solely over Wifi. I think the fact that I don't have a data plan is going to wind up being the explanation for my lack of problems. I don't know if it is a Microsoft or Dell problem, but 3G and WiFi just don't seem to get along well on the DVP.

Even though I have been limited to Wifi, I have been using this thing constantly trying to get everything setup. I haven't had any Marketplace issues at all. I've been using the Facebook, Twitter and Netflix apps quite a bit. No Xbox Live stuff or YouTube app though. I installed the LastPass app and tested almost all of 50+ logins without any issues. All in all, I think I have given my DVP a fairly tough stress test and I honestly have to say it has passed with pretty high marks.

That's not to say my DVP is perfect though. I have had some bugs. The biggest for me is the cellular antenna. I get a mediocre phone signal in my apartment. My flip phone would hover between 2 and 3 bars out of 5. I get much worse reception on the DVP. I get a ton of No Service notices, especially when I pick it up. But it isn't just a death grip issue. I'll sit the phone on the arm of my couch and watch it fluctuate between No Service and 1 or 2 bars. If I want to make a call on the DVP, I have to take laps around my apartment trying to find a decent signal. Not fun. Outside of the dead zone that live in the reception is fine. If I get 5 bars, it stays at 5 bars no matter how I hold it. I also don't care for the SMS texting app. When I attempt to send a text while I have a low signal, I don't get a confirmation either way after I hit send. I sent 3 texts in a row out on Thursday afternoon and only 1 got through. It would have been nice to see a "Message Sent" or Message Failed" confirmation either way. I also can't import Contacts from my Sim. I see the box for it on my People Settings page, but it is greyed out. Very annoying. And I know it's a known issue with Microsoft, but the not being able to connect to a WiFi with a hidden SSID is just ridiculous.

I really haven't made up my mind yet on whether I am keeping my DVP. On the one hand, I really like WP7 and it seems like I got lucky and got one of the problem free DVP's. But I'm also not sure if I can live with the bad reception at home. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if anything interesting is announced at CES.

Saitek009

Jan 16, 2010
Idaho
16GB and it locked up all of the time... It would just freeze there with whatever it was on the screen. That happened until I turned Wifi off. Now it's great. The only time that it crashed with wifi off was when I was running Beezz and it just hard locked for some reason.
So I would like to have Wifi... 3G coverage is spotty at best where I live. What are the chances of a firmware fix, ya think? I'm almost tempted to send it back to Dell... Even though I love it to death. Gosh that keyboard is amazing...

I sure hope it gets sorted out...

notebookgrail

Nov 12, 2010
Can someone list the symptoms of crashing? Is it just screen freeze or apps won't launch when touched or something different? I had case y'day where except people, email and phone, none of the other apps would launch. When launched it would just return to the home screen right away. Then a battery pull fixed it. That was the first i had the issue since receiving the phone on 12/23. I have time till end of this week to decide on return or replacement.

Kyzgar

Feb 22, 2007
I am probably not a typical owner though. I was an existing T-Mo customer on the EM+ plan. I didn't have to call or activate the DVP with T-Mo. I just took the SIM out of my flip phone and put it into my DVP and was up and running. Since I am on EM+ and I paid full price for the phone, I am also not required to have a data plan and I haven't gotten around to adding one yet.
Mike, have you received any calls on it yet? My experience has been that you can make outgoing calls all you want, but you need to tell T-Mo the new IMEI number to receive calls. That could also be why you haven't gotten a notification about the text messages.

When I called T-Mo to get the phone set up, they also told me about the available insurance plans (from $5.99/mo that covers the phone completely-loss/theft/damage/etc, to less than $2 for minimal coverage). I was on an out-of-contract plan too and had to pick up the phone at full price. My plan was phone+data, no messaging, so I only pay for texting. Everything done over WiFi or 3G has been great.

As for crashes, I think it's locked up 3 times now that required removing the battery and putting it back in. Those all happened within the first few days of owning it, but not since. (got it on the 23rd)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can someone list the symptoms of crashing? Is it just screen freeze or apps won't launch when touched or something different? I had case y'day where except people, email and phone, none of the other apps would launch. When launched it would just return to the home screen right away. Then a battery pull fixed it. That was the first i had the issue since receiving the phone on 12/23. I have time till end of this week to decide on return or replacement.

Those kinds of problems happen on all WP7 from what I've read and seen. You shouldn't have to pull the battery in that case. Just hold down the power button for about 5 seconds until you see "Goodbye". Then you can turn the phone back on.

The issue others are reporting is that the phone is totally unresponsive and cannot be reset without pulling the battery. Based on the results of the poll so far, this appears to happen far more frequently on the 16GB than the 8GB model - only 1 person with an 8GB model has said they have frequent crashes.
    That reminds me of another thing that annoys me about WP7, the Call History is terrible. You can't delete individual items in the list. You either have to keep everything or delete everything. That's just idiotic.

Yes, you can delete individual item. If you keep pressing the individual item (similar to how you do 'Pin to Start'), it brings up the 'Delete Item' option.
    Remember, in WP7 there so many tricks like this if you happen to press a item/title for long.