[UPDATE][ICS]Stock Android 4.0.3 IML77, Root, via CWM Recovery (US Wi-Fi MZ604)

Search This thread

evolishesh

Oct 10, 2010
This my be a stupid question. But can I install this on a completely stock Xoom on 3.2.1?

Never mind. I figure it out

Last edited:

tysonstephen

Oct 26, 2009
Ok,

So after playing with this for hours and hours trying to get it to install via CWM and having it continually abort the update i finally just said screw it and extracted the boot and system file from the zip file (stock IML77) and used fastboot to flash the 2 files directly, rebooted and now ICS is on my Verizon Xoom.... I believe this rom is for the wifi only version but i do not us 3G or the LTE so i don't care, just wanted to play.... anyways if anyone else is having troubles, maybe this will work for you.... I had reverted back to stock 3.2.1 first though, but don't think it really matters.

mrpdaemon

Mar 3, 2011
Thanks for the ROM, works like a charm...

Found one issue though, Picasa sync for Gallery stops working when the Google+ app is installed - nothing short of uninstalling the Google+ app makes the Picasa albums show up. Anyone know of a solution to this?

TheStickMan

Sep 16, 2011
I'm wondering if any further OTA updates will be able to be installed, since this is root. Thanks. :)

klenovsky

Apr 18, 2006
Sofia
Hi all
I'm using rogue 1.3 was on the older version, but flashed it on, rebooted and than it recognises everything.No problems for now. Everything works perfect and very very smooth! Huge difference from Honeycomb.

Great job!

nigeldr

Jun 7, 2007
Successfully flashed this update on my rooted wifi xoom (australian model). Had to perform the full rest as I got stuck in the dreaded boot loop but thanks to titanium backup was back up and running in no time at all.

Strongly recommend investing the time to perform a full titanium backup before beginning this update.

Reactions: stachre

ali4ek

Jun 12, 2010
Replaced the update-script in the zip, flashed fine, had to wipe user data (factory reset) in order to boot up though, dalvik + cache wasn't enough.

After wiping user data booted up instantly.

currenter

Feb 19, 2007
athens
hello my friends.i have a xoom mz601(greek).i followed the exact instructions and it works flawlessly.very nice update and fast.remember to do a factory reset before you proceed to boot animation or else you will stuck there!

**be carefull in 2 things..the new bootloader is deleting your internal storage.so its better to backup before you proceed.the next thing i see is that it has some rooting problems.it seems that is rooted but not unlocked.so i performed one more time oem unlock...thanks for your attention!

Last edited:
Reactions: wowrainyman

Stretlow

Jun 3, 2010
not a massive poster on these forums, but my god, this is awesome, ive been plagued by touchscreen issues on other ICS roms, but so far (touch wood) it has been fine. Thanks for bringing stock ICS (google wise, not AOSP), its been what i have wanted for a long time.

Being from Cheltenham I presume you have a uk wifi version and it works fine?

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
Anyone used this after using EOS' ICS ROM? Just wondering how 3D gaming works on this - I hate to say it but on the EOS ROM 3D gaming has taken a major hit over HC3.2, even at 1.5Ghz the performance is worse than stock Honeycomb, at least on all of the games I've tried (GTA3, ShadowGun, Nova 2, N64oid, etc).

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
hello my friends.i have a xoom mz601(greek) <snip>

**be carefull in 2 things..the new bootloader is deleting your internal storage.so its better to backup before you proceed.the next thing i see is that it has some rooting problems.it seems that is rooted but not unlocked.so i performed one more time oem unlock...thanks for your attention!

In my testing on US MZ604's, I saw neither of those things happening.

1. Flashing the bootloader (new to the 3.2 update, included in this package to ensure consistency) had no impact on other partitions, including internal storage/userdata.

2. The bootloader remained unlocked. This can be verified by running "fastboot getvar unlocked" or "fastboot getvar all" to view all variables.

Are you certain that internal storage was deleted by the flashing of the bootloader? Had you already wiped data or re-unlocked (both will wipe your internal storage) at that time?

Also, are you certain that the bootloader was locked by performing the update? What did the device do that led you to that conclusion?

I appreciate your feedback! :)

MildewMan

Dec 25, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
Just loaded this on to my US-Wifi xoom. Worked like a charm. I didn't use the modified CWM that was included in this post. I used the newest version from Rom Manager, so I had to put the zip file on the internal storage of my Xoom.

ICS seems very smooth so far. Not a whole lot of difference in visuals, but a few subtle changes are there. I do love the new shades of blue. Can't wait to get ICS for my phone, so I can get rid of the alien green from GB (I know I can modify them out now, but meh).

stachre

Mar 30, 2011
I'm wondering if any further OTA updates will be able to be installed, since this is root. Thanks. :)

Short answer: no.

OTA's usually check the boot partition (in addition to many files) to see if it matches the current stock version prior to updating. default.prop is in the boot partition, so having flashed a rooted version of it (see post 2) will cause that check to fail, preventing the update from continuing.

If you remove the checks from the OTA updater-script, the update will probably run, but you may run into issues later. It would be safer to return to stock and apply the stock OTA, or find a match for your needs in what the dev community provides.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheStickMan

ali4ek

Jun 12, 2010
In my testing on US MZ604's, I saw neither of those things happening.

1. Flashing the bootloader (new to the 3.2 update, included in this package to ensure consistency) had no impact on other partitions, including internal storage/userdata.

2. The bootloader remained unlocked. This can be verified by running "fastboot getvar unlocked" or "fastboot getvar all" to view all variables.

Are you certain that internal storage was deleted by the flashing of the bootloader? Had you already wiped data or re-unlocked (both will wipe your internal storage) at that time?

Also, are you certain that the bootloader was locked by performing the update? What did the device do that led you to that conclusion?

I appreciate your feedback! :)

Internal storage remains intact, I confirm.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [size=+1]BEFORE YOU BEGIN[/size]

CUSTOM ROM AVAILABILITY: This is a stock rooted update (stock ROM, stock kernel), NOT a full-featured custom ROM. If you want the latest custom features implemented by Team EOS, install the appropriate Team EOS ROM (Team EOS Xoom 3G/4G MZ602 ICS ROM) (Team EOS Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ICS ROM); otherwise, if you want stock 4.0.3 IML77 ROM and kernel with root, continue below.

COMPATIBILITY: This update is for the US Xoom Wi-Fi MZ604 ONLY!!! If you have a Xoom 3G/4G, this procedure may break your device. If you have a non-US Xoom Wi-Fi, this procedure may break your device (though some have reported success). The update script verifies only whether the device identifies itself as a Xoom, performing NO CHECKS on the exact model of Xoom before flashing rooted stock 4.0.3 IML77 system and boot images. This means it won't stop you from flashing on a non-US or 3G/4G device; it will just flash and you're left with the mess (if any). Please proceed only if you're tech-savvy with Android and the Xoom, backed up and ready to restore in case of issues, and good at troubleshooting. Please provide feedback and corrections, and I'll update the post as quickly as I can. Thanks!

WARNING: Following this procedure may damage or permamently destroy your device. This procedure is provided with NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. Perform this procedure at your own risk.

[size=+1]SUMMARY[/size]

This is a modded update package (update.zip) that updates the US Xoom Wi-Fi from any ROM to stock rooted Android 4.0.3 IML77 using ClockworkMod Recovery:
    • Flashes bootloader from a previous update (3.2.1 HTK55D) to ensure integrity
    • Flashes the boot partition with rooted stock 4.0.3 boot image, stock kernel
    • Stock ICS update fixed the Bluetooth tethering issue that was introduced in 3.2
    • Stock kernel includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    • Flashes system partition with rooted stock 4.0.3 image (minus the recovery overwrite script)
    • Includes Superuser.apk 3.0.7 and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    • Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions
    • Leaves existing recovery partition intact (stock 4.0.3 update overwrites it on every reboot)
    • Leaves user data intact (note: some users updating from custom ROM's recommend wiping data/factory reset to prevent issues)

[size=+1]PREPARATION[/size]

[size=+1]PROCEDURE[/size]
    1. Backup your data
      If you have issues with this update, you may need to "wipe data/factory reset" before the system will fully boot properly. For some, simply copying the contents of the Xoom's internal storage (mostly music, pictures, videos, etc.) to their PC is enough. Others require backup of their apps, app data, etc. using more robust solutions like Titanium Backup. Backup your data according to your needs.
    2. Copy/download the modded Android 4.0.3 Update package to the SDCard
    3. Reboot into recovery
      • Reboot your Xoom
      • When the Motorola logo splash screen appears, press the Volume Down button to scroll through boot options and select "--> Android Recovery"
      • Press the Volume Up button to enter Android recovery
    4. Wipe cache and dalvik-cache
      Note that in recovery, you use the hardware volume buttons to navigate up and down, and the power button to select. Note also that if you are coming over from a custom ROM, users suggest backing up data and doing a "wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery instead.
      • Select "wipe cache partition"
      • Select "Yes - Wipe Cache"
      • Select "advanced"
      • Select "Wipe Dalvik Cache"
      • Select "Yes - Wipe Dalvik Cache"
      • Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
    5. Optional: Perform nandroid backup (long)
      If you have issues with this update, you may need to "wipe data/factory reset" before the system will fully boot properly. Performing a nandroid backup in ClockworkMod Recovery allows you to fully restore your device's state if you need to revert for whatever reason. Note that backing up even a bare system runs a few minutes, so this could take a very long time and require the availability of a power charger. You also need sufficient free space on your SDCard to perform the backup; the backup process does not verify required space before starting, simply failing (and wasting your time) if it runs out.
      • Select "backup and restore"
      • Select "Backup"
      • Be patient :)

"Backup complete!" will indicate that the update is completed.
    6. Perform update
      • Select "install zip from sdcard"
      • Select "choose zip from sdcard"
      • Select the modded Android 4.0.3 update package
      • Select "Yes - Install <filename>"

"Install from sdcard complete." will indicate that the update is completed.
      • Select "+++++Go Back+++++"
      • Select "reboot system now"

New bootloader will install. The message, "Congratulation! Your bootloader was successfully upgraded" will be immediately followed by an automatic reboot.
    7. Enjoy your rooted Xoom Wi-Fi, running on Android 4.0.3 IML77!

[size=+1]POST-UPDATE NOTES[/size]

• Stuck on Motorola logo/Bootloops: Users report "Wipe data/factory reset" in ClockworkMod Recovery often resolves this issue.
    • /system/build.prop errors: The updater-script mounts system and verifies that the product is a Xoom according to build.prop to prevent updating a completely different device. Some users are reporting issues with this. Until the issue is resolved in the update package, a version of the updater-script with this check removed (attached to this post) can be used:
      1. Download the attached updater-script_no-buildprop-check.txt
      2. Rename to updater-script
      3. Make a backup copy of the update package
      4. Open the update package in an archive manager (Winzip is usually a no-go; use 7zip in Windows)
      5. Navigate to /META-INF/com/google/android and replace updater-script with the one you downloaded
      6. If necessary, save the archive
      7. Follow the update procedure above

[size=+1]CHANGELOG[/size]

• v03: Accommodate devices running AOSP and Chinese leaked ROM's.
    • v02: (unreleased test)
    • v01: First release, IML77; includes root, Superuser.apk, su
    [size=+1]UPDATE PACKAGE DETAILS (v01)[/size]

BOOTLOADER: flashed with stock 4.0.3 IML77 bootloader
    • Extracted from a previous update package (3.2.1 HTK55D)
    • Bootloader flashed after reboot
    Code:
    BCT[4->4] (vendor: 0x101 product: 0x5454 vers: 0x0)
    RECOVERY: not flashed; left intact​

BOOT: flashed with modded stock 4.0.3 IML77 boot image with stock kernel
    • Kernel: flashed with stock 4.0.3 IML77 kernel
      • 2.6.39.4-gf03a679 android-build@apa28 #1
      • Includes no extras (overclocking, etc.) from custom kernels
    • default.prop: modded IML77 default.prop (ramdisk)
      Code:
      ro.secure=0
      ro.allow.mock.location=1
      ro.debuggable=1
      persist.sys.usb.config=mtp
    SYSTEM: flashed with modded stock 4.0.3 IML77 system image
    • build.prop: stock 4.0.3 IML77 build.prop
      Code:
      ro.build.fingerprint=motorola/tervigon/wingray:4.0.3/IML77/239789:user/release-keys
      ro.build.description=tervigon-user 4.0.3 IML77 239789 release-keys
    • REMOVED: Stock recovery install script, patch
    • ADDED: Superuser.apk 3.0.7 and su binary to enable functioning root (thanks, chainsdd)
    • Hardware SDCard continues to be read-only via documented application permissions
    USERDATA: Launcher favorites updated with new Market intent (included in stock update from Google)
    • /data/data/com.android.launcher/databases/launcher.db: updated with new Market intent.
    I have uploaded stock rooted in my thread

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1571467

I would also love a similar 4.0.4 update, please!

Update notification is becoming annoying...
    Perfect. Off to the store to snag a card.

Cheers!

Flash this recovery. It allows you to see both memory cards and is awesome!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16992697

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium