The Official Galaxy R Off-Topic Thread

Search This thread

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
Hi Guys,

I figured we need to have a place where we can talk about regular, everyday stuff amongst ourselves, without having to venture all the way across to Off-Topic. So, this is my little present to you; feel free to discuss anything and everything (within the XDA rules, of course) :good:

Things which will get this thread locked:

- Discussion of warez (illegal software such as paid .apks, cracked .apks, illegal serials etc.)
- Discussion of sales (if you'd like to sell your phone, please list in the XDA Marketplace)
- Profanity, racism or any other inflammatory/trolling behaviour.

Keep it clean and civil, and enjoy yourselves!

Justin

Last edited:

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai
Thanks Justin for this thread.

Just a qwik story of my luck with os upgrades and my journey to Galaxy R. Its last year i decided to buy a smartphone and my first was Wave 2 (Bada OS). I liked it very much and the only limitation is lack of apps. It was in bada 1.2. I waited so so long for bada 2.0 but it didnt came. Its time when we got leaked version of some other country. I flashed and its awesome. Just 3 days later, some one stolen my mobile (infact snatched). :( Then after another 2 months i got this SGR. During those time with Wave 2, i used to think only for bada i have to wait so long for an upgrade to 2.0 where as in Android, upgrades will happen more frequently. And here now im counting my days for ICS. Whereever i go, my bad i have to wait for the upgrade :laugh:

Reactions: juzz86

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
Thanks Justin for this thread.

Just a qwik story of my luck with os upgrades and my journey to Galaxy R. Its last year i decided to buy a smartphone and my first was Wave 2 (Bada OS). I liked it very much and the only limitation is lack of apps. It was in bada 1.2. I waited so so long for bada 2.0 but it didnt came. Its time when we got leaked version of some other country. I flashed and its awesome. Just 3 days later, some one stolen my mobile (infact snatched). :( Then after another 2 months i got this SGR. During those time with Wave 2, i used to think only for bada i have to wait so long for an upgrade to 2.0 where as in Android, upgrades will happen more frequently. And here now im counting my days for ICS. Whereever i go, my bad i have to wait for the upgrade :laugh:

Thanks for the opening post and a good story my friend, although I am sorry for your loss! I had a Wave (1) at release, and enjoyed Bada a lot at the time. Unfortunately I now rely far too much on Google services every day, and so have to stick with Android. Not that I mind of course, it has been a lot of fun watching Android start off as a promising yet lacking alternative to Windows Mobile, and go on to become the juggernaut it is today.

I make a habit out of 'collecting' all the devices I moderate on XDA. I am very much looking forward to sourcing myself a Galaxy R. I have always been fond of the design :good:

selva.simple

Feb 1, 2012
Chennai
Unfortunately I now rely far too much on Google services every day, and so have to stick with Android. Not that I mind of course, it has been a lot of fun watching Android start off as a promising yet lacking alternative to Windows Mobile, and go on to become the juggernaut it is today.

I make a habit out of 'collecting' all the devices I moderate on XDA. I am very much looking forward to sourcing myself a Galaxy R. I have always been fond of the design :good:

Yes. Ofcourse the dependency on Google services makes Android more vulnerable. Its great that u wanna add Galaxy R to your collection list, But with the Production being stopped for SGR, you may find it bit tough though to get one.:cowboy:

ZeXzr

Apr 18, 2012
Zrenjanin
I decided to buy a Samsung Galaxy R I could take s2, so far I have no problems, but my country has no official samsung service and unfortunately if I had a problem with the phone I think it will be a problem because production was stoped, and no one here does not know that there is Samsung Galaxy R :/ But I'm glad to have this phone and to share experiences with people on xda, few of us, but we are very united and organized :)

mj.vikram

Mar 2, 2012
XDA 24 X 7
Nice to have thread for Off-Topic's thank yo Justin :), we are happy to have you on board welcome to Galaxy R family...

Still Galaxy R is available in Market, you can get it from here they will ship it from Hongkong :cool:...

vrj

Jan 25, 2012
New Delhi
my journey to the android world and the smartphone world started on 19 jan... when i bought my 1st smartphone which is Glaxy R... i am glad to have this phone and to great extent satisfied with its performance..... only black mark with this phone i think is very poor promotions by the samsung team, due which it is not famous consequently having poor development compared to other....... but this does not bother me a much because i m very delighted to be a member of small but great group of XDA Galaxy R.......through which i am able to know a lot about everything related to a smartphone....
GLAD TO BE HERE AND HAPPY TO HAVE SUCH GEAT DEV's FOR GALAXY R
:good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good::good:

chandrus1983

Jan 18, 2012
Somewhere In India
this is my story :p
my dad gave me 1Lakh INR, and i got a new Apache RTR 180 and in the remaining money i got my SGR, in January :D :D
although i am not a heavy mobile user, i like my phone very much no matter what people say about this, n TBF, i really dont care about ICS :D
my bro has Galaxy Note, sis has Galaxy S2, i have SGR n Nokia N8 ;)
i am thinking to sell my SGR n get Note 2, once ICS will be released for SGR, so that phone value goes high :D
Cheers !

vipul12389mehta

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
Its good to have an off-topic thread..
Well previously i was using Nokia e-71. i had previously never used touch phone..
while buying SGR, i had pretty 5-6 options..
I-phone 4s, SGS2, SGR, Moto Atrix, Nexus..
Ruled out 4s coz sim unlock wasnt out..
Ruled out S2 coz of price, Moto Atrix coz of brand..

I preferred SGR nly coz of Nvidea..and this Nvidea is really f***ing us...
but the experience is good, really njoing the phone..

i just bought an accessory OTG cable and is working nice..

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
Yeah, I think the announcement is due late August, I'm looking forward to seeing the design. Samsung getting better at keeping their designs hidden until release.

Tell me, do you guys have the notorious 'eMMC' issue that plagues the Note/S2 where it can hard brick if you wipe data/factory reset from CWM?

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
No until know we don't have these kind of issues :), But we are afraid it may happen with ICS update which is scheduled by end of this month :confused:.

Of course, my apologies :) I would hope the command was removed by the time official ICS hits for the R. It can be removed from re-packed ODIN firmwares, so I'm sure one of our talented Devs will be able to cook up a 'safe' one :good:

vipul12389mehta

Feb 27, 2012
Mumbai
I really like new mod juzz86..
Atleast he takes time from the busy shedule n communicates with the community members..keep up the work....

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: juzz86

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
I really like new mod juzz86..
Atleast he takes time from the busy shedule n communicates with the community members..keep up the work....

Sent from my GT-I9103 using xda app-developers app

Kind words mate, thank-you. I am always available to help you guys, so please feel free to contact me anytime if you need something! :)

juzz86

Retired Senior Moderator
i must say, your DP is awesome :p
lol so funny XD

Thanks! I used to open every post with 'Good news, everyone!' but it got a little repetitive, haha :good:

It's the good Professor from Futurama. I came across this awesome rander of him, and decided to crop it and use. Here it is in its entirety:

Futurama-Professor-Hubert-J-Farnsworth-3D-Bust-by-TranzorZ3D.jpg

:good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Attached pictures tell everything. :)
    Have you heard of OmniROM? I've built the first unofficial version of it from unpublished Gerrit repos. Screenshots can be found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2481797. If pulser says yes, the SGR and the Captivate Glide will be officially supported, I will be a co-maintainer for these devices. :good:
    Uploading is at 20%. :)
    Here is some detailed information on the new port.
    It is based on the latest (Dec 26) CM10 with the built-in kernel (so far) and on WanamLite V14.1 (based on XWLSD 4.1.2 with 889555 changelist, the latest so far).
    Almost nothing works. A lot of native code is missing from CM, they all have to be revised and fixed. Motion support and ripple/ink effect will never work (motion needs a big amount of native code, ripple effect library is compiled against NEON and gives SIGILL, ink effect needs ripple), multiwindow does, but is very glitchy at the moment (you can open two windows, but cannot resize, this is maybe because of the unlimited multiwindow mod making all apps compatible). Other features that are only implemented in Java code will all work. Since this is a stock rom, vibration works with good intensity and can be set to users' choice. I generally feel it a way smoother than LQ7 and LQ9, but this can be because of the small amount of applications installed.
    Next goals will be gradually adding system apps and fixing present and upcoming issues.
    Well, our SGR gets an unofficial port of Ubuntu Touch Developer Preview. Screenshots attached, dev thread will be created as soon as upload finishes. :good: